Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Check in here if you do not care about Soccer

Don't care. Kids work at a German Biergarten so longer Germany lasts the better tips for them.

That's the level of my interest.

Go Krauts

At least this time there arent thousands of Africans blowing Venezuelans.

Frick that was annoying.

I was eating dinner last night and the TV was on, it was Argentina vs Iceland in the first half with the score tied 1-1. So I was rooting a bit for Iceland but there was no more scoring before the game went to halftime. I finished eating dinner and went upstairs.

How is it that Iceland qualifies for the tournament and the US doesn't? Iceland????

How is it that Iceland qualifies for the tournament and the US doesn't? Iceland????

The short answer is FIFA uses some sort of convoluted system to decide how many teams from each region get in.

Europe gets 14, the Americas get 6, Africa 5, Asia 6 and the host nation is automatically in. So America is fighting for 1 spot to get in with Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, etc. which are all good soccer countries. While Iceland is also fighting against some great nations, but has over 2x the odds of getting a spot.

The short answer is FIFA uses some sort of convoluted system to decide how many teams from each region get in.

Europe gets 14, the Americas get 6, Africa 5, Asia 6 and the host nation is automatically in. So America is fighting for 1 spot to get in with Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, etc. which are all good soccer countries. While Iceland is also fighting against some great nations, but has over 2x the odds of getting a spot.

Thakns. I read they are expanding the qualifiers by 12 teams so that big countries don't get shut out anymore.

Soccer is for girls and boys who cant play other sports.

• Like 1

Part of the reason the US isnt good...is there is still this mentality in this country.

Part of the reason the US isnt good...is there is still this mentality in this country.

because its true. If you are athletic in the us you play a real sport.

because its true. If you are athletic in the us you play a real sport.

I'm more of a cocksmith if you will.

Al Bundy's character on Modern Family absolutely nailed soccer.

Well yeah, if you like watching a swarm of kids chasing a ball while zig-zagging across the field like a broken Roomba.

😂

Favorite line about soccer ever. God bless Al Bundy.

I remember when I was a little Feller and the media would beat us over the head with the idea that in ten years, soccer would be the number one sport in the United States.

Ten years after that, they were telling me that in 10 years a third of the world's population was going to die of AIDS.

Obviously, neither prediction was true.

But I can't help but think they're somehow related.

I remember when I was a little Feller and the media would beat us over the head with the idea that in ten years, soccer would be the number one sport in the United States.

Ten years after that, they were telling me that in 10 years a third of the world's population was going to die of AIDS.

Soccer = the metric system

• Like 1

Soccer = the metric system

To be fair, the metric system is much better than the imperial system.

Soccer isnt better than American football though. Its pretty good when played properly though. Americans just cant seem to figure out how to play correctly. Hell, I love soccer and cant even stomach the MLS. Just a terrible product.

one of the smartest things you've ever said here but somehow still not making the connection :wave:

one of the smartest things you've ever said here but somehow still not making the connection :wave:

You need a tinfoil hat to understand

Soccer isnt better than American football though. Its pretty good when played properly though. Americans just cant seem to figure out how to play correctly. Hell, I love soccer and cant even stomach the MLS. Just a terrible product.

Yeah, the imperial system is stupid.

I just cant seem to get the metric system though. I vaguely know how far one km is, but in terms of distances between cities or something, it means nothing.

Yeah, the imperial system is stupid.

I just cant seem to get the metric system though. I vaguely know how far one km is, but in terms of distances between cities or something, it means nothing.

Is really quite easy. 1 km equals 12 fortnights. Or 17 Stone. Which equals 34 cubits sterling.

Is really quite easy. 1 km equals 12 fortnights. Or 17 Stone. Which equals 34 cubits sterling.

I changed all my map apps over so that I would be forced to think in km instead of miles. Im doing better with distance.

Weight? Fock if I know what a kilogram is. All I know is its more than a pound.

Height? I know my own height in metric. Thats all I got there. Only know that cause people ask me all the focking time.

Liters and mililiters I can handle, thanks to the good folks at the soda and wine industries.

Played for 8 years. Great activity for youth.

The pro game is completely unwatchable for me.

Plus the players are a buch of poosays. FACT

I played semi-pro soccer for a couple years, and I can't even stand to watch the garbage

Seems to me like the indoor variety would be much more entertaining to watch. Smaller field. No out of bounds. More action.

And it's not even close. :thumbsup:

Seems to me like the indoor variety would be much more entertaining to watch. Smaller field. No out of bounds. More action.

thats what I played after HS. Semi-pro indoor in Tijuana

I did grow up watching the most successful sports franchise in all of sports history

the San Diego Soccers

thats what I played after HS. Semi-pro indoor in Tijuana

Did the winning team get to Fock the Donkey after the game ?

Soccer is a cross between hockey and kickball. :P

Even though I'm not a fan, I give it a small thumbs up as a real sport.

NOTHING will ever compare to American Football though.

And it's not even close. :thumbsup:

Maybe it just seems far away in meters. :dunno:

Playing indoor soccer one day a week was the most fun I had in high school. I took weight training and we would do plyometrics on Tues, and indoor soccer on Thurs. I sucked at it but it was still so much fun.

Not into watching outdoor Soccer, but allegedly Sac Republic games are fun. Maybe Sux and I should see if there's any truth to that.

I think our Atlanta United soccer team is good.

Not sure how they can qualify to get into the FIFA.

Soccer players have sexy bodies.

Its just stickless hockey for poor people.

All you need are kids..a dog skull wrapped in paper and you can play. Dont have to be 7 ft tall...bench 350lbs and it is easily accesible to the masses.

• Like 1