Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***The Official Seattle Seahawks IN-Season Thread 2014-15***

Was listening to Colin Cowherd of ESPN on Friday and he totally called this game. He actually called for San Diego to merely cover the six point spread, with Seattle winning by one on a late FG, but his reasons for such were spot on. This was only the second time in 11 years San Diego has gotten that many points at home as a dog. You don't give good teams that many points at home. And much ado was made about the short week the Bolts had, and the ten days of rest the Hawks had, but in ten similar games over the last four years the team with the short rest was 6-4. Now that record is 7-4.

Russell Wilson record at home: 16-1

Russell Wilson record on road: 9-8.

Let's start from the top. Congrats to San Diego and their fans. They were the better team yesterday. That's a fact. They outplayed Seattle on offense, defense, and special teams. Philip Rivers was on fire. At one point, I'm looking at the stats, and he's completed 18 of 22, and I'm wondering how he missed on 4 passes. Antonio Gates was making one hand grabs, catching TDs on 3rd and long; our defense's weakness over the years is a big time pass catching TE, and here we are. If you dink and dunk vs Seattle, and they aren't tackling as well as usual, you can sustain long drives if your QB is patient and accurate enough. San Diego was unbelievable in converting 3rd down. San Diego executed a perfect game plan and wanted this game more.

What is disappointing is that this was a classic sandwich game, a road game vs an AFC team, after opening the season as Super Bowl champs in a blow out win, and having a Superbowl rematch on deck. Still, this team doesn't let down much. But San Diego was so good on 3rd downs, they controlled the ball for around 2/3 of the game, which is murder on a defense playing in a heat index approaching 120 degrees. We knew pass rushes were going to get to Wilson, and it did in this game.

Well, it's a loss to an AFC team, so it's not terrible for the home field chase. Did I see that right, SF lost last night? That's big. Congrats to Arizona for being in first place all by themselves, including beating this same San Diego team.

Well, back to work. Denver will be motivated and the Seattle secondary is still injured. This is Denver's first road game, so it should be interesting. I expect Seattle to go to 2-1.

I just don't think Denver's defense is all that great. Meanwhile, I believe Seattle's offense is greatly improved. Seattle got humbled last week against a Chargers team playing a perfect game. I expect Denver to try harder, but is it really going to matter in Seattle? The120 heat index wiped out the Seattle defense by half time last week. The offense played well, but just didn't get the ball enough. Not this week.

Seattle 41

Denver 20

I'm from Denver and there's one thing no one's talking about and that's special teams.

I have a feeling that the story today is Percy Harvin on special teams and Wilson's scrambling. If Denver cannot contain these...its going to be ugly.

Am I hammered? You betcha.

Did I call Denver's final total score? You betcha.

Did I call Seattle's final total score? Umm....let's not talk about that....

Russell Wilson is the Messiah.

We blew a 4 run lead in the 9th inning and got away with it in extra innings.

Justin Britt sucks d!ck, as the replays kept pointing out. Oh, and Paul Richardson is retarded. Nice draft.

Other than that, I'm actually pretty stoked at winning this must win game. I will need time to digest this game and sober up.

And conventional wisdom would dictate that I would root for Arizona to lose this week to the Santa Clara Niners because they were one game up in the standings. Um, no. I'd root for the Niners to lose if their win would put us into the playoffs. I'd root for the Niners to lose if their win would keep my pets and co-workers alive.

Am I hammered? You betcha.

Did I call Denver's final total score? You betcha.

Did I call Seattle's final total score? Umm....let's not talk about that....

Russell Wilson is the Messiah.

We blew a 4 run lead in the 9th inning and got away with it in extra innings.

Justin Britt sucks d!ck, as the replays kept pointing out. Oh, and Paul Richardson is retarded. Nice draft.

Other than that, I'm actually pretty stoked at winning this must win game. I will need time to digest this game and sober up.

And conventional wisdom would dictate that I would root for Arizona to lose this week to the Santa Clara Niners because they were one game up in the standings. Um, no. I'd root for the Niners to lose if their win would put us into the playoffs. I'd root for the Niners to lose if their win would keep my pets and co-workers alive.

Britt's run blocking is pretty stout. But man his pass blocking is gonna get RW killed one of these days.

I think along with RW being very smart, athletic and patient. His greatest attribute could actually be his baseball background. He slides into second base almost every time.

That Richardson catch was sh!t. The announcers were saying good for him, the kid got his first catch. F that!!! He run the route a yard and a half too short. You gotta know where the first down marker is.

Happy Bye Week to y'all. Coming off a start of a season facing Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, and Peyton Manning, and coming out of it 2-1 is very reasonable.

The game that was. Going into that 4th quarter, that game was over. For 7 quarters, we had completely shut down Peyton Manning. Then, a cavalcade of clown shoes. Hauschka actually missed a FG inside the 50. When the fock does that happen? Wilson sacked on the 1 and then Beast Mode more incredibly decides to run sideline to sideline along the goal line and when is the last time he was tackled for a loss? Wilson throws about 2 INTs a year, never in 4th quarters, but gives Denver a short field to punch one in. Then, much like the Chicago game in Wilson's rookie year, a game that is over is given back in the final seconds by inexplicably going into the disastrous prevent defense. We always suck at prevent defense. Yet, here we go again. Much like that Chicago game, tied in the final seconds, Wilson takes the OT kickoff and drives for the TD to end things. Disaster averted. Denver, I give them a lot of credit for their gutty comeback, for their effort, for their better game plan, basically following SF's NFC championship game plan of uglying the game up and trying to win at the end. But for all the offseason moves Denver made to win this game, they just didn't have enough.

The Seattle lack of depth in the secondary due to injury showed up at times. Byron Maxwell was victimized. But we were playing Peyton Manning, who seems to have more zip on the ball than during the Super Bowl. Need to get Jeremy Lane and Tharold Simon back soon. Our secondary got away with some rough play on Denver's WRs. Which is good, because Denver's OL held the fock out of our pass rushers all game long. Our offensive line didn't do particularly well run blocking, as Lynch had a lot of individual effort out there. The pass blocking was terrible, like it is every week. Justin Britt plays worse and worse every week. He follow up penalties with giving up sacks. Will somebody chip block for him for fock's sake? Peyton Manning said after the game that the OT rules are unfair. Wait, the team that wins the coin flip wins the game 52% of the time, they changed the rules a couple of years ago to make it fair, but it's unfair. Cry me a river, Pizza Ass. The league changed the defensive secondary holding rules this year because you can't beat Seattle's secondary. You can't do it again, so you want more rule changed. Fock Peyton Manning. Still, good game, Denver.

Going forward, a long stretch of winnable games approach. Next game will be Monday Night in Washington. Watched a lot of that game this week vs Philadelphia. Um, Washington defense is not good. While Cousins is OK, the Philadelphia defense might be the worst in the NFL, so don't be fooled by his gaudy numbers. I believe Washington had more total yards than Philadelphia by quite a bit, but a kickoff return and turnovers did in Washington. In fact, of all the NFC team out there to challenge Seattle, Philadelphia is the only one I have some concerns about. Their offense is very good. They have no healthy offensive linemen, I mean they had Wade Smith, remember that guy we brought in briefly in the offseason and cut? Philly had him starting at the end of that game this week. And they are just marching up and down the field. You need to really study tape on that offense, because Chip Kelly will score on anybody right now. It's just that the Philly defense will give up 50 points a game. Chip Kelly brought the Pac-10/12 mentality to the NFL. Out fo the next 8 games, I really expect to win 7 of them. If I were to guess where the loss comes, it's the 3rd road game in 4 weeks, at Carolina. That defense is typically good. I expect to hold serve at home, don't fear the NFC East teams, don't fear KC in a regression to the mean year, and St Louis is inconsistent but we beat them on the road last year.

at Washington
Dallas
at St Louis
at Carolina
Oakland
NY Giants
at Chiefs
Arizona

San Fran is on the verge of imploding, which really isn't a huge surprise if you subscribe that teams often take emotional cues from their head coaches. They are bickering big time as they are a somewhat surprisingly 1-2. They are blaming the refs, they are blaming themselves for stupid plays, they are distracted by off field issues, front office issues, their QB continues to struggle, etc. And they have injuries and suspensions and stuff. St Louis is wildly inconsistent, but how do you blow a 21-0 lead at home to Dallas? Arizona is surprising at 3-0, with solid wins over San Diego and San Fran. However, I can't help but wonder about all that talent that defense lost through the off season and injury. And those two big wins came at home. When they start to play quality opponents on the road, we will see. But it's no surprise they are winning close games against good teams. They won 10 games last year and beat us at home.

Happy Bye Week to y'all. Coming off a start of a season facing Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, and Peyton Manning, and coming out of it 2-1 is very reasonable.

The game that was. Going into that 4th quarter, that game was over. For 7 quarters, we had completely shut down Peyton Manning. Then, a cavalcade of clown shoes. Hauschka actually missed a FG inside the 50. When the fock does that happen? Wilson sacked on the 1 and then Beast Mode more incredibly decides to run sideline to sideline along the goal line and when is the last time he was tackled for a loss? Wilson throws about 2 INTs a year, never in 4th quarters, but gives Denver a short field to punch one in. Then, much like the Chicago game in Wilson's rookie year, a game that is over is given back in the final seconds by inexplicably going into the disastrous prevent defense. We always suck at prevent defense. Yet, here we go again. Much like that Chicago game, tied in the final seconds, Wilson takes the OT kickoff and drives for the TD to end things. Disaster averted. Denver, I give them a lot of credit for their gutty comeback, for their effort, for their better game plan, basically following SF's NFC championship game plan of uglying the game up and trying to win at the end. But for all the offseason moves Denver made to win this game, they just didn't have enough.

The Seattle lack of depth in the secondary due to injury showed up at times. Byron Maxwell was victimized. But we were playing Peyton Manning, who seems to have more zip on the ball than during the Super Bowl. Need to get Jeremy Lane and Tharold Simon back soon. Our secondary got away with some rough play on Denver's WRs. Which is good, because Denver's OL held the fock out of our pass rushers all game long. Our offensive line didn't do particularly well run blocking, as Lynch had a lot of individual effort out there. The pass blocking was terrible, like it is every week. Justin Britt plays worse and worse every week. He follow up penalties with giving up sacks. Will somebody chip block for him for fock's sake? Peyton Manning said after the game that the OT rules are unfair. Wait, the team that wins the coin flip wins the game 52% of the time, they changed the rules a couple of years ago to make it fair, but it's unfair. Cry me a river, Pizza Ass. The league changed the defensive secondary holding rules this year because you can't beat Seattle's secondary. You can't do it again, so you want more rule changed. Fock Peyton Manning. Still, good game, Denver.

Going forward, a long stretch of winnable games approach. Next game will be Monday Night in Washington. Watched a lot of that game this week vs Philadelphia. Um, Washington defense is not good. While Cousins is OK, the Philadelphia defense might be the worst in the NFL, so don't be fooled by his gaudy numbers. I believe Washington had more total yards than Philadelphia by quite a bit, but a kickoff return and turnovers did in Washington. In fact, of all the NFC team out there to challenge Seattle, Philadelphia is the only one I have some concerns about. Their offense is very good. They have no healthy offensive linemen, I mean they had Wade Smith, remember that guy we brought in briefly in the offseason and cut? Philly had him starting at the end of that game this week. And they are just marching up and down the field. You need to really study tape on that offense, because Chip Kelly will score on anybody right now. It's just that the Philly defense will give up 50 points a game. Chip Kelly brought the Pac-10/12 mentality to the NFL. Out fo the next 8 games, I really expect to win 7 of them. If I were to guess where the loss comes, it's the 3rd road game in 4 weeks, at Carolina. That defense is typically good. I expect to hold serve at home, don't fear the NFC East teams, don't fear KC in a regression to the mean year, and St Louis is inconsistent but we beat them on the road last year.

at Washington

Dallas

at St Louis

at Carolina

Oakland

NY Giants

at Chiefs

Arizona

San Fran is on the verge of imploding, which really isn't a huge surprise if you subscribe that teams often take emotional cues from their head coaches. They are bickering big time as they are a somewhat surprisingly 1-2. They are blaming the refs, they are blaming themselves for stupid plays, they are distracted by off field issues, front office issues, their QB continues to struggle, etc. And they have injuries and suspensions and stuff. St Louis is wildly inconsistent, but how do you blow a 21-0 lead at home to Dallas? Arizona is surprising at 3-0, with solid wins over San Diego and San Fran. However, I can't help but wonder about all that talent that defense lost through the off season and injury. And those two big wins came at home. When they start to play quality opponents on the road, we will see. But it's no surprise they are winning close games against good teams. They won 10 games last year and beat us at home.

Great writeup, I think I completely agree with every single point.

I hated the Britt pick too, but actually for his first year I don't think he's horable. Sure, he gets beat horably once every game at least. But overall, he's much better then I expected he would be. You have to remember who he was going against vs Denver. There's potential I guess is all I'm saying.

I feel better about our Oline then I did coming into the year. I'll leave it at that. Still the weakest part of our team and when Okung got hurt I was real real worried.

Have to say I was completely wrong about Lockett. He should get some props as I think we all bashed him and gave him no shot. I'm happy he's on our team now. I thought he would be cut, but this guy is really making plays all over the field for us. We are better with having him.

Good game to Denver! They played all out. You can tell we are getting everybody's best against good teams and were holding serve. And poor Maxwell is really getting picked on along with our #3's. But, he's doing good and were holding in against the cream of the crop at QB's.

I agree, we need those nickle corners back. I was very happy to see us shut down the TE for the most part again. I was worried about that after what Gates did to us.

Loved the game. Fun. Don't think I would have loved it had we blown the win though and lost. Denver has improved I think, but also Manning is much better in regular season then playoff's/SB. So this was a big win. Although it was at home. We should have opened it up in the 2nd half and tried to explode the score open more. Didn't like the 2nd half play calling much at all!

But, the O.T. offense play calling was great and perfect! The man Wilson took charge again. Loved that 7-0 stat vs Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers. So amazing.

Go Hawks! :doublethumbsup:

Have to say I was completely wrong about Lockett. He should get some props as I think we all bashed him and gave him no shot. I'm happy he's on our team now. I thought he would be cut, but this guy is really making plays all over the field for us. We are better with having him.

As far as Lockette, I said that I hated his personality and that he was buddies with Kaepernick, but I had been fairly confident that he was going to make the team. He was a stand out special teams player, we had lost Maragos during the off season, and the only guys that could beat him out for the #6 WR spot were Phil Bates and/or Bryan Walters. Well, not only did he make it, we kept 8 WRs to start the season, now 7. I guess he's #4 on the depth chart, if we were to rank them, surely he can't be ahead of Kearse because he can't throw a spiral that sweet.

Seriously, how do the football gods not allow Wilson to score a TD on that trick play? :mad: :mad:

As far as Lockette, I said that I hated his personality and that he was buddies with Kaepernick, but I had been fairly confident that he was going to make the team. He was a stand out special teams player, we had lost Maragos during the off season, and the only guys that could beat him out for the #6 WR spot were Phil Bates and/or Bryan Walters. Well, not only did he make it, we kept 8 WRs to start the season, now 7. I guess he's #4 on the depth chart, if we were to rank them, surely he can't be ahead of Kearse because he can't throw a spiral that sweet.

Seriously, how do the football gods not allow Wilson to score a TD on that trick play? :mad: :mad:

Yeah, that was an awesome play call... To bad Wilson didn't get in. Loved that call. Funny how a bunch of teams did that play.

I was saying: "I thought" Lockette was not going to make the team. Not what you said specifically. I guess I forgot about Special Teams though as that probably would guarantee his spot.

I also thought there was a lot of hate on him, but maybe I got folks hate of the player (personal) mixed up for lack of talent. Either way, he's been very helpfull for us. Nice surprise to me.

Helping at WR as well as a an ace on special teams.

I miss Clemons though! :( I think our pass rush is being effected by him not being there. It freed up Avril on the opposite side so they couldn't both be stopped usually. They squeezed both edges with quick speed. They took turns making pressure plays along with Bennett.

I think Clemons was our biggest loss from last year and somewhat a concern I have. We have a new guy that flashes at times, but seems like he only comes in on 3rd down, where Clemons was an every down player unless for a breather. Just doens't seem the same. I think Clemons was our best rusher actually and alowed big plays for the others. Avril is close to the same, but having both was deadly.

Oh, believe, there is no denying the dislike among the regular posting Seahawk fans in this thread towards Lockette, who has squandered a dozen chances to be a break out star on this team, and even on San Fran, and elsewhere. He has speed and talent, but just never performs up to it. Who knows, maybe he's slowly getting there.

Clemons came off a horrific injury in the Redskins playoff game and by the end of last season was playing great. I haven't seen much of Jax this season, so I have no idea how Clemons and Big Red are doing over there, but I'd agree that Clemons was a significant loss, although his cut was a significant savings on the cap. It's just one of those things. In addition to Bennett and Avril, I've been noticing Schoefield a bit more.

Oh, believe, there is no denying the dislike among the regular posting Seahawk fans in this thread towards Lockette, who has squandered a dozen chances to be a break out star on this team, and even on San Fran, and elsewhere. He has speed and talent, but just never performs up to it. Who knows, maybe he's slowly getting there.

Clemons came off a horrific injury in the Redskins playoff game and by the end of last season was playing great. I haven't seen much of Jax this season, so I have no idea how Clemons and Big Red are doing over there, but I'd agree that Clemons was a significant loss, although his cut was a significant savings on the cap. It's just one of those things. In addition to Bennett and Avril, I've been noticing Schoefield a bit more.

Schoefield was the guy I mentioned in my post (but forgot the name) that has the potential for us... He looks like a beast at times. But, he'll disapear too. Raw I think. I think he's coming in on 3rd downs mostly. I'm counting on him a bit to get more involved though, etc. and take us back to the pressure line we need. Because I think the Clemons loss hurts and I'm not seeing Bennett a whole lot now.

I understand the cost behind letting Clemons go though. Just hurts the most I think.

The injury had no meaning to me. He came back fast and didn't lose a step. Every down player.

These QB's we've faced are smart though. Doing quick passes and see the pressures. So we'll see. They have stepped up when they needed to this year and are still very involved in getting some pressure with only a 4 man rush at times.

Should be a fun year. Funny to see 49ers flopping, so far!

I have had to remind myself a few times that we've faced Rodgers, Rivers and Manning. Whatever doubts I've been feeling about the defense have to be weighed vs the competition at QB they have faced. The next two months will tell a lot about the defense, if they are still the best in the league.

I have no doubt the offense is improved, if no other reasons other than Harvin is around and Wilson is another year mature, and pass the eye test. The pressure on the QB will be there.

We knocked around Manning a bit yesterday, which nobody does. The Denver offensive line held plenty to protect him and the refs swallowed their whistles, which, like I said earlier, balanced out our secondary being physical and grabby with their WRs. The refs almost pre-planned how they were going to allow a good game to unfold. :tinfoilhat:

Everybody in the division is off this week, except San Fran. They will be hosting the Eagles, a game I will be getting broadcast to my area. While you don't want Philly to get out to 4-0 while playing in that weak NFC East in the race for home field in the playoffs, their defense will cost them winnable games throughout the year. Meanwhile, how can you resist rooting for SF to get to 1-3 with many tough games upcoming, with 3 conference losses. Which in turn would make it really tough for them to chase down both Seattle and Arizona. Hey, with just a non conference loss, the 'Hawks can just sit back this week and root for NFC chaos.

Took a quick peek at some cursory statistics.

Seattle is ranked #8 in the NFL in total defense

Seattle is ranked #14 in the NFL in total offense

The most eye popping stat to me thus far is that Seattle is averaging 5.9 yards per play on offense. Only two teams are doing better than 6.1, being Atlanta and Pittsburgh. But Percy Harvin is running his sweeps and stretching out that defensive line so that they can't pack it in on Lynch in the box, and his yard per carry is much healthier this year too.

It's worth noting that of the first 3 Seattle opponents, Green Bay, San Diego, and Denver,

Seattle is ranked higher than each of these opponents in both total defense and total offense. So basically, they've overall outplayed their opponents this year, seemingly thought to be solid teams coming into the season.

Oh, yeah. Ranked in total defense in the NFL:

#6 San Francisco

#7 Arizona

#8 Seattle

#13 St Louis

9'ers seem to be on your mind a lot Philly, justifiably so. They were 1-2 last year also and the media was already writing them off, good luck with that.

Seattle is a coin toss away from being 1-2 as well, so we'll see how this bad boy plays out.

9'ers seem to be on your mind a lot Philly, justifiably so. They were 1-2 last year also and the media was already writing them off, good luck with that.

Seattle is a coin toss away from being 1-2 as well, so we'll see how this bad boy plays out.

:doh: :dunno:

Everybody in the division is off this week, except San Fran. They will be hosting the Eagles, a game I will be getting broadcast to my area. While you don't want Philly to get out to 4-0 while playing in that weak NFC East in the race for home field in the playoffs, their defense will cost them winnable games throughout the year. Meanwhile, how can you resist rooting for SF to get to 1-3 with many tough games upcoming, with 3 conference losses. Which in turn would make it really tough for them to chase down both Seattle and Arizona. Hey, with just a non conference loss, the 'Hawks can just sit back this week and root for NFC chaos.

This is one of those games where I'll just watch them beat the hell out of eachother and just live with the results.

I gotta admit though. A niner loss and we might be a little closer to seeing Harbaughs head exploding during a press conference. Him on the hot seat would be comedic gold.

Classiest organization in football.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/09/28/3404571_from-heath-to-coach-farwell-seahawks.html?rh=1

From Heath to “Coach” Farwell: Seahawks make unique, injured-reserve offer to keep veteran around

RENTON — Heath Farwell figured he was done.

Done with playing for the Seattle Seahawks. Done with playing in the NFL. Just done, ready to go home to Newport Beach, California, where he keeps a beach house with his wife Julie and their sons, 3-year-old Brock and 1-year-old Beau.

That’s because during an exhibition game against Chicago on Aug. 22, the 32-year-old backup linebacker and Seattle’s 2013 special-teams captain raced back into the south end zone of CenturyLink Field to defend a long pass. He leaped for the ball — then heard a pop. He felt searing pain in both his upper legs and collapsed to the turf. He had bilateral core-muscle tears in his groin. His season, and likely his 10-year career, were over. The injury is considered not only career-ending but one that threatens one’s quality of life after football.

The usual custom in the NFL is for a team to pay a player with such a long-term injury and no future a lump-sum payment — an injury settlement, as defined by the league’s collective bargaining agreement. The team waives him as injured, immediately making him a free agent able to sign to play for any other team should he eventually return to health.

Another alternative, the injured-reserve list, is usually for younger players who, unlike Farwell, are under contract with a team beyond the current year.

Farwell has been in the league a decade. Both his groin muscles were shredded. He has no immediate playing future.

“I’m literally still walking,” he said, a month after his injury and surgery. “I mean, I can only do push-ups off my knees right now. That shows you where my rehab’s at.”

So no, there are no long-term plans for him as a Seahawk or for him on any other team.

Yet the Seahawks kept him.

At Farwell’s lowest point, depressed over his career likely ending, coach Pete Carroll walked up to him in the Virginia Mason Athletic Center and asked: “You want to stay and help lead these guys? You had said before you were interested in coaching. This would be a great opportunity to do, to learn.”

Carroll and general manager John Schneider then placed Farwell on injured reserve. That allows Farwell to continue to draw his weekly, in-season salary of $73,529 — one-seventeeth of his veteran pay of $1.25 million. An injury settlement would have given him a fraction of that in a one-time or limited-term payment. He continues to have daily access to the team’s state-of-the-art training facilities and medical staff, assets he would not have had with a settlement.

For the players, it’s impressive. It’s compassionate. And in a league where health and contracts are not guaranteed, it’s unheard of.

“Yeah, that’s something I’ve never heard of a team doing,” Farwell said before Seattle’s bye week ended Sunday night. “It’s pretty cool that they care about me that much, that they want me to be around here. It means a lot to me, it really does.

“I’ve been in this league for 10 years. I’ve talked to many guys, been around this league for a long time. And I’ve never heard of a team doing this for a player.

“They’ve been unbelievable to me.”

This is the kind of behind-the-scenes move that creates long-term loyalty and dedication within the franchise. Each veteran sees what the Seahawks are doing for Farwell and realizes he, too, is one injury away from possibly losing his livelihood — and from being as appreciative of such a gesture as Farwell is right now.

“I was so down, so negative,” said Farwell, who has played in 42 games for the Seahawks over 2½ seasons. “Then Coach Carroll offered this, and it was so positive. There are great positives coming out of it, in the long run.”

For Carroll the idea was simple.

“We didn’t want to lose him. We like him being around here,” Seattle’s fifth-year coach said. “I think he could add his spirit and what he brings to the game could be shared with younger players and it could be very effective.”

Carroll’s been treating Farwell in a special way since he arrived from Minnesota as a free agent in the middle of the 2011 season.

“When he first came here we talked about him being a coach someday,” Carroll said. “So at the time I told him, ‘OK, I’m going to talk to you a little differently than other guys. I’m going to drop stuff on you as we go through it and give you some insights and things as we’re going along.’ So it started kind of down that road, and it’s been in my mind that this could happen.

“I think he’s a natural. He loves the game. ... He’s really a smart football player, savvy guy, has really worked hard to understand the game from a player’s perceptive. Now, he offers younger guys that perspective, as well as what we can instill in him as he’s moving along. He’ll be a great coach.”

To hear Carroll tell it, Farwell already is. Carroll has noticed the rapid improvement on special teams of DeShawn Shead, Derrick Coleman, Mike Morgan and rookies Brock Coyle and Kevin Pierre-Louis.

He credits that to Farwell coaching them from a uniquely fresh players’ perspective. After all, until a month ago Farwell had the jobs they are doing.

I do think that having Heath around is a part of transferring the importance of special teams on to these young guys and how they can approach it and the outlook that it takes to be an effective special-teams guy,” Carroll said. “Heath lives that. He’s been able to convey that to some guys and with these new opportunities.

“This early in the season, they’re already playing better than some of the young guys that will play because they’re not making mistakes and they’re really heady and he’s been a factor there. So we’ve gotten really good play and the transition from the guys that we’ve lost.”

Farwell acknowledges the likelihood his playing career is over.

“Yeah,” he said. “I haven’t explored where I’m at as far as my playing career, but this is definitely the direction I’m headed. It’s just a matter of, is this the beginning stages of my coaching career?

“I’m learning it’s a lot harder to coach ... than you anticipate. I know the cliché is: You can be a great player, but a great player is only as good as his best coaches. I get it. I’m learning to communicate it, because I understand the game. But communicating it is a whole ‘nother deal.”

Farwell did explore the possibility of taking an injury settlement from Seattle and playing for another team later this season. Last month he went to Philadelphia to the Vincera Core Physicians group to see Dr. William Meyers, a renowned expert in core-muscle injuries. Teammates Malcolm Smith and Zach Miller have seen Meyers there.

Meyers found 50 percent tearing in one groin and 25 percent in the other. The surgeon tore the muscle, folded it and re-sewed it — then told Farwell he couldn’t play until perhaps December.

That essentially ended his thoughts of playing in 2014 — and set him up to jump-start his coaching career.

“Yeah, we could have done a settlement. But I didn’t know where I’d be at physically. And I wanted to be a part of this team. That was the key,” Farwell said. “And Coach Carroll and his staff wanted me to be a part of it, too. They said they wanted me around here. And if you do a settlement, you can’t be around here. That was part of it too.

“I didn’t have a desire to go somewhere else,” he said. “So I’m just kind of helping out wherever I can, special teams, sitting in linebacker meetings. It’s been great just being around these guys. This team is special.

“Obviously, I’d rather be playing, rather help this team that way. But if I can’t be doing that, then this is the next best thing.”

So if that leaping play last month against the Bears was his last one in the NFL, he’s content. He’s still contributing to the Super Bowl champions, in the potential start of a new career.

“If it is over, I’m proud of what I’ve done,” he said. “I’ve played 10 years. I’ve been to a Pro Bowl. Won a Super Bowl. If I’m done, I’m done.

“Right now, I’m just focused on helping these guys win.”

• Like 1

Zach Miller out for awhile with a bum ankle. Crap. I reiterate, his presence on the offense is huge for them. He blocks well and makes highlight-reel catches at key times. Helfet is going to have to step up this week, along with Luke Willson.

Monday Night vs Washington

I've become a bit concerned with the passing game. Sure, Russell Wilson is completing a terrific number of passes. But they've been short passes. The Harvin centered offense has allowed defenses to cheat up knowing that the offense wants to get the ball out quickly to Harvin and company to get out in space. Problem is that Wilson throws a great deep ball and this weapon just hasn't been used, admittedly the porous pass blocking doesn't help. Washington has given up plenty of yards vs every opponent this year with the exception of their game vs Jax. They have allowed 5.6, 5.6 and 5.8 yards per play on defense to non Jax teams. Seattle's worst game, they gave up 5.0 ypp on defense to the San Diego Chargers. Eh, after facing the gauntlet of Rodgers, Rivers, and Manning, we get Cousins and his penchant for throwing picks and the soft Washington defense. I like the matchup.

Seattle 34

Washington 14

Monday Night vs Washington

I've become a bit concerned with the passing game. Sure, Russell Wilson is completing a terrific number of passes. But they've been short passes. The Harvin centered offense has allowed defenses to cheat up knowing that the offense wants to get the ball out quickly to Harvin and company to get out in space. Problem is that Wilson throws a great deep ball and this weapon just hasn't been used, admittedly the porous pass blocking doesn't help. Washington has given up plenty of yards vs every opponent this year with the exception of their game vs Jax. They have allowed 5.6, 5.6 and 5.8 yards per play on defense to non Jax teams. Seattle's worst game, they gave up 5.0 ypp on defense to the San Diego Chargers. Eh, after facing the gauntlet of Rodgers, Rivers, and Manning, we get Cousins and his penchant for throwing picks and the soft Washington defense. I like the matchup.

Seattle 34

Washington 14

Eh, not that far off from the final score. If the penalties weren't the headline of this game, the final score is very likely in this ball park.

Quick initial thoughts: Unger left the game with a foot injury. Hoping it's not serious, since Schilling is basically our #3 center. Okung looked like sh!t, and rumors are circulating that he is playing with a tear in his left shoulder labrum, which really hurts when Alvin Bailey is hurt too. Our offensive line is in shambles, again. The pass blocking was sh!t as usual. Our run blocking didn't look all that good tonight either. Lynch doing it after contact, and Wilson running for his life and pulling magic rabbits out of his hats.

All in all, getting a win on the road on Monday is a good thing. It was ugly. Made uglier by the bullsh!t flaggit referees. We all saw it. About half of the penalties were earned, half were blatantly wrong. And just ignoring the blatant penalties that Washington was incurring...a win is a win. Exhale. Breathing into a paper sack.

Jon Ryan is FeetMode. Or something. Needs a nickname. In fact, the entire special teams won this game tonight (Walters, recovering the onside kick, kick coverage), along with Wilson by himself on offense. Lynch gets honorable mention, as does Helfet. Our offense blows. Well, how about inconsistent as fock. How about throwing it deep?

I'm sure I'll have more to b!tch about tomorrow or later in the week. Because winning isn't enough. Although being back in first place is nice.

Seattle vs Dallas

I have a lot of thoughts rattling around in my head, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post them. Maybe I'm just seeing too many negatives. Dallas brings in a great rushing attack, #2 in the league, and Seattle counters with the #1 rushing defense in the league. The signing of Kevin Williams looks pretty darn good right now. I really don't feel good about this game. The 'Hawks are a smidge away from getting sacks but just can't finish the deal, and they are going against a pretty good offensive line. The lack of forcing turnovers is troubling too. However, the Seahawks are significantly improved in scoring offense and have just one turnover on the season. Dallas will put points on the board. On the other hand, Dallas will not keep the 'Hawks off the board either. The game is going to be a war of attrition.

Seattle 28

Dallas 25

Predictions SU: 3-0

Predictions ATS: 3-0

Thru 2 quarters this game is a missed late hit on Romo away from being a blowout.

Thru 2 quarters this game is a missed late hit on Romo away from being a blowout.

I wouldn't say that would've made it a blowout. Hard to say what would've happened if that drive was extended. But it will end up in a blowout if Seattle doesn't figure out how to play at least one of either offense or defense. Pathetic at the moment. Injuries aren't going to make that easier either.

Huge play....Dwayne Harris fumbling a fair catch. Nothing do with anything. Just couldn't catch it.

Fumbled snap could be attributed to crowd, but ....fumbling a fair catch? Dumb. Right before the snap, I said (to guy on phone) "I'm feeling an INT coming here" Well. I was close.

TO.P.: Dallas 30, Hawks 15 (as of start of 4th), and the game is tied.

The score doesn't tell the story here fellas. The Cowboy's defense absolutely dominated the Seattle offense in their house.

Wilson looked below average all day.

The NFC West is wide open.

SUCK IT Seahawks fans. The Cowboys are the best team in the NFL now.

HOW 'BOUT DEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first time during this current Hawks run - they got punched in the mouth and bullied up and down the field. By the 4th quarter Dallas' offensive line was just abusing that front 7 - and the secondary was taking a pounding too. R. Sherman is one sore mofo this morning for sure.

Seattle vs Dallas

I have a lot of thoughts rattling around in my head, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post them. Maybe I'm just seeing too many negatives. Dallas brings in a great rushing attack, #2 in the league, and Seattle counters with the #1 rushing defense in the league. The signing of Kevin Williams looks pretty darn good right now. I really don't feel good about this game. The 'Hawks are a smidge away from getting sacks but just can't finish the deal, and they are going against a pretty good offensive line. The lack of forcing turnovers is troubling too. However, the Seahawks are significantly improved in scoring offense and have just one turnover on the season. Dallas will put points on the board. On the other hand, Dallas will not keep the 'Hawks off the board either. The game is going to be a war of attrition.

Seattle 28

Dallas 25

Predictions SU: 3-0

Predictions ATS: 3-0

Well, I didn't have a good feeling about the game at all. Unfortunately.

Predictions SU: 3-1

Predictions ATS: 4-0

Okung looked like sh!t, and rumors are circulating that he is playing with a tear in his left shoulder labrum, which really hurts when Alvin Bailey is hurt too. Our offensive line is in shambles, again.

....and....Okung does indeed have a torn shoulder labrum. On top of injuries to our CBs #2 through #6, among many others.

Last year, you expected to win every game at the end. It was destiny. Not so much this year. When I get around to it this week, I will have some, well plenty actually, negative thoughts to post.

And kudos to the Cowboys. They are a very solid team this year who played a good game and came up with a key NFC win.

....and....Okung does indeed have a torn shoulder labrum. On top of injuries to our CBs #2 through #6, among many others.

Last year, you expected to win every game at the end. It was destiny. Not so much this year. When I get around to it this week, I will have some, well plenty actually, negative thoughts to post.

And kudos to the Cowboys. They are a very solid team this year who played a good game and came up with a key NFC win.

Yeah, Congrats to Dallas! They played a great game and kicked our butts on both sides of the ball. Both our lines were clearly beat, trashed, and looked over matched on this day.

Like the S.D. game we can't get off the field and allowing 9 min. drives all day. This is killing us. I think it comes down to 2 positions that need fixing and Maxwell injury is going to compound that.

-No pressure on QB this year. Why? Because we lost our best pressure guy in Clemmons. I said this earlier in the year: Clemmons opened up everybody else and especially Avril. Now all they have to do is block Avril with there best pass blocker or hold him a little bit, and were screwed. Bennett is not fast enough and not there every play. Irvin sucks bad. The rest are just not up to snuff. This is killing us. Clemmons is by far hurting us the most this year on Def. We need to move Avril around and figure out who else can get a rush on or step up with design (unique) blitzes.

Our best rush was when we blitzed Wagner.

-Beasly (sp?) sucks. He was getting beat as a 3rd corner every time on 3rd downs in other games and again against Dallas. Maybe he's ok #4, but overall he is not what we are used to on Def and giving up plays. He is the type of guy that lets you catch the ball and then tackles you. No good. If I remember right, he's the one that gave up the 3rd and 20 to T. Williams too even though that was an amazing catch.

Maxwell going down hurt us and will hurt us worse if he's out for a long time. NICE to see Sherman follow Bryant though.

This should be the norm as I think he did very well against Bryant who mostly went to the opposite of Sherman's normal side. I think he did fine against him doing this role. Just because it's new, doesn't mean he shouldn't do it against stud WR teams. (S.F. maybe not, but teams like Detroit, Dallas, etc. yes)

Maxwell was also getting beat sometimes this year trying to cover the top wides in the league, although he's good and did ok. But, overly picked on.

So this will get Sherman more involved in the game (Which we need as a playmaker cause teams are still avoiding him) He can do it clearly. He'll get more props league wide that he wants. This will let Maxwell be more of a playmaker against #2 Wides and an easier day. This will also keep Thomas from having to cheat over where they are killing us in the middle of the field with the slower Chancelor. I think it's time we adjust since teams have to us it appears.

But we really need our other 2 corners back cause the Beesley no good.

Other concerns:

-O-line for sure. We all knew this though. Okung is just sucking. Maybe it's the injury, but he's not right. The Center being out can't help. Z. Miller is missed a lot!

We all knew O-line was our weakest part of our team though so leave it at that.

-Bates - Off Coordinator. He stepped up last year and called some great plays this year. But, there is times he goes into a funk. This was one of those times.

They need to ease up trying to get Harvin involved and instead focus on a well balanced attack. Get Baldwin and Kearse more involved. Little Harvin here and there. But, try running on 2nd down too. Geez. 1st down runs only and right up the middle. Maybe a draw.

Wilson was also in the shot gun every play it seemed like. "BALANCE"

I think the complete rhythem screwed though with our Def on the field the entire 1st half. Like SD game.

OK OK - Just 1 game though. I think we'll bounce back. But, there is some issues we need to fix. (SD & Dallas can lead to a trend. I fear S.F. will be similar if we don't fix)

And draft wise it's already clear what we need:

Pressure DE - (Irvin cut)

Stud TE - (We need a Gronk who blocks and catches - Miller getting hurt a lot now)

And of course lots of Oline help still.

I really thought we were going to crush Dallas being at home. Since when can't we tackle? I'm dissapointed.

Oh well, on to next week! GO HAWKS

They should've ran Lynch at least 25 times.

I could not believe the Hawks stop giving him the ball. 6 yards a pop - Seattle did us a huge favor.

I could not believe the Hawks stop giving him the ball. 6 yards a pop - Seattle did us a huge favor.

Our offensive coordinator, Bevell, is a drooling retard. We've been killing him on a weekly basis for the past 4 seasons. He's about as sharp as a bag of wet cats.

Hopefully an ass-kicking like this at home shakes off any complacency.

And Carroll best be slapping Bevell around. Get back to basics, cut down on the cute, tricky gadget BS. Put Harvin to use more as a traditional receiver.

There is no excuse for Lynch to be getting less than at least 18 carries a game.

And it's great Wilson can make so much happen with his feet, but for the love of god quit backpedaling 20 yards when things break down!!

Hopefully an ass-kicking like this at home shakes off any complacency.

And Carroll best be slapping Bevell around. Get back to basics, cut down on the cute, tricky gadget BS. Put Harvin to use more as a traditional receiver.

There is no excuse for Lynch to be getting less than at least 18 carries a game.

And it's great Wilson can make so much happen with his feet, but for the love of god quit backpedaling 20 yards when things break down!!

That's ironic, as during the game I kept thinking that's a QB with a lot of confidence to get away from defenders. It reminded me of Roger the Dodger Staubach in a way.

That's ironic, as during the game I kept thinking that's a QB with a lot of confidence to get away from defenders. It reminded me of Roger the Dodger Staubach in a way.

High risk/High reward I guess.