Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

QB Discussion thread

I will make two points, you can comment on one or both if you like.

1. PPF has come out with their OL ratings and I noticed Seattle and Houston are in the bottom 5 along with Arizona, LAC, and Baltimore. Now Im sure this is a large part of the problem Wilson and Watson are having, so how can you feel good about throwing those guys out there knowing they are going to get killed and possibly injured? We know both QBs are great, but with those OLs, can you trust them?

2. In addition, how much weight to you put on one game? Look at guys like MATT RYAN and BLAKE BORTLES. Both stunk in week one but were great in week 2. How do you interpret this? You could say, well, Ryan had the tough Eagles in week one, but look at what FitzMagic did against them in week 2. And Bortles had a mediocre Giants defense in week one and stunk but then he plays big in week two against Belichecks Patriots. So, which Ryan and Bortles is the real person? Do you base it on their resume? If so, RYAN is good, BORTLES is not....so is that all there is?

Any thoughts here on what I said on either point?

A couple of thoughts:

First, any ranking of OL's that does not include Buffalo in the bottom 5 should not be trusted. The Bills OL is putrid.

Second, yes OL's make a difference. But sometimes playing on bad team can mean a lot of passing. The seasons of RWilson and Watson are not over.

Third, mid-tier QBs are inconsistent. That's always a problem. If you're rolling out a Ryan or Bortles you are taking a risk. And if you have to take a risk on a low level QB, I'd try rolling the dice on the FitzMagic train while it lasts.

A couple of thoughts:

First, any ranking of OL's that does not include Buffalo in the bottom 5 should not be trusted. The Bills OL is putrid.

Second, yes OL's make a difference. But sometimes playing on bad team can mean a lot of passing. The seasons of RWilson and Watson are not over.

Third, mid-tier QBs are inconsistent. That's always a problem. If you're rolling out a Ryan or Bortles you are taking a risk. And if you have to take a risk on a low level QB, I'd try rolling the dice on the FitzMagic train while it lasts.

Buffalo was number 8 worst

As for Wilson...it was hard watching that MNF game. Had he not thrown two garbage tds at the end he gets about 4 points. Plus, I’m worried about his health.

I wish FitzMagic was available...I’d throw him in in a heartbeat.

Good QB's sometimes make their OL's look better than they are. Some RB's too.

I never thought of Russell Wilson as a great QB. I don't think I've ever seen him sit in the pocket, execute a game plan, and pick a defense apart throughout an entire game. He's at his best when a play breaks down, he can then go into schoolyard mode and do his thing.

As far as point 2 goes in the OP. These games are predictably unpredictable. I listen to a lot of talking heads on radio and tv and I swear these guys, who know more than us because they've played the game, couldn't tell us anymore about what's going to happen before/during a game than us rubes at fftoday mange board. Fact of the matter is there's a lot of luck to playing FF but there are a few guys around here who are pretty good at this game, much better than anything you'll see elsewhere.

• Like 1

Bortles is the new Fitz.

Lol.....there is only one Magic Man in the House, and he lives in Tampa Bay. I’m all in believing he can do it......

As for Bortles, I believe Bortles has had an up and down career so having one great game usually gets followed by 2 not so great games. I have little faith in him especially when on the road.

There are differing styles and types of Olines and playing styles.

One type is how they address the line.

Attacking

Neutral

Retreating

Another type is offensive focus

pass

rush

Stunts

Pulling

Other position involvment

TE

FB

All of these determine many things.

1. effectiveness of the offense.

2. qb hurries, knock downs, sacks

Worse an o line is the more defenders can fill in the secondary and the fewer defenders needs to rush/blitz

Worse an o line is, worst it is for the development of a QB. Rookie QB shouldn't be learning how to avoid blitzs but rather execute an offense. See Cleveland

random thoughts end here. your thoughts

btw, is a good indicator for which teams to avoid taking players from. is a good indicator in determing which offenses may be good enough to setup for more FG options