Sign in to follow this  
Artista

Kobe Bryant

50 shots, 15 missed 3-pointers, even Swaggy P is like 'yeah, you might want to try and pass the ball every now and then, Kobe'.

He has 4 assists! That's double what he had in his 81 game.

Seeing it live was definitely surreal, but really it was the most Kobe thing Kobe has ever done.

50 shots, 15 missed 3-pointers, even Swaggy P is like 'yeah, you might want to try and pass the ball every now and then, Kobe'.

Ha for real, at least they won the game. Also its about 50/50 if Kobe even knows who Swaggy P is or has ever talked to him. Like when he shut down Smush Parker and told him he needed more accolades under his belt before he could talk to him.

Ha for real, at least they won the game. Also its about 50/50 if Kobe even knows who Swaggy P is or has ever talked to him. Like when he shut down Smush Parker and told him he needed more accolades under his belt before he could talk to him.

Just read the 50 attempts are all-time record(stat only became official in 1983, so Chamberlains 63 isn't counted). If he had attempted and missed two more 3's he would have broken that record too and tied the record for most misses in a game...set by Kobe Bryant at 30. yup, it was a fitting close to his career. :)

Just read the 50 attempts are all-time record(stat only became official in 1983, so Chamberlains 63 isn't counted). If he had attempted and missed two more 3's he would have broken that record too and tied the record for most misses in a game...set by Kobe Bryant at 30. yup, it was a fitting close to his career. :)

He has 6 of the top 8 most attempts in a game.

That's what made it so perfect. Up until about 3 minutes to go in the 4th, I was laughing/cringing at the shot attempts, but of course it's Kobe's last game, so why not? I was actually mostly watching the Warriors game because the Lakers game was painful to watch.

Then the dude just absolutely took over the game and truly played really well and WON THEM THE GAME. Albeit, Jazz weren't exactly playing the best defense, but still. Even the hatiest Kobe haters have to appreciate those last 3 minutes.

50 shots to score 60 isnt a big deal

generally if you score more points than shots taken thats a win

dudes regularly go like 9-23 and score 20 pts

again I hate Kobe

Well..... It's the most shots since 83-84.. So, it's kind of a big deal.

That's what Kobe does though, not surprised, just glad he is gone.

I feel bad for people who couldnt appreciate last night.

The league today is flat out terrible talent wise, and this was kind of a last glimpse into how great some of the players of the 80s, 90s, and kobes era really were.

20 years..one team..wont see it again IMO.

Until next year with Duncan?

• Like 1

He was treated as a kid with downs in a football game. Surprised he didn't get 70

Yep. Playing against all star game level defense and chucking 50 attempts should have gotten him at least 70. He sucks.

I feel bad for people who couldnt appreciate last night.

The league today is flat out terrible talent wise, and this was kind of a last glimpse into how great some of the players of the 80s, 90s, and kobes era really were.

Unless Tim Duncan plays next year.

Yep. Playing against all star game level defense and chucking 50 attempts should have gotten him at least 70. He sucks.

The kid in the wheelchair had a 90 yard kickoff return TD without a recharge on his battery, he's going to be all state.

• Like 1

Until next year with Duncan?

Apologize....yes and TD. Although i dont see him dropping a big number, getting fed like KB did last night.

final game of season for comparison

One of the most remarkable achievements of David Robinson’s career took place on April 24, 1994 against the Los Angeles Clippers. Entering the game trailing Shaquille O’Neal by 33 points in the race for the NBA scoring title, David scored 71 points on the Clippers and won the scoring title in the very last game of the regular season, averaging 29.8 points for the year. Shaq finished the season averaging 29.3 points. Only four other players have scored over 70 points in NBA history – Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, David Thompson and mostly recently Kobe Bryant.

To get to 71 points, David shot 63 percent from the floor making 26-of-41 attempts including a 3-pointer and 18-of-25 free throws. David filled up the stat line that night with things other than just points grabbing 10 rebounds and dishing out five assists and blocking two shots. Playing 44 of the 48 minutes in the game, David averaged 1.65 points a minute while he was on the court. Clippers coach Bob Weiss was said that Robinson was “dominant” and that he “double-teamed him with our forwards every time we could but he still scored points.”

final game of season for comparison

One of the most remarkable achievements of David Robinson’s career took place on April 24, 1994 against the Los Angeles Clippers. Entering the game trailing Shaquille O’Neal by 33 points in the race for the NBA scoring title, David scored 71 points on the Clippers and won the scoring title in the very last game of the regular season, averaging 29.8 points for the year. Shaq finished the season averaging 29.3 points. Only four other players have scored over 70 points in NBA history – Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, David Thompson and mostly recently Kobe Bryant.

To get to 71 points, David shot 63 percent from the floor making 26-of-41 attempts including a 3-pointer and 18-of-25 free throws. David filled up the stat line that night with things other than just points grabbing 10 rebounds and dishing out five assists and blocking two shots. Playing 44 of the 48 minutes in the game, David averaged 1.65 points a minute while he was on the court. Clippers coach Bob Weiss was said that Robinson was “dominant” and that he “double-teamed him with our forwards every time we could but he still scored points.”

And the next closest had 10 shots, which was the only other one that had double-digit shots...

What is your point?

Apologize....yes and TD. Although i dont see him dropping a big number, getting fed like KB did last night.

And then Dirk a season later :dunno:

And then Dirk a season later :dunno:

Meh...hes never had that widespread adoration like TD and KB...and not nearly as decorated.

But great career...love Dirk

I will :cry: when Timmy and Pop retire.

Meh...hes never had that widespread adoration like TD and KB...and not nearly as decorated.

But great career...love Dirk

True. Only being a top 15 all time player instead of top 10 means you can't count him as a guy that plays 20 years with one team, even if he does so.

True. Only being a top 15 all time player instead of top 10 means you can't count him as a guy that plays 20 years with one team, even if he does so.

No of course you can...my point was he just has never had that widespread adoration those other guys have.

I doubt youre going to see a dirk farewell tour. And folks arent going to revel in the long history of dirk and any iconic moments hes had.

And i love dirk and his game...IMO hes just not viewed in the same light..20 years or not.

No of course you can...my point was he just has never had that widespread adoration those other guys have.

I doubt youre going to see a dirk farewell tour. And folks arent going to revel in the long history of dirk and any iconic moments hes had.

And i love dirk and his game...IMO hes just not viewed in the same light..20 years or not.

Obviously you've hooked me, as Dirk is my favorite athlete of adulthood....

Dirk is a top 15ish all time player. He will likely finish top 5 in scoring. One of 10 guys ever I believe with 10 all NBA teams, an MVP, and a Finals MVP. Revolutionized the game as much as anyone playing today in that he created the stretch 4. He is one of the greatest playoff performers of all time and only 1 of 4 to average 25-10 in playoffs. He had one of the very greatest playoff runs of all time knocking off the back to back defending champ Lakers, followed by KD and Russ one season before their Finals trip, followed by the Lebron/Wade/Bosh villains.

But more to the point, you stated "20 years..one team..wont see it again IMO."....and that's what I was commenting on. Your cutoff of top 10 player, top 2 ever to do it level seems a bit arbitrary when a top 15 all timer and the 3rd best to ever do it is about to do so also.

Not to mention, Dirk is better than Kobe if your actual goal was to build around a guy and win.

Shaq was a shell that year. Wade put that team on it's back to get that championship.

2006 East Conf Finals.....Pistons at Heat in Game 6....Heat lead series 3-2

Shaq: 28 points, 16 rebounds, 5 blocks, on 12-14 from the field. Heat win 95-78 over Pistons to advance to first ever NBA Finals. The chances of winning a Game 7 on the Pistons home court weren't very good so if not for Shaq's strong performance in Game 6 on a night when Wade played poorly then the Heat would've never even made the Finals.

Shaq averaged 20 and 10 during this season so he was still an all-star center but not the dominate MVP presence anymore. Wade did have one amazing run in the NBA Finals vs Dallas but it needs to be pointed out that Avery Johnson decided to gear his defense around stopping Shaq after the way he owned Ben Wallace in the previous round. He had more faith in Josh Howard guarding Wade one on one than he did Dampier guarding Shaq one on one. Shaq still averaged a double/double in the 2006 Finals so it's not like he was just along for the ride. He wasn't a shell of himself till those last two seasons.

Obviously you've hooked me, as Dirk is my favorite athlete of adulthood....

Dirk is a top 15ish all time player. He will likely finish top 5 in scoring. One of 10 guys ever I believe with 10 all NBA teams, an MVP, and a Finals MVP. Revolutionized the game as much as anyone playing today in that he created the stretch 4. He is one of the greatest playoff performers of all time and only 1 of 4 to average 25-10 in playoffs. He had one of the very greatest playoff runs of all time knocking off the back to back defending champ Lakers, followed by KD and Russ one season before their Finals trip, followed by the Lebron/Wade/Bosh villains.

But more to the point, you stated "20 years..one team..wont see it again IMO."....and that's what I was commenting on. Your cutoff of top 10 player, top 2 ever to do it level seems a bit arbitrary when a top 15 all timer and the 3rd best to ever do it is about to do so also.

Not to mention, Dirk is better than Kobe if your actual goal was to build around a guy and win.

Ok let me back up..what i should have worded it was that 20 years, one team...wont see that out of this younger generation of player.

Also..i didnt put any top 10 restrictions on that in any post im aware of.

Agreed dirk never had nearly the help kb did his whole career, and no question he was and is a freak, revolutionary player to do what he does at his size...

I think some of you guys are just stuck in the moment of his scoring performance in his final game. Kobe should be ranked no higher than #10 on the all time list. LeBron should be ahead of him when you compare each guy's career averages cause LeBron has Kobe beat in every category.

LeBron

PER: 27.7

Rebounds: 7.2

Assists: 6.9

Steals:1.7

Blocks: 0.8

FG%: 49.8

3P%: 34.0

WS: 192.5

Kobe

PER: 22.9

Rebounds: 5.2

Assists: 4.7

Steals: 1.4

Blocks: 0.5

FG%: 44.7

3P%: 32.9

WS: 172.7

I think some of you guys are just stuck in the moment of his scoring performance in his final game. Kobe should be ranked no higher than #10 on the all time list.

Agreed..i have him 12-15.

I think some of you guys are just stuck in the moment of his scoring performance in his final game. Kobe should be ranked no higher than #10 on the all time list. LeBron should be ahead of him when you compare each guy's career averages cause LeBron has Kobe beat in every category.

LeBron

PER: 27.7

Rebounds: 7.2

Assists: 6.9

Steals:1.7

Blocks: 0.8

FG%: 49.8

3P%: 34.0

WS: 192.5

Kobe

PER: 22.9

Rebounds: 5.2

Assists: 4.7

Steals: 1.4

Blocks: 0.5

FG%: 44.7

3P%: 32.9

WS: 172.7

Rings?

/thread

I think if Bron stays on projection(he's already lost a step, even though he has played REALLY well the past couple months), and say wins 1 more ring......I'd reluctantly put Bron over Kobe, maybe. I don't care if he averages 30/10/10 the rest of his career, I am NOT putting Bron with 2 measly rings that he had to join 2 other HOFers to get and only go 2-2 with that team......over Kobe's 5 rings. No respectable NBA fan will do that.

In game, Kobe from minutes 1-45 was a borderline top 20 player. Kobe from minutes 46-48 was a top 2 player of all time. THAT is what sets Kobe apart from a lot of players, the dude was as clutch as you can be. That killer instinct is something we have only seen once in the NBA. Sh1t, in all of sports. That clutch, killer instinct, cold bloodedness of Kobe is something you can't see in the stats, and only MJ has him matched in that category.

2006 East Conf Finals.....Pistons at Heat in Game 6....Heat lead series 3-2

Shaq: 28 points, 16 rebounds, 5 blocks, on 12-14 from the field. Heat win 95-78 over Pistons to advance to first ever NBA Finals. The chances of winning a Game 7 on the Pistons home court weren't very good so if not for Shaq's strong performance in Game 6 on a night when Wade played poorly then the Heat would've never even made the Finals.

Shaq averaged 20 and 10 during this season so he was still an all-star center but not the dominate MVP presence anymore. Wade did have one amazing run in the NBA Finals vs Dallas but it needs to be pointed out that Avery Johnson decided to gear his defense around stopping Shaq after the way he owned Ben Wallace in the previous round. He had more faith in Josh Howard guarding Wade one on one than he did Dampier guarding Shaq one on one. Shaq still averaged a double/double in the 2006 Finals so it's not like he was just along for the ride. He wasn't a shell of himself till those last two seasons.

Shaq missed two dunks?

Also..i didnt put any top 10 restrictions on that in any post im aware of.

You didn't place the restriction. But you implied you meant players of Kobe and Duncan's quality, and that Dirk didn't meet the standards of which you speak.

Well, considering most all time lists are similar to the one ESPN did a few months ago in which they ranked Duncan #8, Kobe #12, and Dirk the #17 greatest player in NBA history, you can see why I would struggle in determining your strange arbitrary cutoff point. :dunno:

That said, I'm just hassling you because of my love for the Tall Baller from the G.

In game, Kobe from minutes 1-45 was a borderline top 20 player. Kobe from minutes 46-48 was a top 2 player of all time. THAT is what sets Kobe apart from a lot of players, the dude was as clutch as you can be.

This is one of the all time great false narratives. The stats are out there everywhere. In fact, it's another stat in which Dirk is near the top for the past 25 years, and Kobe near the bottom amongst guys that qualify with a certain number of "clutch" shot attempts.

But Kobe had the sneer, the handful of moments that resonate, the rep, and the Laker's publicity machine working for him. Don't get me wrong, I love Kobe, but he wasn't very clutch.

I can back this up with tons of stats in a bit, but don't have time at the moment.

You didn't place the restriction. But you implied you meant players of Kobe and Duncan's quality, and that Dirk didn't meet the standards of which you speak.

Well, considering most all time lists are similar to the one ESPN did a few months ago in which they ranked Duncan #8, Kobe #12, and Dirk the #17 greatest player in NBA history, you can see why I would struggle in determining your strange arbitrary cutoff point. :dunno:

That said, I'm just hassling you because of my love for the Tall Baller from the G.

Who doesn't love Dirk? He has to be one of the most likable NBA super-stars of all time, the dude is so chill both on and off the court. I'd put him in the top 20 easily, past that I'd have to think about it. He could crack the top 15, but he is just a notch below Duncan/Shaq/Kobe. It would be close between him and KG, I'd actually probably put Dirk over KG because he has had much better in his later years.

This is one of the all time great false narratives. The stats are out there everywhere. In fact, it's another stat in which Dirk is near the top for the past 25 years, and Kobe near the bottom amongst guys that qualify with a certain number of "clutch" shot attempts.

But Kobe had the sneer, the handful of moments that resonate, the rep, and the Laker's publicity machine working for him. Don't get me wrong, I love Kobe, but he wasn't very clutch.

I can back this up with tons of stats in a bit, but don't have time at the moment.

Clutch shots in big moments? I have seen those stats you're speaking of. If I am not mistaken, Bron is also awful in those clutch situations. Also, again if I am not mistaken, MJ also did not have the best "clutch" stats. I think the biggest reason guys like MJ, Bron, and Kobe have lower percentages in those situations is because they always take the big shots, and more than not, those shots aren't going to go in. But when they do, they are noticed. When they aren't, they are just brushed away.

So, in that respect, you are correct. However, it will be very silly to say Kobe wasn't clutch, no matter any stat.

Yeah i certainly didnt intend or try to imply 10 was some magical cutoff dirk didnt make.

Actually just watched a sweet dirk/mavs video they have on the virtual reality...hes literally hitting jumpers in your face...tour the practice facility...pretty cool stuff

I will :cry: when Timmy and Pop retire.

Timmy's gonna pretty much be retired when they play GS in the WCF. He'll play like 12 minutes/game.

What did the NBA screw the pacers over? The suspensions from the fight? If it is that's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard

:rolleyes: