Sign in to follow this  
weepaws

Good move NFL

Read that the NFL looking at possibly changing the PI to a 15 yard penalty rather than a spot foul . Very good move first one the NFL would hve made in a few years .

If its up for discussion, id prefer some sort of tiered penalty, like running into the kicker vs roughing the kicker. I wouldn't be a fan of seeing a bunch of defensive backs grabbing receivers after the deep ball is in the air just because they got beat over the top. With that said, I hate the current rule. Of the two approaches(college vs NFL), I prefer the college rule.

• Like 1

This would change the 'heave it deep and hope for PI' dynamic.

Aka joe Flacco

Wouldn't this just lead to abusive loopholes? No team could come back with a long pass since all you have to do is commit PI and hold them to 15yd chunks at a time. I'm sure there are more situations.

I hate the current rule! I would be in favor of this rule change actually, even though I hate that the league keeps tinkering and changing things.

I've been saying this rule should be changed for a long long time though IMO.

However, like somebody else said I think they should have a varience on it. If it's deemed "Flagrant" (i.e. tackeling the WR with hopelessness, etc)
Then it should be a spot foul.

But if the play is not easily seen as flagrant, then it should be simply a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down. (Half the distance to the goal)

Basically - Like one of the other posters said. Treat it like the rule for running into the kicker vs flagrant foul on the kicker.

I agree with the rule change regardless though. It's already a judgement call on how much interferance there is and every game and team is rated differently. But, this would at least not kill a team for a TD by placing the ball at the 1 yard line after a 50 yard hailmary. Also, this helps Def more which is needed since so many rules favor offense now days.

I support!

I'd support the change. So often these days it is abundantly clear that a team is just heaving it up and playing for PI more than making an actual focking completion. Yeah, I'm looking at you Baltimore.

The new rule would have it's own downside in that it will often become beneficial to try some PI when there's any chance you're getting beat deep. So there are unintended consequences to watch out for.

Wouldn't this just lead to abusive loopholes? No team could come back with a long pass since all you have to do is commit PI and hold them to 15yd chunks at a time. I'm sure there are more situations.

yup--that was the basis for the spot foul. if a guy gets a step on you, tackle him.

Alex Smith thrown balls become the immediate beneficiary of this rule change.

Given that Smith won't throw the ball more than 7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, quite true.

Still find it amazing that KC didn't complete a TD pass to a WR in this day and age.