Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Mr. Irrelevant

I really dislike the insult that the draft "experts" (who dont really know anything about the players) apply to the last person drafted. There are UDFAs who have more impact than 1st round draft picks all the time. The term may have meant something years ago, but in today's NFL, a player can be good when drafted from any round, or even not drafted at all. It's time to lose the insult, because it isnt even remotely close to relevant any more.

I really dislike the insult that the draft "experts" (who dont really know anything about the players) apply to the last person drafted. There are UDFAs who have more impact than 1st round draft picks all the time. The term may have meant something years ago, but in today's NFL, a player can be good when drafted from any round, or even not drafted at all. It's time to lose the insult, because it isnt even remotely close to relevant any more.

Who feels insulted by this? And does it play into whether they get a job or not? And don't they get hype and freebies out of it?

I think the bigger thing to them is that most would prefer to be UDFA's so they are not associated with a single team.

Is this one of those everyone is a victim things to everyone who is driven by liberal agenda? Because that is political and not anything else.

Who feels insulted by this? And does it play into whether they get a job or not? And don't they get hype and freebies out of it?

I think the bigger thing to them is that most would prefer to be UDFA's so they are not associated with a single team.

Is this one of those everyone is a victim things to everyone who is driven by liberal agenda? Because that is political and not anything else.

You're right. We shouldn't ever consider treating each other with respect. We should just call anyone any name any time. If they get offended, well obviously that person is a liberal pvssie.

Thank you for showing me my error, you dumbass

You're right. We shouldn't ever consider treating each other with respect.

you dumbass

There you go. That's the spirit.

I blame Obama. But seriously, whoever gets the tag, "Mr. Irrelevant" has to hear that term for the rest of their careers and probably, their lives. At first, their interviews start with, "How does it feel to be Mr. Irrelevant for 2018?" If they actually succeed, the story becomes, "He started out as Mr. Irrelevant, but now he's very relevant..." It's an annoying moniker they have to wear and I'm sure many of them could care less, but I agree with the OP that it's a stupid tradition, especially when you consider how many undrafted players would love to be that irrelevant.

I blame Obama. But seriously, whoever gets the tag, "Mr. Irrelevant" has to hear that term for the rest of their careers and probably, their lives. At first, their interviews start with, "How does it feel to be Mr. Irrelevant for 2018?" If they actually succeed, the story becomes, "He started out as Mr. Irrelevant, but now he's very relevant..." It's an annoying moniker they have to wear and I'm sure many of them could care less, but I agree with the OP that it's a stupid tradition, especially when you consider how many undrafted players would love to be that irrelevant.

Did the NFL start it? Or the media? If it came out of the NFL rule book, then I get it's probably not cool. If it came out of the media, then what can you do? Go look at television these days. They have nightly complete shows that are geared to make fun of the president. And others. There are millions of dollars being poured into doing this industry as an agenda.

It's the media. Don't go on those interviews if you don't want to answer those questions.

3/10

Like a few of your posts lately.

actually, I know you're overly sensitive so I don't want to be a bad guy...

ill give that 6/10 ;)

This history is awesome. I wish Josh Rosen was picked last. I would have paid money to see how that lunatic would have acted if called last. ☺

"Mr. Irrelevant" and "Irrelevant Week" arose in 1976, when former Southern California and NFL receiver Paul Salata founded the event in Newport Beach, California. He continued to announce the final pick of the NFL draft until 2013; from 2014 his daughter took over in announcing the pick. During the summer after the draft, the new Mr. Irrelevant and his family are invited to spend a week in Newport Beach where they enjoy a golf tournament, a regatta, a roast giving advice to the new draftee, and a ceremony awarding him the Lowsman Trophy. The trophy mimics the Heisman, but depicts a player fumbling a football.

This history is awesome. I wish Josh Rosen was picked last. I would have paid money to see how that lunatic would have acted if called last. ☺

"Mr. Irrelevant" and "Irrelevant Week" arose in 1976, when former Southern California and NFL receiver Paul Salata founded the event in Newport Beach, California. He continued to announce the final pick of the NFL draft until 2013; from 2014 his daughter took over in announcing the pick. During the summer after the draft, the new Mr. Irrelevant and his family are invited to spend a week in Newport Beach where they enjoy a golf tournament, a regatta, a roast giving advice to the new draftee, and a ceremony awarding him the Lowsman Trophy. The trophy mimics the Heisman, but depicts a player fumbling a football.

Of course, back in the day, there were more rounds in the draft right? So mr. Irrelevant was much less relevant even than he is now.

It was interesting to hear Rashaad Jennings on SiriusXM NFL radio today. He was telling about how he was watching the draft on television when he was coming out of college and he mentioned that from the 5th round on the graphics on the TV were saying "next best player available" was him, but other backs kept getting drafted.

He then mentioned that as the 7th round was going on, he still wasn't drafted. He said he was at that time hoping that he would be Mr. Irrelevant for the perks and the attention that comes with it. But he ended up being drafted #250 by Jacksonville, 8 spots before the last pick in the draft.

Hmmm, he was hoping to be Mr. Irrelevant (his words). Interesting how an actual draftee was not only not offended, but actually wanted it, and now some current day politically correct sensitivity promoter is hurt by it. I don't understand the concern. And these same concerned people have no problems calling other people names when those others disagree with them.

I heard the same interview. Sounded to me like he expected to be drafted much sooner, but the longer it took the more he hoped he'd go last.

It was a worthy listen. I came out of it respecting him more.

I heard the same interview. Sounded to me like he expected to be drafted much sooner, but the longer it took the more he hoped he'd go last.

It was a worthy listen. I came out of it respecting him more.

Yeah. That's how I heard it too. He seems like a pretty cool regular guy. I liked his story on wanting to take the player uniform throwaways and turn them into signed collectibles for charity purposes.