Sign in to follow this  
aggiewildlife

Is LeGarrette Blount being undervalued?

Dude had 18 touchdowns last year and is being drafted/ranked incredibly low this year. I realize he's on Philly now and not New England, and there will be fewer scoring opportunities as a result, and that he's a 2-down back, not a 3-down back, but he's the undisputed goal-line option for Philly. They don't have a Gronkowski or any of the other major options that New England had, although I recognize too that makes their red zone situations perhaps more predictable. Still, I have a hard time believing he won't approach 10 TD's this year. Jesus, Ryan Matthews had 8 TD's last year for Philly.

Is there a good reason he's being drafted so low? Seems like a good value pick, worth perhaps bumping up a few notches in my personal rankings.

I think a lot of people remember what happened last time he left New England. Went to Pittsburgh and immediately flamed out.

I usually dont put much time in looking at guys that dont catch the ball since Im in a PPR. I pay up more for better RBs and hit up receivers later in the draft. Any late RBs I take are usually backups to other teams starters where they throw to the back a lot.

yes and no.

like Mathews his end of year numbers may end up serviceable, but he's not an every week must start player, so you never know which game he's going to go off. Mathew for instance last year had a 27 point game and a 20 pt game that boosts his total numbers...but those games don't do your team any good if you had him on your bench which a lot of people did.

that uncertainty is built into Blount's ADP right now, and that's why he's rated where he is. you may end up with RB2/flex numbers at the end of the year, but you'll also prob get some real stinker games in there that will drive you crazy and cost you your week.

I think he's rated about right and I do like him better than Mathews so I'm not saying don't draft the guy, but I don't think you reach for him and I'd temper expectations.

He ran out of the IForm with a FB league high 121 times last year.......Philly doesn't even have a FB on there roster. Pass

He ran out of the IForm with a FB league high 121 times last year.......Philly doesn't even have a FB on there roster. Pass

Not to mention Belichek (sp?) is the best, most unpredictable coach in the league. Even when he is predicable, he knows how to match up and play call. Pass.

I see your points here, all good, but it's also worth pointing out that last year when he scored 18 times, he did so against a league-high average of 8.3 defenders in the box. So it wasn't like teams weren't trying to stop him. He's a beast in the red zone.

I know he's not going to score 18 times again, I'm not trying to say that. But his current ADP just seems alarmingly low to me.

Now that Matthews has been released he just has to deal with other very mediocre competition. Could be a steal.

For me, it's because the last time he left NE he was a dud. None for me thanks.

For me, it's because the last time he left NE he was a dud. None for me thanks.

Really? I don't remember that. In Pittsburgh he was backing up Bell and averaged over 4 ypc is spot duty. I wouldn't call that being "a dud". Are you talking about when he started out in Tampa under Raheem Morris and Greg Schiano? I think everybody was a dud on that team under those two guys. Even in Tampa, he wasn't "a dud". He did average over 4 ypc in his first 2 years there.

Really? I don't remember that. In Pittsburgh he was backing up Bell and averaged over 4 ypc is spot duty. I wouldn't call that being "a dud". Are you talking about when he started out in Tampa under Raheem Morris and Greg Schiano? I think everybody was a dud on that team under those two guys. Even in Tampa, he wasn't "a dud". He did average over 4 ypc in his first 2 years there.

When a RB plays in 11 games and gets 266 total yards and 2 TD's. That's a dud.

The only time I would have wanted him on my FF team was last year and it wasn't his highest YPC year either.

Plus, that situational crap from NE to Phil that doesn't match up. Plus, him having to actually learn a new playbook. Plus, he doesn't catch the ball. Plus, he won't get as many goal line scoring opportunities. Look, there's a LOT to not like about him.

• Like 1

The only time I would have wanted him on my FF team was last year and it wasn't his highest YPC year either.

Plus, that situational crap from NE to Phil that doesn't match up. Plus, him having to actually learn a new playbook. Plus, he doesn't catch the ball. Plus, he won't get as many goal line scoring opportunities. Look, there's a LOT to not like about him.

Well, he was a backup that year. I don't think anyone expected him to do anything.

I'm not really sure who you think is going to get other goal line scoring opportunities in Philly. I see the Eagles having a solid OLine and no one else to really share the ball carrying duties other guys coming in for a play here and there. I see Blount getting 20+ carries per game in Philly. I see no reason why he can't average 4 ypc there.

Well, he was a backup that year. I don't think anyone expected him to do anything.

I'm not really sure who you think is going to get other goal line scoring opportunities in Philly. I see the Eagles having a solid OLine and no one else to really share the ball carrying duties other guys coming in for a play here and there. I see Blount getting 20+ carries per game in Philly. I see no reason why he can't average 4 ypc there.

You have him as a RB1 coming into this year? Not saying it can't happen, but that seems pretty bold.

You have him as a RB1 coming into this year? Not saying it can't happen, but that seems pretty bold.

RB2. Maulers is correct about Blount not being a pass catcher, but he will be the bell cow on a team that has a very good offensive line.

Never have bitten on Blount.

However, this year is different. He has little to no competition, will be the GL back, and can easily be a mid range RB2 at a RB3 price.

It's all about value, fellers.....and it's finally time for me to roll a blount.

• Like 1

I am an Eagles fan, and I will really be surprised if Blount puts up more than 1,100-1,200 yards and around 8 TDs. There's value for that kind of player but he seems like a really poor fit for a West Coast offense and NE to PHL is a huge situational downgrade.

and a lot of NFL teams agreed with you hence why he got very little interest from any teams. Pass as well,

Mathews got cut yesterday.

I am an Eagles fan, and I will really be surprised if Blount puts up more than 1,100-1,200 yards and around 8 TDs. There's value for that kind of player but he seems like a really poor fit for a West Coast offense and NE to PHL is a huge situational downgrade.

Ryan Matthews in 13 games last year only caught 13 passes (14 targets), as Sproles was the pass catcher. Sproles is still there and instead of handing the reigns over to Smallwood, Barner, or Marshall, the Eagles only went out and added Blount. The Eagles ran the ball average of about 24 times per game (from RB's), with an average of 4.3 ypc. If Blount gets 18 carries at that average (which I think he will... if not be better), you're looking at 77 yards per game - which translates to almost 1240 yards. So, lets cut his carries down to 15 and only 4 ypc, thats still 960 yards. To me, one is the ceiling, one is the floor. The average 1100 yards. Matthews, in his limited time, got 8 rushing TD's - in 155 attempts. You don't think that at 15 carries per game... 240 attempts over the season, Blount won't get at least 8 scores? Who do you think is going to get the TD's, yards, and attempts? Certainly Sproles will get his share, but one of Smallwood, Barner, or Marshall won't make the team... unless they bail on the draft pick. Even if the Eagles carry every RB (6 total), none of them are goal line caliber backs like Blount is. If you look at the year that Maulers claims that Blount was "a dud", he had 18 goal line carries... which is higher than what every other RB on the current Eagles roster (aside from Sproles)... combined... for their career. If you go career totals, then Blount's is higher than everyone's (including Sproles), combined... for their career's.

To me, I think 1100 yards and 12 TD's is a realistic possibility. That'll get him what, 182 fantasy points. I'd give him about 18 points worth of receiving production over the course of the season to hit the 200 point mark. That's a mid RB2 guy. I'll take him in RD 4 if I went with 2 WR's and a RB in my first 3 picks.

Ryan Matthews in 13 games last year only caught 13 passes (14 targets), as Sproles was the pass catcher. Sproles is still there and instead of handing the reigns over to Smallwood, Barner, or Marshall, the Eagles only went out and added Blount. The Eagles ran the ball average of about 24 times per game (from RB's), with an average of 4.3 ypc. If Blount gets 18 carries at that average (which I think he will... if not be better), you're looking at 77 yards per game - which translates to almost 1240 yards. So, lets cut his carries down to 15 and only 4 ypc, thats still 960 yards. To me, one is the ceiling, one is the floor. The average 1100 yards. Matthews, in his limited time, got 8 rushing TD's - in 155 attempts. You don't think that at 15 carries per game... 240 attempts over the season, Blount won't get at least 8 scores? Who do you think is going to get the TD's, yards, and attempts? Certainly Sproles will get his share, but one of Smallwood, Barner, or Marshall won't make the team... unless they bail on the draft pick. Even if the Eagles carry every RB (6 total), none of them are goal line caliber backs like Blount is. If you look at the year that Maulers claims that Blount was "a dud", he had 18 goal line carries... which is higher than what every other RB on the current Eagles roster (aside from Sproles)... combined... for their career. If you go career totals, then Blount's is higher than everyone's (including Sproles), combined... for their career's.

To me, I think 1100 yards and 12 TD's is a realistic possibility. That'll get him what, 182 fantasy points. I'd give him about 18 points worth of receiving production over the course of the season to hit the 200 point mark. That's a mid RB2 guy. I'll take him in RD 4 if I went with 2 WR's and a RB in my first 3 picks.

Are you saying he had 18 goal line carries and only scored 2 times that year. That's even worse!

No FB, and the eagles offense will be somewhat predictable to opposing defenses: Blount = run play vs Sproles = pass play.

I'm telling you, he won't average 4 ypc as an early downs runner when defenses stack the box. Maybe Wentz can work some play action magic and open things up, but I'd have to see it first. You're putting a lot of faith in a guy that has a LOT of obstacles in his way. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, he played in 11 games, but only had 65 carries, so that's 6 carries per game. A backup, so you can't call him a dud.

I'll take 1,100 yards and 8 TD's where Blount is going in drafts. That was my original point. Not saying he's gonna give RB1 stats at end of year, but is an incredible value pick where he's going in drafts.

To me....perfect flex guy, especially with his TD upside each week.

Are you saying he had 18 goal line carries and only scored 2 times that year. That's even worse!

No FB, and the eagles offense will be somewhat predictable to opposing defenses: Blount = run play vs Sproles = pass play.

I'm telling you, he won't average 4 ypc as an early downs runner when defenses stack the box. Maybe Wentz can work some play action magic and open things up, but I'd have to see it first. You're putting a lot of faith in a guy that has a LOT of obstacles in his way. That's all I'm saying.

Then don't take him. I'm not telling you that you have to. I'm fine with him in the 4th or 5th round as an RB2.

Then don't take him. I'm not telling you that you have to. I'm fine with him in the 4th or 5th round as an RB2.

I wouldn't want him as my RB2. Flex would be ok. I do feel Smallwood will be more involved. And no FB makes a big impact.

If you take him in the 4th or 5th as your RB2 he has to perform and as has been stated there are a lot of reasons why he won't perform.

Middling talent player with td reliant scoring going from the best team in the league to a different situation. Classic FF trap if there ever was one. He's a dart throw weekly flex to me, nothing more.

Middling talent player with td reliant scoring going from the best team in the league to a different situation. Classic FF trap if there ever was one. He's a dart throw weekly flex to me, nothing more.

It's only a "trap" if you're delusional enough to think he's still going to put up last year's production again this year and draft him in the first couple rounds, which nobody is doing. Some of you act like the "Pro-Blount" crowd think he's an RB1. We don't. I personally will be targeting him as my flex, not as my RB2, and hoping for RB2-level production.

That's actually not true. Blount has always been a talented player, but his head always seemed to get in the way. The facts are that the Eagles have a better offensive line than the Patriots and a heck of a lot less options. The only difference between him and a guy like Melvin Gordon is that Blount won't get the receiving numbers.

That's actually not true. Blount has always been a talented player, but his head always seemed to get in the way. The facts are that the Eagles have a better offensive line than the Patriots and a heck of a lot less options. The only difference between him and a guy like Melvin Gordon is that Blount won't get the receiving numbers.

It's interesting how you seem to look at these things from your own iron clad perspective. Like you get ideas about someone and then just fixate on them like they are fact. You can't even comprehend that you could be wrong.

Be open to others ideas. Join the discussion and welcome others points of view.

As an example: I was very high on AP. After joining the discussion, and opening my mind I recognized that others were offering some fairly solid insights that I hadn't fully considered. Thus, I've adjusted my own valuation of him. Try it, you might like it.

• Like 2

Some of you act like the "Pro-Blount" crowd think he's an RB1.

I've seen a few 1200 yard, 8+ TD projections. In standard leagues that gives him at least 170ish points. Last year that would have made him RB12. RB 12 = RB 1.

It's interesting how you seem to look at these things from your own iron clad perspective. Like you get ideas about someone and then just fixate on them like they are fact. You can't even comprehend that you could be wrong.

Be open to others ideas. Join the discussion and welcome others points of view.

As an example: I was very high on AP. After joining the discussion, and opening my mind I recognized that others were offering some fairly solid insights that I hadn't fully considered. Thus, I've adjusted my own valuation of him. Try it, you might like it.

LOL... I never said I was right. I'm giving my opinion based on the information available. The information available is this...

+ Blount used to be a knucklehead (as a Buccaneers fan, that was common knowledge), who was a talented player.

+ Because he couldn't get his head out of his rear, he struggled and the Bucs let him go.

+ He went to New England where he found success

+ Left to go to Pittsburgh and was a backup and played "well".

+ Went back to New England and was awesome

+ Left to go to Philly

-- Philly has a better offensive line

-- Philly has a more predictable game plan

-- Philly has less of a threat to his playing time

Above are facts... not opinions. The following are my opinions based on the facts presented.

+ Blount should get the ball 16-18 times (virtually every touch will be a hand off)

+ Blount has the talent behind that line to get 4+ ypc just like almost every RB last year.

+ With that work load, that should get him 1100 yards (or more).

+ He's a goal line type back who should see almost every carry inside the 5, so there isn't likely to be a TD vulture on the team.

+ Because of the facts listed earlier and my opinions above, the analysis I've come up with is a solid RB2 who should get 1100 yards and double digit TD's.

I never said that this is what will happen, just an opinion based on the information available. Also, I never said you were wrong, I simply said I don't agree with you and I your concerns don't concern me because the Eagles OLine is really good and Blount is a talented player.

• Like 1

I've seen a few 1200 yard, 8+ TD projections. In standard leagues that gives him at least 170ish points. Last year that would have made him RB12. RB 12 = RB 1.

If you're in a standard league, then yes, I'd project Blount to be a low end RB1. I'm not. I play in all PPR's. To me, he's a mid-to-low end RB2.

I have him ranked as the 30th-ish RB (RB3) off the board at this point. He'll be 31 in December. He's coming off his best year as a pro which are the kind of players I try to stay away from unless they're top talent guys....which Blount is not. He only averaged 3.88 yards/carry on a team with a high powered passing attack and again that's 3.88 yards/carry in a year that was his best as a pro. I'll let others take him this year....hopefully that'll make me look smart at year's end.

<p>You've ignored a few facts:<br />

<br />

1. He ran behind a FB last year and wont this year</p><br />

2. He went 2 for 18 on GL opportunities with Pitt that had a good offensive line<<br />

3. He's learning a new system which based on your proclamation that he can be a knucklehead makes me believe he's no lock to secure 15-16 touches a game.<br />

4. He'll turn 31 this season which is the wrong side of 30.<br />

<br />

Plus: ;I found this little nuggett on Number Fire;</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"<a href="https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/52579/legarrette-blount-underwhelming-at-eagles-camp">https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/52579/legarrette-blount-underwhelming-at-eagles-camp</a>"><a href="https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/52579/legarrette-blount-underwhelming-at-eagles-camp">https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/52579/legarrette-blount-underwhelming-at-eagles-camp</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>and this one:</<br />

<br />

<a href="http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-legarrette-blount-20170817.html">http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-legarrette-blount-20170817.html</a><<br />

<br />

Maybe we're both wrong.  lol<br />

<br />

I don't trust him. </p>