Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

*** 80's Song Draft *** Completed

I seriously considered this song at number 1

the most Iconic Song from the most Iconic movie

should have easily been a 1st rounder

2.12 Don't You Forget About Me- Simple Minds

I had this in mind as what I would have picked in the 3rd because I figured it would fly under the radar

I had this in mind as what I would have picked in the 3rd because I figured it would fly under the radar

Yeah, I figured the run on the new wave hits would start in about round 3-4.

Yah Im thinking Huey Lewis songs might have fell to round 8 at least. Maybe Im wrong

That's cool man. This and all non football drafts to me is not about winning the votes it's about songs (or whatever drafting) that meant the most to me.

I would never draft a Madonna song or Duran Duran song. No way.

C on Eileen was a HUGE hit but I hated the song and never would consider it.

Only 2 songs out of my wheel house I'd consider is Beat It and Thriller.

:RockOnHairBandsOfthe80's:

The Draft order is as follows. I generated it with a randomizer, it happened to work out that volty and I are on the turn, which works well given time differences.

1. RaiderHater

2. Hardcore troubadour

3. vuduchile

4. edjr

5. fandandy

6. shotsup

7. cruzer

8. dain11279

9. Nzoner

10. Suxbnme

11. Voltaire

12. Titans

Let's do ten rounds.

We'll expect it to be slow until after the weekend is over. After that, I will put a 24 hour clock on picks.

If anyone else wants to play, let me know. We'll make you an alternate.

1.01- Livin On A Prayer Bon Jovi RaiderHater

1.02- Superfreak Rick James Hardcore Troubadour

1.03- Sweet Child O' Mine Guns N' Roses Vuduchile

1.04 Pour Some Sugar On Me Def Leppard Edjr

1.05 Billy Jean Michael Jackson Fandandy

1.06 Welcome to the Jungle Guns N' Roses Shotsup

1.07 You Shook Me All Night Long ACDC cruzer

1.08 When Doves Cry Prince dain11279

1.09 Every Breath You Take The Police Nzoner

1.10 Like A Virgin Madonna Suxbnme

1.11 Back In Black ACDC Voltaire

1.12 With Or Without You U2 Titans

2.01 London Calling The Clash Titans

2.02 Master of Puppets Metallica Voltaire

2.03 Here I Go Again Whitesnake Suxbnme

2.04 Under Pressure Queen & Bowie Nzoner

2.05 Hungry Like The Wolf Duran Duran dain11279

2.06 Come On Eileen Dexy's Midnight Runners cruzer

2.07 Still of the Night Whitesnake Shotsup

2.08 Jump Van Halen Fandandy

2.09 Don't Stop Believing Journey Edjr

2.10 Crazy Train Ozzy Osbourne Vuduchile

2.11 White Lines Grandmaster Flash Hardcore Troubadour

2.12 Don't You Forget About Me Simple Minds RaiderHater

3.01 Jesse's Girl Rick Springfield RaiderHater

3.02 Mony Mony Billy Idol Hardcore Troubadour

3.03 Dead or Alive Bon Jovi Vuduchile

3.04 Thriller Michael Jackson Edjr

3.05 Money For Nothing Dire Straits Fandandy

3.06 The Heart of Rock and Roll Huey Lewis & the News Shotsup

3.07 How Soon Is Now? The Smiths cruzer

3.08 dain11279

3.09 Nzoner

3.10 Suxbnme

3.11 Voltaire

3.12 Titans

4.01 Titans

4.02 Voltaire

4.03 Suxbnme

4.04 Nzoner

4.05 dain11279

4.06 cruzer

4.07 Shotsup

4.08 Fandandy

4.09 Edjr

4.10 Vuduchile

4.11 Hardcore Troubadour

4.12 RaiderHater

5.01 RaiderHater

5.02 Hardcore Troubadour

5.03 Vuduchile

5.04 Edjr

5.05 Fandandy

5.06 Shotsup

5.07 cruzer

5.08 dain11279

5.09 Nzoner

5.10 Suxbnme

5.11 Voltaire

5.12 Titans

6.01 Titans

6.02 Voltaire

6.03 Suxbnme

6.04 Nzoner

6.05 dain11279

6.06 cruzer

6.07 Shotsup

6.08 Fandandy

6.09 Edjr

6.10 Vuduchile

6.11 Hardcore Troubadour

6.12 RaiderHater

7.01 RaiderHater

7.02 Hardcore Troubadour

7.03 Vuduchile

7.04 Edjr

7.05 Fandandy

7.06 Shotsup

7.07 cruzer

7.08 dain11279

7.09 Nzoner

7.10 Suxbnme

7.11 Voltaire

7.12 Titans

8.01 Titans

8.02 Voltaire

8.03 Suxbnme

8.04 Nzoner

8.05 dain11279

8.06 cruzer

8.07 Shotsup

8.08 Fandandy

8.09 Edjr

8.10 Vuduchile

8.11 Hardcore Troubadour

8.12 RaiderHater

9.01 RaiderHater

9.02 Hardcore Troubadour

9.03 Vuduchile

9.04 Edjr

9.05 Fandandy

9.06 Shotsup

9.07 cruzer

9.08 dain11279

9.09 Nzoner

9.10 Suxbnme

9.11 Voltaire

9.12 Titans

10.01 Titans

10.02 Voltaire

10.03 Suxbnme

10.04 Nzoner

10.05 dain11279

10.06 cruzer

10.07 Shotsup

10.08 Fandandy

10.09 Edjr

10.10 Vuduchile

10.11 Hardcore Troubadour

10.12 RaiderHater

3.07 - How Soon Is Now - the Smiths

I was really hoping that would fall to me in the 4th round.

GREAT pick :thumbsup:

That's cool man. This and all non football drafts to me is not about winning the votes it's about songs (or whatever drafting) that meant the most to me.

I would never draft a Madonna song or Duran Duran song. No way.

C on Eileen was a HUGE hit but I hated the song and never would consider it.

Only 2 songs out of my wheel house I'd consider is Beat It and Thriller.

:RockOnHairBandsOfthe80's:

This, aside from many other reasons, is why you suck at this type of thing. :wave:

I think the problem you guys were having there on pages 3 and 4 is buying into the notion that there's something wrong with hair bands, there's not. Daggone, hair bands made great music. Also, as I recall it, everybody recording music in the 80s had big hair so that's another problem you're having. Everybody except Annie Lennox (I don't recall if Sinead O'Connor was on the scene in the 80s, if so, her too. They had pretty faces, it's tragic these two weren't putting in the effort).

• Like 1

I think the problem you guys were having there on pages 3 and 4 is buying into the notion that there's something wrong with hair bands, there's not. Daggone, hair bands made great music. Also, as I recall it, everybody recording music in the 80s had big hair so that's another problem you're having. Everybody except Annie Lennox (I don't recall if Sinead O'Connor was on the scene in the 80s, if so, her too. They had pretty faces, it's tragic these two weren't putting in the effort).

I kind of view the hair bands and the new wave bands the same. Good stuff. Absolutely definitive of the music of the decade.

But we had to get the titans out of the way first. We are around that point of the draft I think.

I vote no one is allowed to use the term hair band for the rest of the draft. Besides, the Beatles were the original hair band.

This, aside from many other reasons, is why you suck at this type of thing. :wave:

I see you picked Madonna - Poosay.

:wave:

I see you picked Madonna - Poosay.

:wave:

And thanx to Madonna, tons of girls started dressing like her and loosening their morals.

Yes, I preyed on that. Sorta

Tell me that Like a Virgin wasn't an iconic song of the 80s.

And while you're at it, tell me she how sexy she isn't in the vid.

Yea, thought so.

Still gives me a boner. Want a pic ?

Not drafting a Maddona song. I will get the least vote and be proud I didn't pick Madonna and others.

Still gives me a boner. Want a pic ?

Not drafting a Maddona song. I will get the least vote and be proud I didn't pick Madonna and others.

If I was drafting MY favorite songs from the 80s, Madonna would still be in there. Top 20 or 30 but she would be there.

If I was drafting MY favorite songs from the 80s, Madonna would still be in there. Top 20 or 30 but she would be there.

A Madonna song would make mine maybe. But not the one you picked.

A Madonna song would make mine maybe. But not the one you picked.

Understood and agreed. I'm prolly in the same boat as you with the song, too,.

I'm looking at the next few picks I have coming up on the 3/4 corner and for a while I was tempted to look at the pop charts and take blockbusting songs that other people like and get critical acclaim, but I decided against it. While I do like those songs, they're not my favorites. I'm just going to continue to do throughout the draft what I did at 1.11 and 2.2 and pick the songs I like from the artists I like and not weigh too heavily the influence from those lists other than as suggestions.

Understood and agreed. I'm prolly in the same boat as you with the song, too,.

I almost focked up when I took with or without you. I almost took One instead, which in my opinion is one of the best heartbreak songs of all time. (Actually, it creepily reminds me of the latter days of my marriage)

But I wasnt sure if achtung baby was 80s or early 90s. It was 1991.

I'm looking at the next few picks I have coming up on the 3/4 corner and for a while I was tempted to look at the pop charts and take blockbusting songs that other people like and get critical acclaim, but I decided against it. While I do like those songs, they're not my favorites. I'm just going to continue to do throughout the draft what I did at 1.11 and 2.2 and pick the songs I like from the artists I like and not weigh too heavily the influence from those lists other than as suggestions.

Im playing games a bit in taking the ones I think will be more popular with this crowd early.

For example, London calling would not be my #12. But I know this crowd is rock centric, and there is usually a punk fan or two around here. So I grabbed it as the best in the genre.

Things like cack rock and new wave are deeper later.

3.07 - How Soon Is Now - the Smiths

great song, and really their most well known

but probably most hated by true Smiths fans like myself

and also who I was going to pick but went more main stream with Rick Springfield at 3.1

was the definite pick of mine next round as referenced above about British Alt

Im playing games a bit in taking the ones I think will be more popular with this crowd early.

For example, London calling would not be my #12. But I know this crowd is rock centric, and there is usually a punk fan or two around here. So I grabbed it as the best in the genre.

Things like cack rock and new wave are deeper later.

Welcome to it. Music I don't like make for great picks for somebody else. I've heard of the Clash but couldn't name you a song or sing you a single lyric.

Same with the Smiths. Someone just took them, and I was like "Huh. Never heard of them, Do I know any of their songs" I thought not. I looked them up just now and realized I probably did know of them at one point, I had an Army roommate who liked listening to weird sh*t, At the time, of of the songs that stuck out in my head as particularly bizarre was "Shoplifters of the World". Look up the Smiths and there's that song Bryant liked that I hadn't thought of in forever. I'm just now realizing more than one person on the planet liked sort of thing.

Help yourself.

Welcome to it. Music I don't like make for great picks for somebody else. I've heard of the Clash but couldn't name you a song or sing you a single lyric.

Same with the Smiths. Someone just took them, and I was like "Huh. Never heard of them, Do I know any of their songs" I thought not. I looked them up just now and realized I probably did know of them at one point, I had an Army roommate who liked listening to weird sh*t, At the time, of of the songs that stuck out in my head as particularly bizarre was "Shoplifters of the World". Look up the Smiths and there's that song Bryant liked that I hadn't thought of in forever. I'm just now realizing more than one person on the planet liked sort of thing.

Help yourself.

Im sure you know rock the casbah by the clash. It got a lot of us airplay.

I like London calling, and am happy to have it. Punk was an important part of the 80s music scene, even if Im not that into it.

Come on nzoner and sux. Lets get past me and volts before bedtime in china so you guys can pick while we sleep.

Sux prolly aint happening. Its only 3:30 in the morning in Cali. Unless hes still at the bar :lol:

Come on nzoner and sux. Lets get past me and volts before bedtime in china so you guys can pick while we sleep.

It's almost 9:15 PM in China. I'll be up another few hours but if I haven't picked before I go to bed, I'll send two songs to vudu in a PM and he can cover for me. If one or both gets snagged by somebody else, well, sadly, I'll be holding up the draft all day but I am going to try to avoid that.

• Like 1

...but went more main stream with Rick Springfield at 3.1..

This was going to be my pick, I had it singled out. Ha, damn.

This was going to be my pick, I had it singled out. Ha, damn.

I wish that I had Raider's song but the point is probably moot.

My strategy was two come out with two bands that were no strangers to the charts and almost always at the top of their game while still picking songs that I would personally listen to.My third pick may not have had the overall success of the former two but most definitely held their own by being on the charts for 26 weeks in 1981 and then seeing a resurgence some four years later when their huge hit was used in the 1985 movie Vision Quest.Lastly,it's one of those songs that I still love to crank up.

3:09 Lunatic Fringe-Red Rider

My strategy was two come out with two bands that were no strangers to the charts and almost always at the top of their game while still picking songs that I would personally listen to.My third pick may not have had the overall success of the former two but most definitely held their own by being on the charts for 26 weeks in 1981 and then seeing a resurgence some four years later when their huge hit was used in the 1985 movie Vision Quest.Lastly,it's one of those songs that I still love to crank up.

3:09 Lunatic Fringe-Red Rider

Awesome one hit wonder. This was on my list, but I didnt think it would be on anyone elses.

Saw them open for Pat Benatar in Tulsa is 1983ish? We were so dissapointed that Pat didnt wear a mini skirt. She wore some sorta army inspired cargo pants instead. We figured she musta been on the rag.

Awesome one hit wonder. This was on my list, but I didnt think it would be on anyone elses.

Saw them open for Pat Benatar in Tulsa is 1983ish? We were so dissapointed that Pat didnt wear a mini skirt. She wore some sorta army inspired cargo pants instead. We figured she musta been on the rag.

That would have been a letdown, surely.

There's a lot of songs that iconically represent the 80's (to me), to the very core, but I doubt would garner much fanfare if I picked them.

Congrats. One week in and you're a third of the way there. :bench:

Congrats. One week in and you're a third of the way there. :bench:

Six or so of those days are ed's fault.

There's a lot of songs that iconically represent the 80's (to me), to the very core, but I doubt would garner much fanfare if I picked them.

Screw the fanfare,I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.Music is so subjective that there will never be a true #1,it's why there's so many genres,artists etc. Bottom line it'd be a pretty damn boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Screw the fanfare,I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.Music is so subjective that there will never be a true #1,it's why there's so many genres,artists etc. Bottom line it'd be a pretty damn boring world if we all liked the same thing.

True dat. That's the fun of threads like this. Even though I'm not drafting, I showed my wife this thread last night, then we took turns finding 80's songs we love on youtube. :cheers:

I'm on deck but it's 11:30 PM and I'm about done. I'm sending my next two picks to vudu in a PM. Hopefully I get them both and things go smooth. Otherwise, it may be a while before you see me.

I'm on deck but it's 11:30 PM and I'm about done. I'm sending my next two picks to vudu in a PM. Hopefully I get them both and things go smooth. Otherwise, it may be a while before you see me.

Sent. I have another half hour online tops. Maybe less.