Sign in to follow this  
edjr

'Star Wars' opened on this day in 1977

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/star-wars-opened-day-1977-081804113--abc-news-movies.html

On May 25, 1977, fans were introduced to a galaxy far, far away.
While 20th Century Fox had little faith a movie called "Star Wars" would be a hit, the space opera from young filmmaker named George Lucas became a worldwide cultural phenomenon.
Forty years, and a handful of sequels, prequels, and follow-ups later, the multibillion-dollar franchise is a popular as ever.
After a successful re-launch with J.J. Abrams' "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in 2015, fans also flocked to the first standalone "anthology" movie, 2016's "Star Wars: Rogue One." In December, we'll see the eighth chapter of the core franchise, "The Last Jedi."
Next year comes a film about the early days of Han Solo, scheduled for a May 25, 2018, release, followed by "Episode IX" on May 24, 2019. There's also at least one other rumored standalone film about the early adventures of another fan favorite character.
Mark Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker in the franchise, thanked fans for their years of dedication at a panel at the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando last month.
"It's almost moving when you really think about how we've affected so many people, inspired so many people," he told fans. "t's generational -- that it's handed down: the original fans are grown, with children of their own."
He added, "It's a gift, and something I will never take for granted."
Of course, any "Star Wars" anniversary reminds fans that Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia -- later General Leia -- is no longer with us. In the latest issue of Vanity Fair -- which features different "Star Wars" stars on four different covers -- Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says the late actress was determined to be the hero of "Episode IX," coming in 2019.
"The minute she finished [shooting 'Episode VIII'], she grabbed me and said, ‘I’d better be at the forefront of 'IX!'’ Because Harrison [Ford] was front and center on 'VII,' and Mark [Hamill] is front and center on 'VIII,'" says Kennedy. "She thought 'IX' would be her movie. And it would have been.”
As for Hamill, he tells Vanity Fair, "I can't say that phrase ... Carrie's name and then the 'd-word.' Because I think of her in the present tense. Maybe it’s a form of denial, but she’s so vibrant in my mind, and so vital a part of the family, that I can’t imagine it without her.”
Hamill also reveals that he and Fisher were "really attracted to each other" back in the day, and even had "makeout sessions," until they decided to pull back for fear of harming their relationship. In the "Star Wars" universe, of course, Luke and Leia were twins, but in that original film, they didn't know that.
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" opens Dec. 15 from Disney, parent company of ABC News.

:thumbsup:

Still have never watched any of the Star Wars, was suppose to watched with a buddy from work for the first time last weekend but we rescheduled.

Hell yes..

Rogue one was outstanding, glad they are doing more standalones.

I would say I saw the original, albeit in pieces over time. I haven't seen one iota of any of the gazillion sequels or prequels since. I was 9 years old when it came out and far more interested in sports and other reality-based stuff, like pro wrasslin'. :ninja:

1st 3 movies were maybe 5 hours in total.

That left you with 344554567 other hours to play sports and watch that fraud Richard Morgan Fliehr

That left you with 344554567 other hours to play sports and watch that fraud Richard Morgan Fliehr

He should have shortened his name to D1ck Flair. HTH

Didn't see it until it's re-release in 1997. Went with a broad who likes this goofy shite. The things you do to get laid.

Didn't see it until it's re-release in 1997. Went with a broad who likes this goofy shite. The things you do to get laid.

spray tan and frosted tips? THEY'RE GRRRRREAT!

:nono: I was obsessed with sports when I was a kid.

:nono: I was obsessed with sports when I was a kid.

I was too.

I didn't see Star Wars until the 80s, I was too young when they came out

I was too.

I didn't see Star Wars until the 80s, I was too young when they came out

You calling me old? :mad:

To quote the immortal Ric Flair-- "I may be the oldest ride in the park, but I still got the longest line. WHOOOO!!!"

You calling me old? :mad:

To quote the immortal Ric Flair-- "I may be the oldest ride in the park, but I still got the longest line. WHOOOO!!!"

to go with the shortest time between taking a piss

• Like 1

And then ~eight months later, I was the last kid in my school to see it when it finally reached the $1.50 cinema.

And then ~eight months later, I was the last kid in my school to see it when it finally reached the $1.50 cinema.

Po' ltaire ?

i was 8 when it came out. love it. i have seen all of them. they strayed badly with jar jar, and the prequels. while there are flaws with force awakens, overall they did a nice job tieing the old to the new.

Po' ltaire ?

You got that right. My father's work resume reads like GFIAFP's.

It happened, we dealt with it.

Sadly, I never really did pull my self out of the hole, but a sideway shift to China allowed me to marry a really pretty girl and my kids can experience a middle class Chinese life, which is much better than what I grew up with.

Then six years later, "Return of the Jedi" was released on this day...

Then six years later, "Return of the Jedi" was released on this day...

I'd think you were anti star wars, but you like GOT, so maybe not?

A ton of people railed against ROTJ, but I liked it, a lot.

I'd think you were anti star wars, but you like GOT, so maybe not?

A ton of people railed against ROTJ, but I liked it, a lot.

I didn't like the Ewoks, could have done without them...

Nope, not me... I like Star Wars... I don't go to the movies to catch them when they come out as I usually wait until they are online streaming or cable...

Was bad ass, I was hooked immediately... And coming off the horror of seeing Jaws - I needed a feel good movie.

My dad was a big Star Trek rerun fan and I hated that sh!t. Every night around dinner time, we would watch it.

When he came home and announced he was taking us to the movies to see Star Wars I was dreading it, because I thought it would be more of the same.

I sat with my popcorn and siblings in the front row and was instantly mesmerized.

When they flew the x wings down through the tunnels of the death star, it felt like inwas in there wih them. It was the coolest thing I's ever seen on a screen.

Star Trek is terrible

Star Trek is terrible

I tried, several times to get into ST - wasn't for me.

I tried, several times to get into ST - wasn't for me.

It really is shite

Man, that is some serious memories. I remember standing outside of the Continental theater waiting to see the movie with John Geddes. Different times my friends different times.

me and my dad waited in line for this, jaws too.

i had just gotten my first pair of glasses. :shocking:

me and my dad waited in line for this, jaws too.

i had just gotten my first pair of glasses. :shocking:

And a day later some kid who played sports knocked them off.

And a day later some kid who played sports knocked them off.

then he put his hot dog in my azz. :cry: