Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Bier/food savvy geeks

I made a dish of roasted brussels sprouts and bacon for a work thanksgiving feast tomorrow. According to the recipe it should be served immediately. That's not going to happen. Would it be best to leave it covered in the oven overnight, or go ahead and refrigerate it? It will be placed in a cafeteria warmer tomorrow afternoon before the meal.

I made a dish of roasted brussels sprouts and bacon for a work thanksgiving feast tomorrow. According to the recipe it should be served immediately. That's not going to happen. Would it be best to leave it covered in the oven overnight, or go ahead and refrigerate it? It will be placed in a cafeteria warmer tomorrow afternoon before the meal.

Throw it in the fridge.

When reheating food, you want to bring it to 165 then hold it at 140 or above.

Or if serving cold, kept below 40.

Overnight I would store in the refrigerator.

In the fridge it went.

Wow, that does not sound like a good leftover at all.

We'll see. Roasting brussels sprouts makes them crispy so I don't think mush is going to be a factor, but I've never had them later.

If it's blech, the upside will be that tripling what I assumed was a moderate family size recipe looks like enough for 10 people if they dish conservatively. There'll be at least 7 times that :ninja:

Fixed it for you.

What a waste of bacon. I mean bacon is wonderful, but its not a miracle worker. It can only do so much.

Bacon hath charms to sooth the savage beast.

In all seriousness. Brussel sprouts are like little sponges. Not as bad as mushrooms mind you but the same concept. The concern would be simply that the oil will soak into the sprouts and then they become heavy and greasy.

After reheating them, you might consider lightly patting them to try to absorb as much excess grease as you can. Also line the bottom of the warnlming dish with paper towels and then extract before serving.

If you have it, punch the whole thing with drops of lemon juice to try to bring out some lightness and cut the heavy fattiness.

Good luck.

Youd have to wrap it on a whole damn pig to make a Brussels sprout edible.

I love Brussels sprouts, but have to be careful ordering them because they are often garnished with that gawdawful meat :(

I'm envisioning a Bridesmaids scene with the employees shitting into and onto whatever they can find.

• Like 1

i only do them around this time of year... i know i have posted it on here before.

brussell sprouts with bacon, caramelized apple and onion, with a sherry vinaigrette.

half then blanch the sprouts (less bitter this way). pan sear in the bacon fat.

How did they go over? :banana:

I'll never make them for a context where they can't be eaten fresh out of the oven again BUT they were not bad. IMO they were simply not bad. There was a couple compliments but I think they were niceties (and I usually take food compliments to heart). It's just no comparison to what they're like if served immediately.

It's a great dish fresh, for people who like Brussels sprouts, and some people (according to the blog comments) who thought they hated the veggie actually like it.

I'll never make them for a context where they can't be eaten fresh out of the oven again BUT they were not bad. IMO they were simply not bad. There was a couple compliments but I think they were niceties (and I usually take food compliments to heart). It's just no comparison to what they're like if served immediately.

It's a great dish fresh, for people who like Brussels sprouts, and some people (according to the blog comments) who thought they hated the veggie actually like it.

I am one of those people. Such that I haven't eaten them in years. <_<

Maybe I could stand this baconed-up version. :banana:

You and Naomi should bang.

Seriously.

Unless shes actually CH. But still, think about it

This is a really simple, easy recipe. Just make sure you follow the last step to a T ;) The bacon goes in the oven raw with the sprouts so the sprouts do get pretty infused with bacon flavor.

If you're anything like me, this 34 second vid will be helpful:

I was at Smith & Wollensky's on Saturday night. They were pushing brussel sprouts, bacon and almonds hard as a side dish. We got it, but I didn't eat any. :dunno:

I love most things, B-sprouts, I do not.. Not even bacon can save them for me.

In all seriousness. Brussel sprouts are like little sponges. Not as bad as mushrooms mind you but the same concept. The concern would be simply that the oil will soak into the sprouts and then they become heavy and greasy.

After reheating them, you might consider lightly patting them to try to absorb as much excess grease as you can. Also line the bottom of the warnlming dish with paper towels and then extract before serving.

If you have it, punch the whole thing with drops of lemon juice to try to bring out some lightness and cut the heavy fattiness.

Good luck.

This was worth a response.

That concern was the reality to an extent. I didn't have the time/ability to do those compensating steps. Handed it off to the caretakers of everyone's food, for the warmer part. Good thoughts though :thumbsup: Sometimes I think you're kind of blowing smoke, but this was right. Thanks for the unused tips :P

In all seriousness. Brussel sprouts are like little sponges. Not as bad as mushrooms mind you but the same concept.

Mushrooms are excellent. Brussel sprouts are meh. IMO

Mushrooms are excellent. Brussel sprouts are meh. IMO

I dont think he was commenting on the actual quality of mushrooms and Brussels sprouts but rather their relative absorbent qualities.

I mean, Jesus... no offense, but can anyone focking read anymore??

I dont think he was commenting on the actual quality of mushrooms and Brussels sprouts but rather their relative absorbent qualities.

I mean, Jesus... no offense, but can anyone focking read anymore??

I stopped reading after that. Im, admittedly, a few drinks in...

My mom used to boil brussel sprouts. Jesus, other than perhaps throwing them in a smoothie maker, I'm not sure there's a worst way to treat brussel sprouts. Good Christ. That's just naturally brings out the nastiness in them. Plus it stinks the house up something fierce.

They were on my no way I'll ever eat them as an adult list until I saw different preparations of them.

Ok, I went back and read it. I focked up. Carry on.

I just want to applaud you for owning it and moving on, rather than starting a three page name calling sh!t fest like usually happens around here.

I just want to applaud you for owning it and moving on, rather than starting a three page name calling sh!t fest like usually happens around here.

If you ever applaud me again, I swear to some higher being, I will show up on your door step and cave your face in.

Id recommend frying the bacon that AM and adding it to the sprouts right after reheating them / before serving to keep them from getting soggy and to keep a layer of fat out of the sprouts.

My mom used to boil brussel sprouts. Jesus, other than perhaps throwing them in a smoothie maker, I'm not sure there's a worst way to treat brussel sprouts. Good Christ. That's just naturally brings out the nastiness in them. Plus it stinks the house up something fierce.

They were on my no way I'll ever eat them as an adult list until I saw different preparations of them.

Our parents brussel sprouts are why we grew up hating them. You have to cut them in 4 pieces and crisp them up.

Our parents brussel sprouts are why we grew up hating them. You have to cut them in 4 pieces and crisp them up.

I tried that. I could manage to cut them in four pieces but the oven was too small to properly crisp up my parents.

• Like 1

You and Naomi should bang.

Seriously.

Unless shes actually CH. But still, think about it

I dunno about all that, but I'm definitely up for an awkward hike next time she's in the Baltimore area (I'll drive). :banana:

This is a really simple, easy recipe. Just make sure you follow the last step to a T ;) The bacon goes in the oven raw with the sprouts so the sprouts do get pretty infused with bacon flavor.

If you're anything like me, this 34 second vid will be helpful:

I was more talking about eating them if someone plopped them down in front of me...I doubt I'd have the skillz to actually make something like that. :D

Ugh. My mom did the same and it was godawful.

Rooned me from ever wanting to try them in any form.

Not trying to be mean, but why would you make that for a work pot luck?

Throw it away and say "Hello Jimmy Johns!" They're freakishly fast.