Sign in to follow this  
Flgatorguy87

How long will you wait?

Just curious in a year where everybody has a favorite QB who is going to crack the top 10... How late are you going to wait for your QB?

I've lost my 9th and 10th for a couple keepers which is a good problem to have, but that is right in the area where I normally target a guy who has dropped. I'm torn on pulling the trigger on a guy in the 7th or 8th or possibly rolling the dice and riding out 40ish pics and seeing who is left in the 11th.

rnd 7-8 is the sweet spot for that last stud qb like Romo. Im a big fan of Ryan as well but may have to reach a round earlier. I think either jumping on the top 3 early to secure your production or waiting til rnd 7-8 are the best 2 qb strategies and id lean toward waiting.

Even if you miss out on those guys, dont be afraid to keep taking sleepers and value depth players. You will still be able to get great qbs like Ben, Wilson (he has finished 9th both years of his career and will only get better and has percy back.) even dalton who was a top 4 guy last year. How bout CArson palmer when everyone else is taking defenses? Qb is a no worry position. The main thing to remember is the later you wait for a qb, the sooner you should take a backup. Peyton or brees? No backup needed. RG3, romo and kaep? Take a Wilson or ben. Wilson or ben? Take another qb w ur next pick.

I think it just depends. Knowing your leaguemates really helps. If you pass at pick 7/8, can you project what will be there in round 11? Either way, I would assume you will have to pull the trigger in round 7/8 to get a decent guy. If you wait til round 11 you may have to settle for Sam Bradford, Eli Manning....a guy that definitely has potential, but has serious question marks. I would rather spend an earlier pick on a more secure QB.

Two starting QB leagues, second to third round. One starting QB league to get a top guy I will start shopping going into the forth or fifth round depends on how the draft has gone to that point.

• Like 1

I am going to do what I did last season. I waited until later, then took QB's in back to back rounds. I ended up with Dalton and either Tannehill / Palmer in most of my drafts. Dalton was my target and I got him late enough the rest of my roster looked awesome, so I figured if he could finish in the top 13 or 14, I'd be fine. Him blowing up was just a bonus.

This year, I'm doing it again and plan on targeting Romo/Cutler/Kaepernick as my starter followed up quickly with Dalton/Tannehill/Eli. Romo has been dropping so low it's almost scary. In some of my redrafts, I've seen him going as between the 12 and 14th QB selected. That's WAY too low. I don't care about his 4th quarter interceptions or how bad he looks in big games. I only need fantasy points. Fantasy.

If you take two solid guys later, you can rotate their matchups and do pretty well. You may lose some points against a Brees or Peyton, but it isn't much. Plus, those folks are giving up top WR's and RB's for their QB. You can get a guy late, who can potentially be a top 6 to 10 guy, and have a much better overall roster.

If you are in a trading league though, beware of this; I drafted in a league last year, the weekend before the season began, and a guy pulled this; He took Brees in the 2nd and got Manning in the 3rd. Manning dipped some due to his neck worries. He turned around and traded Manning and CJ Spiller (his first rounder) to a guy for Moreno, Andre Johnson and Pierre Garcon. He picked up a QB on waivers as his backup. He also won our league Championship, beating me in the Semi-Finals. Some people do weird stuff on draft day, but when they do, many times it means they have a plan.... lol Be wary of an owner with a plan. He may look like a fool at the end of the draft, but the end of the draft is only the beginning of the game.

I really don't look until around the 5/6th rounds & may not pull the trigger until as late as the 8th - depends.

My main league awards 6 pts per passing TD and yardage bonuses ... So QBS tend go earlier than they should. I will reach one round over a guy's ADP to get the player I want. 3rd is earliest I'd think about a QB, then only if one of the elite 3 are on the board and they're usually gone by then.

Incredible depth at the QB position this year and plenty of time to sit back and focus on strengthening your other slots. I am in auction leagues only and will gladly load up the roster and then plug in the likes of Ryan, Romo, Cutler or preferably two of the the three for a few bucks in the back half. I do think its important however to grab two of that caliber and not drop too far down before selecting your number two because inherently there is a touch more risk with these players.

Step up and play the better league- 2 qb

I play in a 2 qb and it is just 1 among several other various leagues. All are competitive and fun in their own way.

I added a qb in the fourth of my first mfl 10s league only to see luck and stafford fall big time. Luck just went at 7.03 and stafford is still available. I got a guy i have a ton of confidence in, but i missed on a few of my big time sleepers as they were going 2 or more rounds ahead of their adp.

I am currently partaking in 3 mfl 10s leagues, qbs are falling. Peyton manning made it to the end of the second in one league. Brees didnt go until the third.

This is the way i am looking at it, you have 2 great options this year. Draft a guy you think could crack the top tier of qbs this year in round 5 and know you have a gauranteed stud, or just wait and wait and wait, because someone will be there.

I am leaning toward the first option because as much as i think a qb like romo or cutler can be solid starters, i think there are a few guys who can be near special this year. I will be jumping on those qbs in the fifth or early sixth every draft.

I added a qb in the fourth of my first mfl 10s league only to see luck and stafford fall big time. Luck just went at 7.03 and stafford is still available. I got a guy i have a ton of confidence in, but i missed on a few of my big time sleepers as they were going 2 or more rounds ahead of their adp.

I am currently partaking in 3 mfl 10s leagues, qbs are falling. Peyton manning made it to the end of the second in one league. Brees didnt go until the third.

This is the way i am looking at it, you have 2 great options this year. Draft a guy you think could crack the top tier of qbs this year in round 5 and know you have a gauranteed stud, or just wait and wait and wait, because someone will be there.

I am leaning toward the first option because as much as i think a qb like romo or cutler can be solid starters, i think there are a few guys who can be near special this year. I will be jumping on those qbs in the fifth or early sixth every draft.

This would be in the line of my normal plan but losing those 2 later round picks where I normally targets QBs had me scared. I don't think I can hinge my season on waiting so that I can add a guy like T. Williams. I'll probably be taking best available QB in the 8th and again in 11th.

Not taking any chances. I will have either Peyton/Rodgers/Brees on all of my teams.

The quick answer is "late first / early second."

If you're picking in the 10-12 range, the top 5-6 RBs and a handful of WRs plus maybe Graham will be off the board. At that point you may as well pair a Top 3 QB (Manning, Brees or Rogers) with the best remaining back (Ball or Murray probably). The difference in scoring between the Top 3 QBs and the field is going to outpace the difference in second tier RBs and backs available in Roinds 3-4; at that point it's a crapshoot.

If you miss out on the Top 3 QBs you may as well wait til rounds 5 or later. There is very little difference between say Stafford (4) and the 10-12 QB off the board.

The quick answer is "late first / early second."

If you're picking in the 10-12 range, the top 5-6 RBs and a handful of WRs plus maybe Graham will be off the board. At that point you may as well pair a Top 3 QB (Manning, Brees or Rogers) with the best remaining back (Ball or Murray probably). The difference in scoring between the Top 3 QBs and the field is going to outpace the difference in second tier RBs and backs available in Roinds 3-4; at that point it's a crapshoot.

If you miss out on the Top 3 QBs you may as well wait til rounds 5 or later. There is very little difference between say Stafford (4) and the 10-12 QB off the board.

I kinda feel this in theory but sometimes I wonder if the spread week to week isn't always as big as it seems.

Peyton and Brees were on another level but through 8 healthy weeks, maybe without some wrs ect, Rodgers was putting up about 22 points in 4 passing td leagues a week to Romo-Rivers 20.

I kinda feel this in theory but sometimes I wonder if the spread week to week isn't always as big as it seems.

Peyton and Brees were on another level but through 8 healthy weeks, maybe without some wrs ect, Rodgers was putting up about 22 points in 4 passing td leagues a week to Romo-Rivers 20.

I think you feel that way because even a mediocre starting fantasy QB is going to put up 15-20 on a routine basis, but those 3 QBs I named are going to average almost 30 in a lot of scoring systems and that kind of consistency is huge.

In the late 1st / early 2nd you can make a case for one of the handful if elite WRs too. Dez and Green are going to out score your average #1 fantasy WR by quite a bit.

I would caution against going RB/RB just for the sake of being loaded at that position though. There is much more turnover at the top among RBs and a far higher injury risk. Nothing worse than passing in an elite QB or WR for the 11-12 RB on the board only to watch him get hurt or bust anyway.

Any strategy turns out to be awesome when the players you draft produce.

Dalton and Rivers were really good QBs in 2013. You could have fielded an awesome team if you selected one of them late in the draft and stocked up on RB and WR......unless you had TRich and Ridley and Roddy and Bowe.

Same with going Peyton early. Great strategy if you landed Lacy, Gio, Stacy, Alshon, Gordon, Julius.....but not so much if you hitched yourself to David Wilson, Mendy, Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings.

Having said all that....I think going QB early is a fine strategy.....and I think going QB late works perfectly well too. Going QB in the middle rounds just seems like you're ditching value though. Those guys are the same as the guys you can get 3-4 rounds later....and you're missing out on solid backs and receivers who could explode and help carry a team.

• Like 1

Just curious in a year where everybody has a favorite QB who is going to crack the top 10... How late are you going to wait for your QB?

I've lost my 9th and 10th for a couple keepers which is a good problem to have, but that is right in the area where I normally target a guy who has dropped. I'm torn on pulling the trigger on a guy in the 7th or 8th or possibly rolling the dice and riding out 40ish pics and seeing who is left in the 11th.

If you have two quality keepers at Wr/Rb you should be able to stock those positions and look at available QBs in the 7th and still get quality. Unless there isn't anyone you like in the 7th, I wouldn't wait until the 11th to get my QB1.

6pt passing TDs makes things a bit more interesting. I already know for a fact thta Brees/Manning/Rodgers will be gone by mid 2nd. The next run usually starts early 4th round. Hoping to grab Cutler in the 6th in my 16 teamer, which I think would be good value.

In a two keeper league rounds 7/8 are like rounds 9/10 in a redraft league. Assuming your keepers are starter quality WR/RB combination how many do you really need to draft in the first 8 rounds?? Be open to drafting a quality QB that falls to you in any of the early rounds as long as your projecting he'll out play his draft position. In a competitive league your mates might just try to screw you by drafting bench QB's while you're on the sidelines in rounds 9/10 still waiting for a starter...yikes.

Any strategy turns out to be awesome when the players you draft produce.

Dalton and Rivers were really good QBs in 2013. You could have fielded an awesome team if you selected one of them late in the draft and stocked up on RB and WR......unless you had TRich and Ridley and Roddy and Bowe.

Same with going Peyton early. Great strategy if you landed Lacy, Gio, Stacy, Alshon, Gordon, Julius.....but not so much if you hitched yourself to David Wilson, Mendy, Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings.

Having said all that....I think going QB early is a fine strategy.....and I think going QB late works perfectly well too. Going QB in the middle rounds just seems like you're ditching value though. Those guys are the same as the guys you can get 3-4 rounds later....and you're missing out on solid backs and receivers who could explode and help carry a team.

This is sooooo true. Any strat looks good when you pick the right names out of the hat. We can all look at some teams we thought were loaded last year that ended up being trash once games started. A team couldv drafted with all monkeys last year and gotten Foster, Doug, Trent and spiller as their rbs, all 1st rnd picks...and still lost!

I'm shooting for 7-8 round for my QB this year. I already know Manning is getting taken in the first by one of my league mates. So I would much rather draft a RB and WR with my first two picks so I can be set at the position. My first 6 picks will be a split between WR and RB with my QB coming in at the 7 or 8 round. My TE will come in later with a guy like Jordan Reed or Kyle Rudolph.

Right before others starting taking back-up QBs. Grab two of: Ryan, Griffin, Romo, Cutler, Rivers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, or whoever else falls. Grab a 3rd QB near the end of the draft, and one of them can easily end up in the top 5-6 this season.

Right before others starting taking back-up QBs. Grab two of: Ryan, Griffin, Romo, Cutler, Rivers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, or whoever else falls. Grab a 3rd QB near the end of the draft, and one of them can easily end up in the top 5-6 this season.

Too many qbs with three. I've seen some where they don't even take a backup QB and use that spot for an extra RB then pick up a QB bye week replacement later in the season and drop someone who never gets used, is a bust, or is injured

I am at the beginning of the second round of my fourth mfl 10s draft. Its 12 teak ppr leagues with 4 pt per pass td.

Manning 2.04, 3.01, 1.05, and hasnt been picked yet at 2.02

Brees 4.03, 3.09, 4.06

I am advising you stray from your plan of waiting if brees is available end of third beginning of fourth. He will be the top qb this year and he will have a comfortable advantage over all other qbs. At the very least you are getting a sure fire stud and a player at the top of his position in the third. The price tag is worth the assurance if he falls the same in your leagues.

I'd def take Brees, Peyton, or Rodgers in round 3 if they fell to me. But in rounds 1 or 2 of a 12 team league I just think I would miss out on too much taking them that early...

Depends on how the draft goes and which players fall to me. I'm usually a late QB guy (6th, 7th, 8th or so) BUT I'll draft one of the top 3 early if they fall far enough.

Brees and rogers falling to the 4th every single draft. I actually draftes foles ahead of brees because i wasnt expecting him to still be there. Looked at the guy who picked after me and saw brees name. I was like :doh:

In my 2 money leagues, 12 team 6 pts per TD, I got 1 early in one league, and waited in another.

In the first league, Peyton went 1st overall, and I had 7th pick so I could've had Brees, but there's no way I'm taking him that high. I took Romo in the 7th when I was starting to sweat bullets because most of the good QBs were gone and some guys were drafting backups.

In the 2nd league, Brees was still there in the second round at the 3rd pick, so I took him.

I like the first team a lot better than the second.

6pt passing TDs makes things a bit more interesting. I already know for a fact thta Brees/Manning/Rodgers will be gone by mid 2nd. The next run usually starts early 4th round. Hoping to grab Cutler in the 6th in my 16 teamer, which I think would be good value.

I'm in a 12 team 6pt passing td league and it's a lock Manning, Bree's and Rodgers go in the first round. It's interesting because somebody leaves the draft every year taking WR in the first two rounds and they are ungodly. I predict this year someone walks out with Calvin and DT or Dez.