Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Several teams preparing to make Patriots a blockbuster offer for Jimmy Garoppolo

The smart move would be to trade Brady and let Jimmy start next year.

With Brady who is a brand all by himself, you ride it til the wheels come off. Bill will have zero hesitation dropping him like a bad habit once we all can clearly see he has declined. That might not be for a couple years. In the meantime keep selling these Matt Cassells for top dollar and watch them sputter out on other teams.

The smart move would be to trade Brady and let Jimmy start next year.

I would love to see what Brady's trade value would be right now.

the reason they are always there is they don't waste money paying players they can find to do it for less

less than 0 chance BB pays 2 QBS. NFC

Yeah I know they wont. Still if they could back load the contract, maybe it would be doable

Yeah I know they wont. Still if they could back load the contract, maybe it would be doable

the reason they are always there is they don't waste money paying players they can find to do it for less

Exactly

Agreed - which I think is even more proof that Jimmy G. is just "a guy"... Just a guy made to look like an all world must have under BB and that system... Getting a 1st for him, based on a 2 game NFL history - is crazy... But it could work out, always that chance.. Just seems odd not a single one of BB's castoff qbs has ever amounted to jack.

Looks like a Giants - Pats rematch in the super bowl next year.

im not saying Jimmy G is a bust but the thing is, this has all played out before. Matt Cassell got the same learning experience that Jimmy has received. We also so Brock Osweiler get to learn from another HoF QB in Denver.....

Some team will overpay up front for him because of the need for QBs in the NFL and in 2-3 years it will either look like a steal or a waste

GB gave up a 1st to ATL for Brett Farve who hadn't thrown an NFL pass. that worked out fine

Someone traded a 1st for Rob Johnson and obv the Cassel situation. Each situation is different

what is the point of over talking this subject?

are you guys trying to out crystal ball each other, or something?

Agreed - which I think is even more proof that Jimmy G. is just "a guy"... Just a guy made to look like an all world must have under BB and that system... Getting a 1st for him, based on a 2 game NFL history - is crazy... But it could work out, always that chance.. Just seems odd not a single one of BB's castoff qbs has ever amounted to jack.

Ok I can't help but get really annoyed at your statement. It's just obsurd. Beyond obsurd imo. What is the function of a 1st round pick? To draft a player who has never played in the NFL. We never really know how that transition will go for a player. Why is trading a 1st for Jimmy G so unbelievable when someone may waste that pick on Watson or Kizer anyway? If you think there is more potential in either of those two guys then you have not done proper scouting on them.

It's not like we just have 2 NFL games to go off of. Garappolo went to college where there is a ton of tape and production to study.

I always thought Mallet and Hoyer were bums and would dupe some team. Garappolo was different from the beginning. I believed he had potential to be a good qb in this league coming in, where the other guys I didn't have much faith in from the start. The other two qbs remind me more of Jacoby Brisset, who I doubt has what it takes to be even a middle of the pack qb.

Why people act like a 1st round pick is this holy entity and somehow more valuable than a player who has at least shown some promise is poor asset evaluation.

• Like 1

What is the point in talking about anything ever if it doesn't lead directly to action? I love football. I am obsessed. So talking about it makes me all happy inside.

What is the point in talking about anything ever if it doesn't lead directly to action? I love football. I am obsessed. So talking about it makes me all happy inside.

welome to 1998. :rolleyes:

welome to 1998. :rolleyes:

three posts in a thread you claim to have no interest in. You need to get a girlfriend or something Zzzzmamzz

Ok I can't help but get really annoyed at your statement. It's just obsurd. Beyond obsurd imo. What is the function of a 1st round pick? To draft a player who has never played in the NFL. We never really know how that transition will go for a player. Why is trading a 1st for Jimmy G so unbelievable when someone may waste that pick on Watson or Kizer anyway? If you think there is more potential in either of those two guys then you have not done proper scouting on them.

I don't think it's obsured at all... Forest for the Trees - depending on how you look at it.

Like I said, when 1 of BB's castoff qbs amounts to anything - I'll jump up and down with the same giddiness some seem here to have, maybe even be on board with swapping a 1st... But I've seen this act one too many times - it only ever works out for NE. I don't need to see it again to be convinced... Some apparently still do.

This is why people should listen to me on these subjects. The Bears have a lot of talent on their roster. They will have one of the best interior oline in the league. They have a young defense who ranked pretty good against the pass, spite having a bunch of young nobody's in the secondary. Their linebackers core has some young upside. They probably have the right receivers in place. Meredith is a stud and a true #1. Kevin White still has the potential to be a #1. It's building on the Bears. Garappolo makes them a playoff contender instantly.

Some of the pieces are there but I'm not sold on the D or any playmakers other than Meredith.

Bill O'brien wasn't there when they signed Brock.

What?

• Like 1

People talk like it's a hands down bad deal. They neglect to acknowledge he could be a franchise qb. So I feel it necessary to point out the obvious

Well I meant that if a QB ends up being a franchise QB, there's almost no price paid that would not be worth it... Unless a team hamstrings themselves so much that they can't out any line or weapons around that QB.

Giants

Cowboys

Going to be interesting to see what both our schedules look like.. One things for sure - the cake walks are over.

three posts in a thread you claim to have no interest in. You need to get a girlfriend or something Zzzzmamzz

Is Rocks Zzzmannzz? I knew he was an alias - figured he was Rusty too.

Giants

Cowboys

Eagles

Redskins

nah. Eli's the old man in a division of solid young QBs. They are the only team on the downslide. Everyone else is headed upwards

Going to be interesting to see what both our schedules look like.. One things for sure - the cake walks are over.

Opponents are known. Only difference is the Giants get the Lions and the Bucs, and the Boys get the Pack and the Falcons

nah. Eli's the old man in a division of solid young QBs. They are the only team on the downslide. Everyone else is headed upwards

disagree.

cowboys trending up.

eagles are an unknown. I am personally not completely sold on wentz even though he was my #1 QB in the draft (and yes, Dak was #2)

Redskins need to lock down Cousins. Even if they do, i'm not sure i see them trending up. Jordan Reed is a beast but cant stay healthy. We don't know what Doctson will be and Garcon and D-Jax are both likely gone leaving Crowder is the defacto #1 at this point.

The Giants just need O-line help. Cutting Jennings was addition by subtraction. Letting Perkins take over is the right move. their defense is very good and Eli is composed and has years left. The Giants need to sign or draft a left tackle and move Flowers to RT. Whitworth is the first guy that comes to mind.

we could talk about how many beads are in our hacky sacks but most of us arent the level of loser that plays hacky sack.

The Giants just need O-line help. Cutting Jennings was addition by subtraction. Letting Perkins take over is the right move. their defense is very good and Eli is composed and has years left. The Giants need to sign or draft a left tackle and move Flowers to RT. Whitworth is the first guy that comes to mind.

The Giants need a running game. Whatever combo of line/rb help they get - as long as it converts to a running game, that's what holding them back.

I don't think it's obsured at all... Forest for the Trees - depending on how you look at it.

Like I said, when 1 of BB's castoff qbs amounts to anything - I'll jump up and down with the same giddiness some seem here to have, maybe even be on board with swapping a 1st... But I've seen this act one too many times - it only ever works out for NE. I don't need to see it again to be convinced... Some apparently still do.

I don't know how else to put it. What else are they doing with Garoppolo? He is a free agent after this season. Why let him walk without getting anything in return? Especially when they can get a top 5 pick and then some in return? The only other option is to keep him just in case Brady falls off the cliff or gets hurt. I don't see why we assume he isn't good just because a few other backups there weren't good. The Pats are doing what they see as best for their franchise at this time, so I don't see how it's just dumping him.

It's like assuming Calvin Johnson would bust just because the other receivers the Lions kept drafting in the 1st were busts. One had nothing to do with the other.

I don't know how else to put it. What else are they doing with Garoppolo? He is a free agent after this season. Why let him walk without getting anything in return?

I don't know how else to put it - you're missing the point entirely.

For some reason you seem to think (I'm saying) it's stupid for NE to be dealing Jimmy G. Where you get that I have no idea... I think it's freaking BRILLIANT for the Pats to be dumping Garoppolo - and make no mistake, that's exactly what they'd be doing, dumping him... Like I said, it's what BB does - we've seen it time and time again with his spare qb castoffs... And it looks like he's actually going to get a 1st this time - pure genius.. It's why he's the GOAT coach/gm... He builds his guy up, showcases him in his system, makes him look like a stud, deals him for top dollar to the sucker team looking for pedigree gold, then drafts another no-name qb nobody ever considered good and repeats the cycle.

I'm also not suggesting that it's a stupid idea to deal for Garappolo - it's worth a shot... But for a 1st? Absolutely not, that's what would be foolish... And we've a list of NE castoff qbs to suggest my hunch is right.

Is Rocks Zzzmannzz? I knew he was an alias - figured he was Rusty too.

that hurts.

The Giants need a running game. Whatever combo of line/rb help they get - as long as it converts to a running game, that's what holding them back.

its more the offensive line. eli needs more time to throw to odell and shep. More holes need to be opened up for the run game. Jennings is gone and Perkins looked good in limited action. The fresh legs of a 2nd year back will be good for the rushing attack.

its all in bolstering the line. I would go hard after Whitworth, even at his age (considering eli is a win now QB an the defense is also set up to win now) and draft another guard in the 3rd or 4th,.

its more the offensive line. eli needs more time to throw to odell and shep.

They damn sure need a LT.. Flowers is going to get Eli killed - he damn near did last year.. Flowers is really bad.

you guys just wont shut up about this, will you?

maybe find a wesite or forum where others might be interested, too. :doublethumbsup:

It seems the Patriots will only trade Jimmy Garoppolo if they get a good enough reason to do so

That's some quality reporting right there.

I don't know how else to put it - you're missing the point entirely.

For some reason you seem to think (I'm saying) it's stupid for NE to be dealing Jimmy G. Where you get that I have no idea... I think it's freaking BRILLIANT for the Pats to be dumping Garoppolo - and make no mistake, that's exactly what they'd be doing, dumping him... Like I said, it's what BB does - we've seen it time and time again with his spare qb castoffs... And it looks like he's actually going to get a 1st this time - pure genius.. It's why he's the GOAT coach/gm... He builds his guy up, showcases him in his system, makes him look like a stud, deals him for top dollar to the sucker team looking for pedigree gold, then drafts another no-name qb nobody ever considered good and repeats the cycle.

I'm also not suggesting that it's a stupid idea to deal for Garappolo - it's worth a shot... But for a 1st? Absolutely not, that's what would be foolish... And we've a list of NE castoff qbs to suggest my hunch is right.

If he is a franchise qb it's worth the price though... how many teams are going to butcher their 1st rounder anyway? The fact that you think an unproven rookie who hasn't played a down yet has so much more value than Garappolo, that's just flat out wrong. People hold rookies on some pedestal for some reason. I'd probably be trading 1sts constantly were I a GM for under valued players. Because somehow a rookie is worth more.

They are getting rid of Jimmy because they have to, not because they just want to pull one over on a team while he has some value. You are acting like they are only getting rid of him because his value is hot, not because they have to. If he had 3 years left on his deal I bet they would keep him because they know he is probably worth more than what they will get in return. I would have tried to extend Jimmy last year on a very team friendly deal, knowing I would have Bradys replacement locked up. He looked that good to me. But then again I can usually tell the difference between someone like Winston getting lucky with his crazy passes in two games and Garappolo acting with poise and percision.

If he is a franchise qb it's worth the price though... how many teams are going to butcher their 1st rounder anyway? The fact that you think an unproven rookie who hasn't played a down yet has so much more value than Garappolo, that's just flat out wrong. People hold rookies on some pedestal for some reason. I'd probably be trading 1sts constantly were I a GM for under valued players. Because somehow a rookie is worth more.

They are getting rid of Jimmy because they have to, not because they just want to pull one over on a team while he has some value. You are acting like they are only getting rid of him because his value is hot, not because they have to. If he had 3 years left on his deal I bet they would keep him because they know he is probably worth more than what they will get in return. I would have tried to extend Jimmy last year on a very team friendly deal, knowing I would have Bradys replacement locked up. He looked that good to me. But then again I can usually tell the difference between someone like Winston getting lucky with his crazy passes in two games and Garappolo acting with poise and percision.

NE doesn't have to deal him, he's signed 1 more year.. Tom is still going to need a backup, who better than a cheap Garoppolo? Dealing him is a luxury - the same pawn game BB pulls all the time.. Keep holding onto the pipe dream that BB deals away star qbs - he has yet to do it yet.. But why stop? Teams keeping lining up willing to deal high round picks - they never learn.

less than 0 chance BB pays 2 QBS. NFC

I don't disagree with you at all so don't take it this way. It does someone baffle me that they don't pay a backup quarterback and have a good one just in case. How many times have we seen a starting quarterback go down and essentially the entire team is finished for the entire year. The only position that completely submarines an entire season if you lose him.... yet teams never want to pay one.

guess who tried to turn this into a giants thread?

NE doesn't have to deal him, he's signed 1 more year.. Tom is still going to need a backup, who better than a cheap Garoppolo? Dealing him is a luxury - the same pawn game BB pulls all the time.. Keep holding onto the pipe dream that BB deals away star qbs - he has yet to do it yet.. But why stop? Teams keeping lining up willing to deal high round picks - they never learn.

Compare the value though. He is one more year of cheap money that gives teams a free look in their system to determine value before committing to him. You franchise tag him then trade him after next year and the risk on trading for him goes up exponentially.

If Brady got injured they likely aren't winning a SB no matter who the backup is, so what does it matter. Brady playing 3 more years so you aren't keeping G anyways, he has to be traded or released for nothing

I know players better than most people. I think it's a great move and I would be ecstatic if the Bears got him for a 1st and 2nd. If he is a franchise qb the deal is worth it. I think he is a franchise qb and would take the Bears to a playoff contender. Get it done Pace!

The Bears suck.

guess who tried to turn this into a giants thread?

Lighten up. It got pretty stupid after the first 50 posts.