Sign in to follow this  
Maulers1973

Injuries.......

So sad to add young Watson.

Would be greatest blessing if all war fought with machinery instead of human beings.

I think the opposite is true. Players dont work as hard once they reach the NFL and league rules prevent teams from practicing they way they have in the past. My arguments would be the longitivity of players like Jerry Rice, players used to work out with in the offseason. Also if you notice college kids who have a higher desire to play harder and work for there piece of the pie arent getting hurt as much. Almost sounds like some suggest we go back to doing push-ups, sit-ups, and barbells and eliminate the high tech exercise machines of today.

I think the opposite is true. Players dont work as hard once they reach the NFL and league rules prevent teams from practicing they way they have in the past. My arguments would be the longitivity of players like Jerry Rice, players used to work out with in the offseason. Also if you notice college kids who have a higher desire to play harder and work for there piece of the pie arent getting hurt as much. Almost sounds like some suggest we go back to doing push-ups, sit-ups, and barbells and eliminate the high tech exercise machines of today.

You may have something here. Definitely doesn't seem to be as many with the college ranks.

So in conclusion:

Grow natural grass indoors for domes

Mandatory TB12 training for all players. Force the avocado ice cream down their throats

So in conclusion:

Grow natural grass indoors for domes

Mandatory TB12 training for all players. Force the avocado ice cream down their throats

Chop the tops off all the domes. Don't need 'em., just toughen up. The Vikings used to know what I'm talking about.

Yeah those Bud Grant Vikings had a great home field advantage.

I blame the weight lifting they do more than the turf they play on. Nobody took their queue from David Boston.

steroids?

I will add my thought here, admitting I have not read all in this thread.

Reasons for injuries.

• Abusively played during college time. Especially those that play in the SEC. Some see a correlation of shortened NFL careers or higher rates of injury.
  • Athlete who have played only 1 sports their entire life. Lacking cross training and adequate time off.
  • Low contact practice
  • Summer Camp being shortened
  • turfs / shoes
  • physical size of players. isn't natural.
  • Tackling Methods. Missile launch and hits
  • Taking Hits - how to fall.
  • Some teams are manned by morons (Cleveland and Buffalo)
  • etc.

Personally I think a lot has to do with changes to Summer Camp.

It used to be more intensive. With less major injuries.

I think the camps being soft isn't preparing the body correctly for the full speed play.

Consequently, the body not being prepared isn't handling the impacts correctly, etc.

I mean, 10 years ago, a player not taking part in camp would be expected to be knocked out early on IR.

I think what we are seeing is the misnomer that soft practices will results with fewer injuries. When in fact it may be the direct opposite.

One more thing.

Roster Size too Smalll

An another thing

Player development no longer the norm.

Another mega star worth millions goes down for the year. Wentz to IR with ACL. How many ACL guys on this list???? Something needs to be done. This is maddening!!

Also, adding Shazier to the list.

Another mega star worth millions goes down for the year. Wentz to IR with ACL. How many ACL guys on this list???? Something needs to be done. This is maddening!!

Also, adding Shazier to the list.

First guy to create a knee brace that protects from this and does not inhibit natural movement will be an instant billionaire.

First guy to create a knee brace that protects from this and does not inhibit natural movement will be an instant billionaire.

The funny thing is, that for 2 or 3 years now, I've been saying that they NEED to address the equipment. Clearly the level of play or the conditions/circumstances they are being asked to play under require a revision or upgrade to the equipment. EVERY single time I say that, people act like that's the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard. I have no idea why. I mean, if I was paying a guy millions of dollars to play professional football, I'd want to do everything possible to be sure he remains ON the field of play.

How many college football players are there? How many have been lost for the year due to major injury? What percentage? I'm guessing it's lower than the NFL's percentage. Why? Also, the bigger question is why aren't these super rich team owners doing more to protect their investments? Imagine telling a CEO of a top corporation that you're going to take his top salesman out the game for 11 months for the next fiscal year. The next best guy is about 25% as good. Now ask him, if he can prevent losing his top sales guy, would he be willing to look for a way? The answer is obvious.

There HAS to be more that can be done. There has to be!!!

Flags

The funny thing is, that for 2 or 3 years now, I've been saying that they NEED to address the equipment. Clearly the level of play or the conditions/circumstances they are being asked to play under require a revision or upgrade to the equipment. EVERY single time I say that, people act like that's the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard. I have no idea why. I mean, if I was paying a guy millions of dollars to play professional football, I'd want to do everything possible to be sure he remains ON the field of play.

How many college football players are there? How many have been lost for the year due to major injury? What percentage? I'm guessing it's lower than the NFL's percentage. Why? Also, the bigger question is why aren't these super rich team owners doing more to protect their investments? Imagine telling a CEO of a top corporation that you're going to take his top salesman out the game for 11 months for the next fiscal year. The next best guy is about 25% as good. Now ask him, if he can prevent losing his top sales guy, would he be willing to look for a way? The answer is obvious.

There HAS to be more that can be done. There has to be!!!

If there was a device that was proven to reduce the chances of these types of injuries by let's say 50%, then the league should mandate that all players wear them.

The reason a lot of these guys don't wear certain pads is because they feel the pads slow them down.

Then mandate more gear and slow EVERYONE down. Nascar has restrictor plates for the carbs. NOBODY is going out on Daytona or Talledega with a carb that isn't restricted. They'll be DQ'd and they know it. Nobody goes out onto a football field without a helmet. Regulated and enforced. This isn't rocket science.

There's a lot of running in soccer and violent collisions as well. Do they have these problems? Do they have more or less padding? Maybe this is an absurd comparison, but it stands to reason that a guy could have his leg planted and get it slammed into quite often which seems to be a recipe for an ACL injury in the NFL. Is soccer ever played on an artificial turf? I have no idea. I don't follow it.

And because of those restrict plates too slow them down a little, also causes some of the biggest wreaks during the season.

If you ask those drivers, they hate it.

The plates are used too slow down the cars too keep the wreaks from hurting the fans in the seats.

Now it's used too keep the racing nice and tight.

Doesn't do much if any at all too keep the drivers safer nor the fans.

Only why too make the game of football safer, is too remove the pads and helmets and go flags.

Thicker pads may slow down may slow down the game. But it won't soften the hitting.

If anything it will make,the players feel,safer,and make the game even rougher, but it will also make it slower.

If the fans didn't like the racing they would remove those plates.

I definitely agree that if there was a solution it would have to be across the board.

Most likely can't elimate those that are just non hit knee injuries, as those can happen to anyone being active at anytime. But those nasty hits when a players cleats stick in the ground or for whatever reasons maybe there can be something to at least help.

NFL did the right thing when they lowered the target zone when making a tackle.

Too take away the head shots.

So your left with the legs and knees.

Only way too eliminate those injurys is too remove tackling from tackle football.

Here's an idea. Why not get rid of all turf.. real turf and artificial turf, and replace with sand. Like beach volleyball.

The play would slow down, field would play wider, knee injuries would seemingly decrease as the sand might give way underneath the foot when taking hits to the legs...

Perhaps number of concussions would also decrease as speed decreases.

Here's an idea. Why not get rid of all turf.. real turf and artificial turf, and replace with sand. Like beach volleyball.

The play would slow down, field would play wider, knee injuries would seemingly decrease as the sand might give way underneath the foot when taking hits to the legs...

Perhaps number of concussions would also decrease as speed decreases.

And then when football goes out of business noone would be getting injuried.

There's a lot of running in soccer and violent collisions as well. Do they have these problems? Do they have more or less padding? Maybe this is an absurd comparison, but it stands to reason that a guy could have his leg planted and get it slammed into quite often which seems to be a recipe for an ACL injury in the NFL. Is soccer ever played on an artificial turf? I have no idea. I don't follow it.

Soccer is a world away from football. The goal isn't contact, and there isn't any part of the game (aside from the line of dudes blocking the free kick) that involves planting yourself in one place. Guy goes up for a header or kick and you hit him, you're probably in trouble. There are injuries, but nowhere near as many.

Robert Edwards would like to disagree :/

Soccer is a world away from football. The goal isn't contact, and there isn't any part of the game (aside from the line of dudes blocking the free kick) that involves planting yourself in one place. Guy goes up for a header or kick and you hit him, you're probably in trouble. There are injuries, but nowhere near as many.

Robert Edwards would like to disagree :/

Hey at least he got to rub sand in his wound. He just couldn't walk it off like most.

:dunno:

Hey at least he got to rub sand in his wound. He just couldn't walk it off like most.

:dunno:

To be honest, I have no idea if that would make injuries more or less prevalent. It's just the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

My first instinct would be that a surface shifting under your feet might be worse in a number of ways.

Here you go: this medical doctor here says this thing. But of course he's not adding tackling to the equation:

"As you run on an irregular, inconsistent surface like sand, the forces that go through the feet, ankles, knees and hips vary dramatically and can predispose an athlete to injury in any one of these body parts.” He advises: “the ideal surface to run on is a relatively flat, smooth, resilient and reasonably soft surface such as a track or jogging trail.”

Take away the helmets and reduce pad size. This would work 100%. Self preservation tackles are safe tackles.

Take away tackles.

Now that's a 100% way too make the tackles safest.

It's a coming soon, if they keep ruining this game.