Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Is there anyone who doesn't hope Lonzo Ball is a total bust?

Lonzo Ball's dad or Donald Trump in a room. I could only blast one. Hmmmmm

Wealth envy. Sad.

Wealth envy. Sad.

lol Yeah. That's what they have in common. :doh:

Did you see he's selling his own shoe, Big Baller Brand. His dad is the CEO.

Sells for $495.

:lol:

Supposedly negotiations with Nike, Adidas, and Under Armor broke down so they decided to go the independent route.

In his meetings with all three companies, LaVar insisted that they license his upstart Big Baller Brand from him, according to the companies. He also showed the companies a shoe prototype that he hoped would be Lonzo's first shoe.

"We've said from the beginning, we aren't looking for an endorsement deal," LaVar told ESPN. "We're looking for co-branding, a true partner. But they're not ready for that because they're not used to that model. But hey, the taxi industry wasn't ready for Uber, either."

Last week, Nike consultant George Raveling, at SportsBusiness Journal's World Congress of Sports, called LaVar "the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years."

The way LaVar sees it, Raveling's comment is indicative of what longtime businesspeople say when the way of doing things changes.

"Just imagine how rich Tiger [Woods], Kobe [bryant], Serena [Williams], [Michael] Jordan and LeBron [James] would have been if they dared to do their own thing," LaVar said. "No one owned their own brand before they turned pro. We do, and I have three sons, so it's that much more valuable."

Lonzo declared for the draft after one season at UCLA. LaVar's other sons have also committed to UCLA, including LiAngelo, who arrives on campus this year, and LaMelo, who just finished his sophomore season in high school.

Ball would not disclose how big the Big Baller Brand has become -- the company sells hats and T-shirts ranging from $38 to $100 on its website -- but he said current sales numbers shouldn't have been on the mind of the shoe companies.

"When Facebook bought WhatsApp for $19 billion, those guys weren't profitable," LaVar said.

Now that the traditional shoe companies are out, Ball said he will reach out to the Chinese brands, which include Peak, Li-Ning and Anta, and he's not counting out taking on an entrepreneurial partner outside the business.

"That includes Facebook," he said.

Ball said he did indeed have a prototype for Lonzo's first shoe.

"We're not going to sign with a company and then wait around for five or six years for a shoe like Paul George had to wait for with Nike," Ball said.

When asked how long he has been working on the design of Lonzo's shoe, Ball said, "I've been working on that shoe ever since my boys were born."

I don't know what to think about Lonzo. He doesn't seem super-cocky the times I've watched him play. Dad's a doosh but you don't get to pick you parents. I wouldn't mind seeing someone undercut his little brother on one of his cherry-pick layups though. :ninja:

he seems like an ok kid. i'd love to see him dump his father and get a real PR firm and agent to help him right his ship.

Can't draft a guy more interested in building a brand than playing a role on a championship team

I hope he turns out to be great and he runs his mouth like his dad. It adds a little excitement when you have a great villain to root against.

Can't draft a guy more interested in building a brand than playing a role on a championship team

Jordan and LeBron were both way into their brands before they ever won a championship.

Nor one with a parent sitting courtside contradicting everything the HC says.

Jordan and LeBron were both way into their brands before they ever won a championship.

Lonzo is a playmaking PG, a talented accessory piece, you aren't going to build a team around him.

Lonzo is a playmaking PG, a talented accessory piece, you aren't going to build a team around him.

I read he's a great shooter and potential fit in Philly but his dad makes me hope we don't draft him.

I read he's a great shooter and potential fit in Philly but his dad makes me hope we don't draft him.

no way in hell does he want that. This town would chew up and spit out an ass hole like him. And his kid would also pay the price.

no way in hell does he want that. This town would chew up and spit out an ass hole like him. And his kid would also pay the price.

lol

He has really strange mechanics. He's a decent shooter in college with more space, but most great NBA shooters have great mechanics

This town? You're from the sticks goober. Stop it.

I use to think this kid and his dad were some douches. But after some thought I think they are awesome and saying fock the system. Dad is a little more obnoxious about it than I like but at the end of the day I like what he is doing and he really believes in his son which is admirable. Keep it up pops. Just because we have never seen it done this way doesn't mean it is the wrong way. They may have changed the game.

Only 263 pairs sold on the opening day??? I wonder how many of those were to family and friends. :lol:

Only 263 pairs sold on the opening day??? I wonder how many of those were to family and friends. :lol:

At 400 something dollars a pair that isn't bad. Especially for a really ugly shoe. Also if he averages even half that its a multi-million dollar company annually.

At 400 something dollars a pair that isn't bad. Especially for a really ugly shoe. Also if he averages even half that its a multi-million dollar company annually.

It is one fugly looking shoe....... But isn't your opening day your biggest bonanza payday of the product? Biggest single day sale anyway, no? Maybe it will peak during the Xmas season, but to expect this shoe to average it's output from opening day, on a daily basis, is a bit of a stretch.

It is one fugly looking shoe....... But isn't your opening day your biggest bonanza payday of the product? Biggest single day sale anyway, no? Maybe it will peak during the Xmas season, but to expect this shoe to average it's output from opening day, on a daily basis, is a bit of a stretch.

Many Air Jordan's sell out onnthe first day. But even those that don't still far outpace this piece of dogsh!t shoe.

https://www.kicksonfire.com/air-jordan-11-72-10-number-sold/

Since no one owns a pair and they are just being introduced into the market that to is why the sales aren't more. I think they will stay pretty consistent to this as far as daily sales go. They are going to get a lot more organic growth now because people actually have the shoes rather than people buying it because Daddy says too. As we get closer to the draft sales should go up to and when he is officially drafted #1 overall. The brand they created will last a lifetime a shoe contract with Nike won't.

Since no one owns a pair and they are just being introduced into the market that to is why the sales aren't more. I think they will stay pretty consistent to this as far as daily sales go. They are going to get a lot more organic growth now because people actually have the shoes rather than people buying it because Daddy says too. As we get closer to the draft sales should go up to and when he is officially drafted #1 overall. The brand they created will last a lifetime a shoe contract with Nike won't.

Maybe - I'll believe it when I see it... Scamming kids for $600 phones is one thing, to try and pull off that trick with an ugly ass shoe is another.

Combination of asking WAY too much and having a brand that the father has everyone hating already. Glad they flopped.

I use to think this kid and his dad were some douches. But after some thought I think they are awesome and saying fock the system. Dad is a little more obnoxious about it than I like but at the end of the day I like what he is doing and he really believes in his son which is admirable. Keep it up pops. Just because we have never seen it done this way doesn't mean it is the wrong way. They may have changed the game.

I don't disagree with anyone going out on their own trying to market and sell a shoe. In fact, as I said earlier in the thread, I like the idea.

But this launch was a flop by industry standards, and I have to believe the price point and the daddydouche factor both had a huge negative impact.

I know a little bit about this stuff, as I worked for Nike for awhile.

But this launch was a flop by industry standards, and I have to believe the price point and the daddydouche factor both had a huge negative impact.

Getting completely dominated by another freshman the last time he was in the public eye probably didn't help much either.

Maybe - I'll believe it when I see it... Scamming kids for $600 phones is one thing, to try and pull off that trick with an ugly ass shoe is another.

Have you seen the sh!t that the demographic he is selling to wears? Focking NASCAR jackets were a fashion statement in the mid 2000s. They don't care what it looks like, as long as everyone knows what you are wearing is considered expensive.

I don't disagree with anyone going out on their own trying to market and sell a shoe. In fact, as I said earlier in the thread, I like the idea.

I know a little bit about this stuff, as I worked for Nike for awhile.

There are no standards when it comes to this. This is a "small" business shoe company. How many small business basketball shoe companies are there? Over 200 shoes isn't bad at all. Lets say the shoe cost $100 and he sold 1,000 of them, which is essentially the same thing, you guys would probably then be calling it a semi success even when the profit is the same just the margins went down.

Have you seen the sh!t that the demographic he is selling to wears? Focking NASCAR jackets were a fashion statement in the mid 2000s. They don't care what it looks like, as long as everyone knows what you are wearing is considered expensive.

The Mud Jeans are expensive too at $500 a pop - how are those doing?

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Not many people are standing in line in hopes that others notice they are wearing the overpriced sneakers of some idiot and his ass hole dad. That's why he couldn't even sell 300 pairs. lol That's Ryan Leaf-level flop.

Not many people are standing in line in hopes that others notice they are wearing the overpriced sneakers of some idiot and his ass hole dad. That's why he couldn't even sell 300 pairs. lol That's Ryan Leaf-level flop.

If he sells 200-250 a day for the foreseeable future would you call that a success? Thats grossing over 3 million a year.

If he sells 200-250 a day for the foreseeable future would you call that a success? Thats grossing over 3 million a year.

:doh:

There are no standards when it comes to this. This is a "small" business shoe company. How many small business basketball shoe companies are there? Over 200 shoes isn't bad at all. Lets say the shoe cost $100 and he sold 1,000 of them, which is essentially the same thing, you guys would probably then be calling it a semi success even when the profit is the same just the margins went down.

The industry is athletic shoe design, mfg and sales, specifically, hoops shoes. Big company, small company, either way, he's in the same biz as his direct competitors Nike, Adidas, And UA.

Like it or not, he's competing with the big guys and the stars they have under contract.

Make no mistake, they control the market and set the industry standards.

But at one time, they were all small companies too.

Nike started with a track coach pouring rubber into a waffle maker to make a better running shoe.

The Ball family claims regarding initial sales have been proven false by the article referenced above.

Feel free to root for them if you like, but don't kid yourself about the initial sales.