Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

You like the receiving options??

Yikes

We all know what we had in Dez......and so did our opponents. There's no stud, but now there's an element of surprise. I'm not saying it's our strength, but I think we'll get by. Time will tell.

We all know what we had in Dez......and so did our opponents. There's no stud, but now there's an element of surprise. I'm not saying it's our strength, but I think we'll get by. Time will tell.

I dont think WR is that important. But with a young QB that people want to see take a step up....hard to make a jump with limited good options. Or even a decent receiving TE. Fans seem to pretty much banking on a 3rd round rookie to be their top WR this very year.

You like the receiving options??

Yikes

Same for the oline. First to worst type deal with the heavy injury impacts.

On offense, this is going to be your "find out what you really have in Dak" year. There aren't WR's that scare anybody, nothing at TE. Zeke is going to face 7 in the box all the time until the Cowboys prove they can pass. Offensive line is a HUGE question mark right now, both in terms of talent (with Frederick gone and Smith still ailing some) and particularly cohesiveness.

Strength of the DST will be speed of the LB's, but pass coverage is going to be an issue. Defensive line could turn out to be a strength if guys return healthy and stay out of trouble.

It will be an interesting year. Philly is the class of the division, but they may struggle early, maybe event until mid-season with the injuries they have. The Giants are improved and I actually think Washington is better with Alex Smith. I think everything is going to depend on the Cowboys passing game, almost in an all-or-none way. If it gels they could win the division, if not, I think they could be the worst team. But with health, it's still Philly's division to lose.

On offense, this is going to be your "find out what you really have in Dak" year.

yep. the leadership and poise are great and all, but this is the year we need to see dak winning football games for the team. he doesn't have to do it on his own every week, but he needs to demonstrate the capability to shoulder the load. if so, then he will have earned a strong second contract. if not, then it's time to start looking at QB prospects.

one thing that scares me is that a mediocre season could be explained away by a "no weapons in the passing game" narrative.

yep. the leadership and poise are great and all, but this is the year we need to see dak winning football games for the team. he doesn't have to do it on his own every week, but he needs to demonstrate the capability to shoulder the load. if so, then he will have earned a strong second contract. if not, then it's time to start looking at QB prospects.

one thing that scares me is that a mediocre season could be explained away by a "no weapons in the passing game" narrative.

Romo took a lot of heat for the prominent losses the Cowboys had, and I was harsh critic of him early on. But at the end (before the injuries) Romo was flat out a good QB, maybe one of the best minds behind center in the game. Romo could keep the Cowboys in games when everything else wasn't going their way. I'm not sure Dak can do that, but it's time for him to prove it. I would be a lot more positive if his line was in tact, but he still has very few weapons outside of Zeke.

I'm of the mind that Hurns and Beasley will surprise. The oline is a concern, but Dak is better than most give him credit for (you guys are harsh on yer qbs) and zeke is a force. An improved defense should keep them in positive game scripts.

I think Prescott sucks but Beasley should be solid in a ppr for sure. Probably because he will catch like a 1000 6 yard passes. Or even broken play loop passes across the field in no man's land.

This was a pretty good D they faced, but man, this could be a rough year. Dak was pressured and kept resorting to the jump across the body throw. Swaim was a pleasant surprise however, but I'm not sure Dak trusts anyone outside of Beasley ATM.

Dad can't be afraid to let it rip right away. He tends to hold on to it too long and by then everyone is covered and no one can get open.

Raise your hand if you've heard this before:

Cowboys get drilled

Cowboys looked unprepared

Cowboys lack creativity

Cowboys look lost

Cowboys look undisciplined

Cowboys make no in game adjustments

Cowboys get outcoached

:lol: ..............:rolleyes:..........:lol:

Be interesting to hear how the Jason Garrett pom pom crowd spins this pig.

Thank Gawd for the defense - or this would have been a route... Props to that unit, they actually look like a legit defense - could damn near be fantastic if we had safeties worth a shiit.

* Dallas either misses Bill Callahan like a mofo, or they have the most overrated "great offensive" line in football. 2 years in a row this unit has lost a starter and both times that one guy being out sunk the ship. Connor Williams, that's what we wasted a 2nd round pick on? Get him off the field before he gets our QB killed......... The rest of the guys, you looked like ass as well. And yes that means you too Tyron Smith and L. Collins.

* There are Division 2 college football teams with more offensive creativity that this team has. We are the only team in the league that has never heard of crossing routes or pick plays. NE runs them ALL the time - and guess what? Their no name, little wrs get open with regularity... There was one drive late the 4th when Linehan actually had Beasley worth the middle and run some crossing routes - and guess what? They worked, they hit for big plays...... Then we just all of the sudden stopped - why???

* Dak - I love you brotha, but you are awful. I'm not sure if you're aiming at our wrs feet or if the ball is heavy or what - but they can't catch it in the dirt...And WTF is up with all the 3 yard passes? Throw the damn thing down the field... If we have anything over 3rd and 5 we are focked...Oh and while I'm at it - how in the hell does a 3 year starter get TWO delay of game penalties???

* Our 1st timeout of the year - we had to burn on a punt return set up.............Now THAT'S the sign of a well coached team...

They need to re think this Dak thing.

The QB class coming out is decent.

As a Hawkeye fan, I am hoping Nate Stanley progresses and the cowboys snag him in the 2020 draft

Garrett-Prescott just isn't working. If they had fired Garrett after last season, they could have seen how Prescott handles a different coach. Now they are in the position of riding out Prescott's contract and going back to square 1.

how do you not get your guys ready to play the season opener? how is that even possible?

garrett has absolutely lost me. like ben said on 105.3, the best possible thing for this team would be to quit on garrett like they quit on wade 9 years ago. force jerry to can him, write off the rest of the season, and head into 2019 with a top-10 pick to spend on a QB.

wow 1 game and Cowboys nation is ready to write off the season in the hopes of getting their coach fired? Are things really that bleak?

If Frederick sits all year, then I think yes. Looked like a 6 win team, with O line problems

wow 1 game and Cowboys nation is ready to write off the season in the hopes of getting their coach fired? Are things really that bleak?

it isn't 1 game. it's the last 9 years. i've been a garrett defender for a very long time, but the same things he was doing wrong 6 years ago, he's still doing wrong.

how do you not get your guys ready to play the season ###### opener? how is that even possible?

garrett has absolutely lost me. like ben said on 105.3, the best possible thing for this team would be to quit on garrett like they quit on wade 9 years ago. force jerry to can him, write off the rest of the season, and head into 2019 with a top-10 pick to spend on a QB.

You know me, I've been beating this drum for years now... I just hope Jerry is actually starting to feel the pressure now too.. Of course, as long as fans keep filling up the Death Star - maybe not.

Prescott has no targets. Defense can load up to stop Zeke. Could be a long season.

Wouldn't matter if he did - least any names of note.

For one, you have to have time... Like I said, this is the only offensive line in football that when a starter is out - the whole thing collapses. Teams all over the league are playing with backups, and getting by - not this team. You take 1 starter out, looks like a collection of junior college transfers picked up off the streets.

Two, even when Dak gets time, he hits them in the feet.. I swear, 3 years in, you'd think your qb would be efficient at throwing the ball 20 yards down the field. Dak might be the most inaccurate passer I've seen come thru here - even Quincy wasn't this bad. I honestly think if you gave Dak 5 balls to hit the broadside of a barn, 3 would miss... If we have anything over 3rd and 5, and have to throw it - warm up the punter.

Lastly, Abbott & Costello (aka Linehan/Garrett).. These two could turn Randy Moss and Jerry Rice into back up no names. They have no idea how create separation with crossing routes, underneath work or picks - nor do they believe in motion... The defense, more often than not, knows what's coming - they are as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

I dunno man - Dez was abeast and accounted for a lot of defensive attention. Just like any great WR: The defense has to plan for him and take him into account every play. He makes the rest of the players around him better since they can get open easier and he often pulls a safety with him each play. Randy Moss was the king of absorbing 2 defenders like every play. That means you can run the ball against 9 guys instead of 10 or 11. Huge difference.

I still dont get why they didnt sign Dez. I understand there might have ben some financial issues but geez.....??? Cole beasley is a cool dude and all but he is NOT going to scare anyone. Zeke and Dak need Dez or someone like him out there to be effective, IMO. The defense is going to have to play lights out every single game or its going to be a long season for the 'Boys. If they get down a score or two its game over. Hell, they might be in trouble just down by one score after what I saw this weekend.

You must be new.

This is hardly a knee jerk reaction.. What this is - is a continuation of lengthy, years and years, same old trash that we've seen from Jason Garrett.

Unpreparedness, inability to make adjustments, deer-in-the-headlights, non-creativity, predictability - all trademarks of Red. This is hardly new, this has been going on for years now.. Some are just late to the party and finally accepting it.

You must be new.

This is hardly a knee jerk reaction.. What this is - is a continuation of lengthy, years and years, same old trash that we've seen from Jason Garrett.

Unpreparedness, inability to make adjustments, deer-in-the-headlights, non-creativity, predictability - all trademarks of Red. This is hardly new, this has been going on for years now.. Some are just late to the party and finally accepting it.

Wish I was new, but I've been here for years. I get that you don't like your coach and want him to be fired. However, to want to tank the season after one game against a better team on the road, seems more apropos to fan base of the Bills or the Jets, not "America's Team"

Wish I was new, but I've been here for years. I get that you don't like your coach and want him to be fired. However, to want to tank the season after one game against a better team on the road, seems more apropos to fan base of the Bills or the Jets, not "America's Team"

I've been a fan of this team for over 40 years... I've seen the darkest of days and rode them out.

But this is a different kind of low - this is a low coupled with an aging owner who seems content to be average, with an owner more concerned with building wealth than winning football games/titles... And when somebody becomes content, they resist change.........We are there, we have been there.

This team missed it's window. Why? Garrett is not a head coach and Jerry's an attention whoar. Good owners let others around them take credit for success.

As long as the Cowboys are Jerry's favorite toy to play with, they won't contend for championships.

Wouldn't matter if he did - least any names of note.

For one, you have to have time... Like I said, this is the only offensive line in football that when a starter is out - the whole thing collapses. Teams all over the league are playing with backups, and getting by - not this team. You take 1 starter out, looks like a collection of junior college transfers picked up off the streets.

Two, even when Dak gets time, he hits them in the feet.. I swear, 3 years in, you'd think your qb would be efficient at throwing the ball 20 yards down the field. Dak might be the most inaccurate passer I've seen come thru here - even Quincy wasn't this bad. I honestly think if you gave Dak 5 balls to hit the broadside of a barn, 3 would miss... If we have anything over 3rd and 5, and have to throw it - warm up the punter.

Lastly, Abbott & Costello (aka Linehan/Garrett).. These two could turn Randy Moss and Jerry Rice into back up no names. They have no idea how create separation with crossing routes, underneath work or picks - nor do they believe in motion... The defense, more often than not, knows what's coming - they are as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

The GM could also be a problem, Witten wasn't hanging around forever. The TE has been the most important piece of the Cowboys offense for nearly 20 years. They should have at gone after Graham and landed him at all costs.

Ok didn't realize things were quite that dark.

nor did I

Yes, some bad decisions were made and there's been a major transition in the last couple of years (see salary cap and chemistry). And yes we've let some talent slip through our fingers, but a lot of youth has been injected into what was a great but underachieving team. ( Romo, Murray, Dez, Witten ) Dez's "dropped pass" in Green Bay symbolizes that era well. It's time to forget what could have been and give the kids a chance. Hopefully THIS is the make it or break it year for the coaching staff, especially Red.

The GM could also be a problem, Witten wasn't hanging around forever. The TE has been the most important piece of the Cowboys offense for nearly 20 years. They should have at gone after Graham and landed him at all costs.

I agree.

Although I will give Jerry some credit - one time he fire an early pick at trying to find a Witten replacement.... 2013 Dallas took Gavin Escobar in the 2nd - he busted out.. Not sure if it was a coaching failure or he just sucked - but it didn't work.

This team missed it's window. Why? Garrett is not a head coach and Jerry's an attention whoar. Good owners let others around them take credit for success.

As long as the Cowboys are Jerry's favorite toy to play with, they won't contend for championships.

Jerry thinks that Jerry is the smartest guy in the room.

Jerry thinks that Jerry is the smartest guy in the room.

More than that - given the choice of:

1) Jerry winning a SB on his own, his way.....or..... 2)Jerry winning a SB with somebody else getting the credit

Jerry will take #1 all day long and twice on Sundays... His ego is that focking gigantic.

More than that - given the choice of:

1) Jerry winning a SB on his own, his way.....or..... 2)Jerry winning a SB with somebody else getting the credit

Jerry will take #1 all day long and twice on Sundays... His ego is that focking gigantic.

It's worse. Jerry will take 3) a losing season his own way...over winning a SB with someone else getting the credit.

It's worse. Jerry will take 3) a losing season his own way...over winning a SB with someone else getting the credit.

Yea my bad, that's what I actually meant to convey - I goofed. lol

you and brotherbock are both correct :thumbsup:

sad but true :shocking:

even witten quit on garrett. while he was losing steps, it's clear that he could still play. you don't have a guy go from 63 catches and 96% of the offensive snaps to out of the game in one season. but jason witten--a future first ballot HOFer who had accomplished everything in the NFL except a ring--decided to hang them up.

seems pretty evident that he figured it would be impossible to get a ring on garrett's team.

who am i to disagree with witten?

I dunno man - Dez was abeast and accounted for a lot of defensive attention. Just like any great WR: The defense has to plan for him and take him into account every play. He makes the rest of the players around him better since they can get open easier and he often pulls a safety with him each play. Randy Moss was the king of absorbing 2 defenders like every play. That means you can run the ball against 9 guys instead of 10 or 11. Huge difference.

I still dont get why they didnt sign Dez. I understand there might have ben some financial issues but geez.....??? Cole beasley is a cool dude and all but he is NOT going to scare anyone.

you're talking like it's 2014. dez hasn't been that guy for 3 years. last season, teams just quit doubling him at all, and started bracketing beasley instead. dez still couldn't get open...even when he wasn't quitting on routes or dropping passes.

no sane owner is going to spend $17M a year for no production.

LOL. I actually read it the way that you meant it, didn't see the mistake until now. My point was that, not only would he take losing the SB his way, he'd take a 7-9 season and missing the playoffs his way.