Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Family Values

A lot is blamed on moving away from a traditional, two parent family. My parents were divorced when I was three, so I understand some of the issues. I was a classic latchkey child with little to no parental supervision, yet I luckily avoided a lot of the pitfalls of growing up in such an environment. Not really sure how.

How was your upbringing, and what do you think we can do to promote a return to the nuclear family?

This plus social media are two main culprits of a lot of Americas problems. Sadly, the toothpaste is out of the tube.

- Increase tax benefits for joint/married filing

- Reduce entitlements for having out-of-wedlock children

- Increase tax benefits for joint/married filing

- Reduce entitlements for having out-of-wedlock children

Absolutely not. The revenue code is supposed to be to raise refenue. Not a social laboratory.

Much of the familys problems can be traced to stagnant wages, which have forced women to work, forced everyone to work longer hours, and often second jobs.

Our worship of the dollar and more bigger better Things is largely to blame.

• Like 1

Absolutely not. The revenue code is supposed to be to raise refenue. Not a social laboratory.

Much of the familys problems can be traced to stagnant wages, which have forced women to work, forced everyone to work longer hours, and often second jobs.

Or the fact 10% of the of the population now owns 75% of the wealth

Yet we give tax benefits for home ownership... charitable donations... many things that are not about raising revenue. :dunno:

I dont disagree. But Ill also assume you disagree with all sin taxes, green tax credits, etc. etc.

I asked my wife about this and she had a lot to say, not sure if I can capture it all but:

- We need positive messages from Hollywood and the media about nuclear families.

- We need to teach girls that they have value, and not to just hook up with guys on a tinder swipe.

- We need to teach girls that while it is OK to be self-sufficient, it is also good to join in a union with a man.

- We need to teach boys and girls that marriage is a journey, not a matter of convenience that we end when one of the two isn't happy. Marriage is not about happiness or love, it is about union. There is honor in working through problems to maintain the sanctity of the union.

This isn't to say that all unions should be saved. For instance I believe I advised TBBOM to cut bait and run from his wife long before he did; some situations are unfixable. But as a general rule we can do some things to try to bring back the value of family. :cheers:

One could just as easily make the argument that the women's lib movement spurred inflation to a point where a 2 working household became a necessity.

Yet we give tax benefits for home ownership... charitable donations... many things that are not about raising revenue. :dunno:

Yes. And we shouldnt. They usually have unintended consequences.

- We need to teach girls that they have value, and not to just hook up with guys on a tinder swipe.

Why do we have to teach girls this? If a woman wants to seek sexual gratification why should she feel some sort of shame that she is selling herself short or not valuable

Having safe, responsible, casual sex is not wrong

Why do we have to teach girls this? If a woman wants to seek sexual gratification why should she feel some sort of shame that she is selling herself short or not valuable

bandrus1 2020 :banana:

Im really not sure what can be done. Female independence is probably to blame as they no longer sit by silent as doting servants to their husbands. Plus social media and the internet facilitate detrimental factors to relationships. Im not even sure if the family dynamic has that much of an effect on society positive or negative.

Google Family Strokes

:ninja:

What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

It's spelled nookler.

And look at Jerry the union shill.

Women can join a union, but they damn sure better pay their dues.

Start by making everyone listen to Larry Elder on family

3 simple rules to getting out of poverty in the United States

1) Finish High School

2) Get a job

3) Get married before having kids

follow those 3 steps are you are 97% likely to not be in Poverty

Agree 1000%

Start by making everyone listen to Larry Elder on family

3 simple rules to getting out of poverty in the United States

1) Finish High School

2) Get a job

3) Get married before having kids

follow those 3 steps are you are 97% likely to not be in Poverty

I don't think you're right about that anymore. Hell, even a college degree is no guarantee these days.

I think we're actually seeing economics make the next major change and the family unit. We're heading back more towards Asian ways. People can't afford to live on their own. Even divorced couples are staying under the same roof. Housing is way too expensive.

Those should be eliminated along with marital tax “benefits” (a misnomer if both spouses earn about the same).

Those should be eliminated along with marital tax benefits (a misnomer if both spouses earn about the same).

What tax benefit for home ownership are we talking about? Writing off the interest?

What tax benefit for home ownership are we talking about? Writing off the interest?

Seriously. That's corporate welfare for the big Banks.

If there's any good news, I think it's that social media is continuing to take a lot of hits. It may not ever be the pet rock, but I definitely think it has hit its nadir.

It's not wrong per se, but men won't buy the cow if they get the milk with no effort.

It's not wrong per se, but men won't buy the cow if they get the milk with no effort.

Completely outdated concept

If there's any good news, I think it's that social media is continuing to take a lot of hits. It may not ever be the pet rock, but I definitely think it has hit its nadir.

If this is its nadir, we still have a long way to go.

1. That assumes that women want or need to be bought.

2. Its just not true. Nobody with half a brain gets married for sex. Thats like buying a car to get a radio. There are easier ways.

Id bet that virtually every guy here that was or is married focked not just their bride to be, but numerous others first.

Those should be eliminated along with marital tax “benefits” (a misnomer if both spouses earn about the same).

Well, the topic is how to incentivize a nuclear family. Seems you aren't into that topic. :dunno:

Well, the topic is how to incentivize a nuclear family. Seems you aren't into that topic. :dunno:

It isnt the governments place to incentivize one mode of life over another.

Their role is to generate revenue to perform their governmental functions. Thats it.

Thats such an incredibly insulting analogy. I Remember talking to a few women from Europe who were just Furious to hear that. But it Justified their mindset that American women are basically hookers when it comes to using their vaginas like Visa cards.

How about this.. how about not romanticize families like it is the ultimate goal in life? So many people just "settle down" and have kids because they think it is what they are suppose to do.

How about this.. how about not romanticize families like it is the ultimate goal in life? So many people just "settle down" and have kids because they think it is what they are suppose to do.

Its a great form of control for the government too.

People with families are less likely to risk rebellion.

The large male population that cant find wives makes the Chinese government nervous.

Its a great form of control for the government too.

People with families are less likely to risk rebellion.

The large male population that cant find wives makes the Chinese government nervous.

Not to mention all those Chinese sheep.

• Like 1

Apparently penny was right that incentivizing the nuclear family is more difficult than banning guns, because nobody here seems to have the slightest ability to have that discussion. :(

If this is its nadir, we still have a long way to go.

Well I'm pretty sure we're witnessing a massive drawdown of Facebook. It's not that unusual. Any body remember my space? I didn't think so. Right now, the overwhelmingly fastest growing and perhaps only growing segment of Facebook is women over 50. That alone is enough to guarantee that young people will run away from it in droves. More and more on instagram and shiit.