Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

We had our 6x6x6 a few weeks back. That alternate shot shiit is a biitch.

Is that what "Scotch" is? Never heard of it called that before

Is that what "Scotch" is? Never heard of it called that before

No.

Scotch is you both drive/tee off and use your best drive and then play alternate

My irons are 6-7 years old at this point, and I'm curious how much the tech has improved things in that time...so just trying to ballpark gauge it a little, I have 2 questions for the golfers here.....

What is your normal club head speed with the driver?

How far do you typically hit your 7 iron?

No.

Scotch is you both drive/tee off and use your best drive and then play alternate

Gotcha. I've never played that format before, I've played a shamble. That's kind of close.

My irons are 6-7 years old at this point, and I'm curious how much the tech has improved things in that time...so just trying to ballpark gauge it a little, I have 2 questions for the golfers here.....

most of it is de-lofting. My clubs are 16 years old and still sweet. My PW is 48 degrees, most now are 45.

Gotcha. I've never played that format before, I've played a shamble. That's kind of close.

That named that after my game

I replaced my irons last fall. Cleveland CBX 4-PW and as Danknuggs indicated they're delofted so it's like a 6 iron loft on a 7 iron shaft.

My driver clubhead speed is about 93-98 and I hit my 7 iron about 165-170.

Around 101 mph... stock 7i = 162.

Driver 105-107

7 iron 172

Big fire dept tourney today. Golf,beer,food,debauchery. I think Ive got my swing dialed in pretty well. Lots of 3w today since we're playing from 6300ish. We've won a few years in the past, but I just play to have fun. Theres too many stoopid things to buy in a scramble these days. String, hit from 100 yd on par 5, max mulligans, etc.

Big fire dept tourney today. Golf,beer,food,debauchery. I think Ive got my swing dialed in pretty well. Lots of 3w today since we're playing from 6300ish. We've won a few years in the past, but I just play to have fun. Theres too many stoopid things to buy in a scramble these days. String, hit from 100 yd on par 5, max mulligans, etc.

Sounds like fun.

But question, if it's all for shiits and giggles - why bother hitting 3wood? It's a scramble - bust it, no?

Sounds like fun.

But question, if it's all for shiits and giggles - why bother hitting 3wood? It's a scramble - bust it, no?

Cuz ill be playing last with the 3 balls ahead of me in the trees already.😠😠😠

The tour stop is in Dallas this week - the Byron Nelson. After years of hosting at the Four Seasons, they moved it to a new track - Trinity Forest.

This is a new Coore & Crenshaw design - I've never seen it but from tv/media, it looks like shiit... This course was specifically designed to host the Nelson - in the middle of May, in the Texas heat - and not a single tree on the course. :doh:

It looks like they tried to recreate something of a Shinnecock meets Pinehurst - it doesn't work, that's not what we are here... With no shade and no parking, I predict the crowds will be shiit - I predict this will be a huge flop.

I hit 3 fairways 8 greens and had 29 putts....76. 6 bogeys and 2 birdies and I felt like I shot near 90. Keeping a level head and limiting mistakes to bogey was huge.

I havnt hit a single fairway all year. :(

Great golf weekend lined up for me. :thumbsup:

* Today: 18 holes

* 2nite: Member/Member welcome steak dinner, preceded by putting contest qualifying.

* Weekend: 2 day M/M event........My partner is a 6.6, so hopefully we get some much needed pops.

* 2nite: Member/Member welcome steak dinner, preceded by putting contest qualifying.

is it hard cooking steak for all those people?

is it hard cooking steak for all those people?

If they'd let me, I damn sure would. I'm quite handy on the grill......... Of course they use a high powered broiler, but still. :D

ANyone watch the women's us open this weekend? yesterday?

Ape Jutanugarn had a 6 stroke lead on the back 9, gagged it away and won on the 4th focking playoff hole with an amazing bunker shot.

I am glad Ape won. The person she was playing in the playoff, is 100% a boy http://sport-asia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20141212_Kim-Hyo-joo-1_By-Sport-Asia.com_615x400.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B0013L68A6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528122424&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=swing+speed+meter&dpPl=1&dpID=41CUOlvOECL&ref=plSrch

Just got this last week to work on more swing speed. My driver clubhead speed is usually 90-95 mph (know that from club fittings).

I've also reviewed golf swing on camera and found my swing a little flat, causing fat and thin shots along with slower swing speed. I began working on trying to get more upright with it which has been inconsistent but showed a jump in clubhead speed up to 100-106 mph.

Digger further the culprit is turning hips with shoulders on the takeaway. This stems from trying the one piece takeaway (belly button drill) and screwing it up. By delaying that for the first foot or two I've been much more consistent and faster.

ANyone watch the women's us open this weekend? yesterday?

Ape Jutanugarn had a 6 stroke lead on the back 9, gagged it away and won on the 4th focking playoff hole with an amazing bunker shot.

I am glad Ape won. The person she was playing in the playoff, is 100% a boy http://sport-asia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20141212_Kim-Hyo-joo-1_By-Sport-Asia.com_615x400.jpg

Y-day's final round sucked....... but the previous 2 rounds were pretty great. Especially with Ms. Wie strolling the fairways half naked. :banana:

• Like 1

6-7 years means it's time for new irons. Not only to better fit your (hopefully improved) game, but because the faces have to be worn by now (particularly short wedges).

I top out at about 117mph on my driver, and I can hit my 7 180 if I pure it.

Y-day's final round sucked....... but the previous 2 rounds were pretty great. Especially with Ms. Wie strolling the fairways half naked. :banana:

did not get to see her once. :(

Book coming!

Large group of my guys have been getting increasingly disenchanted with our club's official events, for several reasons. The largest is that the calcutta money is now always in the 6 digits (last one was in the $150K range), and that's brought out the worst in some, with their bagging/manipulation of handicaps. That's caused the golf committee to attempt some 'adjustments' (like making players play 80% of your trend AVERAGE over the past year). One guy in particular drew suspicion when his typical 1-2 handicap suddenly blew up to a 5.9 index, right before our main event of the year last year - he won it, naturally - and then, within two weeks, it dropped again to a 1.8 index.

Riiiight.

Turns out that tracking his trend history over the past several seasons revealed that his index spikes/dips at just the right times centered around Calcutta events. There have been 3-4 guys in our club suspected of similar. They ruin it for everyone else.

Another clown was caught juicing his metrics on the simulators off-season. He would 'boost' his own drive distances, etc, and was regularly taking money off his group of 'friends'. Both guys were suspended from club events for a year, which I thought was lenient (I would have permanently removed them from the club; dunno why such a guy would ever want to be back regardless: I would think he'd be persona non grata - but whatever).

Anyway, to my point. We decided to create our own singles tournament, and the first 16 of us to sign up joined. Typical winners/losers bracket. Day One: 36 holes (unless a match goes extra holes); Day Two: winners/losers brackets.

My handicap had just dropped a stroke that week, and my first opponent's went up a stroke to a 17, so I was giving 6 dots. I like match play events, because the main reason I'm an 11 now is because I have 2-3 blow up holes a round. The guy I was playing has a definite non-17 short game though: he chipped like a single digit cap. He shot 87 (he said his best round ever); I shot 79 and won - but it took 18 holes.

Next match was one of the better golfers in our club - past club champion. This time he was playing as a 5, so he had to give me 6 dots. I was cruising along fairly well, and went to the turn leading by 2. And then the wheels came off: I TOTALLY gassed out (could have had something to do with not having anything but coffee for breakfast and not having time for lunch in the turnaround :wall:). I go 6-7-6-7 in the next four holes, and find myself 2 shots DOWN.

Terrible collapse.

Got my legs back under me for holes 14-18 and drew it square, but I still found myself staring at elimination on 18, as I had just missed a 15' par putt, and he had a 3' par putt to win it. With most of the field watching, he missed the putt: his worst effort of the day. We went back to #1, and - there - I smoked a drive on the par 4 to 62' (which is stupid; that's a terrible distance for my hacktastic short game), and he actually outdrove me (small guy - Rory small - but he absolutely crushes the ball), and was 48' out. My best shot of the day happened then. I hit my 60˚ over a bunker to a short-side flag to 3', and as it's in the air, I could hear him yelling "oh, you MOTHERFOCKER!" LOL. He had a similar shot that just came up a hair short - I thought it was going to skip off the rough and check by the flag, but it got caught up just short instead - and he had to jar his to make birdie for the saw. He almost focking did: it bounced a foot in front of the hole; bounced one INCH past it, and rolled out to 10', and then he made the comebacker, which forced me to make my 3' - and I did.

So: that meant I was one of the 4 finalists, and I was paired against my best friend in the semis. Betting was pretty heavy that night, with nearly all of the money being bet AGAINST me (fockers :mad:), and I covered a decent amount of it. My best friend is a somewhat better golfer than me, though I've been closing the gap over the last couple of years, and he was thrilled that he only had to give me a single dot. I knew two things that the rest of the bettors didn't, though: he doesn't like playing against me (he tightens up), and he HATES playing wet conditions: he'll regularly fat his approach irons and chips in those conditions. I know this because he's been my partner in most club events for over 10 years now.

And I knew it was going to rain heavily that night - and it did. Closed him out by 15, and with nothing close to my best game.

Onto the finals, against another very close friend, and probably the best golfer of the group of us. He, though, is not in the shape that he used to be, and the 4th round of 18 in two days took its toll. He had to give me 6 strokes, and I yak up the first hole terribly; saw him on the second, and get to the first par 5, where I'm dotting. That hole turned things: I birdied outright, and he took a 6 - and in the next hole - a par 3 - he blocked one right, and I put my pin high to 15', and narrowly missed the birdie while he was fiddlefocking around with chips he normally doesn't miss.

So I went into hole 5 1up. The problem was the weather turned: windy, MUCH colder, and overcast - and the course was filled with Sunday golfers. It turned into a death march. As a foursome (the 3rd place match was playing along with us), we decided that chopping the pot was a good idea, so - even though I was up one - I was good with that.

1st place: $1100

2nd place: $800

Chopped: $950/ea - plus my $400 in side bet winning = great weekend of golf! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now I'm burnt out on golf for awhile...except that this weekend is the first of our club's majors - called the Gauntlet, which is a 2 man best ball that plays each of our three courses - so 18x3 coming up starting Friday. Ugh.

Nice story... Our club has a similar deal... Guys with 17 handicaps shooting mid 80's for 2 tournament rounds... then they load up their GHINs after the member/member with all their good rounds from the past month and they go from a 17 to an 11.

I don't play our calcutta as its a 3 day event and i have to pick my spots with the wife/family with all the work outings and tournaments...

I am playing as a guest in a member guest this weekend at a top 100 course in the US.. excited for it, but i played it once a month ago and it is as brutally hard as it is beatiful

• Like 1

I loathe handicap snakes......... We too have them too. Our last event we had a 12 handicap shoot 76. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I loathe handicap snakes......... We too have them too. Our last event we had a 12 handicap shoot 76. :rolleyes:

I'm a 13 and 84 is my career low :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well, in fairness, I shot 76 as a 13 once, so I think it depends upon the nature of the guy with the handicap. I can hit the ball farther than most, and I putt pretty well. My issue is chipping - but if I hit greens and don't have to chip, and my driver is working, I'm going to shoot around 80 or better.

Well, in fairness, I shot 76 as a 13 once, so I think it depends upon the nature of the guy with the handicap. I can hit the ball farther than most, and I putt pretty well. My issue is chipping - but if I hit greens and don't have to chip, and my driver is working, I'm going to shoot around 80 or better.

Put the ball back in your stance and use a putting stroke locking out your arms. Youll have to figure out your roll out and play off that, but if your chipping issue is contact its abot as mechanical as you can get to induce solid contact

I probably have 30-40 yds of range doing that. Only go to it if I am struggling with contact

• Like 1

Put the ball back in your stance and use a putting stroke locking out your arms. Youll have to figure out your roll out and play off that, but if your chipping issue is contact its abot as mechanical as you can get to induce solid contact

I probably have 30-40 yds of range doing that. Only go to it if I am struggling with contact

I play this type of shot from anywhere where I can land the ball on the green (or collar) to get it close to the hole. Just vary the club from 6-PW for the most part depending on how much roll I am looking for.

Yeah, I've tried all of that, but with different lies, I just chunk or skull - mostly skull. Only if I'm at the range and do the same stroke repeatedly do I start to settle down and get contact. I keep thinking I'm going to skull the ball and send it flying, and that causes me to decel. It's killing me, and I need to devote some range time to fixing it.

Yeah, I've tried all of that, but with different lies, I just chunk or skull - mostly skull. Only if I'm at the range and do the same stroke repeatedly do I start to settle down and get contact. I keep thinking I'm going to skull the ball and send it flying, and that causes me to decel. It's killing me, and I need to devote some range time to fixing it.

I dealt with decel putting and chipping a few years ago. We have a chipping practice area and a few sessions there got the confidence you need to not decel

Steeper backwing change paying off. I played yesterday and hit 12 fairways and was on green or fringe of 15 greens. Shot 71 (35/36) 1 under. 3 bogeys and 4 birdies.

Been playing some fades off certain trees instead of forcing stock draw.

You may be using your wrists which could lead to inconsistency. That and check your head is steady.

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember the last time I was "truly" pain free...... For at least the last 3 years, it's either been my wrist, my knee, by elbow, back or shoulder....... I'm in the midst of another wrist spell. This time it's my right, but it's it is my left half the time too. My doc said it's not Carpal Tunnel, rather tendonitis and/or possibly Guyon Canal syndrome........... Outside of cutting on it, not much they can do - even laying off for stretches doesn't help much.

Getting really hard to be consistent when you never know when the sharp needle pain is going to kick in.

Why do I duck hook everything? Any quick thoughts, grip, stance remedies I can try ?

Why do I duck hook everything? Any quick thoughts, grip, stance remedies I can try ?

Most likely, on the downswing your body stops turning. But even when the body stops, the clubhead doesn't. It keeps going, the face closes, and a duck hook ensues. So make sure you get your chest facing the target..

The neck really stabilizes things, I find.