Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2017 US Open Thread**

Fox has Holly Sonders all dolled up in a skin tight dress, and we get some sausage in a tie to interview the players?

Reason 873 Fox sucks at golf.

USGA should be ashamed. Nothing special at all about the set up for this course. Just another tournament.

:thumbsup:

They need the course to play 8100 yards tomorrow

They need the course to play 8100 yards tomorrow

With the crowned greens and elevation, they could make this a bear at 7200.

But they need to magically Chia Pet about 30 yards of primary rough on these fairways and shrink them down overnight... These guys are bombing it to what looks like airport runways to them - can't give them that kind of room. The diabolical fairway bunkers aren't even a factor, they're just going around them with ease.

With the crowned greens and elevation, they could make this a bear at 7200.

The PGA thinks everyone wants to see bombed drives. Erin Hills 18 just might be the worst hole in tour history. Long hitters tapping in for eagle because the fairway is a mile wide and there is no risk/reward only reward. Shorter hitters can't reach in 2 so there is no strategy at all. On a closing hole. A test of golf equal to who can hit it further on the driving range.

I agree with you that this course could be really special with a true Open set up.

Not a fan of the course. Yeah I think if they changed a couple things and caught firmer conditions it would be better and much lower scores. But even so, not a fan. I don't want to give them a chance by scheduling it again.

Jesus H.............Koepka's arm candy looked good. Cameraman was being a total creeper and wouldn't look elsewhere. :wub:

Koepka was ripping that ball.

Jesus H.............Koepka's arm candy looked good. Cameraman was being a total creeper and wouldn't look elsewhere. :wub:

Koepka was ripping that ball.

Agreed. I tried google imaging her but didn't see the same girl in the pics I found. Perhaps some of you who are better at the interwebs can have more success? :cheers:

I actually gained some respect for rory mcilroy for saying the usga caved and made the course easier. He said the open is supposed to be hardest test of endurance of the majors.

Dang, nice, thanks. Also in your link to a link that shows Fowler dating Allison Stokke. :wub:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2017-rickie-fowlers-girlfriend-allison-stokke-is-pretty-famous-herself

Did anyone else catch this:

Me: did you see that?

Dad: Yeah Kim walked right through Fowler's line.

Me: TWICE!

Us: Fockin Koreans don't give a sh1t!

Well, this was by no means the snooze fest 2003 Open at Olympia Fields - but it damn sure won't crack any top 10's of any US Open favorites.

Erin Hills: Look, I get it. Your story and creation reads like a Shakespearean tragedy, and it is a pretty cool piece of property - but you failed to impress me in in any way. Maybe part of it is that I'm sick and tired of seeing this same style layout for the 3rd straight year, but also - you just kind of didn't hold up to what this championship is supposed to be. Unless they decide to shrink the fairways down to about 30 yards, you're not up to challenging the tour today.

Fox: Dear Gawd, we have what, 7 or so more years of this broadcast train wreck? And seriously, what's up with the focking loop feed of birds chirping???? Not a tree on the property and you'd think they were playing in a bird sanctuary. At least Augusta National has trees all over the place and it somewhat fits - but that was freaking ridiculous, and annoying.

Mike Davis: Oh Mikey, you can't seem to get out of your own way... You were way better at this before you took over the Executive Director role... Speaking of, anyone ever take a look at all the fat at the top of the USGA? Good grief, talk about executive overkill, they have more trumped up positions and moronic titles than the government.

The US Open is just a little more than a week away...for a few of us, it is one of our favorite sports weekends of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to start off the US Open discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties and other possible contenders. Erin Hills is the site of this year's event, so predicting who may or may not contend is a little tricky given few have played it in competition. Nevertheless, here goes:

Top Ten:

1. Alex Noren- Noren has won five times now in the past year...all in Europe, but all impressive nevertheless. The winner of this tournament could be anyone certainly, but I'll choose him by a nose other several other contenders.

2. Brooks Koepka- Picked him to win last year...picking him high again. I think he's a US Open winner before he turns 30.

3. Jon Rahm- Missed cut at Memorial was a blessing in disguise. He'll come to Erin Hills rested and ready. The fact that it's just as new a venue to others as it is to him will also help him.

4. Francesco Molinari- He's Europe's version of Matt Kuchar. Consistent contender who has played very well every time out in 2017.

5. Rickie Fowler- I think Fowler is the favorite to win the PGA this year as he's played great at Quail Hollow in the past, but a win here would surprise no one. His form this year has been terrific.

6. Kevin Kisner- Simply hasn't let up since New Orleans. Few players come into the US Open playing better than Kisner.

7. Jordan Spieth- His game off the tee keeps him out of the top five. Spieth has another gear in majors and I think he'll back-door a top ten in this one. Just won't find the fairway enough to win.

8. Dustin Johnson- Game has been off since hurting his back. Certainly, he's the most talented player in the field along with McIlroy, but both guys come in at less than their best.

9. Bud Cauley- Every top ten for the US Open should include at least one sectional qualifier. Had a tough time choosing between Cauley and Jamie Lovemark. Both have played really well the past two months.

10. Henrik Stenson- His game is a good fit for this course; if only he came in on better form.

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Rory McIlroy, Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, Jason Day, Paul Casey, Hideki Matsuyama, Charl Schwartzel, Louis Oosthuzien, Justin Thomas, Tyrell Hatton.

Players who have shown good form at times throughout the year and could again: Webb Simpson, Jason Dufner, Si-Woo Kim, Daniel Berger, Kevin Chappell, J.B. Holmes, William McGirt, Ryan Moore, Wesley Bryan, B.H. An, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Adam Hadwin, Brian Harman, Russell Henley, Charley Hoffman, Marc Leishman, Pat Perez, Thomas Pieters, Brendan Steele, Bernd Wiesberger.

Highly ranked players who have been inconsistent or below expecations in 2017, but have the talent to win: Martin Kaymer, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Jimmy Walker, Branden Grace, Matt Kuchar, Patrick Reed, Brandt Snedeker, Gary Woodland, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Bill Haas, Lee Westwood.

Darkhorses, but with plenty of game: Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson, Kevin Na, Shane Lowry, Scott Piercy, Daniel Summerhays, Roberto Castro, Emiliano Grillo, Russell Knox, Sean O'Hair, Jhonathan Vegas, Ross Fisher, Tommy Fleetwood, Billy Horschel, Yuta Ikeda, Hideto Tanihara, J.H. Wang.

Other past major winners in the field: Angel Cabrera, Graeme McDowell, Danny Willett, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Keegan Bradley, Stewart Cink.

Sectional Qualifiers Worth Watching: Jamie Lovemark, Steve Stricker, Andrew Johnston, Alexander Levy, Bryson DeChambeau, Martin Laird, David Lingmerth, Jason Kokrak, Brian Stuard.

Hit and miss on this year's US Open. Like most people, a lot of misses. Obviously, I liked Koepka going in and he did not disappoint. I also pegged Fowler's role in the championship almost perfectly. Aside from that stuff, though, plenty of wrong guesses as can be seen. We'll give it another go next month at the British.

Hit and miss on this year's US Open. Like most people, a lot of misses. Obviously, I liked Koepka going in and he did not disappoint. I also pegged Fowler's role in the championship almost perfectly. Aside from that stuff, though, plenty of wrong guesses as can be seen. We'll give it another go next month at the British.

Great call on Koepka............. What made you like him for this, or any Open really?

Great call on Koepka............. What made you like him for this, or any Open really?

I think the US Open has become the major for the young and able. Strong, athletic players who can hit it a mile and still have relatively good short games benefit from the big courses the USGA is using. If you look at who has won the last 10 US Opens, it nearly all younger players. Sure, Jim Furyk has darn near won a couple, kind of like Harman this year, but it's becoming the major for the young.

The British is now the exact opposite, though, which provides a nice contrast. So many of the British winners of the last decade are older- often into their 40s. It's played on courses that require experience and thought. Els, Mickelson, Stenson, Clarke, Zach Johnson- all 40 or nearly 40 when they won. McIlroy was the only expection at Hoylake, but that is the weakest course in the rotation by far.

I think the US Open has become the major for the young and able. Strong, athletic players who can hit it a mile and still have relatively good short games benefit from the big courses the USGA is using.

Yea, for sure of late.. But I think that is prolly more a product of the venues the USGA has gone to recently... Pinehurst, Chambers Bay, Oakmont and now EH - they are all basically wide open, bomb and gunch type launch pads.. Which is a big part of my angst with Mike Davis - he's totally taken the strategic element out of our Open... After next year (which is will prolly be another kid bomber winning) we will start to see it level out... Pebble, Winged Foot, Torrey Pines and The Country Club on the horizons - time to get back to traditional US Open, strategic grinds.

Didn't get to watch hardly any of it. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

I watched none.

Was in vermont golfing myself.

I am closing in on quitting watching all together

Will watch the British because it's on so early

Side bet? :D

I watched none.

Was in vermont golfing myself.

Will watch the British because it's on so early

I usually only watch the 4 majors plus the TPC at Sawgrass for all the drama at 17.

But this year, I've only watched the Masters. Youth baseball and the related drama continue to dominate my time off.

Yea, for sure of late.. But I think that is prolly more a product of the venues the USGA has gone to recently... Pinehurst, Chambers Bay, Oakmont and now EH - they are all basically wide open, bomb and gunch type launch pads.. Which is a big part of my angst with Mike Davis - he's totally taken the strategic element out of our Open... After next year (which is will prolly be another kid bomber winning) we will start to see it level out... Pebble, Winged Foot, Torrey Pines and The Country Club on the horizons - time to get back to traditional US Open, strategic grinds.

I am ready for the change back. I would love to throw in Southern Hills in Tulsa as a good US Open venue again at some point in time. Went to the 2007 PGA there and it was the best sporting event I've ever attended. Incredible course.

I am ready for the change back. I would love to throw in Southern Hills in Tulsa as a good US Open venue again at some point in time. Went to the 2007 PGA there and it was the best sporting event I've ever attended. Incredible course.

Wasn't it like a jillion degrees there that week? Can't imagine that it was too fun

Just give me greens hard enough that the players are griping about it.

Wasn't it like a jillion degrees there that week? Can't imagine that it was too fun

Yes, it was. But, conditions are generally more pleasant in June when a US Open would take place. It was 103 degrees the day we attended (Friday), but it was still awesome.

Big fan of Southern Hills.

I don't remember the heat being too much a player back in the '01 Open.. But I do remember S. Cink throwing up on the 18th green... He 3-putted for double, missing the playoff by 1... Hogan called the famed 12th, one of the best par 4s in championship golf.

Comparing similar courses, I liked Chambers Bay a lot more as I found the differences between holes to be more stark and memorable. After watching 2 full days of golf from Erin Hills, the only hole that I will remember is the 9th. All the other holes seemed to be very similar and none will stand out as being memorable. That is sad for an Open course.

2018 (June 14-17) Shinnecock Hills Golf Club Southampton, N.Y.

2019 (June 13-16) Pebble Beach Golf Links Pebble Beach, Calif.

2020 (June 18-21) Winged Foot Golf Club Mamaroneck, N.Y.

2021 (June 17-20) Torrey Pines Golf Course San Diego, Calif.

2022 (June 16-19) The Country Club Brookline, Mass.

2023 (June 15-18) Los Angeles Country Club Los Angeles, Calif.

2024 (June 13-16) Pinehurst Resort & Country Club Village of Pinehurst, N.C.

Yes, it was. But, conditions are generally more pleasant in June when a US Open would take place. It was 103 degrees the day we attended (Friday), but it was still awesome.

I remember one of the golfers said after he hit his drive into the trees that week, "well, at least it's in the shade" :D

2018 (June 14-17) Shinnecock Hills Golf Club Southampton, N.Y.
2019 (June 13-16) Pebble Beach Golf Links Pebble Beach, Calif.
2020 (June 18-21) Winged Foot Golf Club Mamaroneck, N.Y.
2021 (June 17-20) Torrey Pines Golf Course San Diego, Calif.
2022 (June 16-19) The Country Club Brookline, Mass.
2023 (June 15-18) Los Angeles Country Club Los Angeles, Calif.
2024 (June 13-16) Pinehurst Resort & Country Club Village of Pinehurst, N.C.

This works out great. Assuming I am still living near NYC, I get 3 years of consecutive majors: Shinnecock and Winged Foot in 2018/2020 with the Bethpage Black PGA in 2019. We get a break in 2021, but get Trump National NJ for the PGA in 2022. Add these tourneys to the Barclays, and we have plenty of golf in our area.

Looks like it's back and forth between coasts for nearly a decade then.

In addition to Southern Hills, Oakland Hills has been passed by way too long now as well.. It's been since what, '96 and Steve Jones? We need to get back there for sure.

Fox has Holly Sonders all dolled up in a skin tight dress,

link?