Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Ken Norton Jr. from SEA DL to OAK DC

On Friday, it was announced that the Raiders have hired Ken Norton Jr. as their new defensive coordinator. It looks to be a solid move, providing excitement to offset the apprehension and disappointment that seemed to surround the tepid Musgrave OC hire.

Well to say the least....I'm excited. Saw the news and when right to the gym. Damn I was gonna take the day off #nooffseason right

Clare Farnsworth did a good write-up on KNJ for Seahawks.com, about a week before the Super Bowl. It really looks as if the Raider Nation has grounds for optimism in the upcoming season:

"...“I don’t know why people don’t pay more attention to him,” (Bobby) Wagner said. “He’s a great coach. He definitely knows what he’s doing. He’s been here before. So it’s always good to learn from a guy who’s been in the position. He’s the only guy in this league who’s ever won back-to-back-to-back championships. I think that plays a role in why we’re doing what we’re doing, because we have somebody that we can talk to who’s done it.

“And as far as being a coach, he’s just really, really good. He sits there and explains everything to us. And if you look at our linebackers and how they’ve improved from the moment they got here to where they’re at now, it’s night and day. And that’s because of him. It’s not just a business to him. He cares and he wants to see you succeed, probably just as much as you want to see yourself succeed.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Ken-Norton-leads-by-example-for-Seahawks%E2%80%99-linebackers/02945bde-f67a-4388-b003-7c2750292a0f

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2015/02/06/raiders-defensive-coordinator-ken-norton-jr-is-a-familiar-face-with-a-history-of-success/ *

* Update - Jethro Franklin also brought onboard Friday as DL Coach: http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2015/02/06/raiders-new-dl-coach-is-jethro-franklin/#more-24644

Best of luck to both Norton and Quinn. Both guys deserve their respective promotions.

• Like 1

Did great work with Bobby Wagner. Manning won't last forever, and when he goes the division comes back within reach.

Another good coaching move for the Raiders . Now they need to stick to the plain

Did great work with Bobby Wagner. Manning won't last forever, and when he goes the division comes back within reach.

I'm not sure that they need to wait for Manning to step down in order to be competitive in the division. Remember, the Broncos are undergoing some offseason churn, too - and I can't help but believe that Carr* and Mack will be stepping up their game in their second years. It'll be interesting to watch how it all shakes out.

* with (hopefully) O line improvement

I'm not sure that they need to wait for Manning to step down in order to be competitive in the division. Remember, the Broncos are undergoing some offseason churn, too - and I can't help but believe that Carr* and Mack will be stepping up their game in their second years. It'll be interesting to watch how it all shakes out.

* with (hopefully) O line improvement

Raiders have BIG $$$ to spend on free agency. Other than JPP, I don't want any big name guys. I want young up and coming guys who can step up and make a name for themselves in Oakland.

Reggie Mac is center stage right now, and needs a strong draft. We absolutely cannot miss at #4.

Reggie Mac is center stage right now

Okay - that right there makes me nervous again.

Hopefully he's on a short leash these days - with a choke chain. : )

Imagine if they threw huge $$$$ at Suh? With him up front and Norton working with the LB, their scheme could be awesome. It could also be IDP gold.

• Like 1

For those of us in idp leagues. Mack could push Wagner and Kuechly for that top spot.

• Like 1

Imagine if they threw huge $$$$ at Suh? With him up front and Norton working with the LB, their scheme could be awesome. It could also be IDP gold.

It will take huge $$$$ to sign him, but it would likely be money well spent. JPP will come at a far cheaper price though.

For those of us in idp leagues. Mack could push Wagner and Kuechly for that top spot.

This should give IDP leaguers the warm fuzzies:

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2015/2/7/8000161/oakland-raiders-defensive-coordinator-ken-norton-jr-seattle-seahawks-linebackers-study-khalil-mack

"We've been very impressed," Norton said of the Seahawks' opinion of Mack. "One of the things I have with my linebackers at Seattle, we do a great job of looking at other players across the league to see what they do well, see the type of things that I can help coach and just see what's going on. And Khalil Mack is a guy that Bruce Irvin and the rest of my guys on the Sam linebacker side just watched his explosion, his speed, his combination of size and strength, and he's a really smart player and he loves playing ball."

It will take huge $$$$ to sign him, but it would likely be money well spent. JPP will come at a far cheaper price though.

For me personally, JPP is the priority. At 6-5 280, he's no 'edge defender/tweener' but a legit old school defensive end who can not only rush the passer but play the run. I'd rather team him with Terrence Knighton for what it'd cost to sign that maniac Suh.

• Like 1

...aaaaannd Rod Woodson is back. Yeehaw! :D

...Then, in a minor Monday evening release that completed head coach Jack Del Rio’s group, a big name popped up. It’s one you know exceptionally well.

Former Raider and Hall-of-Fame defensive back Rod Woodson has been hired as the team’s assistant secondary coach.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/raiders-announce-coaching-staff-hire-rod-woodson