Sign in to follow this  
LOD01

Ellicot City, MD - once in a 1000 years flood

Is this place like New Orleans where some combination of god and science dictates that these cities just shouldn't exist? :dunno:

2 years back it was destroyed by flood. Just got rebuilt.

Just got destroyed again and this one is even worse.

Baltimore is easily the worst city Ive every visited. I think we can do without Maryland.

Be safe though, ghetto geeks.

Disclaimer: Ive never been to St. Louis, and was too young to remember my home town of Detroit.

Is this place like New Orleans where some combination of god and science dictates that these cities just shouldn't exist? :dunno:

More like seriously sh*t luck. Very slow moving storms dumping half a foot of rain in under two hours. New Orleans is more like "Oh hey, you want to populate a coastal area with a high rate of tropical storm exposure that is located below sea level? Good luck with that".

When I hear of Ellicott I think of two young women from there (think both in nursing school) who had recently gone away to school and were visiting home over Christmas break or something. They were sitting on a railroad bridge looking out at the town and a coal train coming through derailed and took them out.

View wise it did look like a great spot to sit.

More like seriously sh*t luck. Very slow moving storms dumping half a foot of rain in under two hours. New Orleans is more like "Oh hey, you want to populate a coastal area with a high rate of tropical storm exposure that is located below sea level? Good luck with that".

:rollseyes: New Orleans and the southern river region has the most intricate drainage system in the world. You should read up on it. On how our levee systems deal with the vast amounts of water volume from the north. The Army Corpse Of Engineering failed not only us, but you as well. Sad how ignorant those are about this problem but pretend to know anything about it, like yourself.

:rollseyes: New Orleans and the southern river region has the most intricate drainage system in the world. You should read up on it. On how our levee systems deal with the vast amounts of water volume from the north. The Army Corpse Of Engineering failed not only us, but you as well. Sad how ignorant those are about this problem but pretend to know anything about it, like yourself.

You need the most intricate drainage system because?

• Like 2

:rollseyes: New Orleans and the southern river region has the most intricate drainage system in the world. You should read up on it.

In related news, the Dutch are laughing their asses off at such an incredibly myopic and just plain stupid assertion.

Good. Effing. Lord.

You need the most intricate drainage system because?

:lol:

When I hear of Ellicott I think of two young women from there (think both in nursing school) who had recently gone away to school and were visiting home over Christmas break or something. They were sitting on a railroad bridge looking out at the town and a coal train coming through derailed and took them out.

View wise it did look like a great spot to sit.

That's where I grew up, and the place you're thinking of is the exact same place it flooded. :thumbsup:

Is this black Maryland or white trash Maryland?

In related news, the Dutch are laughing their asses off at such an incredibly myopic and just plain stupid assertion.

Good. Effing. Lord.

:thumbsup:

That's where I grew up, and the place you're thinking of is the exact same place it flooded. :thumbsup:

Honestly not sure if this is Mookz sarcasm or ...just a fact :D

How did you like growing up there? I'm pretty sure it was around Christmas when those girls were killed as I think I remember seeing the picturesque main town area lit up with Christmas lights. Looks like a quaint place.

Honestly not sure if this is Mookz sarcasm or ...just a fact :D

How did you like growing up there? I'm pretty sure it was around Christmas when those girls were killed as I think I remember seeing the picturesque main town area lit up with Christmas lights. Looks like a quaint place.

It was sincere. :D I was just impressed that you heard of and remembered the story about the girls from years ago and from 3,000 miles away, and then connected it to this story.

Quaint is a good way to describe it. It's called "Historic" Ellicott City, and they try to keep that feel. I never go there much, but have driven through thousands of times. It's one long downhill with stores on both sides (ideal sluice for a flash flood), and the overpass with the train tracks is right at the very bottom of the hill. Someone told me that the two floods happened exactly 666 days apart. :ninja:

• Like 1