Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Differing points of view...trip to mexico city

Lol at people who think they are courageous because they partake in activities with almost no risk. Do something that has a significant chance of danger then start patting yourself on the back.

But since you mentioned it, what constitutes something with "significant" danger? Not something you'd only experience as military or LEO.

Sure. You gotta weigh your risks.

There are only a handful of countries i absolutely will not go to. Off the top of my head...

North Korea

Iran

Syria

Afghanistan

Iraq

Pakistan

Maybe some African places like Sudan and Somalia.

Probably avoid Venezuela for the time being.

Most of those I'd feel fine with going. It's just that If you happen to be there when there is an incident between us and them, you're focked.

Papau New Guinea? They would cook you up nice.

But since you mentioned it, what constitutes something with "significant" danger? Not something you'd only experience as military or LEO.

Willingly doing something for the greater good knowing there is a real chance you could get

Seriously hurt or killed. It doesn't happen to often even for first responders, let alone average joes. But calling others cowardly is implying that you're doing something brave by going about your life. You're not. Move those odds in the other more dangerous direction and then see if you're willing to be so "brave".

I grew up in Detroit. How bad can any of these other places be? The thing that would give me pause is that normally my biggest piece of advice would be to avoid the obviously treacherous places. In this case it sounds like she will be going to the treacherous places as part of the mission work. :dunno:

Stay with the group, don't wear anything fancy (all the way down to gym shoes), and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Yet someone not wanting go to London due to terrorism concerns is living in fear, according to the brave men around here. And being conceded about terrorism in the US is irrational because of bathtubs.

I think your risk of being involved in a terrorist event here or London are incredibly small. Not saying you should be oblivious to what's going on the world, but those examples do qualify as living in fear IMO.

Willingly doing something for the greater good knowing there is a real chance you could get

Seriously hurt or killed. It doesn't happen to often even for first responders, let alone average joes. But calling others cowardly is implying that you're doing something brave by going about your life. You're not. Move those odds in the other more dangerous direction and then see if you're willing to be so "brave".

Ill never know unless placed in such a situation. But traveling to Mexico City is not such a heroic endeavor.

Ill never know unless placed in such a situation. But traveling to Mexico City is not such a heroic endeavor.

My daughter wouldn't be going. Plenty of needy people right here in the USA.

My daughter wouldn't be going. Plenty of needy people right here in the USA.

That's true, but the cultural experience is also worth something. Mexico isn't some war zone - I say this after traveling to Monterrey and surrounding countryside, which are arguably more dangerous that Mexico City. Not saying I was brave, but you or your daughter will miss out on many life experiences if your threshold for "danger" is so low.

That's true, but the cultural experience is also worth something. Mexico isn't some war zone - I say this after traveling to Monterrey and surrounding countryside, which are arguably more dangerous that Mexico City. Not saying I was brave, but you or your daughter will miss out on many life experiences if your threshold for "danger" is so low.

Been all around the world, and other cultures didn't impress me much.

America is about as good as it gets. Europe had it going on for a while, but they gave way their culture to merge with an inferior, dangerous one. Kids can do what they want when they grow up.

Sure. You gotta weigh your risks.

There are only a handful of countries i absolutely will not go to. Off the top of my head...

North Korea

Iran

Syria

Afghanistan

Iraq

Pakistan

Maybe some African places like Sudan and Somalia.

Probably avoid Venezuela for the time being.

Most of those I'd feel fine with going. It's just that If you happen to be there when there is an incident between us and them, you're focked.

Some parts of chicago need to be on that list