Sign in to follow this  
Matts Eagles

Where will the Free Agents land?

I don't think it's that crazy for Denver to make a play for Cousins even if he is franchised, and I think it would make sense for Cousins too.

Considering what teams gave up for Goff and Wentz this year, is the franchise trade quota of 2 firsts really that much worse for getting a known commodity? Maybe Den can even barter it down a bit or include Lynch; the Vikes got KC to lower the franchise price on Jared Allen to a first and a 3rd. That's still a win/win for both teams.

Plus Den has all the makings to be a very good offense that can play to his strengths, they just don't have the QB to execute yet.

I know trades involving franchised players are becoming rarer and rarer after some teams have gotten burned, but this could be the one that makes sense.

I dont think Denver has the cap room. someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have very little cap space.

I dont think Denver has the cap room. someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have very little cap space.

yeah I don't know the details but there's ways to work within those. They could give him for instance a $20 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal but have zero base in year one; then spread the cap hit equally over those 5 years so it's only a $4 million cap hit year one. Then his cap number increases over the next few years as some of their expensive vets fall off the books.

Considering the ingenious finesse job that Elway and the Broncs did with the cap over the past few years to build that defense while still having Peyton on the books, I'm confident that if anyone could pull it off, it would be them.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Alshon Jeffery- Dallas

Terrance Williams- Dallas

lolno.

there's an outside chance that twill stays, but only if he takes a very team-friendly deal. DAL is going to want to spend its FA dollars on defense, so they're going to draw a very hard line and williams will be welcome to walk if he doesn't want it. remember, this is the same team that offered the league rushing champion $6mil per year. that's less than sanu makes. williams isn't even going to sniff that figure.

lolno.

there's an outside chance that twill stays, but only if he takes a very team-friendly deal. DAL is going to want to spend its FA dollars on defense, so they're going to draw a very hard line and williams will be welcome to walk if he doesn't want it. remember, this is the same team that offered the league rushing champion $6mil per year. that's less than sanu makes. williams isn't even going to sniff that figure.

If Dallas offers more than the league minimum then they are wasting money on Williams. Jeffery would be a poor fit. He would be hurt half the year making WR1 money. Then Dez hurt the other half...

If Dallas offers more than the league minimum then they are wasting money on Williams.

silliness.

the guy averages 44/700/5 as the 4th (now 5th) option in the scheme--far better than sanu, who currently makes $6.5M. he can get deep and he's good at RAC. i'd be absolutely fine with paying him somewhere around $3M, but he'll probably get closer to 5 on the open market.

silliness.

the guy averages 44/700/5 as the 4th (now 5th) option in the scheme--far better than sanu, who currently makes $6.5M. he can get deep and he's good at RAC. i'd be absolutely fine with paying him somewhere around $3M, but he'll probably get closer to 5 on the open market.

I think most any schmuck could have done the same. Up until this year he had been the true #2 receiver. He is a complete JAG. When there is a hard cap you don't pay guys $5 mill a year as a contender when you can find someone else to do just as good for a lot less. I would sign Andre Holmes in a heartbeat, or just let Bruce Butler take his place. Both are cheaper

yeah I don't know the details but there's ways to work within those. They could give him for instance a $20 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal but have zero base in year one; then spread the cap hit equally over those 5 years so it's only a $4 million cap hit year one. Then his cap number increases over the next few years as some of their expensive vets fall off the books.

Considering the ingenious finesse job that Elway and the Broncs did with the cap over the past few years to build that defense while still having Peyton on the books, I'm confident that if anyone could pull it off, it would be them.

I dunno... I figure it takes at least 20 mil to sign him. I honestly dont think he is truly worth the money. and 20 mil is a LOT of salary cap space to make room for. Even if you write a long term, team friendly deal (which they cant do if they wanna make sure Washington doesn't match)

I seriously don't see it happening.

I think he's worthy of the money.

The Broncos are a good Qb away from being a playoff team.

They should try hard to pick him up IMO.

You match him up with Thomas and Sanders.

And with a Qb of his caliber I would bet the run game would be more productive also.

It's also just the move that the Broncos def needs to make this team once again a serious contender.

I think most any schmuck could have done the same. Up until this year he had been the true #2 receiver. He is a complete JAG. When there is a hard cap you don't pay guys $5 mill a year as a contender when you can find someone else to do just as good for a lot less. I would sign Andre Holmes in a heartbeat, or just let Bruce Butler take his place. Both are cheaper

Williams has been completely unreliable for years, so this is the only decision that makes sense.

We will surely draft some late round WRs as well to compete with the Holmes/Butlers of the world. Someone will emerge from that costing far less and with very similar production.

I think he would be also.

I also think the Colts.

I don't think Belichick would put up with Jeffery practicing away from the team in the off season and not being on the field half the year because he doesn't train properly

i was kidding, guys. the running joke over at fbg is that EVERY free agent is a good fit for the pats.

• Like 1

I can name 2 options on their roster & plenty more that will be available that I'd rather have than Doug Martin. The quicker they wash their hands of him, the better for their franchise. He ran hard in 2015 for a paycheck, get out while you can Tampa!

You can name 2 players on their roster, but not 2 that are better options. Sims stinks and Rodgers is a free agent. Tampa isn't going to re-sign Rodgers to be their main ball carrier. While I agree that Martin ran hard for the contract, he's still a decent back. Also, if Martin is the kind of guy to "run for the contract" (which I believe by the way), then 2017 is one of those kind of years. If he wants to see the other $21M of that contract after the 2017, he'll run for it. That said, if they draft a RB in April in the 2nd or 3rd round, I think they flat out cut Martin and don't look back.

You can name 2 players on their roster, but not 2 that are better options. Sims stinks and Rodgers is a free agent. Tampa isn't going to re-sign Rodgers to be their main ball carrier. While I agree that Martin ran hard for the contract, he's still a decent back. Also, if Martin is the kind of guy to "run for the contract" (which I believe by the way), then 2017 is one of those kind of years. If he wants to see the other $21M of that contract after the 2017, he'll run for it. That said, if they draft a RB in April in the 2nd or 3rd round, I think they flat out cut Martin and don't look back.

Dude turns 28 Friday, injury prone, facing suspension and only has 2 solid seasons...there's no way a smart franchise would give him a chance to get 21 million next offseason.

lolno.

Money won't be an issue for the Cowboys. If they want certaom players, they'll create the space.

Dude turns 28 Friday, injury prone, facing suspension and only has 2 solid seasons...there's no way a smart franchise would give him a chance to get 21 million next offseason.

That $21M is spread over the 2018, 19, and 20 seasons, not next off season. I said that was Martin's motivation for playing hard in 2017, not the teams' reason for wanting to keep him. The Buccaneers have a lot of needs to address on the OLine and DLine, as well as WR, that are higher priorities than RB. If Martin is able to play, I think the Bucs bring him back for 2017. They like him. They'll keep him if a better option doesn't present itself. I don't see the team using a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, round draft pick on a RB. That said, we already know that they are NOT a "smart franchise"... they traded a 3rd and 4th round pick to draft a mediocre kicker in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

i think jeffery would be a good fit with tom brady and the patriots.

I don't see any reason why Bellichick would want Jeffery.

I don't see any reason why Bellichick would want Jeffery.

He's never been afraid to take on a reclamation project (Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, right up to Michael Floyd). If the price is right.

I would like to see Jeffery end up in Cincinnati opposite AJ Green. Pipe dream most likely but that offense would be tough.

• Like 1

He's never been afraid to take on a reclamation project (Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, right up to Michael Floyd). If the price is right.

I don't think those 4 are good comparisons. Johnson was done, Moss was still good, Dillon was still great, Floyd can't play. Jeffery is good, but always hurt and will still want to get paid. I just don't see the fit. It could happen, I won't say it can't... I just don't see it. I see him going to the higher bidder, not the better team. I don't think the Patriots will be the higher bidder. I can see a scenario that San Diego would be the highest bidder.

If there a coach in the NFL that would take on the Jeffery challenge it's good ol Bellichick.

He picked up mr Floyd right after he was released from the Cardinals right after he had a dui.

He likes to show others he's simply better.

If there a coach in the NFL that would take on the Jeffery challenge it's good ol Bellichick.

He picked up mr Floyd right after he was released from the Cardinals right after he had a dui.

He likes to show others he's simply better.

yeah but that was for a flyer for under a million dollars pro-rated for the rest of the season. plus they'd still get a compensatory pick for him if it doesn't work out and they don't re-sign him this offseason. very little risk.

hardly comparable to Jeffrey, who'd they have to guarantee a lot of money and years to in order to lure him to NE.

• Like 1

yeah but that was for a flyer for under a million dollars pro-rated for the rest of the season. plus they'd still get a compensatory pick for him if it doesn't work out and they don't re-sign him this offseason.

hardly comparable to Jeffrey, who'd they have to guarantee a lot of money and years to in order to lure him to NE.

Exactly.

I don't think those 4 are good comparisons. Johnson was done, Moss was still good, Dillon was still great, Floyd can't play. Jeffery is good, but always hurt and will still want to get paid. I just don't see the fit. It could happen, I won't say it can't... I just don't see it. I see him going to the higher bidder, not the better team. I don't think the Patriots will be the higher bidder. I can see a scenario that San Diego would be the highest bidder.

I don't think he'll end up in NE either. But that's a BIG difference from "I don't see any reason why Bellichick would want Jeffery."

I don't think he'll end up in NE either. But that's a BIG difference from "I don't see any reason why Bellichick would want Jeffery."

How's this then... I don't see any reason why Bellichick would want Jeffery at what I believe will be Jeffery's asking price.

I don't disagree.

I don't see the Pats going after him either , but I'm sure that Bill would take on the challenge.

I think he could end up with the Rams.

Beat writer expects Bucs to dump Doug Martin https://t.co/o7heGzWhgI

I think it just makes too much sense not to; he's not a $7 million RB and you got an out of the contract from his failed drug test.

Might as well take advantage of that, even if just to re-sign him to a lesser, more incentive laden replacement deal.

Although that article did sound like move on entirely, move on.

Hard to tell what's going to take place.

But like the poster above said, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Nothing would surprise me, but I still think the Bucs keep him for at least 1 more season. Stroud said "I don’t think Martin is going to be part of their plans, short- or long-term, in my opinion. That’s just me." He's right... it is just him. Less than 12 months ago, Martin certainly was a part of the Bucs short and long term plans, that's why they gave him a long term contract. Yes, Martin has been injured often, but when he isn't, he's an elite back. In his 2 healthy seasons, he's amassed about 3600 yards and 19 TD's. That's someone you definitely want on your team and why the Bucs gave him that deal. If the Bucs let Martin go, it'll be after the draft. They're not going to go into the draft knowing they need to fill the RB position. If one falls to them in the 3rd or 4th round that they fell good about, then yeah, they'll probably dump Martin. Otherwise, I think they keep him.

Your right about his production when he's healthy.

I haven't looked but is there any FA that might be worthy of a pick up if they do let him go?

And I think his suspension might make the team less hesitate to move him, you being a Bucs fan Would know more about that situation then I do.

I haven't looked but is there any FA that might be worthy of a pick up if they do let him go?

And I think his suspension might make the team less hesitate to move him, you being a Bucs fan Would know more about that situation then I do.

Latavius Murray...of course he just played his tail off in a contract year.

Latavius Murray...of course he just played his tail off in a contract year.

Raiders will let Slats test the market.

Nope. He is gonna get tagged again no matter what happened. Big contract or tag but he's here another year.

There is a scenario where Cousins goes to SF to hook up with Kyle Shanahan, Skins get Kap and 1st rounder. While it's highly unlikely, it's the most likely if Cousins does not get tagged.

First off, you can't give a veteran a $0 base salary. You at least have to pay him over $1m.

Secondly, why would Cousins do that? The tag number is $24m for the first year. So, if you are him, you are starting discussions at making $30m guaranteed in the first year (if his agent has half a brain).

The Broncos has some other spots to fill on the line and they have some guys to resign on the defense with $36-40m in cap space. It is not necessarily a cap space issue, but if you pay big for a QB, then it will impact you in other areas and Cousins is not a guy that you want to mortgage your future for.

I also think Glennon may get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere.

First off, you can't give a veteran a $0 base salary. You at least have to pay him over $1m.

Secondly, why would Cousins do that? The tag number is $24m for the first year. So, if you are him, you are starting discussions at making $30m guaranteed in the first year (if his agent has half a brain).

The Broncos has some other spots to fill on the line and they have some guys to resign on the defense with $36-40m in cap space. It is not necessarily a cap space issue, but if you pay big for a QB, then it will impact you in other areas and Cousins is not a guy that you want to mortgage your future for.

I'm not a cap expert, so if it's a minimum $1 million base, then make that his base then I guess. Wouldn't change that much from my base idea.

And the "why" for Cousins to do that is he wants the long term deal from everything I'm hearing, so perhaps they guarantee him $45 million-$50 million, which gives him insurance against taking the $24 million franchise number again and potentially getting hurt. Most players don't seem to want to play under the franchise 1 year tender (let alone for 2 years) even if it's more money in that first year and would trade that for more long term security; and this would be presuming of course that Cousins just doesn't want to re-sign in Wash long term anyway.

And the "why" for Den would be they can't seem to win with what they've got. You're right that they have other needs on both the o-line and defense, but they can't win with what they have at the QB position, so all the other moves are for naught if they still go into the year with Lynch and Siemian as the guys. Considering Elway before was able to bring in Talib, Ward, Ware, E Sanders, and re-sign Chris Harris all while still having Peyton's huge contract on the books, then if anyone was going to find a way to work around the cap for a deal like Cousins (whether he deserves it or not) you'd think Elway would be able to.

To be honest, this was really just a spit ball idea back when this discussion was going on, so I didn't put a ton of thought into it. Just saying "could" be a possibility if Cousins was really adamant about leaving, that's all.

One thing that was proven in Tampa this year is that Charles Sims is nothing more than a complimentary piece and will never be anything more. A word of advice to any keeper or dynasty people here... trade him if you got him if there's someone in your league who likes him. With that being the case, they're going to want a guy to be "the guy" and not someone like Latavius Murray who is "a guy". There's actually a lot a FA RB's this year...

Chris Johnson
Christine Michael
Danny Woodhead
Darren McFadden
DeAngelo Williams
Denard Robinson
Dexter McCluster
Eddie Lacy
Jacquizz Rodgers
Joique Bell
Jordan Todman
Justin Forsett
Knile Davis
Latavius Murray
LeGarrette Blount
Le'Veon Bell
Matt Asiata
Reggie Bush

... so there is plenty of reason to let Martin walk - especially if you look at the draft and the boatload of kids entering the league. But as I said, the Bucs are going to want an every down back. I don't think anyone on that list, aside from Bell who will re-sign with Pittsburgh, falls into that category. As I said before, anything can happen, but at this point in time, I don't think there are plans to cut him loose. It will all depend on where the chips fall in free agency, the draft, and any suspension. Stroud's comments are baseless in my opinion. The Bucs knew all the info there was to know on Martin and they still gave him a 4-year deal. They absolutely believed in him for the long-term and short-term. If they didn't believe in him, they wouldn't have guaranteed the second year of the deal and would have back-loaded the contract... they didn't, they front-loaded it.