Sign in to follow this  
heavy-set

What are your favorite books?

Fiction mostly

John D, McDonald - Travis Mcgee novels

Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch books

Also enjoy the Jack Reacher - Lee Child novels.

Best book - Magnificant Creatures about discovery of fossils in the 1800's by an English girl named Mary Anning Fictioalized account of a real person.

Just started my first Lee Child . Hard Way.

Just from reading the first 2 pages, there is no focking way that Tom Cruise should have ever been cast as Reacher.

Also, it's not "Harry Bosch", fucko...It's "Hieronymus Bosch" :wub:

You guys know there's tv, right? :dunno:

And the interwebs....Never forget the interwebs, assmunchkin. :nono:

Holy Monkey

I am currently reading The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie.

Over all i would give it a 7 or out of 10 or so. I would tick it up a notch or two if he wasnt one of those writers that feel the need to put every sound a character makes into quotes.

The knight fell from his horse and hit the ground hard, knocking the wind from his lungs.

"Ooof." said the knight.

There are so many instances of "ooof" and "uh" and all manner of other not word sounds in quotes its semi-ruining the book for me.

John D, McDonald - Travis Mcgee novels

Love me some Travis Mcgee. :thumbsup:

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

They are making a series out of it, will be on Starz in the spring.

Kind of Game of Thrones-ish.

I'm currently reading Neptune's Brood and just finished Saturn's Children by Charles Stross - nice tribute to Heinlien's Friday. Also, his Laundry File series is pretty good.

Looking for a good audio book. I am not finding CDs for some of the suggestions. I would love to find Labyrinths on CD for my long ass drive to PA

Guess ill post some recents.

And the sea will tell

- Probably in my top 5 ever. Brilliant true story, enjoyed the legal angles and trial.

Helter skelter

-another bugluiosi book. Obviously a best seller. Really well done

Lincoln in the Bardo

-Awful. Dont bother. Couldnt wait to be done.

The Life we bury and Heavens may fall

Eskens is the author. Pretty solid whodunit story with same characters in each. Id give them 3 and half middle fingers on a scale of 5.

My Bloody Project

Couldn't finish. Bad.

Currently on A Gentlemen in Moscow

- Can already tell it will be fantastic. Really good writing. Entire book takes place in one hotel, very descriptive, giod character development.

I haven't read in a while. Should I attend some tennis matches to get ready? :)

Im nerd raging and trying to read all 154 books in the star trek universe, 23 down....

Oil and Marble....historical fiction about Da Vinci and Michealangelo.

A Man Called Ove....a personal Top 10er for me.

I may of said this in this here thread.

Count of Monte Crisco all time favorite- hands down best book I ever read.

Oil and Marble....historical fiction about Da Vinci and Michealangelo.

A Man Called Ove....a personal Top 10er for me.

Nice...ive got Ove cued up next. Its on the shelf now waiting.

Nope. An english transcribe of Alexander Dumas original 1844 work.

Focking Awesome Story.

Have to look for that comic though. Also movie totally sucked and missed out on 100's of points from the book.

The Passage by Justin Cronin

- Meh it was okay

11-22-63 by Stephen King

- Couldn't put it down. Loved it.

The first Law Series by Joe Abercrombie

- I read all three books along with one of the stand alone titles from the same world, "The Heroes" Really enjoyed it

Dark Matter, by Blake Crouch

- It was okay but it's pretty clear what's happening early on.

Departure, by A.G. Riddle

- Needed a better editor the story was all over the place too. Would not recommend

Red Rising, by Pierce Brown.

- The story has been done so many times. Kid goes off to school people don't like him he wins in the end. yawn...

Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson

- Super sciency but that's something I like and am really enjoying it. About 2/3rd of the way through.

The Passage by Justin Cronin

- Meh it was okay

11-22-63 by Stephen King

- Couldn't put it down. Loved it.

The first Law Series by Joe Abercrombie

- I read all three books along with one of the stand alone titles from the same world, "The Heroes" Really enjoyed it

Dark Matter, by Blake Crouch

- It was okay but it's pretty clear what's happening early on.

Departure, by A.G. Riddle

- Needed a better editor the story was all over the place too. Would not recommend

Red Rising, by Pierce Brown.

- The story has been done so many times. Kid goes off to school people don't like him he wins in the end. yawn...

Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson

- Super sciency but that's something I like and am really enjoying it. About 2/3rd of the way through.

11/22/63 is fantastic.

Nice...ive got Ove cued up next. Its on the shelf now waiting.

It's next to my bed, but my wife (who already read it) wanted to see the movie so we watched it last night.

Recent reads. Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow", which was a very good fictional account of Russian 20th century history. "Cartel" is the story of the Mexican drug wars.

11/22/63 is fantastic.

Liked that a lot. Decided to tackle the dark tower series. First book is a tough read..after that it's awesome

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

High Fidelity Nick Hornby (movie was terrible)

Child 44, The Secret Speech, Agent 6 (Trilogy) Tom Rob Smith

It's next to my bed, but my wife (who already read it) wanted to see the movie so we watched it last night.

Recent reads. Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow", which was a very good fictional account of Russian 20th century history. "Cartel" is the story of the Mexican drug wars.

Sonofabitch timmy...we are hermanos. Bought that and Ove at the same time. About a third of the way thru Gentlemen in Moscow. Enjoying it.

Sonofabitch timmy...we are hermanos. Bought that and Ove at the same time. About a third of the way thru Gentlemen in Moscow. Enjoying it.

"Gentleman.." gets better and better as it goes. The 1st hundred was slow, but the last 350 flew by. Seeing the film may have ruined Ove, but I'll plow through the 1st 3rd, then see if I want to finish it.

"Gentleman.." gets better and better as it goes. The 1st hundred was slow, but the last 350 flew by. Seeing the film may have ruined Ove, but I'll plow through the 1st 3rd, then see if I want to finish it.

Yeah I saw the movie is on Amazon Prime but I'm going to wait until I read the book first. Good to hear about gentlemen.... writer has done a good job putting you in the hotel in this first part

I don't think I've read 23 books in my entire life, let alone 150+

Very surprised to hear this from you. I know you're an outdoorsperson first and foremost, but what do you do when you're stuck indoors and that little Aegean wife of yours isn't around? :wub: No way you watch TV.

I'd like to read something, but I have a bad memory and would completely forget any type of fiction a week later. I'm thinking maybe something in the motivation/self-help genre. Anybody read something that especially helped them? :thumbsup:

Two that I have read recently that I really like

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology

Two that I have read recently that I really like

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology

One upping sonofabitch. :)

Yeah I saw the movie is on Amazon Prime but I'm going to wait until I read the book first. Good to hear about gentlemen.... writer has done a good job putting you in the hotel in this first part

I read Gentleman as well. Thought it was good but it was a bit too long.

The Last Days of Night is another I just finished. Historical Fiction about Edison, Westinghouse and Tesla. Paints Edison as a complete pos and Tesla as a whack job. Good stuff

Liked that a lot. Decided to tackle the dark tower series. First book is a tough read..after that it's awesome

TDT is one of my favorite series. It's a word mix of old west, sci Fi and even midevil knights of the round table.

I don't think I've read 23 books in my entire life, let alone 150+

Yea I'm Sure it's common for a doctor who had to be in college for 8 years to not have read many books. This is going in my ever growing portfolio of evidence that you are not a doctor.

Yea I'm Sure it's common for a doctor who had to be in college for 8 years to not have read many books. This is going in my ever growing portfolio of evidence that you are not a doctor.

It's not common. People who are well-read are astounded at how little I read. Medical journals and climbing magazines are the only things I read on a regular basis.

Seriously, here is a list all the books I've read in their entirety: Much of the Xanth series (14 books, to be exact), the Apprentice Adept series (4 books), Helter Skelter, and Fast Food Nation. So 20 books cover-to-cover. In school I read the majority of Animal Farm and 1984, and have also read large sections of Omnivore's Dilemma and Under the Banner of Heaven. I probably read some story and puzzle books as a kid, though I can't recall any specifically. That's it.

Yet somehow I was able to do well in school and standardized tests. Probably because problem solving and memory have nothing to do with leisure reading. But why would I lie about not reading?

ETA - I just looked up the Xanth series, and cannot believe it is still going. The last one I read the year of my high school graduation. So to add even more to Tan's incredulity, I have only read two complete books in the last 27 years.

Wifes a doctor...bet she hasn't read 25 books either. Has zero time.

Took her maybe a year to read Devil in the white city.

Very surprised to hear this from you. I know you're an outdoorsperson first and foremost, but what do you do when you're stuck indoors and that little Aegean wife of yours isn't around? :wub: No way you watch TV.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but will watch nature and survival shows. Plus NFL, cycling and tennis. If nothing is good on TV, we play European style boardgames, either in person or on-line (Agricola is my favorite).

But the weather is appropriate for outdoor activity 90+% of the time in HI. It's never cold, and usually the rain is light and short-lived.

Wifes a doctor...bet she hasn't read 25 books either. Has zero time.

Took her maybe a year to read Devil in the white city.

I have plenty of time. Just not into reading. But I'm far more active than any of my peers.

My wife is also a doc, and reads a decent bit.

Flyboys by James Bradley. Will change how you look at the pacific theatre in WW 2