Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Sony Michel, Patriots

The last time New England selected a running back in the first round was 2006 (Laurence Maroney). For a team who utilizes the backfield committee perhaps more than any other team (and for a prospect who reportedly has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee that scared some potential suitors), the selection of Michel is a big wow. On the surface, the Patriots need a replacement for Dion Lewis and Michel certainly should be able to do that although he is more of a powerful runner than a make-you-miss one. At the very least, he is every bit as explosive. Michel often gets compared to Alvin Kamara, but his initial burst and powerful running style makes him more like Kareem Hunt. Even though the Patriots spent a fair amount of draft capital to land him, fantasy owners can assume (probably justifiably) Michel will get thrown into New England's three-or four-man committee backfield. Maybe he ends up taking over the role the Patriots wanted Mike Gillislee to fill last year, but New England is a poor landing spot for Michel for fantasy purposes because of the team's RBBC approach, making him a flex option at best as he fights for work with Rex Burkhead and James White. Unsurprisingly, he goes from a potential 1.02 pick in rookie draft to more of a mid-first round pick.

Would agree, it's tough spot for him.

But on the other hand he played on a RBBC in college.

Plus with his injury issue, a RBBC with the Patriots won't be good for ff, but maybe for his carrier.

That's why this is a terrible pick for NE. Who picks a player in the first round that they PLAN to have on the field for 1/3 of the offensive snaps? Makes no sense. Yes he is a good fit and has the talent to step into the Lewis role, but honestly if all their other RB's weren't hurt, Lewis wouldn't have had the production he had at the end of the year.

Hopefully, if they picked an RB in round 1 they'll get away from the 4 headed tailback monster they usually have, otherwise it's really hard to justify this pick from a football standpoint.

BB once again, fails at the draft :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Giants will get 4-5 wins with Barkley. NE will 11-12 wins with Michel, and possibly.have the rookie of the year.

I'll take the over 5 wins for the Gmen.

Michel won't touch Roy.

Psalm 135

Anyone else thinking theres a chance BB is trying to get away from his RBBC? They gave a ton of money to Gillislee last year and now take a RB in the first. For a guy that has a history of not giving a rip who's playing running back, the past two years make it seem like he cares more now than previously. Possibly trying to find a guy who can carry the load when Brady walks away. Either way, the history of on field success leaves the Patriots above reproach when it comes to the draft. They can miss on draft picks for years and still be a top team.

Whats Bill Belichek hate more than anything?

Fumbles

Whats Sony Michel do every 54 rush attempts?

Fumble

Ill let someone else draft him and deal with that bc one or two fumbles he wont make it off the bench until week 10+

And let's not forget, they did pick up J Hill for what that's worth.

I see another RBBC.

It's their style and it works for them.

I disagree.

Michel is more talented and for that reason should be their best rb.

Anyone else thinking theres a chance BB is trying to get away from his RBBC? They gave a ton of money to Gillislee last year and now take a RB in the first. For a guy that has a history of not giving a rip who's playing running back, the past two years make it seem like he cares more now than previously. Possibly trying to find a guy who can carry the load when Brady walks away. Either way, the history of on field success leaves the Patriots above reproach when it comes to the draft. They can miss on draft picks for years and still be a top team.

I agree with the possibility the pick is with the scenario you describe in mind BB (post Brady)......which would potentially include an injury to Brady in-season prior to retirement.

It certainly doesn't make sense looking at the current picture for NE to spend that level of draft capital on a RB but fast forward to 2020 and its possible the teams focus will revolve around the running game and defense given the current vacuum sans Brady. If the team is in a position to make the tactical switch it takes the pressure off finding a player who can step in and carry the load at QB and widens the scope of potential replacements to include end of career or game manager types (which could be Brady anyway in '19) if they are unable to develop a QB between now and then.

I still don't like the pick but I could justify it in my mind thusly if they think Michel can be that special eventually..............

best RB on the roster (most complete) is still Burkhead

I've been a Nebraska football fan all my life and respect the heck out of Burkhead, but Michel is better. I trust Burkhead more as a receiver at the moment, but that is only because Georgia didn't use Michel as a receiver nearly enough for me to be 100 percent sure about his hands.

I've been a Nebraska football fan all my life and respect the heck out of Burkhead, but Michel is better. I trust Burkhead more as a receiver at the moment, but that is only because Georgia didn't use Michel as a receiver nearly enough for me to be 100 percent sure about his hands.

yes but whats the most important factor in NE and all teams for that matter out of a rookie RB...Pass protection, Burkhead and White are awesome blitz guys, and Brady isn't getting any younger. You really think they want to trust a rookie on passing downs with the 41 year old immortal back there?

Burkhead fits their system perfectly, he took over as the GL back, and can line up all over the place. While he might not be better on paper, I bank on him getting at least 50% of the snaps

yes but whats the most important factor in NE and all teams for that matter out of a rookie RB...Pass protection, Burkhead and White are awesome blitz guys, and Brady isn't getting any younger. You really think they want to trust a rookie on passing downs with the 41 year old immortal back there?

Burkhead fits their system perfectly, he took over as the GL back, and can line up all over the place. While he might not be better on paper, I bank on him getting at least 50% of the snaps

No disagreement on the last part b/c I expect the RBBC will remain in full effect. Michel is as good as you could hope for in pass pro for a college back, so while he may not have the savvy in that area Burkhead does RIGHT NOW, I'm pretty sure Belichick & Co. are pretty happy with his pass pro skills. I only worry about Michel's ball security.

best RB on the roster (most complete) is still Burkhead

Michel is far more talented than Burkhead. A true home-run hitter.

I refuse to invest in NE RB rotation

Until I see otherwise B.B. drafted him to play one set of play packages only vs certain teams

One thing youre missing is the puck before him was an offensive lineman and theyve also brought in Trent Brown. Now part of that is Solder leaving but I think they really want to shore up the running game understanding they have a g0ddamn 41 year old QB with no backup plan.

So I dont love drafting NE RBs high either but if ever there was a year they had a bell cow, this might be it with Michel.

Yeah that's a tough call, based on there history

Going to be interesting to see how they use him come preseason.

But I would agree talentn wise he is a good one and worth a pick up.

So I dont love drafting NE RBs high either but if ever there was a year they had a bell cow, this might be it with Michel.

I'm definitely going to take a shot at him if I can get him at the right price. He has as good a chance as any 2018 rookie RB to be the best fantasy back these coming years. And I never have drafted a NE rb before.

People are making a big deal about him being a first round pick. The simple reason Bill Belichek did it in first round as oppose to the 2nd is because you get that 5th year of control. Thats the reason they took him in the 2nd

People are making a big deal about him being a first round pick. The simple reason Bill Belichek did it in first round as oppose to the 2nd is because you get that 5th year of control. Thats the reason they took him in the 2nd

The CBA really screwed running backs. 5 years, plus a year or two of the franchise tag, and they enter free agency as a high mileage, beat up veteran,with just about no shot at a long term deal coming their way. I have to imagine that's going to change in the next CBA. Even their franchise years are suppressed because no one at the position can get paid.

Michel is far more talented than Burkhead. A true home-run hitter.

until he coughs up the ball and gets put in the doghouse.

I dont know how a team with no pass rush who gave away the best pass rusher in league in Chandler Jones bc he was smoking spice or something did not take Harold Landry in that last pick of the first round who was Nick Chubb in 2017 prior to injury. Especially when they invented the RB carousel and not investing in a disposable position such as RB. I think this is the year the Pats dont win double digit games and get bounced in playoffs prior to super bowl. And itll be to Belicheks own arrogance. I still cant understand why he didnt get more scrutiny for benching Malcolm Butler in super bowl. Hes cost Tom Brady at minimum one ring bc of his arrogant ways and that patriots way crap

I still cant understand why he didnt get more scrutiny for benching Malcolm Butler in super bowl.

Has anyone uncovered why he didn't put him in the game at all yet?

I dont know how a team with no pass rush who gave away the best pass rusher in league in Chandler Jones bc he was smoking spice or something did not take Harold Landry in that last pick of the first round who was Nick Chubb in 2017 prior to injury. Especially when they invented the RB carousel and not investing in a disposable position such as RB. I think this is the year the Pats dont win double digit games and get bounced in playoffs prior to super bowl. And itll be to Belicheks own arrogance. I still cant understand why he didnt get more scrutiny for benching Malcolm Butler in super bowl. Hes cost Tom Brady at minimum one ring bc of his arrogant ways and that patriots way crap

I agree with all of this

Has anyone uncovered why he didn't put him in the game at all yet?

No and isnt that crazy? It should be one of the biggest substantive sports stories of the year and no one cares or has gotten to the bottom of it. If only Butler was dating a kardashian or something maybe then thered be some interest <_<

No and isnt that crazy? It should be one of the biggest substantive sports stories of the year and no one cares or has gotten to the bottom of it. If only Butler was dating a kardashian or something maybe then thered be some interest <_<

I wonder if Belichick has already hired a live-in biographer, and when he gets home everyday he shares his stories over a couple glasses of scotch in a smoke filled sound-proofed study where the biographer types away on his 1950's model typewriter (no electronic equipment allowed).

I think he was late to a team meeting or some other dumb stuff. Which brings me to my original point is that patriots way stuff that hoodie keeps preaching is further dividing Brady/Kraft from Bill. And this year I think it reaches its tipping point

I think he was late to a team meeting or some other dumb stuff. Which brings me to my original point is that patriots way stuff that hoodie keeps preaching is further dividing Brady/Kraft from Bill. And this year I think it reaches its tipping point

Did Belichick's tough decisions in the past help the team to unify and win? Some decisions are wrong, some are right. But discipline in football is everything as there are a lot of players to manage. It's not basketball. The coach is a proven winning football coach. Brady will be back under center and Gronkowski will be catching touchdowns until he get's injured and the Pats will probably win again this year. .

• Like 1

I don’t disagree.

But, yet they keep,winning and I’m sure will be there late into the playoffs once again this next season.