Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

At this point its plausible he smoked weed and cant go back until it clears his system. HEs about to toss 4 million.

That is false. The CBA does not work like that and there are serious repercussions with trying to go around it. The only way the Steelers can rescind the tag is to make Bell a free agent.

I stand by my statement that Bell cannot sign a long term deal in 2018. Find me a link or a source that says otherwise please.

I believe you are correct. Yes, rescinding the tag grants Bell freedom, and takes away any credit the Steelers would get for the loss of Bell (compensatory pick) The Steelers cannot offer Bell anything other than the Franchise tag at this juncture, but another team could if it were rescinded and became a FA. No team is going to do a sign-and-trade kind of deal because the Steelers can ONLY sign him to the Franchise offer. They could trade him after he signs but whatever team gets him is bound by the same terms, meaning they also cannot sign him to a long-term contract. The franchise designation was designed to keep players with their team. It's fairly iron-clad.

Who? Is he still playing?

At this point its plausible he smoked weed and cant go back until it clears his system. HEs about to toss 4 million.

If this was his plan all along he probably started blazing as soon as last season ended.

Schefter reported this morning exactly what I've been saying for weeks. Bell is screwing himself in this holdout and giving the Steelers more leverage with every game he misses. His salary this year is 120% of last years salary. If the Steelers franchise him again next year, which seemed VERY unlikely at the start of the season, his salary balloons to 144% of what it is this year.

Here's the nightmare scenario for Bell. He waits until week 10 to report and does so out of shape. Steelers claim roster exemption for 2 weeks and don't have to pay him for those. So Bell essentially gets 4 weeks of pay at $855,000 per week. That means the Steelers can franchise him again next year at 144% of this years salary (works out to about 3.5 million for 4 games) or around 5 million franchise tender for next season and hold the rights to him again for another year. It ends after next season, but by that time he'll be nearly 30 and hadn't played in well over a year.

Schefter reported this morning exactly what I've been saying for weeks. Bell is screwing himself in this holdout and giving the Steelers more leverage with every game he misses. His salary this year is 120% of last years salary. If the Steelers franchise him again next year, which seemed VERY unlikely at the start of the season, his salary balloons to 144% of what it is this year.

Here's the nightmare scenario for Bell. He waits until week 10 to report and does so out of shape. Steelers claim roster exemption for 2 weeks and don't have to pay him for those. So Bell essentially gets 4 weeks of pay at $855,000 per week. That means the Steelers can franchise him again next year at 144% of this years salary (works out to about 3.5 million for 4 games) or around 5 million franchise tender for next season and hold the rights to him again for another year. It ends after next season, but by that time he'll be nearly 30 and hadn't played in well over a year.

thats not right. They still have to pay him. They have to negotiate and it would probably go to arbitration.

If they franchise tag him next year it will be 144% of this years franchise tag number, not the salary he makes.

Yes considering all the partying. You telling me he is out all night at clubs and not doing ANY drugs or whores? Almost no chance.

Yes considering all the partying. You telling me he is out all night at clubs and not doing ANY drugs or whores? Almost no chance.

Wait a sec, I didn't know whores were against the rules too.

Wait a sec, I didn't know whores were against the rules too.

They arent, I didnt say they were. In fact they are mandatory.

If they franchise tag him next year it will be 144% of this years franchise tag number, not the salary he makes.

no. it's potentially 144% of what he gets paid. take a moment to educate...see "Vincent Jackson"

or you could trust Bleacher Report citing Adam Schefter even though he's WEEKS behind me on this...

Bleacher Report

I'm ready for the Jaylen Samuels era to begin to be honest. Move on from Bell, and Conner clearly isn't cutting it. Next man up.

Steelers 2017:

Run Pass Percentage was 43% - 57%

Steelers 2018:

Run Pass Percentage is 30% - 70%

It may be affecting their offense some. Just sayin

Steelers 2017:

Run Pass Percentage was 43% - 57%

Steelers 2018:

Run Pass Percentage is 30% - 70%

It may be affecting their offense some. Just sayin

It's bigger than just Bell. While I was never much of a Todd Haley fan, he had a game plan and generally kept to it. Them getting rid of Haley and promoting Fichtner to that spot has put an absolute PATSY to Ben in charge. it's now Ben's team, and he wants to throw the ball all the time. Ben had 31 more attempts this year over 1st 4 games last year. Throwing at at lower % for a lower yards per attempt. Same # of TD's but 3 more INT. The problem is how willing they are to abandon the run. Last night is a good example. Ok, so you're down by 14 pts after gifting them a TD on a turnover and you're trying to move the ball. I can see going pass heavy to try and get back into game. But they abandoned it for pretty much the rest of the game. Play action was killing the Ravens, but they went away from that as well and for PA to work, you have to make the Def believe you may run it.

Again, Conner isn't Bell. But a lot of this is on poor play calling by the OC and Ben having too much leeway to go to no-huddle and call his own plays.

• Like 1

So, We are going to believe him? Will you really be report week 7?

I still think he doesnt come till week 10, steelers put him on a roster exemption and he doesnt play till week 12/13.

Theres a great point about Haley not being there and they are not running the ball. Connor did really well when he ran out of the I formation. Early in games theyve been running out of shotgun and it sucks!

His return week 7 means even if the steelers make him exempt he'll still log a season and then be a FA next year.

Or maybe some team decides they can handle the 7 mil left on his tag & trades for him.

Moster week 5 by Conner!!

185 total yards, 2TDs!

Commit to the run, look at those numbers!

Moster week 5 by Conner!!

185 total yards, 2TDs!

Commit to the run, look at those numbers!

Atlanta Defense.

Anyone think Labia Bell will end up in Philly?

<fingers crossed>

Signed, Conner and Jay Ajayna owner

well, ex-Jay Ajayna owner...

Ok, so we've been receiving pics and reports these last few weeks of him jet skiing by day and slapping bottoms by night.

Has the tide turned ?

Are there any sightings of him working out or doing stair climbs or what-not to get back in shape for a week 8 return ?

Ok, so we've been receiving pics and reports these last few weeks of him jet skiing by day and slapping bottoms by night.

Has the tide turned ?

Are there any sightings of him working out or doing stair climbs or what-not to get back in shape for a week 8 return ?

He's increased his training regimen from banging 1 wh0re a night to 2. Gotta build that cardio back up.

Moster game week 6.

For those that have Connor, how is your team doing?

I am 4-2.

I had some bad luck this week with my Jacksonville D sucking and Baltimore going off.

Moster game week 6.

I am 4-2.

I had some bad luck this week with my Jacksonville D sucking and Baltimore going off.

I am 5-1. Its the best 15th round pick I ever made!

Hard to decide what the right move is if you own Leveon and/or Conner. Just hold both and hope for an outcome that doesn't include them splitting carries, or try to trade one or both under the assumption that you may be dealing with a timeshare soon.

Moster game week 6.

I am 4-2.

I will be 4 and 2. I took Conor as my last pick. Wouldn't matter anyway. I had fornette and McKinnon....uhh yeah...about that. Working the trade wire brought me Barkley. But Conor has helped save my season.

2-4 and 3-3. It's been tough. I'm 2nd in scoring in both leagues. Just traded Conner/Bell/Ebron for Howard/Kupp, trying to get ahead of the curve in anticipation Bell's return makes them both worthless -- cost me the win this week, I'm pretty sure. That's just how my year has gone. Again.

Well, the difference here is that he is under contract to the league. I would not get down on him if he quit playing football or joined another football league or whatever. The thing is, he signed up for this and was happy as a clam at the start, but then realized he could excel and got paid as such. If he didn't excel, he would be hanging on for as long as he could to get paid $750,000 or so as long as he could.

The point is he is *not* under contract. Hasn't had a contact for about two years. But the Steelers still hold all the power. AFAIK, they could even franchise him again in 2019 though it would likely be more expensive than last year.

The point is he is *not* under contract. Hasn't had a contact for about two years. But the Steelers still hold all the power. AFAIK, they could even franchise him again in 2019 though it would likely be more expensive than last year.

Nope. Go back and read this thread. The Steelers can offer him 144% of what he gets paid this year to franchise him again next year. He can file a grievance on it, but he likely won't win. He's cost himself HUGE amounts of money and leverage for next year to boot. In fact, I hope he waits until after game 10 to report, they roster exempt him for 2 weeks, then make him inactive the rest of the games...then franchise his ass again next year and try to trade him before the season starts. He's a better pass catcher than Conner, but they aren't particularly hurting without him and have plenty of other options to catch passes.

Moster game week 6.

I am 4-2.

Not me but the Conner owner in my league is in first place. He has scored 200 twice and this week beat me with 180. He hit the magical jackpot of fantasy...he paid the early draft price for QB (Rodgers) AND TE (Ertz) and got RB1 value late with Conner. Its a jackpot because taking QB and TE early puts massive pressure on you to hit on your other picks since you punted value for theoretical stability at those positions. So Conner late gave him the punch he needs. He is a massive favorite to win it all right now.

Look at this, Bell still a no show.

All the talk and he is still not in camp.

Here’s a little fact that I found very interesting to hear. Bell got himself an insurance policy for this year. He may be collecting on that instead of actually playing. Plus he doesn’t get hurt!

I don’t think we see him till week 12 at the earliest.

For Bell owners...especially those who used a top 3-4 pick on him...this situation is almost worse than a season ending injury in week 1.

Do you keep him? Do you trade him? If you trade him, how much should you ask for, and how much can you expect in return?

When Ingram's original owner offered me Ingram for Bell in week 3 of Ingram's suspension, I jumped on it.

Look at this, Bell still a no show.

All the talk and he is still not in camp.

Here’s a little fact that I found very interesting to hear. Bell got himself an insurance policy for this year. He may be collecting on that instead of actually playing. Plus he doesn’t get hurt!

I don’t think we see him till week 12 at the earliest.

I'm pretty sure those Lloyds of London style polices only pay out in the event you are actually injured. Not if your lazy, greedy ass decides to sit at home instead of doing what you said you would do.

:thumbsdown:

Nope. Go back and read this thread. The Steelers can offer him 144% of what he gets paid this year to franchise him again next year. He can file a grievance on it, but he likely won't win. He's cost himself HUGE amounts of money and leverage for next year to boot. In fact, I hope he waits until after game 10 to report, they roster exempt him for 2 weeks, then make him inactive the rest of the games...then franchise his ass again next year and try to trade him before the season starts. He's a better pass catcher than Conner, but they aren't particularly hurting without him and have plenty of other options to catch passes.

The CBA is nine years old and there is no precedent we can look at. The NFL/Steelers will argue 144% of what he gets paid this year. The NFLPA will argue it is 144% of his franchise tag number this year. You can speculate that he likely won't win. I'm speculating that he very well might win.

The Steelers can do a sign and trade or sign him to a long term contract after the season. If that does not happen and the Steelers tag him a third time, this is definitely going before an arbitrator and nobody will know until after the ruling.

So if Bell doesnt report at all, you are arguing that the Steelers can franchise him again and pay him 144% of zero, which means Bell has to play for free? Or are you believing its 144% of the minimum, which I think would be about $900k?

It doesnt seem logical, therefore I doubt you are correct.