• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Djgb13

Djgb13

FF Geek

• Members
  • 18,098 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

Im sure most if not all of you have it. Used to have it when I was in the military but not when I got out. Now that Im 30 Im looking to probably get just a simple plan. Did any of you get any special kind of plan and which did you go with?

#2 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,140 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

I was actually going to start shopping soon. Would like to see some answers

#3 MTSkiBum

MTSkiBum

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,563 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

Company provided.

You don't have kids, do not worry about it.
Steeler's Fan

#4 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,140 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

Company provided.

Yeah, because if digby dies his wife is just going to use it to treat the next guy who pounds her

#5 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,653 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, because if digby dies his wife is just going to use it to treat the next guy who pounds her

Shhhh! I invested too much time into stalking him a couple years ago to NOT be that guy. Don’t ruin this for me!

#6 Djgb13

Djgb13

FF Geek

• Members
  • 18,098 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

That or she dies first and then I use that money to pound the next girl (looking for both us FYI)

#7 MTSkiBum

MTSkiBum

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,563 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

Maybe a small 10-20k policy just to take care of expenses, etc. At your age though any plan that small will be dirt cheap, just call up met life.

We have 2 small kids and have 500k policy for me and a 200k policy for my wife. I hope that along with other assets would be enough for one of our siblings to raise our kids should the unthinkable happen. 

Steeler's Fan

#8 Djgb13

Djgb13

FF Geek

• Members
  • 18,098 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

Maybe a small 10-20k policy just to take care of expenses, etc. At your age though any plan that small will be dirt cheap, just call up met life.

We have 2 small kids and have 500k policy for me and a 200k policy for my wife. I hope that along with other assets would be enough for one of our siblings to raise our kids should the unthinkable happen. 

Thats pretty much all we want. Just something to take care of funeral expenses in case something should happen.

#9 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

So wrong on so many levels.

#10 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,653 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

Doesn’t life insurance always end with murder and a coverup? Hmm, if I kill you I’ll be rich...

#11 MTSkiBum

MTSkiBum

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,563 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

So wrong on so many levels.

How?
Steeler's Fan

#12 MDC

MDC

FF Geek

• Members
  • 52,668 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

You think shes waiting for Digbys death for that?
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

#13 cyclone24

cyclone24

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,120 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

How?

If my wife died I'd want more than $200k to raise my daughter's.

Again it's all what you can afford but my wife and I both have million-dollar policies. Money is just something we don't want them to ever worry about.

(Also someone please have Keith Morrison do my Dateline story when I murdered. Thanks.)
Kid i wish i could buy you at what youre really worth and sell you for what you think youre worth
Mickey Mantle to Joe Pepitone.

#14 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

On thing to remember for young people is what you future liabilities may look like. Kids, mortgage, wife, and so on.

Buy a 20 year level term policy for a minimum of $250,000 WITH the ability to convert at a future date. If for some crazy reason you become uninsurable you will always have this $250,000 of coverage. It can't be taken away from you.

#15 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Company provided.

This, if your spouse has a decent job/earnings.

#16 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

This, if your spouse has a decent job/earnings.

Wrong.

#17 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Wrong.

Its an opinion, just like yours. No need to get all aggro because you’re promoting insurance.

#18 MTSkiBum

MTSkiBum

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,563 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

Wrong.

I previously asked why you thought my opinion was wrong, but you did not answer.  I am open to changing my opinion on this subject, but I currently do not see a need for more life insurance than what I have.

Steeler's Fan

#19 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Its an opinion, just like yours. No need to get all aggro because you’re promoting insurance.

Don't give incorrect information. I don't pretend to Dr.

#20 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

I previously asked why you thought my opinion was wrong, but you did not answer.  I am open to changing my opinion on this subject, but I currently do not see a need for more life insurance than what I have.

He’s a financial advisor or ins salesman. So it is antithetical to his job description to promote anything but fear of financial ruin, however unlikely.

#21 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

You should try it. Web MD makes it pretty effortless.

#22 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,140 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

Stop being a doosh

#23 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Your advice of 10-20,000 was off.

#24 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Stop being a doosh

No kidding. I don’t think anything Mtski or I said was offensive, and a valid argument can be made for our opinion on the matter.

#25 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

Stop being a doosh

I'll tell you what, call you Dentist for advice since ones profession doesn't matter when seeking.

#26 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,140 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

I'll tell you what, call you Dentist for advice since ones profession doesn't matter when seeking.

:cry:

#27 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

No kidding. I don’t think anything Mtski or I said was offensive, and a valid argument can be made for our opinion on the matter.

So now opinion matters. I figured you were all for statistics. Btw, everyone will die and when properly used it stops all the gofundme bull shat.

#28 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

I was actually going to start shopping soon. Would like to see some answers

Here,you go. Life insurance is a waste. Spend it on booze and take a chance. Just promise to pay for your own funeral and Fock your in leu of flowers donate to the kids BS.

Go get em.

#29 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

So now opinion matters. I figured you were all for statistics. Btw, everyone will die and when properly used it stops all the gofundme bull shat.

Give me some stats. I’m interested in proven benefit of life insurance for gainfully employed couples without dependents.

#30 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,140 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Here,you go. Life insurance is a waste. Spend it on booze and take a chance. Just promise to pay for your own funeral and Fock your in leu of flowers donate to the kids BS.

Go get em.

Yeah, all I hear still is :cry:

#31 cyclone24

cyclone24

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,120 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Give me some stats. Im interested in proven benefit of life insurance for gainfully employed couples without dependents.

You need a bunch of stats to tell you that a two-person income will drastically affect your way of living if it goes down to one? With mortgages cars Etc? Really?
Kid i wish i could buy you at what youre really worth and sell you for what you think youre worth

#32 Filthy Fernadez

Filthy Fernadez

FF Geek

• Members
  • 21,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Term $500k on me and $250k on the wife....about $130/month and I'm a non-smoker @ 50 years old

BBC for the most part is pretty damn good.

#33 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

You need a bunch of stats to tell you that a two-person income will drastically affect your way of living if it goes down to one? With mortgages cars Etc? Really?

I didnt say it cant help financially, I said it isnt necessary if both spouses are gainfully employed with no dependents. For me and my wife at least, it wouldnt impact our standard of living at all. Wed be just as well suited to invest the $ elsewhere.

Do you carry full insurance indefinitely on all your vehicles?

#34 Baker Boy

Baker Boy

FF Geek

• Members
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Insurance is a rip off unless you die young, I am not willing to bet anyone I am going to die. All you need to cover expenses is a GoFundMe Page, everyone is doing it. Any children under 18 will get Social Security if you die.

#35 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Give me some stats. I’m interested in proven benefit of life insurance for gainfully employed couples without dependents.

Is the op going to have children? We already know he's going to die.

#36 cyclone24

cyclone24

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,120 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

I didnt say it cant help financially, I said it isnt necessary if both spouses are gainfully employed with no dependents. For me and my wife at least, it wouldnt impact our standard of living at all. Wed be just as well suited to invest the $ elsewhere.

Do you carry full insurance indefinitely on all your vehicles?

Sure I guess. I mean there's no guarantee with wherever you put that money Unlike an insurance policy but sure. Heck you could take the money and play lotto tickets in really have some big winnings.

Don't get me wrong my Dad ran in insurance company and I can't stand insurance but I also don't mind the idea that if I drop dead tomorrow my family and kids are going to be well off and money will never be an issue for them. Not saying you are wrong just saying that wouldn't be my preference.

#37 NorthernVike

NorthernVike

FF Geek

• Members
  • 34,405 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Your advice of 10-20,000 was off.

It is.  You can get a 100,000 term policy at 30 for about the same cost as one of those shitty 10-20,000 death policies. 

I cannot stress enough the importance of taking out the life insurance while you are young and still qualify.  It's not just about the cost.  HTH

Being an ass hole is all part of my manly essence

You guys have no focking clue what happened so you really should just shut it..

#38 NorthernVike

NorthernVike

FF Geek

• Members
  • 34,405 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Insurance is a rip off unless you die young, I am not willing to bet anyone I am going to die. All you need to cover expenses is a GoFundMe Page, everyone is doing it. Any children under 18 will get Social Security if you die.

I'm glad you have no problem with kids trying to live on SS benefits.  They will turn out to be good democrats as they wont have a shoot in hell of making anything of their lives. 

Being an ass hole is all part of my manly essence

You guys have no focking clue what happened so you really should just shut it..

#39 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

Sure I guess. I mean there's no guarantee with wherever you put that money Unlike an insurance policy but sure. Heck you could take the money and play lotto tickets in really have some big winnings.
Don't get me wrong my Dad ran in insurance company and I can't stand insurance but I also don't mind the idea that if I drop dead tomorrow my family and kids are going to be well off and money will never be an issue for them. Not saying you are wrong just saying that wouldn't be my preference.

And I paid out $500,000 to my best friends wife because I had this same discussion BEFORE he had kids and got cancer.

Thank God he chose to spend the $35 a month for a 20 year level term policy when he was 27. He died at 40 and was uninsurable for the last 10years....while his kids were born.

#40 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,291 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

If you have kids/dependents, life insurance makes sense. If youre not sure, err on the side of getting it while young.

Care to answer my question about car insurance? We all take calculated risks, including financial ones.