Sign in to follow this  
Bill E.

I have a New Hole in My Head

I dive in one spot that has a really strong current, is deep (70 feet) and has near zero visibility (2-3 inches with a light). I have GPS marks that I like to hit but the current makes it hard to pull down the anchor line plus it pushes the boat off the mark so I have to get down quick. So what I have done for years is jump in as soon as we get to the spot I jump in and my boat driver hands me the anchor and I carry it down. Actually it pulls me. I have to equalize the pressure as I go down because the deeper you go the greater the pressure is on your ears. So yesterday I am going down and one ear would not clear. By the time I let go of the anchor and start up I am heading down rather quickly. So the pressure pops or tears a hole in my eardrum. Now I am in a little pain and not diving for a month.

A month of showing your wife "the Beast"... might as well make the most of it.

Seriously though, sorry to hear it amigo.

• Like 1

Ouch. Have you tried that quick seal stuff they sell on TV? It's pretty amazing, they can turn a screen door into a boat.

Maybe just get a can of that and some Q-tips and you'll be all set!

• Like 1

• Like 1

Also, stop hanging out with guys who hand you a frickin ANCHOR when you're in the water.

Hth

• Like 1

As a person who has punctured an ear drum, it was absolutely excruciating after it happened. I didn't feel any pain for a few hours, but when it did hit it was horrible. After the 1st night though I didn't feel any more pain. It was just hard to hear out of my ear. I used it as an excuse when I wasn't paying attention in school for a couple of weeks. Thankfully it was a small hole and I recovered my hearing all the way.

Will your hearing recover all the way?

I already did ask you this in another thread, but I couldn't remember which one and I couldn't find it.

When you ended up being swept out to sea and needed to be rescued, were you freaking out about sharks at all?

Also, do you have to be cautious of bull sharks in fresh water at all?

I'd be more worried of the river amoebas that are taking up residence in your brain.

Not to mention the Snell hooked parasites going up his weener hole.

Not to mention the Snell hooked parasites going up his weener hole.

Right, this is the beginning of a bad horror movie. Kinda like The FLY but not as good. Direct to DVD starring Bill E. ...The Polliwog.

• Like 1

Surprised that it is only a little pain. Hope it heals quickly.

It hurt a lot at first. When I got to the boat I tried to clear and all the water behind the ear drum drained out through the tear. After that it hurt but not too bad. I had headache all day.

I'd be more worried of the river amoebas that are taking up residence in your brain.

It would starve.

Twat did you say? I Kunt hear you.

• Like 1

I bet you needed that like the world needs another folk singer. :doh:

• Like 1

As a person who has punctured an ear drum, it was absolutely excruciating after it happened. I didn't feel any pain for a few hours, but when it did hit it was horrible. After the 1st night though I didn't feel any more pain. It was just hard to hear out of my ear. I used it as an excuse when I wasn't paying attention in school for a couple of weeks. Thankfully it was a small hole and I recovered my hearing all the way.

1. Will your hearing recover all the way?

2. I already did ask you this in another thread, but I couldn't remember which one and I couldn't find it.

When you ended up being swept out to sea and needed to be rescued, were you freaking out about sharks at all?

3. Also, do you have to be cautious of bull sharks in fresh water at all?

1. I hope so. One day about a year ago I came up and could not hear out of one ear. I figured I had water in it somewhere. It continued for a few days so at some point I called an ear doctor. By the time I as able to get an appointment it was clearing up so I was not too worried. He told me nobody should ever SCUBA dive. (Right. So like I should go get a job?) It was a lot like I am feeling today so now I wonder if I did the same thing then. I could hear fine yesterday after I cleared the water out, but if I do that the tear will not heal. Diving has affected my hearing and it is not the best. I now know to be really careful.

2. You mean I wrote all that and you did not read it? http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464128&do=findComment&comment=5891454

You are probably not seeing this either. :doh:

3. Where I dive a lot they used to call the shark hole. They caught tigers and hammerheads there but then they were chumming. They are out there but I hope they just have better things to eat than me.

ed the Carlin thing was great. I am glad you all gave me something more to worry about. Amoebas parasites

and pollywogs. i did go to urgicare yesterday and got some antibiotic ear drops. Hopefully that will kill the stuff growing in my head. Going to Hilton Head for the night so I will let you know if I am still alive in a day or two.

Also, stop hanging out with guys who hand you a frickin ANCHOR when you're in the water.

Hth

Might be the best advice I get all day.

1. I hope so. One day about a year ago I came up and could not hear out of one ear. I figured I had water in it somewhere. It continued for a few days so at some point I called an ear doctor. By the time I as able to get an appointment it was clearing up so I was not too worried. He told me nobody should ever SCUBA dive. (Right. So like I should go get a job?) It was a lot like I am feeling today so now I wonder if I did the same thing then. I could hear fine yesterday after I cleared the water out, but if I do that the tear will not heal. Diving has affected my hearing and it is not the best. I now know to be really careful.

2. You mean I wrote all that and you did not read it? http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464128&do=findComment&comment=5891454

You are probably not seeing this either. :doh:

3. Where I dive a lot they used to call the shark hole. They caught tigers and hammerheads there but then they were chumming. They are out there but I hope they just have better things to eat than me.

Ahh thanks. Just read that response.

Yeah diving does some weird shlt to the body after so long. There are pipefitters who did a lot of underwater welding and now are all jacked up.

I know the chances of being attacked are miniscule, but still I see the stories of guys looking for abalone, then their boat mates just see red in the water. Shlt like that. I guess someone has to do it though.

Might be the best advice I get all day.

When the best advice you get is from Wiff.....

Well... Good Luck!

• Like 1