Sign in to follow this  
LOD01

Economic recession due to lack of skilled workers?

Is it possible? Can the country actually fall into a recession because companies cannot produce enough? Recessions are characterized by massive layoffs and high unemployment but who can possibly layoff anyone because over 50% (guessing) of the idiots graduating college and 90% (conservative estimate) of those entering the workforce right out of HS are too stupid to hold a real job.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/us/politics/utah-economy-jobs.html

It is certainly holding back growth but can it spiral to a recession?

This is reason Obama only created part time and minimum wage jobs, he knew the job market. This Administration is out of touch with the American Workforce!

The article is a year old, it talked about unskilled laborers, and was entirely anecdotal.

No conclusion can be reached from that article.

Libtards are too busy teaching Heather has two mommys instead of reading, writing , and arithmetic. Our education system and those who run it and those that carry out these curriculums are failing our kids and our country.

The article is a year old, it talked about unskilled laborers, and was entirely anecdotal.

No conclusion can be reached from that article.

That's part of the point. It's a year old and its actually worse out there. Pretty much everyone coming out of high school is completely unskilled. I mean they can't even use a tape measure. I mean the retards that have no marketable skills at all can't even get grunt work.

There were plenty of other articles closer to today's date that I could have linked.

Part of the reason I am wondering about this is because if it's possible, we may be in for one helluva upcoming recession.

but yah lets bring in more "unskilled" illegals

I always thought Bernie's "free college" for all, should have been grants for kids who stayed out of trouble, to help them into trade schools, not major colleges. Hell, learn to drive a big-rig and you are set for life

Blame colleges for creating goofy majors aimed at extracting money from kids who like getting high.

I have an Irish friend (grew up in Ireland) who said all HS kids take a gap year in HS during which they are pretty much required to work. Gives them a break from schooling and taste of real life BEFORE they graduate HS. What an amazing idea.

I do not think anyone read that article.

It talked about trying to hire unskilled laborers for 12 dollars an hour to milk cows.It was using Utah and its 3% unemployment rate as an example. The article was not talking about how America's workforce is underskilled.

I think the article was a poorly written editorial with only anecdotal evidence, but none of the responses addressed what the article talked about.

It talked about trying to hire unskilled laborers for 12 dollars an hour to milk cows.It was using Utah and its 3% unemployment rate as an example. The article was not talking about how America's workforce is underskilled.

I think the article was a poorly written editorial with only anecdotal evidence, but none of the responses addressed what the article talked about.

The article states through various forms of evidence (some of it anecdotal) that 30+% of working aged residents aren't working and companies (skilled and unskilled) cannot find workers of any sort, which is slowing growth. So ultimately, yes, the article is more about people not wanting to work, whatever the reason.

• Like 1

I read it and picked that from numerous article because of the title: Lack of Workers, Not Work, Weighs on the Nation’s Economy

One of the main reasons that there is a lack of workers is BECAUSE they are too stupid to do the job. The other is that they fail drug tests. The stupidity coming thru our doors is thru the roof. I can only guess it's everywhere.

The question still remains regardless of what article I posted. Does anyone think the country can fall into recession because of a lack of skilled labor? I, for one, don't think so. I think companies are going to battle for talent and will have to raise wages. We have openings that would never have taken 6 months to fill....ever. Now we do. Raising the wage will make people leave where they are to come to us. Thus causing that company to raise theirs.

Blame colleges for creating goofy majors aimed at extracting money from kids who like getting high.

I have an Irish friend (grew up in Ireland) who said all HS kids take a gap year in HS during which they are pretty much required to work. Gives them a break from schooling and taste of real life BEFORE they graduate HS. What an amazing idea.

alot can be said about that, and while its good, its why there isnt many top Irish people in science and engineering, doctors and such

alot can be said about that, and while its good, its why there isnt many top Irish people in science and engineering, doctors and such

My point was that there are many work outlets for young people that don't require spending 100K for a degree in Mayan studies. Yet they aren't exposed to them. As far as engineering, doctors, such, Americans aren't exactly the face of those industries anymore, in part because college options in India, China, Russia are mostly limited to those things, while college options here aren't.

The number of open jobs in March matched the number of unemployed that month. That's historically unusual

What a pathetic country we have become.

this is just another case where our outdated, "industrial revolution", systems no longer works for the modern world.

School doesn't adequately prepare kids with the skills needed in our connection-communication-technology economy.

And many companies and hiring managers have no focking clue how to find the right people for their open positions - where again the old "submit your resume" approach is pretty ineffective even with the help of sites like Monster and Glassdoor.

Everything is simply moving a lot faster than we can keep up with... we no longer know "how" to do it and we don't know how to find people that "can" or "could" do it... whatever "it" happens to be.

There is also a reality where employers have gotten used to asking for a Masters for a job that an average bright HS kid can handle just fine. Employers need to start aligning the realities of a position with the realities of the workforce.

this is just another case where our outdated, "industrial revolution", systems no longer works for the modern world.

School doesn't adequately prepare kids with the skills needed in our connection-communication-technology economy.

And many companies and hiring managers have no focking clue how to find the right people for their open positions - where again the old "submit your resume" approach is pretty ineffective even with the help of sites like Monster and Glassdoor.

Everything is simply moving a lot faster than we can keep up with... we no longer know "how" to do it and we don't know how to find people that "can" or "could" do it... whatever "it" happens to be.

Oh Tom, you're so cynical.

Schools are teaching kids about transgenders and all the important issues of the times.

There is also a reality where employers have gotten used to asking for a Masters for a job that an average bright HS kid can handle just fine. Employers need to start aligning the realities of a position with the realities of the workforce.

College is wildly overrated and outdated.

in some cases yes.

What it not outdated or overrated is education and continuous learning.

And an many cases, identifying potential employees that can/will continue learning has more to do with the "soft" skills rather than the "hard" skills.... very few employees will show up on day 1 with the EXACT skill sets required from a job...but they can have all the 'soft skills" that make them ideal candidate that can learn, fit in and offer value.

Construction industry is seeing this. Not nearly enough skilled labor. Subs are taking on obscene work because why not, but are thinning out their skilled guys over the larger number of jobs. Productivity is slipping, and i'd guess in most instances they aren't nearly are profitable per job as they have been. Most small guys are more concerned with cashflow than profitability, so it'll be too large before they figure it out

This. I have been passively browsing jobs and I come across many jobs that say Masters required that I would otherwise be qualified for. A masters does not help once you are 10 years into a career. I have already learned everything that I would have learned during a masters program.

If you go to college and major in the humanities you're basically paying to hear some professor who has spent their life in academia for their opinions. I'd get more wisdom from the old dude at the bar who worked his whole life.

I'm working in this arena (early formative type stuff) but looking at how we can better connect low income prospects to skills development centered around job prospects in the aream

A buddy's son is a College Senior and apparently a computer programming whiz, FB has wined and dined this kid for 4 years to get him to quit college and please take a 6 figure job with them. What on earth was he going to learn in 3 extra years of college about programming that working at FB wouldn't have taught him in 6 months. Kids are programmed to go and finish college. (FWIW He was on full scholarship).

A buddy's son is a College Senior and apparently a computer programming whiz, FB has wined and dined this kid for 4 years to get him to quit college and please take a 6 figure job with them. What on earth was he going to learn in 3 extra years of college about programming that working at FB wouldn't have taught him in 6 months. Kids are programmed to go and finish college. (FWIW He was on full scholarship).

Yeah but if that job doesn't work out he is probably going to need his degree.

Yeah but if that job doesn't work out he is probably going to need his degree.

And he can go back to college. But honestly wouldn't need to. He'd get another job in 3 seconds.

And he can go back to college. But honestly wouldn't need to. He'd get another job in 3 seconds.

if FB wants you. You're pretty set.

He’s an idiot if he doesn’t take that job yesterday. Work experience>>>>>>>>>degree. He can take classes on the side and finish the degree if he wants.

Hes an idiot if he doesnt take that job yesterday. Work experience>>>>>>>>>degree. He can take classes on the side and finish the degree if he wants.

A lot of good programmers are pretty anti-Facebook especially the good ones. Makes sense and good for him for sticking with his principles if thats why.

How did FB find out about him?

Hes an idiot if he doesnt take that job yesterday. Work experience>>>>>>>>>degree. He can take classes on the side and finish the degree if he wants.

Work experience is greater in real life. It seems that companies want that degree regardless. Not all the time, but it typically allows for more options

The 'give everyone a trophy isn't working out. :lol:

Ordinary people do extraordinary things. We become awful elitist. We don’t think ordinary people can do things like program, code. It’s not rocket science, guys! We did it up in Michigan. When Detroit found out they didn’t have… When all the exodus… They didn’t have people [when] their city got back on its feet who could literally turn on the street lights, run the water system. So we went, we hired some folks to go into the neighborhoods. They pick 58 women, turns out, from the ‘hood. (very soft whispering) They learned the code. It’s not a secret. Not joking. Joe Biden

Well we know it's not your mom. :music_guitarred:

The college industry is one of the biggest scams going. From the fly by night places on tv, all the way up to Harvard. Scam.

The fix is easy. Remove federal backing of student loans, thus removing the inability to discharge them in bankruptcy.

Problem gets solved almost overnight. Banks quit writing stupid loans to pay for nothing, schools have to find ways to be actually viable, or die. Eventually employers stop having inflated requirements because not every dumbass out there has one.