Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Look-Alike Players 2015: Brandin Cooks vs. Jordan Matthews

Who would you draft first: Brandin Cooks or Jordan Matthews?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft: Cooks or Matthews?

• Brandin Cooks
    • Jordan Matthews

It's time for another summer of Look-Alike Player threads...if you're new to the Board, every few days during the summer, I will try to post a thread that lists two players who are very close in value in redraft situations. Simply vote for the player you feel should be drafted first and then add comments about your selection if you would like.

This is non-PPR for Look-Alike matchups that involve RBs, WRs, or TEs. Just standard point for every 10 yards and 6 for TDs.

The second Look-Alike Matchup for this summer is: Brandin Cooks vs. Jordan Matthews

A couple of sophomore wideouts...

This one is really close for me and I'd like to vote for Matthews, but I voted Cooks mostly because I think Chip Kelly would rather pencil-whip his opponents than rely on his most talented players. I really fear that the Eagles first stringers will end up with very mediocre stats as Kelly schemes to get production out the second and third stringers so that he can look brilliant.

Cooks a lot more then Matthews.

I'll take Matthews. Cook wood disappear when he was not playing at home. His game seems really limited when he is off of turf. I think Matthews is a more physical receiver in the redzone. I also don't like Cooks yard/rec numbers. He either wasn't getting separation down field or had issues fighting for the ball.

Cooks all day. Without a doubt. I would rather have Aghelor than MatThews

Agree I think Matthews could be the second best WR on a team that is very questionable at Qb . Plus they have two solid WR and have three Rb that can all catch and will be used a lot on the passing game . I think Cooks will learn from season one getting a lot of coaching and he also has a Qb .

I'll take Matthews. Cook wood disappear when he was not playing at home. His game seems really limited when he is off of turf. I think Matthews is a more physical receiver in the redzone. I also don't like Cooks yard/rec numbers. He either wasn't getting separation down field or had issues fighting for the ball.

Its because Brees wanted to get cooks the ball underneath coverage to let him make a play. He is one of those receivers where y/r is very misleading. Its a good thing honestly. It means the saints arent dumb enough to waste his talent and send him deep every play.

• Like 1

I agree with much of what is being said but agree with V4E. I could see Cooks getting 20 more catches but 4 less TD's.

I really dont get the assumption that cooks will not have many TDs. His qb is drew brees, so who else is brees going to throw his tds to? Old ass marcus colston? Graham is gone. Stills is gone. Hill is not jimmy graham. Maybe a solid goal line option but nothing special. Targets are king in the land of the WR. Cooks should have a metric fvck ton of em.

Spiller , he is going to get a lot of targets and around the goal line he will be used just like they used Sproles.

Spiller , he is going to get a lot of targets and around the goal line he will be used just like they used Sproles.

Oh spiller will take all the Tds. Thanks for clarifying.

I voted for Jordan Matthews. He's more capable of having the huge game (ie 100yds, 2+td's) and at 6'3" he's a better redzone threat. Cooks might be a bit consistent week to week though.

I voted for Jordan Matthews. He's more capable of having the huge game (ie 100yds, 2+td's) and at 6'3" he's a better redzone threat. Cooks might be a bit consistent week to week though.

I love me some consistency

I understand by "look-alike" players, we are probably talking stat projections but aside from that this is Porsche vs Land Rover.

Its hard for me not to project Cooks getting peppered continually with targets including playing on the road-in the grass (which they don't do much of in any case). I think the targets are going to be far less consistent on a week-week basis for JM. I prefer highly targeted - large touch players as building blocks for my roster even at the expense of TD potential, though I have a feeling Cooks will do fine in the TD department as well.

Give a prime Wes Welker that's going to get 10 tgts a week over a guy who may score 12 TDs. The numbers may end the year equally, but I prefer the totals evenly distributed over the course of the year in at least 3 of my lineup slots.

In this case I think Cooks scores more for the year AND does it with greater consistency from week to week. Cooks and not really close for me.

• Like 1

Oh spiller will take all the Tds. Thanks for clarifying.

No problem . Always here to help you out brother .

What has Cooks done? Matthews a solid year as a rookie and is now the #1. To say he is the second best wr on his team is a joke.

872 for 8 tds in limited time on the field

Cooks

550 for 3tds and a injury

Choice is easy in my opinion.

Cooks all the way, could push 100. Look out for mathews next year tho.

Next year as in 2016? What will be different then?

What has Cooks done? Matthews a solid year as a rookie and is now the #1. To say he is the second best wr on his team is a joke.

872 for 8 tds in limited time on the field

Cooks

550 for 3tds and a injury

Choice is easy in my opinion.

What kind of logic is that? He was a rookie and lost 6 games due to injury. Their overall points arent that far apart if you extrapolate. Plus if cooks continued to grow as a receiver like matthews did their stats would probably be near identical, especially with brees needing to rely on another target with a gimpy graham.

I noted the injury, meaning less than a season of work and injured.

This is non ppr btw

Yeah you noted it and dismissed his season basically, or at least thats what i am getting from what you said. If you like matthews then that is your opinion. I just wanted to point out that their seasons wouldnt have been all that different had cooks not been injured.

Non PPR Cooks avg 8.6 points per game Matthews avg 8.5 . PPR Cooks avg 13:9 Matthews avg 12:6 . That's from fftoday . Thank you.

Would you feel comfortable if one of these guys were your WR2?

100%. I personally think BOTH outscore OBJ this season in PPR leagues

Like both of them a lot in the flex postion , but Cooks I can see as a number 2 WR and a lot of that thinking is because he has a Qb . Matthews has a lot of talent but I question the Qb postion on the Eagles , and there is a lot more other options on the Eagles , with the signings of both Murray and R Matthew and also you have Sproles all at Rb and all have shown the ability to catch the ball , plus two te and plus the Eagles drafted another good young WR . The Saints lost both Graham and Stills so I can see a lot more targets going towards Cooks then to Matthews , plus again I will take Brees over any Qb the Eagles have on roster right now . So yea I can see Cooks has a 2 WR . Thank You Jesus

Would you feel comfortable if one of these guys were your WR2?

24 WRs aren't going to be taken ahead of them, so yeah.

24 WRs aren't going to be taken ahead of them, so yeah.

I understand that but by keeping Cooks it allows me to address other things if I pencil him in as a WR2. That's why I was curious to see how many view him as a WR2.

The WR w. the better O Line wins this battle. If NO addressed their O line issues, then look for Brees to spread the ball around a lot. A healthy(ier) Colston and an effective CJ Spiller will open up a lot of room for Cooks. This is simply trust I have that Sean Payton knows how to make that offense work. Didn't they already rest Ingram a little during OTAS? Cooks ought to get some of the passes that aren't going to go to Jimmy Graham/Kenny Stills in 2015.

At 6'3", Matthews is a bigger red zone target. But haven't seen enough of Chip Kelly at the NFL level to be certain his complete revamp of the offense works along w. moving Matthews from inside to outside.

Cooks has Brees at QB and Matthews has Bradford, Sanchez, and Tebow.

Sammy Watkins nearly had 1,000 yards receiving with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel

Eric Decker was a fringe WR2 last season in PPR leagues and had Geno Smith & Mike Vick.

I'm starting to believe that the "but he has ______ as his quarterback" argument is the most overrated fantasy cliché out there.

Don't believe me? Go scour these and other boreds for the name A.J. Green.

Sammy Watkins nearly had 1,000 yards receiving with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel

Eric Decker was a fringe WR2 last season in PPR leagues and had Geno Smith & Mike Vick.

I'm starting to believe that the "but he has ______ as his quarterback" argument is the most overrated fantasy cliché out there.

Don't believe me? Go scour these and other boreds for the name A.J. Green.

I bet you spit when you type .

Matthews has the potential to put up big numbers one week and then a dud the next. Cooks is going to be highly targeted and more consistent. So it depends on what you're looking for and how you like to build your roster. Personally, I'm gonna take the guy I know is going to be targeted a lot. So I'm taking cooks. However, I have a feeling you can get him as a wr3 in a 12-14 man league. I do agree that Spiller will prob take away some of those TDs but Cooks will still get his.

Also with this the loss of Graham will allow defense to prep for NO a bit different, with Philly they added weapons and have some more options...

Both are solid WR#2 no doubt but Matthews has WR#1 potential more then Cooks this season imho..

I see what you are saying about Matthew upside and I agree with you , if I felt comfortable about the Eagles Qb postion . There is a lot of targets on the Eagles compared to the Saints and if Brees was a Eagle then hands down I am buying Matthews but he is not and for that reason I am at this time buying Cooks .

Word is that the Eagles are predominantly going to use Jordan Matthews in the slot this upcoming season same as last season (92.4% of his routes last year).

Only Randall Cobb had more receptions, yards and touchdowns from the slot than Jordan Matthews did in 2014.

I see what you are saying about Matthew upside and I agree with you , if I felt comfortable about the Eagles Qb postion . There is a lot of targets on the Eagles compared to the Saints and if Brees was a Eagle then hands down I am buying Matthews but he is not and for that reason I am at this time buying Cooks .

I would be worried as well but Matthews performed well with Sanchez at the helm..that's why I'm not to concerned myself thou

Word is that the Eagles are predominantly going to use Jordan Matthews in the slot this upcoming season same as last season (92.4% of his routes last year).Only Randall Cobb had more receptions, yards and touchdowns from the slot than Jordan Matthews did in 2014.

Great point .

The WR w. the better O Line wins this battle. If NO addressed their O line issues, then look for Brees to spread the ball around a lot. A healthy(ier) Colston and an effective CJ Spiller will open up a lot of room for Cooks. This is simply trust I have that Sean Payton knows how to make that offense work. Didn't they already rest Ingram a little during OTAS? Cooks ought to get some of the passes that aren't going to go to Jimmy Graham/Kenny Stills in 2015.

At 6'3", Matthews is a bigger red zone target. But haven't seen enough of Chip Kelly at the NFL level to be certain his complete revamp of the offense works along w. moving Matthews from inside to outside.

The better O line wins battle? Then that's the eagles

The better O line wins battle? Then that's the eagles

Even without Evan Mathis, I'd agree.