Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

The League needs to get their heads out of their asses and straighten this Banned Substance policy the hell out... There is no way we should have guys accidentally taking banned stuff. The list should be clear and evident.

The League needs to get their heads out of their asses and straighten this Banned Substance policy the hell out... There is no way we should have guys accidentally taking banned stuff. The list should be clear and evident.

Agreed, but that's not really been their style.

They like to make it up as they go along.

the league needs to get their heads out of their asses and inform goodell that he will straighten out the disciplinary policy or they will delegate it to someone who will. goodell is good at bringing in money--fine, stick to that. his disciplinary policy is a farce.

Won't make the headline news, but Dallas locking up Collins for 2 years is a huge signing.. They must really believe he's the real deal and future at RT, bcoz even for a 2 year deal, that wasn't chump change.. I'm encouraged at their confidence in him.

Now I can get back to worrying about LG.

Won't make the headline news, but Dallas locking up Collins for 2 years is a huge signing.. They must really believe he's the real deal and future at RT, bcoz even for a 2 year deal, that wasn't chump change.. I'm encouraged at their confidence in him.

Now I can get back to worrying about LG.

see, i'm really on the fence about this signing. i like it in and of itself, but its cap implications are pretty scary. i keep goofing around with a cap analysis for bloggingtheboys, but it's too much like work to track down cap information already in excel format. i'm too lazy for that lately.

the short version is this: how many top contracts can one team carry without gutting their team structure? in 2017, DAL has 3 top-5 OLmen, a top-5 earning WR, the 8th RB by salary (even in his rookie contract), and 2nd-highest TE cap number for witten. this means that they have to economize somewhere. despite the benefit of getting a franchise QB for only a half-million dollars, they're spending almost twice as much on offense than on defense. the top 4 offensive players make more than the entire defense. this despite the fact that the last two playoff campaigns have ended due to mediocre defensive play. and when you look at position group spending for the future, DAL will have one of the highest OL allocations, one of the highest WR allocations (3rd highest this season), one of the highest RB allocations, and three years from today, one of the highest QB allocations.

that means playing with a talent void on defense, or going right to the early 2000s team structure of high-dollar superstars and junk for depth.

who are the cowboys going to be? if they are going to be a great OL with dak and zeke, then they need to let everyone else on offense walk, and try to build a defent defense. or they're going to have to let zeke and dez walk, and give the team completely to dak. giving second contracts to players like twill and collins looks good right now, but is terrible in the long run. i'm a beas fan, but drafting switzer to replace him in 2 years was the right move.

Dlaw is in a contract year. irving is in a contract year. hitchens is in a contract year. wilson is in a contract year. wilber is in a contract year. byron goes next year.

look at the guys who will be expiring after 2019: lee, scandrick, thornton, malik, tapper, jaylon, heath, brown, frazier. and then cheeto, lewis, x woods, crawford, and taco the following season.

you have to have bargains somewhere in order to conserve cap space and allocate it strategically. la'el was a bargain, but now he's not. the only offensive starter bargains remaining are at QB and LG. meanwhile, the defense...

• Like 1

thanks, man. it's all just talk right now--i really need to sit down, crunch the numbers, and set up a proper analysis to demonstrate the point clearly. is there anywhere that has cap info already in .xls? because i HATE spreadsheet data entry.

Dak is blessed to have Zeke to make his 15 yd passes. Lets allow him to get his shorts dirty before we call this years projection at 21 a franchise player sirensong.

see, i'm really on the fence about this signing. i like it in and of itself, but its cap implications are pretty scary. i keep goofing around with a cap analysis for bloggingtheboys, but it's too much like work to track down cap information already in excel format. i'm too lazy for that lately.

the short version is this: how many top contracts can one team carry without gutting their team structure?

I'm always worried about the Cap.. But when your star QB and star RB are locked up in rookie deals, you're afforded a little flexibility.. Bcoz of this, I'm willing to relax a bit and give a little leeway to other spots. I'm still VERY worried about a pass rushing end, LG, Taco and the LB corps - but not so much the cap in regards to Collins (assuming he's everything they say he is at RT).

Dlaw is in a contract year. irving is in a contract year. hitchens is in a contract year. wilson is in a contract year. wilber is in a contract year. byron goes next year.

These are the guys you're worried about, this is what makes you nervous - losing this bunch?

Boy not me.. These clowns are part of the mediocre, half ass culture that's cemented the losing defensive stench around here.. Irving is talented, but he's not a difference maker. D-Lawrence? Yea he's talented, but he's also a trouble, stupid ass, often injured knucklehead... I can find guys to give me what these underachieving tards have given me - and for much cheaper.

These are the guys you're worried about, this is what makes you nervous - losing this bunch?

Boy not me.. These clowns are part of the mediocre, half ass culture that's cemented the losing defensive stench around here.. Irving is talented, but he's not a difference maker. D-Lawrence? Yea he's talented, but he's also a trouble, stupid ass, often injured knucklehead... I can find guys to give me what these underachieving tards have given me - and for much cheaper.

you're not hearing what what i'm saying, and are making my point for me. the issue isn't specific names--the issue is that we're rapidly returning to the superstar/bum team structure that brought DAL years of mediocrity. replacing the 'clowns' for cheaper means giving away accumulated years of development time/salary investment for free, and trying to replace their contribution on the cheap (i.e., with underachieving FAs or rookies).

IOW, you're still finding bargains exactly as i mentioned earlier. but instead of strategic bargain-hunting, you're willing to play an entire defense of bargains--and completely gut team depth--in exchange for having a flashier offense. amusingly, this is precisely the opposite of what you were shrieking for the last 5 years--that jones was too obsessed with shiny offensive toys when it was the defense that was the problem. now you're fine with no defense and no depth? it confuses me.

again, the accumulated salaries of the top 4 offensive players is more than that of the entire defense. that unbelievable imbalance in team structure got worse after the twill deal and the la'el deal, and is going to get even worse after the inevitable martin deal. it's dangerous.

IOW, you're still finding bargains exactly as i mentioned earlier. but instead of strategic bargain-hunting, you're willing to play an entire defense of bargains--and completely gut team depth--in exchange for having a flashier offense.

I don't want to buy anything, I want to build this defense thru the draft - with kids which for the 1st time in forever, we seem to have taken steps in doing.. I do NOT want to extend hefty deals to the likes of Tank, Irving nor Hitchens.. If they want to take less to stay, cool - we can talk.. The imbalance only seems imbalanced bcoz the money is flipped. If it were all going to a QB and RB, nobody notices.

The concerns you have are also, both directly and indirectly, the result of poor drafting... How nice would it be to have a bonafide starting LB taken with the 2nd round pick we wasted on Jaylon? Or a bonafide starting offensive lineman we wasted the 3rd round pick for on Chaz? ...... I've killed this team for throwing money at Bells and Whistles for ever, going back to the days of Joey Galloway and that dumbass trade - I'm not going to kill them for solidifying their offensive line.. And with the Cap going up every year, Collins may turn out to be a reasonable signing.

I don't want to buy anything, I want to build this defense thru the draft - with kids which for the 1st time in forever, we seem to have taken steps in doing..

except that you can't "build the defense through the draft", because so much money is allocated to the offense that it's impossible to re-sign defensive players to second contracts unless they're not very good. we can't even afford to re-sign Dlaw unless he gets hurt again. as one of the beat guys tweeted yesterday, "lawrence is the best DLman on the team, and it isn't close." you want to get rid of that guy and go with less talent and a cheaper price tag, but that won't help sack rodgers in january. and until this team can sack rodgers in january, they're not going anywhere. late-1st-round rookies and journeyman FAs are not going to sack rodgers in jauary, but that's all DAL will be able to afford if they keep spending on a gold-plated offense.

spending money for twill and la'el means less cap for the defense, and less cap for depth. that team structure is exactly--EXACTLY--why the romo-era cowboys never advanced past the divisional round. you diagnosed this accurately back in 2011, so why can't you see it now?

fun fact: 23.4% of the defensive cap is tyrone crawford. the rest of the defense splits only $34 million. defense wins championships, right?

except that you can't "build the defense through the draft", because so much money is allocated to the offense that it's impossible to re-sign defensive players to second contracts unless they're not very good.

Well somebody better tell that guy in NE that he's been going about it all wrong. All those SBs he's won with castoff defensive players that nobody else wanted - they must be tainted.. Somebody might want to also tell teams like Minny and Seattle that the defenses they built thru the draft aren't as good as they, and the rest of the league, thinks........... Now, there will come a day when you do have to make tough budget decisions - when you do have to look at cost analysis and determine who you can and can not pay.. But here in Dallas, bcoz we have 2 of the most prized and expensive positions locked up in rookie deals for 4 more years - we can afford to maneuver a bit.

But like I said, we are in this "mess" bcoz Jerry ignored the defense, missed on the defense and spent stupidly on the defense for way too long... The likes of Tank Lawrence do me absolutely no good if I can't depend on his ass to be on the field or stay out of trouble. We've got 49 defensive ends on this team - and just fired a 1st round pick on one, now you're telling me that idiot Lawrence is a must have? No thanks.

Since I'm remising, I go back to the 2015 draft... That was about as deep as a RB draft class as we've seen in years.. Everyone here (including me) was dead convinced we'd take one somewhere in that draft - and of course, we passed. The likes of Jay Ajayi were sitting there as late as the 5th and we still passed.. Fast forward to the 2016 draft, with the 4th pick we fire off and take Zeke. Why? Bcoz we needed a rb.. Many (including me) were not on board, many (including me) wanted us to either take Ramsey or move down and grab extra picks - all to be fired at the defense........ We should of already had our rb on this team heading into 2016 and we should currently now have all kinds of (cheap) (young) kids contributing to this defensive rebuild... Instead we're worrying about how to pay for the likes of Tank, Hitchens and Irving - all guys who aren't even good enough to start on most other teams........... Mediocrity rinse and repeat.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/damontre-moore-suspended-two-games/

The Cowboys are waiting for word on possible discipline for running back Ezekiel Elliott, but they’re padding their lead in suspensions since 2014 even if Elliott avoids the long arm of the league office.

The NFL announced on Friday that defensive end Damontre Moore has been suspended two games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. He will be able to play in the preseason and practice with the team until the week leading up to the season opener.

Eli may put up 70 against what's left of the "defense". :dunno:

Well somebody better tell that guy in NE that he's been going about it all wrong. All those SBs he's won with castoff defensive players that nobody else wanted - they must be tainted.. Somebody might want to also tell teams like Minny and Seattle that the defenses they built thru the draft aren't as good as they, and the rest of the league, thinks........... Now, there will come a day when you do have to make tough budget decisions - when you do have to look at cost analysis and determine who you can and can not pay.. But here in Dallas, bcoz we have 2 of the most prized and expensive positions locked up in rookie deals for 4 more years - we can afford to maneuver a bit.

But like I said, we are in this "mess" bcoz Jerry ignored the defense, missed on the defense and spent stupidly on the defense for way too long... The likes of Tank Lawrence do me absolutely no good if I can't depend on his ass to be on the field or stay out of trouble. We've got 49 defensive ends on this team - and just fired a 1st round pick on one, now you're telling me that idiot Lawrence is a must have? No thanks.

Since I'm remising, I go back to the 2015 draft... That was about as deep as a RB draft class as we've seen in years.. Everyone here (including me) was dead convinced we'd take one somewhere in that draft - and of course, we passed. The likes of Jay Ajayi were sitting there as late as the 5th and we still passed.. Fast forward to the 2016 draft, with the 4th pick we fire off and take Zeke. Why? Bcoz we needed a rb.. Many (including me) were not on board, many (including me) wanted us to either take Ramsey or move down and grab extra picks - all to be fired at the defense........ We should of already had our rb on this team heading into 2016 and we should currently now have all kinds of (cheap) (young) kids contributing to this defensive rebuild... Instead we're worrying about how to pay for the likes of Tank, Hitchens and Irving - all guys who aren't even good enough to start on most other teams........... Mediocrity rinse and repeat.

but forget all that stupid defense stuff now, right? because adding another top OL contract will help the defense, right? so let's pay collins.

you keep talking about magicking up defensive players. to quote parcells, you can't just go down to the store and buy one. tank will almost certainly be better this year than any rookie DE, and possibly next year also. hitchens is a 100-tackle guy, who has made clutch plays against top competition. and the whole league is raving about irving. where are you going to find better players than these guys in 2017 or 2018? you're not. you're not going to be able to draft them, and you're not going to be able to afford them in FA because you spent your money on offense.

cap allocation for the teams you mentioned as examples that DAL should follow:

NE: offense $88M, defense $66M

MIN: offense $82M, defense $65M

SEA: offense $79M, defense $89M

DAL: offense: $85M, defense $44M

maybe if the cowboys spent $20M more on defense, their defense would be a little closer to the NE level...but still $24M short of why SEA is so good.

but forget all that stupid defense stuff now, right? because adding another top OL contract will help the defense, right? so let's pay collins.

you keep talking about magicking up defensive players. to quote parcells, you can't just go down to the store and buy one. tank will almost certainly be better this year than any rookie DE, and possibly next year also. hitchens is a 100-tackle guy, who has made clutch plays against top competition. and the whole league is raving about irving. where are you going to find better players than these guys in 2017 or 2018? you're not. you're not going to be able to draft them, and you're not going to be able to afford them in FA because you spent your money on offense.

maybe if the cowboys spent $20M more on defense, their defense would be a little closer to the NE level...but still $24M short of why SEA is so good.

Not sure NE is a great comparison. They have arguably the best QB ever taking a salary that's ranked in the middle of the league for qbs because he has a rich wife. Not every team has that luxury

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from? They just don't add up even with the Cowboys stuck with $16,255,190 in dead cap.

The salary cap for 2017 is $167 million.

I'm enjoying the back and forth between you and Cruzer...good info from both of you.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from? They just don't add up even with the Cowboys stuck with $16,255,190 in dead cap.

The salary cap for 2017 is $167 million.

I'm enjoying the back and forth between you and Cruzer...good info from both of you.

numbers are from each team's top-level page on overthecap. at this point in the preseason it's just the top 51, but those last 2 are usually around rookie minimum. for example, DAL is currently at $16.2M dead money, with $15.1M in cap space (top 51).

what's amusing is that cruzer and i have basically flipped positions over the last couple of years. we both wanted a defender instead of zeke (i wanted bosa, he wanted ramsay), but on balance, i've been more OK with DAL's offensive focus and cruzer has been upset about the lack of defense. but this offseason was my breaking point. they should have let twill walk, and spent that money on defense. they should have let la'el play out his contract, and used that money on defense. so now i'm ranting about defense just like cruzer was for the last couple of years. OTOH, cruzer is making the argument that i was making for the last couple of years--you reinforce strength, not weakness.

he and i are archetypal cowboys homers--we show our love for the team by bashing it, but no one else gets to bash our team, because they're our team and we love 'em!

Bcoz throwing $30m at Lawrence and $12m on Hitchens is the answer...? We threw $45m at Crawford and $17m at Thorton - how's that working out? ......Resigning your own mediocre crap, just bcoz they happen to be the best of the mediocre crap on your team, is a recipe for failure.

But back to Collins - you keep repeating the phrase "another top offensive contract", have you actually looked at his deal?

* 2 year deal, but in reality - it's basically a 3 year deal.. Collins is only guaranteed $9.5m - total.. Obviously you'd expect him to go beyond that - but worse case, you have an out.

* In 2017, there will be 20 RTs with bigger Cap hits than Collins - bargain. Which again affords you a little flexibility elsewhere.

* After the 2018 season, you can cut Collins for less than $1.5m.

* Doug Free cost you: $4.5m in 2016, $3m in 2015, $6.5m in 2014 and $6.5m in 2013...... With the yearly increases in the Cap, you're basically still committing the same amount of money to the position.

Sirensong is that rare breed of knowledgeable, non-homer Dallas fan. Keep up the good work.

Bcoz throwing $30m at Lawrence and $12m on Hitchens is the answer...? We threw $45m at Crawford and $17m at Thorton - how's that working out? ......Resigning your own mediocre crap, just bcoz they happen to be the best of the mediocre crap on your team, is a recipe for failure.

But back to Collins - you keep repeating the phrase "another top offensive contract", have you actually looked at his deal?

* 2 year deal, but in reality - it's basically a 3 year deal.. Collins is only guaranteed $9.5m - total.. Obviously you'd expect him to go beyond that - but worse case, you have an out.

* In 2017, there will be 20 RTs with bigger Cap hits than Collins - bargain. Which again affords you a little flexibility elsewhere.

* After the 2018 season, you can cut Collins for less than $1.5m.

* Doug Free cost you: $4.5m in 2016, $3m in 2015, $6.5m in 2014 and $6.5m in 2013...... With the yearly increases in the Cap, you're basically still committing the same amount of money to the position.

no--you're getting caught up in the names, while i'm talking about the approach. i'm not talking about throwing money at lawrence--my point is that DAL can only afford to re-sign lawrence if he sucks. if he's any good at all, someone else will be able to pay him more than jerry can. that means 4 years of player development isn't just completely wasted--it's given away for free to a competing team. by comparison, hitchens is exactly the kind of guy you want to keep around, because no one is ever going to pay him like a starter. so in the language i've been using, hitchens is a bargain--a solid depth player at a non-starter pay rate. but if your defense is so talent-deficient that he has to start, you wind up paying him like a starter instead of a depth guy. the model for this kind of deal is kyle wilber, who has been an excellent bargain the entire time he has been here. my point is that the terrence willimas money would pay for 3-4 quality depth players, which makes a huge difference in january when all the starters are banged up and depth becomes supremely important.

anyway, i'm off to kendo, so i'll end this here. my point is that at some point, you have to quit buying bigger engines and start improving the suspension and steering. otherwise you can go really fast in a straight line, but can't win any race with curves.

Just in case anyone forgot.

2016 Draft

01:04 - Zeke Elliot - Dallas

01:05 - Jalen Ramsey - Jax

02:03 - Jaylon Smith - Dallas

02:05 - Myles Jack - Jax

Case Keenum , Nick Foles and Black Bortles more Championship Game appearances than any Cowboys QB since Aikman....

2016 Draft

Case Keenum , Nick Foles and Black Bortles more Championship Game appearances than any Cowboys QB since Aikman....

I won't claim to have had a strong opinion on Myles Jack going into that draft.......but I was definitely in the Ramsey camp.

Obviously I felt that way from a football sense, but not enough thought goes into the cap management aspect of it. Rookie contract salaries are slotted now based on draft position. Combine that with RBs on average making less than any other position besides TEs and it means the following: If you get a stud at any other position besides RB/TE, you are getting them at a nice discount for 5 years. If you pay a RB/TE top 5 draft pick money, you just made an unproven player one of the very highest players in the NFL at his position.

But I now root against the Cowboys, so I'm good with it.

2016 Draft

Mark Sanchez too. Ouch.

There's a good chance nobody outside Dallas would know Jalen Ramsey's name if he was unfortunate enough to be stuck on that defense.

jerry just hired the OL coach that CIN fired so that CIN could hire the OL coach that jerry fired.

and 2 or 3 other offensive coaches were either let go or moved on.

But Red gets to stay???????????????????????????????????????

and 2 or 3 other offensive coaches were either let go or moved on.

But Red gets to stay???????????????????????????????????????

you guys can attest that i've been more supportive of garrett than just about anyone except jerry himself. but yeah--that's pretty much done. i'd be perfectly happy blowing everything up, bringing in josh mcdaniel, and promoting eberflus to DC. hell, i'd be all for romo as HC. it was amusing to read brice butler's comments that romo was basically the offensive coordinator anyway.

but enough ranting--who are you guys looking at in the draft? minkah isn't going to fall that far, and derwin james probably won't either. any chance roquan drops to 19?

you guys can attest that i've been more supportive of garrett than just about anyone except jerry himself. but yeah--that's pretty much done. i'd be perfectly happy blowing everything up, bringing in josh mcdaniel, and promoting eberflus to DC. hell, i'd be all for romo as HC. it was amusing to read brice butler's comments that romo was basically the offensive coordinator anyway.

but enough ranting--who are you guys looking at in the draft? minkah isn't going to fall that far, and derwin james probably won't either. any chance roquan drops to 19?

Combine will always shuffle the rankings, so hard to say who will be there at 19, but I would actually love taking Vita Vea there.

Having a true 1 tech would go a long way in improving the defense overall.

Mock drafts are out - many of the local talk shows are openly hoping for Ridley to fall, or maybe even the OSU wr Washington.

Have these dumbass fans not learned anything - they want another offensive shiny toy with the 1st round pick??? :rolleyes:

Mock drafts are out - many of the local talk shows are openly hoping for Ridley to fall, or maybe even the OSU wr Washington.

Have these dumbass fans not learned anything - they want another offensive shiny toy with the 1st round pick??? :rolleyes:

agree, i just read bits and pieces of this entire thread. 21 years and 2 playoff wins.

Dad has a whisky glass that shows every year record and finish in 60s, 70s, and early 80s for Cowboys. Every year in the tourney and a ton of NFC Championship game appearances.

So sickening how the lower class idiots and dumbarses of Texas continue to support this pitiful franchise. I will be a Cowboy fan till i die but refuse to drink the koolaid or "this is the year" bs talk.

Jerrah the Hall of Famer.....what a joke.

I don't give a flip if jerrah has made money for the nfl. Just get me to the final 4. an nfc championship game and get crushed 38-7 like Minnesota did and i would be pleased. Just a little hope instead of this crap year after year.

If the cowboys were a publicly traded company our lil HOF Jerrah would of been canned in 2000

i swear to god, if the cowboys draft a WR in the first round i'm gonna go full cruzer rant rampage. there'll be blood and guts and verbs everywhere!

i swear to god, if the cowboys draft a WR in the first round i'm gonna go full cruzer rant rampage. there'll be blood and guts and verbs everywhere!

Take out the democrats first please.

Take out the democrats first please.

Politics (like religion) don't belong on the ff bored. Fair game on the geek club tho.

Politics (like religion) don't belong on the ff bored. Fair game on the geek club tho.

Board weirdo. Oh...You are so primed and experienced here... Go Bears.

Board weirdo. Oh...You are so primed and experienced here... Go Bears.

Go Bears indeed. Hope Nagy can develop Trubs. Sad to hear Long is in for another surgery.

Me and the rest of the Dark Siders will save a seat for you. :D

• Like 1