Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Prostate Cancer

Hey Pen? Quick question for us Men, Colon Cancer - Prostate Cancer etc.

Isn't normal protocol to get "checked" for those at age 50 right? But when they say family history to do so earlier.......... two questions.

1. What is considred family history? Is it mother father brother sister? Or does it go all the way to grand parents aunts and uncles?

2. If family history then what age for those tests?

Not hijacking this thread but its good for all us aging Geeks to think about. :thumbsup:

so my dad, uncle, and grandpas both died from prostate cancer or related. Grandpas in their 80's dad and uncle in their 60's, so I started getting checked at 30, prostate exam and everything. Once you get past that first time, it really isnt a big deal, I get em every 5 years, and do a PSA blood test. I see no harm in getting em earlier. Quite frankly most of our cancers are going to come from processed crap we eat, and I think family history has very little to do with it

• Like 1

I would go to Mayo Clinic (Rochester MN or Phoenix AZ) or MD Anderson (Houston TX) for a full examination and round of diagnostic tests to determine what the best course of action would be.

There may be other hospitals closer, do some research on NCI designated facilities. There are also forums for prostate cancer patients and survivors that could provide recommendations of where to start.

No idea where you live, but most local doctors are JV. For an advanced or rare cancer I would want the best of the best to at least take a look and give a recommendation. Maybe the surgery and treatment they recommend can be done locally, maybe not. At least you know what your options are.

Cancer Treatment Centers of America is a popular choice for people who are desperate. I know maybe a dozen people who have been (or their relatives went) and all but one are dead. Not trying to knock their care, but I would go to an NCI facility first.

Urology rankings: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/urology

1. Cleveland Clinic (OH)

2. Mayo Clinic (MN)

3. John Hopkins (MD)

4. UCLA (CA)

5. Sloan-Kettering (NY)

NCI facilities: https://www.cancer.gov/research/nci-role/cancer-centers/find

No. Hes just lived a pretty unhealthy life. Like me, hes battled drugs and alcoholism his entire life. Hes very overweight and has dealt with health problems the last decade. Bladder cancer, heart problems, early onset dementia, etc.

Im taking him to his doctors appointment next Tuesday, so hopefully Ill get a clearer picture. Hes not really responding to texts or answering his phone (which is normal to begin with).

ETA: @ NV hes 71.

Stop drinking. You life is the only one you can save.

• Like 1

Isn't normal protocol to get "checked" for those at age 50 right? But when they say family history to do so earlier.......... two questions.

1. What is considred family history? Is it mother father brother sister? Or does it go all the way to grand parents aunts and uncles?

Not hijacking this thread but its good for all us aging Geeks to think about. :thumbsup:

In general, family history means first degree relative (parents/kids/siblings), though extensive history in second degree relatives may warrant additional consideration too. Usually you screen ten years earlier, or ten years younger than the youngest family member with cancer, whichever is earlier.

Here are the American Cancer Society guidelines for colon cancer: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html

Prostate cancer is a little trickier, as the professional societies conflict regarding their recommendations. The problem with screening is unnecessary downstream testing, some of which has potential for complications. Also, prostate cancer tends to be a disease of older men, with limited life expectancy regardless. Here are ACS recommendations: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/early-detection/acs-recommendations.html

The US preventative services task force is less aggressive about prostate screening: https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/prostate-cancer-screening1

If your mom has prostate cancer, I'd definitely get tested.

Definitely...had conversations with my doctor after both parents passing about what issues might be genetic (bithbfor me and for my kids).

Dads there is a genetic issue that may make me more likely to have certain cancers. Have not been tested for that yet. Last time I discussed with the doc he basically said even if I was negative for that genetic marker, he would treat me as the risk based on Dad anyway.

so my dad, uncle, and grandpas both died from prostate cancer or related. Grandpas in their 80's dad and uncle in their 60's, so I started getting checked at 30, prostate exam and everything. Once you get past that first time, it really isnt a big deal, I get em every 5 years, and do a PSA blood test. I see no harm in getting em earlier. Quite frankly most of our cancers are going to come from processed crap we eat, and I think family history has very little to do with it

When I get my physical I have them do the PSA test. When I asked the first time, I was about 32 or so.. doc youre too young... Then told him the family history, they did it.

The digital rectal exam isn't a sensitive test, but if you enjoy it, by all means carry on.

The danger with getting PSAs and other tests is potential for finding abnormalities not diagnostic of cancer, which lead to procedures like prostate biopsy. Sometimes biopsies result in complications like bleeding, infection, impotence, etc. Personally, I'm opting out.

Also there is a lot more evidence for the heritability of cancer than processed food causing anything other than obesity.

Genes are a big factor in cancer as well as everything else. I inherited high blood pressure from both parents and high blood sugar, headaches & allergies from mom.

Dad is 93 now and still golfing, even sometimes manning up to the white tees when I visit on vacation. When we play red-white-blue, he gets no relief and has to hit from blue if he draws it.

I want to live that long so since I pay for heath care, I get every test I can. It's all about genes AND staying healthy.

I wonder how many people get diagnosed stage 4 because the didn't go to the doctor or ignored symptoms. I go for anything that seems odd. Then Doc says there's nothing wrong with me and 'get the hell outta here'. Yeah, he says that.

Sorry to hear Mobb

Sorry to hear this. My thoughts (not prayers) are sending good vibes in your direction.

Genes are a big factor in cancer as well as everything else. I inherited high blood pressure from both parents and high blood sugar, headaches & allergies from mom.

Dad is 93 now and still golfing, even sometimes manning up to the white tees when I visit on vacation. When we play red-white-blue, he gets no relief and has to hit from blue if he draws it.

I want to live that long so since I pay for heath care, I get every test I can. It's all about genes AND staying healthy.

I wonder how many people get diagnosed stage 4 because the didn't go to the doctor or ignored symptoms. I go for anything that seems odd. Then Doc says there's nothing wrong with me and 'get the hell outta here'. Yeah, he says that.

Great you see your doctor frequently. But getting tested <> being healthy.

Maybe your sobriety is important enough to him to get him to open up. Take care of yourself.