Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Differing points of view...trip to mexico city

So my oldest daughter 17

Dont ask....

One of her teachers (female 34 c)invited her to go on a mission trip to mexico city, for a week. Working with kids in various capacities. Vision clinic, working with little kids in a preschool setting, etc. When I was a senior in high school I went to spain with the Spanish class, so I was like heck yeah, what a cool experience for a kid. Visit another country.. get a passport.. etc. in otherwords a good life learning experience.

My wife had some trepidation. Watching movies like Taken lol and the one with denzel washington where he protects that girl in mexico.

Anyway some our friends and family were on opposite sides. The awesome cool experience types and the No way would I let my kid go to mexico city.

What would you do?

We have known this teacher for several years. Its a small christian school. There would be several other teenagers and adults going.

My thoughts exactly. Im not worried at all, buts its amazing how many people are afraid of her going. Like they are living in fear. Its crazy.

Lata size?

Also, I went in college and had a great time. Ended up banging one of the chick's that went along.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Lata size?

Also, I went in college and had a great time. Ended up banging one of the chick's that went along.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

:first:

One of her teachers (female 34 c)invited her to go on a mission trip to mexico city

This isn't a softball, basketball or volleyball coach is it?

If she gets killed there, you can blame Trump.

Mexico City is the kidnapping capital of the world, so I understand the concern. But Phoenix is #2 on the list, so :dunno:

I will say I have spent some time there and I love it. It would be a good experience for anyone. Maybe my favorite food city in the world.

Mexico City is the kidnapping capital of the world, so I understand the concern. But Phoenix is #2 on the list, so :dunno:

I will say I have spent some time there and I love it. It would be a good experience for anyone. Maybe my favorite food city in the world.

Phoenix numbers are bogus:

Truth behind Phoenix kidnapping statistics

PHOENIX - ***This article provides a history, explanation and guideline to better understand the truth behind Phoenix's 2008 kidnapping statistics. The ABC15 Investigators have been investigating this issue for two-and-a-half years. We've reviewed tens of thousands of pages of documents, court records, internal memos, investigative reports, emails and recordings.***

In 2008, Phoenix claimed it had 358 ransom or border-related kidnappings.

Officials routinely reported the figure to the media and the public. Police and city leaders also cited the statistics twice in testimony before Congress.

Before a Senate subcommittee in 2009, former Mayor Phil Gordon testified , "People are being tortured. People are being kidnapped. Almost every night, Phoenix police will get one or more calls with variations of the same story, 'My wife is being held in a Phoenix drop house and they say they will torture and kill her if we don't pay them thousands of dollars.'"

Police then used Phoenix's infamous designation as a "kidnapping capital" to get millions in federal stimulus funds.

The Phoenix Kidnapping Stats Controversy Begins

An ABC15 investigation in February 2011 exposed major discrepancies in the statistics.

After our story, the city launched an official review and put together a special panel to look into the kidnapping statistics.

The panel would determine that there were actually 668 kidnappings in 2008 – and likely more.

However, panel leaders would admit to ABC15 Investigator Dave Biscobing that they didn't review all of the reports – only samples provided by the city. Instead, their final findings relied solely on an internal audit by Phoenix police.

ABC15 filed a public records request for the initial department report for all of the alleged 668 kidnappings. After more than a year, the police department fulfilled the request.

An ABC15 review of the reports revealed that Phoenix police did not respond to 668 ransom or border-related kidnappings in 2008.

To see a full breakdown of our review go to the interactive graphic at the end of this story.

The reports show Phoenix police investigated up to 82 possible ransom kidnappings.

Some of the most common crimes we found counted as kidnappings in those 668 reports:

- 218 home Invasions or home invasion robberies

- 85 carjackings

- 165 armed robberies

*This includes 43 armed robberies at restaurants and stores.

How Phoenix Police and the Panel Tallied 668 Kidnappings

In Arizona, kidnapping is a broadly classified crime.

According to Arizona Revised Statutes "a person commits kidnapping by knowingly restraining another person with the intent to:

1. Hold the victim for ransom, as a shield or hostage; or

2. Hold the victim for involuntary servitude; or

3. Inflict death, physical injury or a sexual offense on the victim, or to otherwise aid in the commission of a felony; or

4. Place the victim or a third person in reasonable apprehension of imminent physical injury to the victim or the third person; or

5. Interfere with the performance of a governmental or political function; or

6. Seize or exercise control over any airplane, train, bus, ship or other vehicle."

Experts said most violent crimes can be classified as kidnappings. Other large cities could tally thousands of kidnappings if counted this way.

So How Many Ransom, Border-Related Kidnappings Did Phoenix Police Really Handle in 2008?

Again, our review of the initial reports show the number could have been as high as 82.

But ABC15 obtained depositions and internal emails from police officials and federal agents that show they calculated there were approximately 50 ransom or border-related kidnappings investigated by the Phoenix Police Department specialized kidnapping unit.

**The depositions are part of a federal lawsuit filed by Sgt. Phil Robert, who was fired after he blew the whistle about the kidnapping statistics and other alleged misconduct. He sued for wrongful termination and retaliation.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/truth-behind-phoenix-kidnapping-statistics

Absolutely focking not. No way. No how. I mean this when I say this. Over my dead body.im not investing 300k and years of my life for some gang war motherfucker to kill my kid.

Absolutely focking not. No way. No how. I mean this when I say this. Over my dead body.im not investing 300k and years of my life for some gang war motherfucker to kill my kid.

See, I'm the opposite. Sounds like a great life experience. :dunno:

I stand corrected.

No worries, I just don't want people thinking it is dangerous here. This is the safest big city in the US IMO. I just watched a 30 minute news program; 25 minutes is about our heat wave (going to push 120 on Tuesday). Nobody shot, killed, dead in an accident. Typical show. Wife and I laugh at how our news is like you'd see from a city of 60,000. :cheers:

The other five minutes was sports; weekend guy called home plate "home base." I can see why he gets the holiday gig. :lol:

Travel as much/often as you can. She should have a fantastic experience. Gives her a life experience. :thumbsup:

Well she landed yesterday and is having fun. Today they got their assignments and toured the city. Shopping trip etc. the rest of the week they work and minister. So far so good. Shes keeping a journal and has a small camera for scrapbook. Her first text after getting to hotel...omg they drive like maniacs. There are no lanes.. its crazy. Hahaha.

• Like 1

No worries, I just don't want people thinking it is dangerous here. This is the safest big city in the US IMO. I just watched a 30 minute news program; 25 minutes is about our heat wave (going to push 120 on Tuesday). Nobody shot, killed, dead in an accident. Typical show. Wife and I laugh at how our news is like you'd see from a city of 60,000. :cheers:

The other five minutes was sports; weekend guy called home plate "home base." I can see why he gets the holiday gig. :lol:

Ya I saw that number referenced somewhere so I posted it, to kind of say, "if you would let your kid go to Phoenix, then let her go to Mexico City".

Agreed on Phoenix feeling like a very safe city. I lived there for a few years and felt like it was a very safe place.

Speaking of Mexico City, a friend of mine and I were talking about a cool trip.

Have you ever heard of the trans American highway?

Starts way the hell up on the north coast of Alaska near the Canadian border. Goes south, picks up the coast road, hit Vancouver, Seattle, all the way down the pacific coast of Oregon and cali, through Mexico, Central America, cross the canal, down the west side of the Andes through Peru, and ends on the southern tip of Argentina chile.

I wish I had done something like that when I was younger. Would be incredible.

• Like 1

Well she landed yesterday and is having fun. Today they got their assignments and toured the city. Shopping trip etc. the rest of the week they work and minister. So far so good. Shes keeping a journal and has a small camera for scrapbook. Her first text after getting to hotel...omg they drive like maniacs. There are no lanes.. its crazy. Hahaha.

The journal should keep her safe :thumbsup:

Awesome, glad to hear. :cheers:

I went to Mexico City when I was a senior in HS. Met the most beautiful woman ever. Gracialla Guiterrz in Acapulco the year before. She and I talked on the phone. I paid $275 for two dozen roses on Valentine's Day. She truly was the most beautiful woman I ever met. She spoke broken English when Inet her. Within a year, she had it. And she had 38D's

She and her fifty brothers, sisters, and cousins that lived in a house built on a volcano that erupted a while back. The main universities in Mexico City were where she lived were close. As a side note, this was right after the big earthquake they had in 86, I think.

Huge city. A few hours outside the city, they have the Sun& Moon pyramids. Her das was a prominent attorney and archaeologists. We got to tour those pyramids. I kissed her on the Sun pyramid while the sun was going down on a slab at the top of it. That slab is where the sacrifices of virgins were made centuries ago. She was a virgin and I lied to her and told her I was also.

No way I was going to tell her I fingered Sticky Vikki and fawked her good at the Queensrhye concert the weekend before.

We watched the sunset. Made out. Went to a taco place called the Taco Inn.....and drank Bohemia beers whilst bowling. One of the funniest days of my life.

I went to Mexico City when I was a senior in HS. Met the most beautiful woman ever. Gracialla Guiterrz in Acapulco the year before. She and I talked on the phone. I paid $275 for two dozen roses on Valentine's Day. She truly was the most beautiful woman I ever met. She spoke broken English when Inet her. Within a year, she had it. And she had 38D's

She and her fifty brothers, sisters, and cousins that lived in a house built on a volcano that erupted a while back. The main universities in Mexico City were where she lived were close. As a side note, this was right after the big earthquake they had in 86, I think.

Huge city. A few hours outside the city, they have the Sun& Moon pyramids. Her das was a prominent attorney and archaeologists. We got to tour those pyramids. I kissed her on the Sun pyramid while the sun was going down on a slab at the top of it. That slab is where the sacrifices of virgins were made centuries ago. She was a virgin and I lied to her and told her I was also.

No way I was going to tell her I fingered Sticky Vikki and fawked her good at the Queensrhye concert the weekend before.

We watched the sunset. Made out. Went to a taco place called the Taco Inn.....and drank Bohemia beers whilst bowling. One of the funniest days of my life.

so, do you have a Mexican descendant?

so, do you have a Mexican descendant?

I wish.😄 Spent over a grand of my own money to hang out with a senorita I met in Acapulco the year before, knowing I was probably not going to get laid as she was a good Catholic girl. But did it anyway because I was a hopeless romantic.

When a drop dead Mexican, actual Mexican woman hotter than hell says to you, "Johnny, I could fall for you!!!!" You believe it. I'll post a picture of her.

Disclaimer: Had I known I could have had a hooker in Vegas that was just as fine as her 1986, I may have tuned myself better.

The thrill of the chase has fascinated

me more. Watching a hot woman Bowl drunk on cheap Mexican beer with a guy like myself that traveled a few thousand miles to only make out with her and be a romantic knowing I was in Buster Hyman mode... And a small toto not chance to get laid???..That's what life is all about son. Take your chances.

Safety is the most overrated thing on the earth. Can't live a life worth living always worried about safety.

Amen. Surprised more of the bored scaredy cats haven't chimed in.

The Saints are playing a game in England this coming year. One of my great friends is retiring. He planned on going. Made reservations and paid. Told me Friday he's cancelled it. Me: Why? Him: Do you watch the news? Me: Fawking poosay!!!

The Saints are playing a game in England this coming year. One of my great friends is retiring. He planned on going. Made reservations and paid. Told me Friday he's cancelled it. Me: Why? Him: Do you watch the news? Me: Fawking poosay!!!

You should take his tickets and go to the game with a FFToday Geek Club banner. :bandana:

Safety is the most overrated thing on the earth. Can't live a life worth living always worried about safety.

I was joking around. The way he said it made it seem like she was documenting stuff that may be important if she were to go missing, though I know that's not actually what he meant.

Though I was joking, would you let your daughter roam around any Middle Eastern country as a travel abroad experience?

Though I was joking, would you let your daughter roam around any Middle Eastern country as a travel abroad experience?

Here's the thing with travel to sketchy countries I have found.

If you stay on the yellow brick road "tourist zone" you're fine. Even in the ME. My parents said they had a dude with an ak47 following their group around at all times.

It's when you try to score drugs, or go somewhere with that hot chick, that sh!t can go bad in a hurry.

Lol at people who think they are courageous because they partake in activities with almost no risk. Do something that has a significant chance of danger then start patting yourself on the back.

Lol at people who think they are courageous because they partake in activities with almost no risk. Do something that has a significant chance of danger then start patting yourself on the back.

I was a little poosay my whole life. Terrified to talk to girls. Never took the slightest risk. I always hated that about myself.

When i first came here, I decided I had absolutely nothing to lose. So Fock risk.

I partied in mafia bars with the gangsters. I wandered off deep into the backwoods of china with some girl I just met and couldn't speak to. (Later, I read that there was a ring of people busted for kidnapping travelers and harvesting organs).

Life's better that way. And if I die, Fock it, I die. Very few will care.

But you are right. REAL danger? Like not just theoretical danger, but like "run into that gunfight?" Nope. Not gonna happen unless someone I really care about is at stake.

My point is this. We are bombarded with negative stores. The fact is, thousands of tourists go to every country in the world daily. Yeah, some of them end up having some focked up sh!t happen. Most don't.

My mother has been saying she wants to go to Israel and see the holy sites for decades. She's probably been to 40 countries already. I tell her "just go. People do all the time. Hell, your odds of getting shot in Memphis and being blown up in Jerusalem are probably about on par over a small period of time. And if your number comes, you had a good run."

I have been to London years ago, had a great time. But even if my safety was guaranteed I still wouldn't go, for free. Who wants to be in that environment? It changes the people and the city, despite what people say. It hangs over everyone. I spent a few summers in N Ireland during the troubles. Wasn't all that pleasant with soldiers walking through your grandparents land givimg you looks. And that wasn't nearly as bad as this.

I was a little poosay my whole life. Terrified to talk to girls. Never took the slightest risk. I always hated that about myself.

When i first came here, I decided I had absolutely nothing to lose. So Fock risk.

I partied in mafia bars with the gangsters. I wandered off deep into the backwoods of china with some girl I just met and couldn't speak to. (Later, I read that there was a ring of people busted for kidnapping travelers and harvesting organs).

Life's better that way. And if I die, Fock it, I die. Very few will care.

But you are right. REAL danger? Like not just theoretical danger, but like "run into that gunfight?" Nope. Not gonna happen unless someone I really care about is at stake.

My point is this. We are bombarded with negative stores. The fact is, thousands of tourists go to every country in the world daily. Yeah, some of them end up having some focked up sh!t happen. Most don't.

My mother has been saying she wants to go to Israel and see the holy sites for decades. She's probably been to 40 countries already. I tell her "just go. People do all the time. Hell, your odds of getting shot in Memphis and being blown up in Jerusalem are probably about on par over a small period of time. And if your number comes, you had a good run."

That one hot reporter chick who was kidnapped and gang raped for like a year, she had an armed envoy, not just 1 dude. They let Al Qaida or whoever it was take her when they wanted. So hiring some random dude with an AK wouldn't make me feel much better. Plus Mexico is different than the ME. In the ME, they like to rape dudes in the ass to show dominance. Yeah that's fvcked up. I have been to Mexico and felt safe. I stayed in the tourist areas.

Dont think anyone said that. Just not freaking out over safety. Driving to work is likely the most dangerous thing any of us do.

I'd pause if she were traveling to any area with a travel advisory, and do my best to determine the actual risk. But as Titans said, tourist areas are usually OK.

Dont think anyone said that. Just not freaking out over safety. Driving to work is likely the most dangerous thing any of us do.

Yet someone not wanting go to London due to terrorism concerns is living in fear, according to the brave men around here. And being conceded about terrorism in the US is irrational because of bathtubs.

That one hot reporter chick who was kidnapped and gang raped for like a year, she had an armed envoy, not just 1 dude. They let Al Qaida or whoever it was take her when they wanted. So hiring some random dude with an AK wouldn't make me feel much better. Plus Mexico is different than the ME. In the ME, they like to rape dudes in the ass to show dominance. Yeah that's fvcked up. I have been to Mexico and felt safe. I stayed in the tourist areas.

Sure. You gotta weigh your risks.

There are only a handful of countries i absolutely will not go to. Off the top of my head...

North Korea

Iran

Syria

Afghanistan

Iraq

Pakistan

Maybe some African places like Sudan and Somalia.

Probably avoid Venezuela for the time being.

Most of those I'd feel fine with going. It's just that If you happen to be there when there is an incident between us and them, you're focked.