Sign in to follow this  
AintNoStoppinMeNow

Jaylen Samuels PITT - RB/TE - Sneaky Value?

Every year I try and look for a player who has dual eligibility at multiple positions and could be used as a "cheat code" in fantasy. The greatest cheat code of all time was Marques Colston being TE eligible his rookie season in NO. A WR posting 70 catches, over 1k yards and 8 TDs and being able to plug him into the TE slot felt like cheating. Since then I've had decent success with guys like Denard Robinson (starting RB for the Jags for a stretch that you were able to slot in to your WR slot) and Ty Montgomery most recently (another starting RB you could plug in to your WR slot) And of course who could forget Joe Webb who started for the Vikings at QB while you were able to play him in fantasy as a WR for one game.

That of course brings me to Jaylen Samuels who has shown pretty well for the Steelers in the preseason. While he may be third on the depth chart behind Bell and Conner, I think the Steelers are going to find ways to get him on the field. He had 77 total yards and a TD called back tonight. Four catches for 36 yards on five targets to go along with 41 rushing. He scored a goal line rushing TD last week vs the Packers. Samuels doesn't exactly excel in any one area but does many things well (run, catch, block) that will get him snaps. He's a jack of all trades that could be used in many different situations. If he gets a regular role, he could provide great value at the very weak TE slot in fantasy. If anything happens to Bell, he could provide outstanding value. Don't rush out to draft him just yet but he's a name to keep in mind.

He went undrafted in my league. I'm putting together my pre-week 1 WW bids now and am considering him for sure. Someone in my league drafted Connor as Bell's backup, so I'm not sure if Samuels is on anyone's radar in my league.

He went undrafted in my league. I'm putting together my pre-week 1 WW bids now and am considering him for sure. Someone in my league drafted Connor as Bell's backup, so I'm not sure if Samuels is on anyone's radar in my league.

He's on my radar, but it's a stretch in a smaller league. 12 team he is a nice lotto ticket. 14 team league I would definitely be targeting him

This is huge. Probably one of the best and most valuable threads on board right now. I went Ricky Seal-Jones at TE in 13th and then in 14th took Jaylen. Hes gonna be a solid 5-7 points a game with upside and hes not wasting a bench spot by holding two TEs bc hes an RB too. Genius. Love it

Iffff bell sits out 6 games. Or he goes down or gets traded. Samuels has the chance to win a league for you in a ppr .A rbbc for sure. But one of the running backs is actually a slot receiver...annndddd rb/te eligible in yahoo leagues.

On CBS he is only listed as a RB. Damn. If I had some roster space I would add him, but I already have Conner. I could drop Kumerow, but my backs are pretty much loaded. My receivers are the ones who may need someone else to pop, which is my Kumerow is more valueable to my team. If I was sure Bell wouldn't play, I would grab Samuels right now. I would hate to drop Kumerow and he ends up being Rodgers second favorite options in the pass game.

I started this thread based on Samuels having the very valuable TE designation on Yahoo. If he's RB only in your leagues, then obviously the value drops but given the uncertainty regarding Bell right now, I still think he's well worth a roster spot at the end of your bench.

On CBS he is only listed as a RB. Damn. If I had some roster space I would add him, but I already have Conner. I could drop Kumerow, but my backs are pretty much loaded. My receivers are the ones who may need someone else to pop, which is my Kumerow is more valueable to my team. If I was sure Bell wouldn't play, I would grab Samuels right now. I would hate to drop Kumerow and he ends up being Rodgers second favorite options in the pass game.

Kumerow on IR

So its been decided.. Samuels is the 18 Dede Westbrook.

Probably. But the last round flyer makes it cost effective.

Maybe the guy will be heard from and maybe he won't. But one of the oldest pitfalls in Fantasy is to put too much stock into performance in preseason games. You should almost never change your evaluation of a player significantly based on this. Samuels is still a 3rd or 4th string RB with two very capable and healthy guys ahead of him.

I don't think Samuels will get enough snaps to warrant rostering. It's nice to have a guy like this, but really, unless Bell holds out all year AND Connor get's hurt, he's not going to warrant starting at either TE or RB.

I picked him up... More than likely I'll drop him soon enough but ya never know and things are getting ugly in Pitt regarding Bell and his teammates

I'm going to spoil the Samuels party a bit. Last I saw actually had the pecking order as Bell - Conner - Stevan Ridley - Samuels. That could change if Conner were go down. But Samuels has some challenges in the blocking game that I think the coaching staff isn't ready to fight just yet. Connor had the same last year and it kept him off the field even before the injuries.

Anybody gonna start him at TE this week? I drafted him in my keeper league in 14th round as my TE2. Was debating starting him over Ricky Seal-Jones this week

Anybody gonna start him at TE this week? I drafted him in my keeper league in 14th round as my TE2. Was debating starting him over Ricky Seal-Jones this week

If you are starting Samuels week 1, you clearly had a horrible draft.

I dont play in 8-10 team leagues like you waterhead. Dynasty and keeper leagues dont have Trey Burton going in the 11th round like all the kindergarten free work leagues your in. You probably have no idea who Jaylen Samuels even is. Nor the fact that starting the pass catching RB on a team that throws the ball a lot would warrant a TE1 designation and is a sneaky veteran move. Keep drafting in those free league using Matt Berrys rankings and youll be the #1 fantasy guru at all your family reunions for years to come. I drafted Ricky Seal-Jones as my main TE, But you probably think hes an RnB singer.

If you are starting Samuels week 1, you clearly had a horrible draft.

And of course who could forget Joe Webb who started for the Vikings at QB while you were able to play him in fantasy as a WR for one game.

Joe Webb was a QB/WR in Yahoo that whole season, although he didn't play QB until week 14. I rode him to a championship that year (to be fair, I had a great team all around and in the end didn't even need his points in the last game). A WR in your third slot (in a 6pt passing TD league) throwing for passing TDs and running in TDs, while you still have another QB playing in your QB spot? Unstoppable. I think that three game stretch was better than any 3 games of Colston's, and came at the right time (weeks 14-16).

Heres a guy who gets it

Joe Webb was a QB/WR in Yahoo that whole season, although he didn't play QB until week 14. I rode him to a championship that year (to be fair, I had a great team all around and in the end didn't even need his points in the last game). A WR in your third slot (in a 6pt passing TD league) throwing for passing TDs and running in TDs, while you still have another QB playing in your QB spot? Unstoppable. I think that three game stretch was better than any 3 games of Colston's, and came at the right time (weeks 14-16).

I have Connor and also Samuel.....Samuel is a outstanding receiver and a decent rusher using good vision and power on a nearly 230lb frame with 4.5/40 speed.....With Bell in question and even TE Vance McDonald on the shelf, I think Samuel will have a opportunity week one to showcase his talent...Connor is unproven on game day production or even his ability to handle a heavy work load which could open the door for Samuels with his multi abilities.........He could end up being the late round steal of the draft if Bell elects to holdout or even traded.....

So i have david nijoku who while being a potentially good te is going up against a steelers team that erases tight ends. 4th lowest amount allowed last year.

I am gonna use samuals. I can see him being used on 3rd downs and maybe used as a move TE with Mcdonald being hurt.

6 to 7 catches total and 50 yards would put him in the top 10 in my ppr league.

I wouldn't be relying on Samuels week 1, no way. There's every chance he's this year's...hmmm, who did I hold onto last year expecting to break out any minute because of how awesome he was and they'd 'surely have to see'? Dede? Corey Davis? Josh Doctson?

I may roster him (have Conner, won't roster both), but I wouldn't start him. YMMV.

The Swiss Army knife players are always intriguing - didnt Terrell Pryor and Dexter McCludter have this dual designation for awhile ? Possibly Samuels gets a bump in return leagues? Worth a stash in deeper leagues.

I picked him up for the lowest amount possible last night. I have room on the bench for a player or two that I don't need right now. With 12 teams and 21 roster spots, the players filter out quickly. And let's say Bell doesn't show up, and Connor gets ad injury. Here is what the slogan should be for the NFL: "Next up!"

So here's my dilemma.

I currently have Chris Ivory on my bench. Why? No idea. I don't like him (nothing personal), I don't want him, I don't think any Bills players are going to win me anything. SO...

I have Conner. Starting him over Chris Thomson (I think) this weekend. But both Samuels and Mike Gillislee are available. Apparently, the Saints only have two RBs at the moment. Anyone have input about Samuels vs Gillislee (dropping Ivory)?

So here's my dilemma.

I currently have Chris Ivory on my bench. Why? No idea. I don't like him (nothing personal), I don't want him, I don't think any Bills players are going to win me anything. SO...

I have Conner. Starting him over Chris Thomson (I think) this weekend. But both Samuels and Mike Gillislee are available. Apparently, the Saints only have two RBs at the moment. Anyone have input about Samuels vs Gillislee (dropping Ivory)?

Gillislee has serious value for 4 weeks. I would lean toward him since you already have Conner

And let's say Bell doesn't show up, an Connor gets and injury. Here is what the slogan should be for the NFL: "Next up!"

eggfockinzackly

Gillislee has serious value for 4 weeks. I would lean toward him since you already have Conner

Thanks--I was thinking the same about Gilly. I would guess they'd like to use him like they used Ingram...? Likely not much after those 4 weeks, but 4 weeks is 4 weeks.

Thanks--I was thinking the same about Gilly. I would guess they'd like to use him like they used Ingram...? Likely not much after those 4 weeks, but 4 weeks is 4 weeks.

4 weeks of RB2 possible RB1 numbers? That's gold off the ww in this game. If my team wasn't loaded at RB I would have snagged him. If i need to start him in the first 4 weeks I am in a lot of shlt.

4 weeks of RB2 possible RB1 numbers? That's gold off the ww in this game. If my team wasn't loaded at RB I would have snagged him. If i need to start him in the first 4 weeks I am in a lot of shlt.

Yeah, I just grabbed him :)

I don't know if I'm starting him this week. It's my keeper league, so I came into the draft with Hunt and Cook, and I have Connor and Chris Thomson (PPR) as well, RB/RB/Flex. Not starting Gilly over Hunt or Cook, and because he only got to NOLA like yesterday, not sure if he's a better bet than the other guys.

But he's a damn bit better than Chris Ivory. lol Thanks man :)

You probably have no idea who Jaylen Samuels even is.

Correct. Because I compete in 12-man redrafts regularly, and dont pretend to be an NFL GM as I have a real job that Im asked to manage regularly. I dont start threads about players who barely made their respective team, let alone start on my fantasy team because I think Im such a fantasy guru.

Hey man, good luck. After watching a couple preseason games, obviously you are qualified to assess professional football talent. Just do me a favor and fooking prove you are really going to start this guy rather than just throw out his name and hope it sticks.

My kindergarten, amateur self is going to start James Conner in a flex this weekend. Lets continue this discussion on Monday, and see how we both did.