Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fock

By mark Manson.

Anyone read this? Im giving it a read, and its one of those bam! Kinda books.

Dime store psychology and self help of a twisted bent I guess. I think the geeks would like it.

A woman that reports to me is currently listening to this on audio book. She seems to like it.

I personally go with the old stand by: Do not mistake my lack of caring for a lack of understanding.

Who gives a fock?

Not me.

Was the subtle enough for you? Meh, don't give a fock.

Why dont you give us a taste? Im intrigued but not going to search it out yet

For decades, weve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Lets be honest, is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Manson doesnt sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it isa dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, lets-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up.

Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited"not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek.

There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives.

For decades, weve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Lets be honest, ###### is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Manson doesnt sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it isa dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, lets-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up.

Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited"not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek.

There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives.

In other words wussy liberal "men"!let the women take over and now there are a bunch of whiney sissies all over the place. Got it.

In other words wussy liberal "men"!let the women take over and now there are a bunch of whiney sissies all over the place. Got it.

No, not really at all.

Basically (and I havent finished it yet) several themes...

That modern middle class American society has completely removed most forms of real pain from our lives. And that pain is necessary to life, as it makes us grow. Most of us live on an unsatisfying treadmill of ignoring our problems, rather than solving them, and numbing ourselves with fleeting pleasure.

That most people chase a picture of happy by looking only at the result. Without looking at the pain and sacrifice required to reach it. That instead of asking yourself what you want, ask what pain you want to endure. Because that is the more pertinent question.

For example, everyone wants money. Few enjoy the 60 hour weeks and uncertainty that comes first. Most want a hot body. Few enjoy the pain of long hours in the gym.

That most people today fall into one of two categories to delude themselves into thinking that it isnt their fault they are successful. One, the narcissist, deluded himself into believing he is successful, despite no accomplishment. And the victim, that blames outside forces for their state.

Anyway, its a humorous read actually. Lots of funny anecdotes and examples from history.

For example...

One guy got kicked out of a band, right before they made it big. He went on to start a new band, determined to Best his old band mates in success.

He worked his ass off, sold 20 million albums worldwide, and was very objectively successful. But he felt like a failure, because his old band was even more so. This guy is Dave Mustane, founder of megadeth. His former band happened to be Metallica.

Another guy gets kicked out of a band right before they made it big. He ended up, after some struggles, concluding that he is happier for it, as he ended up with a large loving family, rather than the attention and fame. He is Pete best, former drummer for the Beatles.

That kind of thing. A lot of it is stuff you see here all the time. Just thought some geeks might enjoy it.

Hmm, I might check it out.

I was kind of hoping for a guide on how to not give a fock without pissing off people who do give a fock and expect you to as well.

Im pretty good at not giving a fock but it turns a lot of people against you. They want to make sure you dont get away with it otherwise theyll feel like fools for giving a fock when perhaps it was unnecessary. They resent it.

Disappointed to see he didn't actually use "fock". <_<

Hmm, I might check it out.

I was kind of hoping for a guide on how to not give a fock without pissing off people who do give a fock and expect you to as well.

Im pretty good at not giving a fock but it turns a lot of people against you. They want to make sure you dont get away with it otherwise theyll feel like fools for giving a fock when perhaps it was unnecessary. They resent it.

In a way it does deal with that. You choose to give a Fock if they resent you.

In a way it does deal with that. You choose to give a Fock if they resent you.

Well if its like your boss or a judge or whatever, it can kind of matter!

Now I guess next level not giving a fock is so what?

Well if its like your boss or a judge or whatever, it can kind of matter!

Now I guess next level not giving a fock is so what?

Its more about taking responsibility for your problems.

If your boss is giving you grief, it may or may not be your fault. But it is your responsibility to deal with it.

Maybe you dont really give a Fock. But maybe you have to pretend more. I dunno.

You've been reading a lot of these self help books lately, or at least you told us you've been trying out the positive thinking, keeping a balance and new age, Bhuddist sounding stuff. And it's worked such that you lost a lot of weight along the way and have a hot girlfriend. Now you've found something that sounds like you like it better since this is the one you care to post about.

You've been reading a lot of these self help books lately, or at least you told us you've been trying out the positive thinking, keeping a balance and new age, Bhuddist sounding stuff. And it's worked such that you lost a lot of weight along the way and have a hot girlfriend. Now you've found something that sounds like you like it better since this is the one you care to post about.

Its kind of a distillation of stuff I had to learn the hard way I guess.

Sounds a little bit like something I've said for many years now. People are trying to change the world so that their kids don't get shattered the minute they hear one mean thing. Seems to me, the better route is to raise kids who are confident and strong enough to not give a f*** what some piece of s*** happens to say or think about them.

Especially when it's anonymous. Who the f*** cares? You'll never see them again. They have absolutely no impact on your life unless you give them that power.

Besides, it's a hell of a lot easier and more practical to try to change your own kids attitude then it is to try to get the world 2 Bow Down to how you think the world should be.

Sounds a little bit like something I've said for many years now. People are trying to change the world so that their kids don't get shattered the minute they hear one mean thing. Seems to me, the better route is to raise kids who are confident and strong enough to not give a f*** what some piece of s*** happens to say or think about them.

Especially when it's anonymous. Who the f*** cares? You'll never see them again. They have absolutely no impact on your life unless you give them that power.

Besides, it's a hell of a lot easier and more practical to try to change your own kids attitude then it is to try to get the world 2 Bow Down to how you think the world should be.

Yeah. Theres a chapter about the cult of self esteem, social media, and how it is making everyone narcissistic, shallow, and miserable.

Yeah. Theres a chapter about the cult of self esteem, social media, and how it is making everyone narcissistic, shallow, and miserable.

You mean like when that size 12 from Modern Family squeezes into size 0 jeans shorts and then b****** moans cries and claps back at people who aren't falling all over themselves to tell her how sexy she looks with her fat shooting out from every possible Gap in the fabric?

You mean like when that size 12 from Modern Family squeezes into size 0 jeans shorts and then b****** moans cries and claps back at people who aren't falling all over themselves to tell her how sexy she looks with her fat shooting out from every possible Gap in the fabric?

More like how the constant stream of everyones (fake) perfect lives makes people feel that there is something wrong with them.

Also a chapter on the tyranny of the exceptional. Basically the premise is that the media in all its forms brings us a constant steam of stories from either end of the bell curve, 24/7. People have gotten to where they would rather be the bottom of the bell curve than average. Because at least the bottom gets talked about. When average and ordinary is all the vast majority of us will ever be.

That kind of stuff.

Understand. That's one of the many things I hate about the Kardashians. I can't believe somebody hasn't started a campaign against them. Kim Kardashian recently bragged about spending 15 hours straight getting her hair bleached Platinum. Of course, it would be by the finest most expensive cosmetologist on the planet I'm sure. Who the f*** is the time or the money for something like that? No way in hell I would let my daughters anywhere near those vapid unrealistic b******.

Regarding the second paragraph, I have actually heard that from other parents before. Amazing. When I was growing up, you just prayed to God that you would blend into the woodwork. Now, you want to be part of a protected class, a bullied group. Freaking amazing.

The literal motto of this generation is 'being part of something special makes you special.' I'm not even making that up.