Sign in to follow this  
edjr

CTE found in 110 of 111 brains donated from NFL players

I said it and I'll say it again.

NFL will cease to exist within 20 years

http://gizmodo.com/shocking-study-finds-traumatic-neurological-disorder-in-1797224900

No one ever said playing football was good for your brain. By this point, most sports fans have heard that those who suffer repeated concussions could possibly also suffer early-onset dementia and other neurological symptoms. This, in fact, could have lead Kansas City Chiefs’ Jovan Belcher to kill his girlfriend and himself.
The leading culprit is chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a neurological disorder that seems to be common in those who play sports that lead to lots of head injuries. There still isn’t conclusive proof that more football playing means more or worse cases of CTE—the science is still in the stage of identifying correlations, not causation. But a new study’s results are shocking. Of 202 football player brains donated to science and reviewed by researchers, 177 had CTE. Of 111 NFL player brains, 110 had it.
“In a sense, the press and the attention that we get has been ahead of the science. These numbers have been floating around but haven’t been published,” study author Jesse Mez from Boston University told Gizmodo. But, he added, “the number is striking.”
Mez immediately warned of a few caveats to this study. The researchers didn’t design the study to estimate CTE’s prevalence in football, nor are they trying to establish how football playing can change the severity of the symptoms. There’s a selection bias, meaning all of these players donated their brains to science because there was a worry they might have suffered from the disease—nearly all of them already showed symptoms.
The point of the study was instead to understand the clinical features and pathology of brains at risk for CTE. The Boston University School of Medicine and VA Boston Healthcare System set up a brain bank in 2008, where a requirement for donors was that they had experienced repeated head trauma.
The researchers took scans of those brains and analyzed tissues in search of specific markers of CTE. One of those markers: a protein called the tau, which changes its chemical structure in a way that causes it to tangle up with other similarly-altered tau proteins. The scientists were able to divide the cases into four stages based on these clumps of tangled “ptau,” or phosphorylated tau proteins, as well as other more advanced degenerative symptoms throughout the brain. Stages of CTE worsened from one to four, according to the paper published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
The study “represents a major contribution to this effort” to better describe CTE, Gil Rabinovici from the University of California, San Francisco Department of Neurology wrote in an editorial for JAMA. “Nevertheless, fundamental questions about the disorder remain unresolved.” What is the prevalence of the disease in the general population, for example, and how does the risk of the disease scale with the type, level, and frequency of the contact sport played?
The NFL has a complicated history when it comes to concussion research. One study found the organization had tried to influence research and left out data in studies, while one story remarks the NFL had possible ties to the tobacco industry (like sharing lobbyists and lawyers), according to New York Times reports. Since then, the NFL has donated millions to the NIH to help fund research—that money partially funded the new study, said Mez. But even some of those donations have been subject to controversy.

if you let your kids play football, you really are retarded

202 football player brains donated to science and reviewed by researchers, 177 had CTE. Of 111 NFL player brains, 110 had it.

I don't have a problem with that...

http://gizmodo.com/shocking-study-finds-traumatic-neurological-disorder-in-1797224900

if you let your kids play football, you really are retarded

I think I may have been the first one to state something like this here. Agree, 100% on the bolded.

I would think twice anymore about letting my kids play.

I think I may have been the first one to state something like this here. Agree, 100% on the bolded.

I would think twice anymore about letting my kids play.

You really have to be a focking moron to let your kids play football.

We have quite a few parents (here at FFT) that not only let their kids play, but are proud of it.

Patsfat. Defend yourself

The biggest thing in Pro Football is the Turnover. Higher turnover recoveries equate in more Wins.

Therefore if you can knock the focking hell out of somebody, they might Fumble and the opposing team may recover.

I'm old school. Block and tackle. I'd rather see a Defensive player tackle the ball carrier neat and clean. But the possibility of causing the ball carrier to Fumble creates the need to 'light em up'. THIS is where the main injuries come from. Tackler and tackled.

So if there's any BIG changes coming down the road, it involves the Fumble.

My kids will continue playing in the flag football program for the foreseeable future.

Sadly, I think the risks will continue to outweigh the rewards of playing tackle football.

• Like 1

Didn't they study brains they had already suspected had cte ? Did they study brains they didn't suspect had it ?

agreed that it's a big problem for the NFL.

but...

did all these brains get "donated" because the person was already showing signs of CTE? If so, it just makes for a biased headline.

You really have to be a focking moron to let your kids play football.

We have quite a few parents (here at FFT) that not only let their kids play, but are proud of it.

Patsfat. Defend yourself

The study was conducted with a select number of people who donated their brains. It is going to be skewed towards those who have suspected to have CTE. It is also important to note that there is no determination as to the cause of CTE and there are also people concerned that the scientists who are doing the study have a desire to show a causal connection. There are so many other factors in NFL players lives that could be contributory beyond the game.

I also think that people love to make the jump from youth or high school football (its benefits and risks) to the NFL game, which is foolish. A recent study by the Journal of American Medical Association Neurology showed that "HS football not 'major risk factor' for cognitive impairment, depression later in life"

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/high-school-football-study-depression-brain-function-later-in-life

With both studies, there is a big factor that many ignore which is differences in how the games are played and practices conducted today vs. what was done in the past. On one hand, there is far less contact today with much better equipment and better awareness. On the other hand, players are bigger and faster with far more force in their hitting.

I think that many people are quick to dismiss the benefits of youth football for example without ever having watched a game or practice. I have seen the benefits of my son playing along with about 20 of his friends and I don't have a problem with him playing in the right situation with the right coaching. If some parents would prefer to have their kid not play sports and be bubble-wrapped, then that is their choice as well.

I would certainly like to see edjr explain how girls soccer has the highest rates of concussions in high school sports, but it must still be safe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2017/03/27/girls-soccer-has-highest-concussion-rate-of-high-school-sports-study-finds/?utm_term=.2278cddc1b2d

The study was conducted with a select number of people who donated their brains. It is going to be skewed towards those who have suspected to have CTE. It is also important to note that there is no determination as to the cause of CTE and there are also people concerned that the scientists who are doing the study have a desire to show a causal connection. There are so many other factors in NFL players lives that could be contributory beyond the game.

I also think that people love to make the jump from youth or high school football (its benefits and risks) to the NFL game, which is foolish. A recent study by the Journal of American Medical Association Neurology showed that "HS football not 'major risk factor' for cognitive impairment, depression later in life"

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/high-school-football-study-depression-brain-function-later-in-life

With both studies, there is a big factor that many ignore which is differences in how the games are played and practices conducted today vs. what was done in the past. On one hand, there is far less contact today with much better equipment and better awareness. On the other hand, players are bigger and faster with far more force in their hitting.

I think that many people are quick to dismiss the benefits of youth football for example without ever having watched a game or practice. I have seen the benefits of my son playing along with about 20 of his friends and I don't have a problem with him playing in the right situation with the right coaching. If some parents would prefer to have their kid not play sports and be bubble-wrapped, then that is their choice as well.

I would certainly like to see edjr explain how girls soccer has the highest rates of concussions in high school sports, but it must still be safe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2017/03/27/girls-soccer-has-highest-concussion-rate-of-high-school-sports-study-finds/?utm_term=.2278cddc1b2d

Flag football isn't the same without the smashing heads :dunno:

young girls shouldn't be playing sports anyway, they suck and are uncoordinated AF

Ban headballs

young girls shouldn't be playing sports anyway, they suck and are uncoordinated AF

Ban headballs

I think they are banning headers under a certain age. It's a good idea

Of course it is.

The balls they play with at that age are like little rocks.

Over-inflated and cheap.

The balls the pros play with are like volleyballs, no sh1tting.

There is a reason they can get it 60+ yards with no effort

even in high school we played with sh1t balls

Yeah I think U11 and under is now a no-no...

Ban headballs

See, this is where reactionary thinking is dangerous. Lots of people can sit on the side and come up with these great ideas without ever having to think about it.

Heading in soccer has been eliminated at the younger levels. However, they are already finding that it has not had the desired effects. There are two problems:

1. Kids are still getting head injuries but not from heading the ball, but from banging heads with other players and getting elbows

2. When they can head the ball, they have no clue how to do it and they end up hurting themselves

Flag football is not football. There are two key things that you cannot do in flag football (blocking and tackling) which are the MOST IMPORTANT things about real football. I started a flag program in town and I think that it is great for kids younger than 4th grade (or so). After that, they can play tackle safely, have some fun and they can be ready for when they get to high school. Having kids wait until they get to HS to learn how to play tackle is dangerous because HS coaches do not teach the fundamentals of safely tackling and blocking.

I'm getting focking old...

in HS and college I was a pretty good soccer player... I was a sweeper, very strong in the air... beat everyone defensively and offensively with headers.

Today, they don't even use a sweeper anymore.

And heading isn't allowed.

Holy Fock... I don't even know how to play the game anymore.

agreed that it's a big problem for the NFL.

but...

did all these brains get "donated" because the person was already showing signs of CTE? If so, it just makes for a biased headline.

i hear an echo

I'm getting focking old...

in HS and college I was a pretty good soccer player... I was a sweeper, very strong in the air... beat everyone defensively and offensively with headers.

Today, they don't even use a sweeper anymore.

And heading isn't allowed.

Holy Fock... I don't even know how to play the game anymore.

That is probably the CTE. T&P's :(

That is probably the CTE. T&P's :(

I sometimes wonder... goalkeepers punting the ball to mid-field and me flying by and through everyone to win it in the air and send it right back into the 18 yard box... glory day for sure... but now at 46... when you have the minute or two that you can't remember that guy's name or something minor like that... makes you wonder.

I know for certain that I have certain issues with joints (knees, hips) that relate to sports trauma... why not the brain too?

:dunno:

I sometimes wonder... goalkeepers punting the ball to mid-field and me flying by and through everyone to win it in the air and send it right back into the 18 yard box... glory day for sure... but now at 46... when you have the minute or two that you can't remember that guy's name or something minor like that... makes you wonder.

I know for certain that I have certain issues with joints (knees, hips) that relate to sports trauma... why not the brain too?

:dunno:

FEAR THE MULLET!

re: video I sent you :D

Some smart people here have already touched on this. I did a long post about all this months ago. I know that's a shocker.

The science and Reporting is just retarded on this. Unless you have a control group. For example, did they analyze the brains of 110 office workers who killed themselves? Did they analyze the brains of people who didn't kill themselves? Did they look at the overall picture? Meaning sustained drug use which we know has an effect on the brain sustained alcohol use ditto? Etc etc etc

I know Sports reporters aren't the brightest guys in the world, but the reporting on this and that stupid f****** movie are absolutely retarded and irresponsible.

• Like 1

As long as the networks are shelling out multi-billion dollar deals, the NFL will continue to exist well past 20 years. It may take on a different form, but as long as the $$$ keeps flowing - the owners will find a way.

• Like 1

There still isn’t conclusive proof that more football playing means more or worse cases of CTE

And sure enough, the first headline I see is brain disease affects 99% of all NFL players.

No, that's not what the findings indicate.

When you have a group of scientists funded to prove something, they will prove it.

Science serves those who fund it.

As long as the networks are shelling out multi-billion dollar deals, the NFL will continue to exist well past 20 years. It may take on a different form, but as long as the $$$ keeps flowing - the owners will find a way.

I agree

This is all driven by the soccer faygs who couldn't make varsity real football

This. Too poos to play football, not tall enough for basketball.

In related news...110 of 111 people who showed signs of the flu...were sick.

This. Too poos to play football, not tall enough for basketball.

:rolleyes:

Of 111 NFL player brains, 110 had it.

They would have had 100% compliance if they hadn't have accepted that punter's brain.

They would have had 100% compliance if they hadn't have accepted that punter's brain.

I disagree. At the end of the day, the NFL is still as escape for inner city youth and a way to make big money. You may see the product quality decline as guys who can pursue other avenues decide to stop playing football but I dont think there will be much, if any drop off in inner city kids playing youth football, highschool, college, and that big NFL payday.

you may see more guys retiring younger. Basically playing out their rookie deal, going after 1 big free agent contract and then retiring before 30.

Even a guy like Peyton Manning who you have to believe could have been pretty successful at a number of other things with his charisma, is not likely going to turn down all that money he made as an NFL QB. If he had it to do over again, he might not play as long.

I didn't read the full article or the full study, but I wonder what "had CTE" really means in terms of long term diagnosis. I assume you are able to have some evidence of CTE but live perfectly fine to a ripe old age, especially depending on position you played. There are obviously degrees of severity with CTE.

I also wonder if you took 100 brains of regular people working construction jobs, playing soccer, dropped on their head as a kid, how many of those brains would "show CTE".....

It's like doing a Sexual Transmitted disease study on 110 prostitutes and EdJr

Football will be similar to the other "dangerous" sports like boxing.

Excluslivly low income minorities.

Football will be similar to the other "dangerous" sports like boxing.

Excluslivly low income minorities.

You mean like NASCAR?