Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

Utah teen shamed for wearing 'racist' dress to prom, sparking cultural appropriation debat

Isn't that Japanese?

I assume theyre talking about a qipao. Those Chinese dresses that button on the side and are slit up the leg.

You never see anyone wearing that here unless they are working in a tea house, massage parlor, or tourist attraction. The only traditional garment you see here really are the conical straw hats, and those would be looked down on as peasant attire by most Chinese.

They all wear western clothes. Apparently they dont mind being cultural appropriators. And no, they could care less. If anything they like it when we try to do Chinese stuff. You sometimes see western women wearing one, and lots of guys I see have those Chinese shirts with knots for buttons. I would buy one if they made them in ogre size, they look cool.

• Like 1

Always depends on who wears it.

If a liberal wears it they are trendy and accepting of all cultures. If Republican where is it she's a racist.

• Like 1

Not sure why everyone is complaining, her BF got her out of the dress a few minutes after those pics were taken.

I assume theyre talking about a qipao. Those Chinese dresses that button on the side and are slit up the leg.

You never see anyone wearing that here unless they are working in a tea house, massage parlor, or tourist attraction. The only traditional garment you see here really are the conical straw hats, and those would be looked down on as peasant attire by most Chinese.

They all wear western clothes. Apparently they dont mind being cultural appropriators. And no, they could care less. If anything they like it when we try to do Chinese stuff. You sometimes see western women wearing one, and lots of guys I see have those Chinese shirts with knots for buttons. I would buy one if they made them in ogre size, they look cool.

That's what I figured, I thought they would think it is cool a western girl is wearing it.

So if I make stir fry at home, I'm appropriating someone's culture? What about black women straightening their hair? Asians getting butt implants? etc..........

JFC..............the world can GFY.

She wears it well. :wub:

• Like 1

Cultural appropriation is one of my least liked liberal topics. Of course we culturally appropriate, this is the Great Melting Pot. We take what we like and mix it in with everything else. It is a part of why we have the best country in the history of ever. :dunno:

That's what I figured, I thought they would think it is cool a western girl is wearing it.

Yeah, they love it when we dabble in Chinese arts, such as calligraphy, tai chi, Kung fu, etc., try to learn the language, the culture, how to cook their food, etc.

They are very proud of their culture and every bit, if not more, patriotic as we are.

Now yeah, if you were to do so in a mocking way, youll piss them off quick. Things like mr. Magoo for example.

They would find the notion of cultural appropriation ridiculous. Hell, their culture was appropriated by pretty much all their neighbors to some degree or another.

Heres the thing with cultural appropriation. The notion is inherently racist in itself. Its saying that western culture is so superior that the only reason one would wear anything else is to mock it. That we have to protect lesser cultures.

Its utter rubbish and bulls!t.

Not sure why everyone is complaining, her BF got her out of the dress a few minutes after those pics were taken.

It's Utah, so it's probably her husband...

also since it says she is 18, definitely wood. :wub:

Yeah, they love it when we dabble in Chinese arts, such as calligraphy, tai chi, Kung fu, etc., try to learn the language, the culture, how to cook their food, etc.

They are very proud of their culture and every bit, if not more, patriotic as we are.

Now yeah, if you were to do so in a mocking way, youll piss them off quick. Things like mr. Magoo for example.

They would find the notion of cultural appropriation ridiculous. Hell, their culture was appropriated by pretty much all their neighbors to some degree or another.

Heres the thing with cultural appropriation. The notion is inherently racist in itself. Its saying that western culture is so superior that the only reason one would wear anything else is to mock it. That we have to protect lesser cultures.

Its utter rubbish and bulls!t.

I figured. What girl would sabotage her prom to piss of a bunch of Chinese she doesn't know? She probably saw the dress, thought it was pretty, realized it was Chinese (didn't care because she isn't racist) and wore it anyway and looked good in it. The only people that have any right to mad about this is the Chinese and they think this is cool. So another nothing burger.

Also I really agree with the bold, never thought of it that way.

I figured. What girl would sabotage her prom to piss of a bunch of Chinese she doesn't know? She probably saw the dress, thought it was pretty, realized it was Chinese (didn't care because she isn't racist) and wore it anyway and looked good in it. The only people that have any right to mad about this is the Chinese and they think this is cool. So another nothing burger.

Also I really agree with the bold, never thought of it that way.

Its the same superior attitude that spawned well meaning but ultimately degrading and rot producing policies like affirmative action and welfare dependence.

Fock, if anything, the average American should try to expose themselves to and sample other cultures more often. We tend to be a bit provincial and superior in a lot of ways.

also since it says she is 18, definitely wood. :wub:

She is? Then hell yeah! :banana:

Why are all those chinks complaining in English? Stop appropriating mah language! :mad:

My wife was utterly baffled as to why anybody would be upset.

This is why you dont use Twitter. Fb is fine. But Twitter is a cesspool

My wife was utterly baffled as to why anybody would be upset.

To be fair, she wasn't raised in America so she doesn't see the victim angle she should be playing here.

Its the same superior attitude that spawned well meaning but ultimately degrading and rot producing policies like affirmative action and welfare dependence.

Fock, if anything, the average American should try to expose themselves to and sample other cultures more often. We tend to be a bit provincial and superior in a lot of ways.

We are superior in a lot of ways. Most as a matter of fact. It's liberals and lesser cultures that are trying to drag us down.

She should be allowed to wear the dress.

This cultural appropriation crap needs to stop. We should encourage different cultures to embrace, not keep the cultures separate.

She's cute. So i'm just happy she's a real girl.

You gotta be careful about that kinda stuff nowadays.

It's the in thing to be the other gender.

Cultural appropriation is a PC term used to manipulate and divide people. There is no such thing as cultural appropriation, everything is derivative and comes from something else.

So, feel free to face punch the next slope you see wearing a Ralph Lauren polo shirt.