Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

The Patriots Dynasty is NOT over

Oops...

For years, many of you New England haters have prematurely proclaimed that NE is done.

From Lawyer Milloy to Weiss, Crennell, Dillon, Moss, Bruschi, Seymour, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Hernandez, etc every year the New England haters latched onto that one story line that they hoped would signal New England's demise. And every year they were wrong.

Until this year.

This year, New England is... officially DONE.

Tom Brady is no longer young enough... good enough... to overcome this team's deficiencies. For NE fans, we knew Brady had aged but we hoped there would be an Elway-like championship - one where the great QB was no longer asked to do everything and the team around him could pick up the slack. But it simply won't end that way in New England.

Now... I know the NE haters will snicker and proclaim that the Dynasty was over a long time ago... but sports history will (rightly) shape it otherwise. Here, is the recap of the New England Patriots Dynasty - it was fun while it lasted Pats fans:

2001: SuperBowl winner

2002: 9-7 - missed playoffs

2003: Superbowl winner

2004: Superbowl winner

2005: Playoffs, 2nd round

2006: AFC Championship

2007: Superbowl loser, undefeated regular season

2008: 11-6, no playoffs (Brady injury year)

2009: Playoffs, wild card

2010: Playoffs, second round

2011: SuperBowl loser

2012: AFC Championship

2013: AFC Championship

2014 - end of an era

Time finally catches up to Tom Brady. NE's mediocre drafting and questionable personnel decisions are finally too much for the aging QB to overcome. NE still wins the weak AFC East and makes the playoffs but they are no match for the true iron of the NFL.

Everyone in Boston needs to calm down, I bet local radio is going nuts this am. I remember the Pats being decimated in the Dome in 2009, and they have lost badly before, especially on the road.

The Pats still play in the AFCE, even if they are mediocre at this point they are still just less mediocre than the Bills, Jets and Phins. I think the Pats still win the East. After that, who knows. But they have the best home field advantage in the league in terms of actual winning percentage. And 3 of their first 4 games have come on the road. (Saints fans, also 3 of 1st 4 on the road, can commiserate.). And 4 of their next 5 are at home, where they thrive.

In terms of FF, BB will make adjustments. Something new will emerge from this team, whether it's the return of Vereen, or Amendola or Wright or White or Dobson or LaFell, but something is going to change. Gronk has also been underused and I bet that's about to change.

However I think the most surprising thing to me has not been the decline of the offense but how bad the defense has been. I really thought that would be a major improvement this year. The defense, not the offense, is their biggest problem.

The era was largely extended because of the division they play in.

I guess the conference too since they made multiple Super Bowls and conference championship games :doh:

I think you missed another Super Bowl loss in there :cry:

fixed.

thanks.

Championships, SuperBowls, Championships, Superbowls... so many, I get 'em confused.... those were the days. So sad it's over.

The Pats still play in the AFCE, even if they are mediocre at this point they are still just less mediocre than the Bills, Jets and Phins. I think the Pats still win the East.

and sadly, this simply isn't enough.

New England, and the AFC East, has basically made the regular season irrelevant.

Last night's loss doesn't really matter a whole lot in the playoff picture. New England will probably still win the AFC East... at 10-6? maybe even 9-7?

The difference is that this year, New England is no longer one of the better teams in the NFL. They will not make it to any Conference championships, nevermind superbowls.

The wheels are off.

It's a debacle from Coaching staff to QB to WRs, to O-line to Defense.

Revis??? Look, he's a nice corner but nobody's talking about how much he's regressed... you think Brady's "lost a step"? Revis island is a focking WR tourist destination now. He hasn't even face and elite QB/WR yet and they still have gone right after him.

and sadly, this simply isn't enough.

New England, and the AFC East, has basically made the regular season irrelevant.

Last night's loss doesn't really matter a whole lot in the playoff picture. New England will probably still win the AFC East... at 10-6? maybe even 9-7?

The difference is that this year, New England is no longer one of the better teams in the NFL. They will not make it to any Conference championships, nevermind superbowls.

The wheels are off.

It's a debacle from Coaching staff to QB to WRs, to O-line to Defense.

Revis??? Look, he's a nice corner but nobody's talking about how much he's regressed... you think Brady's "lost a step"? Revis island is a focking WR tourist destination now. He hasn't even face and elite QB/WR yet and they still have gone right after him.

Yeah Revis is just an ordinary good corner now. Certainly not elite or transcendent as he was in his Jets days.

I am surprised at how poor the defense was last night. They couldn't tackle at all. Yeah some of that was Charles being awesome but they struggled bringing down just about every player. Everybody's talking about Brady's lost it, but what about Belichick? This appears to be a poorly coached team in many facets, to say nothing of his personnel decisions.

Yeah Revis is just an ordinary good corner now. Certainly not elite or transcendent as he was in his Jets days.

I am surprised at how poor the defense was last night. They couldn't tackle at all. Yeah some of that was Charles being awesome but they struggled bringing down just about every player. Everybody's talking about Brady's lost it, but what about Belichick? This appears to be a poorly coached team in many facets, to say nothing of his personnel decisions.

A lot of teams have had trouble with Knile Davis as well.

I too am surprised with the defense. They have some talent there. Not sure why they are getting carved up. Maybe alex smith is just that good? It is possible that this game was just a fluke and the defense locks it down for the rest of the year. That offense is done though. Their receivers suck dlck, somehow making the chiefs receivers look good. I like the pats but believe they deserve to fail in misserable fashion for not putting more talent around brady.

Tim Wright :lol: what a joke.

How do you dress only 3 WR and then not run the ball?

And BTW, those 3 WRs are crap... Edelman, LaFell, Amendola... really?

Edelman aside, these guy have more penalties than catches and more penalty yards than receiving yards (maybe a stretch, but close to truth)

The coaching is horrible. The game plans are horrible. The play calling is horrible.

Maybe Scarnecchia knew... maybe he knew the writing was on the wall and THAT'S why he retired (thank you sports radio caller).

And the Defense is Jeckyl and Hyde... and to me the barometer is the pass rush. IF they pressure the QB, the D plays well. If not, they're toast.

Where is Jamie Collins? He looked GREAT ending last season, now he's nowhere???

The O-line looked like a pee-wee game with all the substitutions and positional changes last night... MID-GAME!!! WTF? You know they won't win so get playing time for all the kids so Moms and Dads are happy? Pathetic.

Too many flaws to overcome. Too old a QB to hide the deficiencies. Too many poor (dare say "cheap") personell decisions.

Are the Patriots the new version of The Boston Bruins? Just play well enough to get into the tournament so you keep 'em interested and make money?

awful.

And especially awful b/c we saw this coming. The fans have known. It was no surprise that NE got destroyed in KC last night. It's is a surprise that we all saw it coming and the great Patriots organisation was not prepared for it.

LOL nothing sad about the team . Sad is this post oh my soul . Sounds like someone died . Get over it . Here is some tissue

I guess the conference too since they made multiple Super Bowls and conference championship games :doh:

Nah, just the AFC East, like everybody else is saying in this thread.

:rolleyes:

Their dynasty was over the last time they won their superbowl like forever ago.

Nah, just the AFC East, like everybody else is saying in this thread.

:rolleyes:

OK.

Explain to me then how they topped most everyone in the conference or literally everyone in the conference for years running, if it was just the AFC East? Would love to hear that logic :thumbsup:

OK.

Explain to me then how they topped most everyone in the conference or literally everyone in the conference for years running, if it was just the AFC East? Would love to hear that logic :thumbsup:

So you are just randomly quoting me because even Patriot fans have made the same point in this thread.

I don't think it's really that hard to figure out that if you routinely walk through your division and end up with a bye and a second round home game things generally work out in your favor.

We aren't exactly splitting the atom here.

So you are just randomly quoting me because even Patriot fans have made the same point in this thread.

I don't think it's really that hard to figure out that if you routinely walk through your division and end up with a bye and a second round home game things generally work out in your favor.

We aren't exactly splitting the atom here.

First round BYE is determined by overall record, not simply by division play. Then you still have to win a conference game to make the AFCCG or two to win the Super Bowl.

Face it, you made a dumb statement. Playing in the AFC East certainly helped the Pats most of the time (except those couple years the Jets were really good), but they still had to beat the other top conference teams to advance in the playoffs.

Playing in the AFC East certainly helped the Pats most of the time (except those couple years the Jets were really good)

Yes, you focking idiot, thanks for telling me my point. Jesus Christ, you literally never cease to amaze me with your stupidity.

Yes, you focking idiot, thanks for telling me my point. Jesus Christ, you literally never cease to amaze me with your stupidity.

This is what you said: "The era was largely extended because of the division they play in."

I disagree. It may have helped but, as I have pointed out time and again, they still had to beat the cream of the conference to make the ACCG or the Super Bowl. And they've done that in each of the last three years and then back in '06 and '07 as well.

HTH

If Brady can't drop in those sh!tty little dinky-dunk passes then they are royally screwed.

Who the heck is going to win the AFCE then? Seriously? Part of the dynasty is the fact that they have a guaranteed playoff spot. Even when Brady went down they almost made it (or did they, I can't remember). The only time I remember them missing it is when there was some total fluke final week of the season occurrence and some other team snuck in instead out of there, and I think they had the same record even.

Love to see Brady play somewhere else for a few years like Manning. I wonder if that could happen? There are teams that could use a QB like him. Plenty of them. Hmmmm.....

The hoodie is an excellent coach. He can't draft worth a hsit, especially WRs and should have given up personnel decisions long ago.

:overhead:

I see the same cast of characters still butt-hurt over the Patriots... steelers fans, ravens fans, philly fans... the list is long... for a decade and a half, the New England Patriots were a dominant force in the NFL. Many teams lost many games to them - and some didn't take it well.... in fact, more teams lost more games to Brady/Belichick than any other coach/QB combination in the history of the NFL... so yes, there's a lot of butt-hurt to go around.

You can relax now ladies... it's over... the Patriots will stop taking your lunch money.

I promised you all for years - each year, when you proclaimed that NE was done - I promised you I would let you know when your pipe-dream was a reality. It is finally a reality. It's the end of an era in the NFL.

NE still wins the weak AFC East and makes the playoffs but they are no match for the true iron of the NFL.

Bump for PackYourNut

Regardless of this week's NE vs. DEN game, my overall opinion still hasn't really changed.

NE will win the EAST and make the playoffs but they are not well suited against the iron of the NFL.

What I'm not sure though is how much the iron (SEA, SF, DEN, SD) will fall... if the league turns into a cluster-fock of dysfunctional teams (and it's quite possible with SEA, SF, CIN, and maybe SD)... then NE has a shot to steal a title when they clearly are not an elite team.

Bump for PackYourNut

Regardless of this week's NE vs. DEN game, my overall opinion still hasn't really changed.

NE will win the EAST and make the playoffs but they are not well suited against the iron of the NFL.

What I'm not sure though is how much the iron (SEA, SF, DEN, SD) will fall... if the league turns into a cluster-fock of dysfunctional teams (and it's quite possible with SEA, SF, and SD)... and then NE has a shot to steal a title when they clearly are not an elite team.

What kind of side stepping are you trying to do here. If they beat Denver, it would have shown your proclamation that the dynasty is over is incredibly premature.

And what secondary garbage, you claim "even if they win a title they are not an elite team". Winning titles is a pretty solid thing to do if you want to be part of a dynasty.

If they win a title your headline "The Patriots dynasty is over" is just flat out wrong.

The notion that the afc is soooooo weak and that's what propels the Patriots is funny to me....07 In an unbeaten regular season they beat something like 6 or 7 playoff teams

Since 2002 when the nfl went to 4 divisions in each conference...the afc east had a higher win total than any division manning played in for 6 out of 10 years....I excluded 2008 when brady was out (the afc east tied with the south for win total that year) ....and to be fair I also excluded 2011 since manning missed the whole year....

I think the term 'Dynasty' needs to be revisited and discussed. :dunno:

The Patriots have been a good team for along time, true, but its been quite a long time since they won the superbowl.....No?

I think the term 'Dynasty' needs to be revisited and discussed. :dunno:

The Patriots have been a good team for along time, true, but its been quite a long time since they won the superbowl.....No?

agreed.

I just don't think NE is truly an elite team. They are, once again, a "good" team that will need to have many chips fall just right to win it all. And if teams like SEA, and CIN continue to implode... who knows.

If by some crazy circumstances NE wins the SB, they are not a better team than the "elite" 2007 team that lost only the SB game.

And that's my point really - year after year, they are simply a "good" team that gets in the mix. Is that enough? Probably not.

NE personnel philosophy of competing every year prevents them from ever truly loading up and making a run... and there is always a team or two out there that is loading up.

On paper, NE is no match for DEN. only a handful of NEs offensive and defensive starters would even start in DEN.

Do they have a shot at home this week? Sure. Home field is big. Belichick know how to gameplan and weather may be a factor. And Brady can play mistake free- -he's made a living at it. So NE may chess-match their way to a victory this week... and if they do, I hope the fans don't let them off the hook and pretend NE the Dynasty is back - because it isn't - not unless they get very lucky at year's end.

agreed.

I just don't think NE is truly an elite team. They are, once again, a "good" team that will need to have many chips fall just right to win it all. And if teams like SEA, and CIN continue to implode... who knows.

If by some crazy circumstances NE wins the SB, they are not a better team than the "elite" 2007 team that lost only the SB game.

And that's my point really - year after year, they are simply a "good" team that gets in the mix. Is that enough? Probably not.

NE personnel philosophy of competing every year prevents them from ever truly loading up and making a run... and there is always a team or two out there that is loading up.

On paper, NE is no match for DEN. only a handful of NEs offensive and defensive starters would even start in DEN.

Do they have a shot at home this week? Sure. Home field is big. Belichick know how to gameplan and weather may be a factor. And Brady can play mistake free- -he's made a living at it. So NE may chess-match their way to a victory this week... and if they do, I hope the fans don't let them off the hook and pretend NE the Dynasty is back - because it isn't - not unless they get very lucky at year's end.

New England has gone to three straight AFCCGs. How is that not making a run? They're on a short list of teams who'll contend for a championship every year.

Maybe the Patriots as a team aren't elite...but the franchise is. One of the best runs in NFL history....which by the way, is still going.

Seriously....Pat fans expect to win this weekend. They expect to win in January. Not too many fans enjoy those expectations in any given year, forget about the better part of 15 years.

Maybe the Patriots as a team aren't elite...but the franchise is.

THAT is the maddening part.

They are always so close - but a step short... right there, but NO.

And to me, it's about personnel decisions.

Their offensive line is still weak - it was a complete disaster earlier this season but it's graduated to weak.

Logan Mankins would have made a difference there.

They are still having trouble rushing the passer and now Jones is out - Tommy Kelly would have made a difference there.

And these types of nickle/dime decisions always come back to haunt NE - and it's maddenning because everything else is in place for them to be dominant.

Yes, the wins and success NE has had over this long period is amazing. But as a Bruins fan, I can tell you it's not enough - it's not enough to just be "very good" for 15 or 20 years It's not enough to win the AFC east. Every year they are on the brink of being elite and every year they toss away talent that could have helped them win.

Why do they do it? Because usually the talent is declining or overpaid - from a business standpoint, it's usually the right move and rarely does a player leave NE with a lot of gas and success left in the tank.

But in the short term, it hurts the team. I'd rather see them load up and win and then slip for a season or two than maintain a standard of "very good".

I don't know how you can say they are just a "good" team but not a great one. They finish every season with double digit wins. Even the year Brady went down in week 1. Year in and year out they are almost always considered one of the top three teams in the league, if not the outright best. Not only that, but they are one of the offensive trend setters in the league. What the Patriots do, other teams copy.

As for them not loading up. Think about it, their franchise philosophy in a lot of ways mirrors their on the field philosophy. Just dink and dunk. Take the sure five yards and keep moving down the field. Yes, every now and then you take a shot, but only when you're in the right position. And you only take big risks when you have to.

In franchise building terms, their goal is to get home field advantage for the playoffs while leaving as much cap space as possible for next year. Fill your holes by signing the reasonably priced free agent. And every now and then take a shot on a a Dillon, Moss, Haynesworth, or Ocho Cincho. You can criticise them for not loading up, but think about it this way. There are no gaurantees. If they could sign a single player that could gaurantee them the Superbowl, no matter the cost, I'm sure they would do it. But, what happens if you load up and don't win it all? Maybe you give youself a two or three year window and then fade into mediocrity for two or three wasted years where you are guaranteed to lose.

Instead, they figure the superior strategy is just to be great every year. Make the playoffs, get home field advantage if possible, but keep an eye toward the future Then, when the playoffs come, let the chips fall where they may. And if not for a helmet catch and Wes Welker catch, we would not be arguing how well it works.