Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Bears hire Matt Nagy as HC

I don't watch college football. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Who knows? He got fired from Oregon. He needs a job.

Reid is the next Schottenheimer - great in the regular season. But crashes-and-burns in the playoffs, when ALL the teams are good. :thumbsdown:

Nagy took over play calling at some point during the season. I think the last 7 games, when they got their groove back. Therefore: Nagy called the ENTIRE game vs. TEN. So, yes - he was criminal in not giving Hunt more carries. Especially with a three-score lead!! :doh:

I watched the whole game, Reid called the 1st half, unless the camera showed him faking the play calls on the sideline. For whatever reason, it appeared Nagy called the 2nd half. Nagy did own up to the bad play calling in the 2nd half and said he would learn from it as HC of the Bears. At first I didn't like the hire, but I'm warming up to it (hey, anything is better than Fox LOL)! They did indeed retain Fangio, so the future is looking bright.

Nagy also didn't start calling the offensive plays until the last 5-games, when they averaged 28pts/game (that's huge for an Alex Smith run offense).

Not sure what Seafoam's problem is, are you a Packers fan or just a Bears hater?

I watched the whole game, Reid called the 1st half, unless the camera showed him faking the play calls on the sideline. For whatever reason, it appeared Nagy called the 2nd half. N

Not sure what Seafoam's problem is, are you a Packers fan or just a Bears hater?

Reid called in their first 15 scripted plays. Nagy the rest.

Problem? I'm a Bears fan and hate to see them take a step back. Although, I'm glad at least they will now be putting time in on Trubisky. Real deal. Let's see how Tubisky will react to a new system in his second year in the league. Not easy.

I don't think any coach truly gives up anything.

Maybe you don't understand that.

That's why they have the title Head Coach.

Yeah it's a good move for Howard owners, and unlike KC they don't have a lot of other choices.

KC is diffently a more talented team, and Howard is the Bears best player.

So I would think they would use him.

Why would he not want too use his best player?m

And didn't Hunt win the rushing title m?

I've had some time to think this through now and additional info such as the OC hire.

I'm going to counter the assertion that Howard is seen by the organization as its best player. The GM blew his wad of draft capital and bet his future and the teams medium term outlook on Trubisky. The coaches know they were chosen with the charge of developing Trubisky.

I'll concede that if the goal was to go into the first game next year needing a win, a run focused game plan centered on a workhorse that limits a young QBs mistakes would most likely give the Bears the best chance............ but I don't think winning every game now is necessarily the dynamic in play and it certainly didn't work for Fox.

Howard's stats can get better if/as the Bears stats improve, but I don't think its a lock and I think its just as likely he continues to frustrate owners.

The best individual matchup isolation currently on the team is Cohen and I think there is a strong possibility Nagy/Helfrich get infatuated with utilizing him AND he looks like he might produce if given the right opportunities which could keep him in play as a consistent drain.

So I think there is risk to those who would draft Howard high again even assuming the Bears get better.

I could see Cohen siphoning carries and potentially getting most/all the PPR work (3rd downs/2min) and I could see play calling that doesn't compute in the traditional sense and leads to an offense goes for stretches with very low production.

In short, I can see a scenario develop where there are regularly a lot of complaints on this board this year about "...........only 11 carries this week for Howard, and they don't even use him in the passing game".

if history repeats, bears will be in the SB in 2 years :(