Full Metal Jacket

Dirty Dozen

Platoon

1. Deer Hunter

2. Apocalypse Now

3. Full Metal Jacket

4. Saving Private Ryan

5. Platoon

Never seen Das Boot, but I heard it was really good. Honorable mentions to Glory, The Thin Red Line, and All Quiet on the Western Front.

It's good to make a new thread on this at least once a month

For my money, you can't have a list like this without "Midway". Really one of the best overall war movies of the time. They reference actual individuals and ships of both the American and Japanese navies. It's a compelling story in real life too. We only had 3 carriers (one still badly damaged) after Pearl Harbor. The Japanese Navy owned the seas. Six months to the day after Pearl Harbor, Midway occurs. The movie covers not only Midway - the single most important naval battle in American history, but the battle of the coral sea one month prior.

Both battles were historic. They were the first battles where the ships didn't actually engage each other - or even see each other. We were a shell of a navy and still managed to take out 4 of thier best carriers. Our guys rocked.

One could argue that this battle was to Japan as D-Day was to Germany. There were more battles to come, but there was no bigger turning point. Without it, we couldn't have launched our planes carrying the A-bomb from Tinian - or anywhere else in the Pacific. Had we lost Midway, we would have lost our remaining carriers. Had that occured, ultimately, Hawaii would have gone to the Japs (as it has now)(Midway is at the end of the Hawaiin Island chain). And, we'd be fighting a one-front war. - Furiously re-building a defensive fleet not at Hawaii, but at San Diego. Doubtful the Japs would have gone further than Hawaii. Their plan all along was to own the Pacific - not try and invade America.

Anway, if you guys haven't seen the movie, you really should. And, if you haven't read up on these two battles, you should do that too. Pretty incredible stuff given the technology back in the day. Just FINDING a carrier in the middle of the ginormous pacific ocean was more a matter of luck/blessing than anything else.

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

Midway

Das Boot

Band of Brothers is by far my all-time favorite, but I guess that's more of a series than an actual movie.

Also, I like many of the older movies, but the special effects and stuff are just horrid. With Hollywood doing so many focking re-makes nowadays, I wish they would re-make some of the older war movies.

"The Longest Day" comes to mind.

In no particular order:

Platoon

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Hmm...there are a few older ones that are good, too, like Tora! Tora! Tora! and maybe Patton. Those three up there are always on my best war movie list, esp. Platoon. LOVED. IT.

Really can't believe this one hasn't come up:

We Were Soldiers Once

Great movie. The scenes at home are pretty powerful too. Also has a couple of my favorite actors. Really well done.

Really can't believe this one hasn't come up:

We Were Soldiers Once

Great movie. The scenes at home are pretty powerful too. Also has a couple of my favorite actors. Really well done.

That the one with Mel Gibson? If so, yeah, that's really good too. Although I think the name of it was just "We Were Soldiers".

We Were Soldiers is a great one too.

It's actually called, "We Were Soldiers Once and Young" at least the book is.

One of the curlies is Lt. Col. Hal Moore's granddaughter.

That the one with Mel Gibson? If so, yeah, that's really good too. Although I think the name of it was just "We Were Soldiers".

Yeah, that's it. I always screw up the title because its based on the book "We were soldiers once - and young". - Or something like that.

ummmm....Kelly's Heroes....Where Eagles Dare.....The Longest Day...The Big Red One....

Speaking of great actors check out the stars in A Bridge Too Far that I mentioned earlier

Sean Connery

Michael Caine

Robert Redford

Gene Hackman

Anthony Hopkins

James Caan

Elliott Gould

and more

In Harm's Way 1965

John Wayne

Kirk Douglas

Burgess Meredith

Patricia Neal

Paula Prentiss

Tom Tryon

Jill Haworth

Dana Andrews

Carroll O'Conner

Slim Pickens

James Mitchum

Brandon DeWilde

George Kennedy

Bruce Cabot

Henry Fonda

Larry Hagman

Jerry Goldsmith

Battlefield Earth :music_guitarred:

:cry:

1 Apocalypse Now

2 Full Metal Jacket

3 Saving Private Ryan

4 Platoon

5 The Longest Day

Great list :music_guitarred:

If I could, I would love to add the entire Band of Brothers Series, it was just compelling

One that NEEDS to be mentioned - "Stalingrad". Was made in the 80's I believe, and it has subtitles as it is a German movie. Just like Das Boot. It was excellent.

Schlinder's List? Maybe.

I did enjoy that one as well, but it was not really a "war" film.....when a guy speaks of a war film it is something a bit more "gritty" and less documentary....

I did enjoy that one as well, but it was not really a "war" film.....when a guy speaks of a war film it is something a bit more "gritty" and less documentary....

Thanks for the tip there Siskel.

Hence the reason I put the MAYBE? at the end of my suggestion. I know it's really not a "war" movie.

Thanks for the tip there Siskel.

Hence the reason I put the MAYBE? at the end of my suggestion. I know it's really not a "war" movie.

WOW...What's up your cornhole today? :doublethumbsup: