Sign in to follow this  
mcintypw

Keeper Auction Strategy

In a keeper auction league, can keep three players and have to pay espn prices if I wish to keep them. Got me thinking, are taking the highest valued players always the best idea? Is a strategy to potentially take lower prices players and then pay up for the ones you want?

Example - I have:

Ajayi = $38

Isaiah Crowell = $28

Willy Snead = $7

A.J. Green = $47

Bilal Powell = $15

Traditionally I should take Ajayi, Crowell and Green, which is $113 out of my $200 budget. All are decent and expected to do well. But I could take Snead (not amazing but not bad at $7), Crowell, and Powell, pay $50 and have $150 to spend on a rookie RB or go after Ajayi/Green if I want them.

Any thoughts as to best strategy? I guess the downside is will I end up paying more for those players I gave up (or similar caliber) compared to espn pricing.

Standard scoring 12 team league.

In a keeper auction league, can keep three players and have to pay espn prices if I wish to keep them. Got me thinking, are taking the highest valued players always the best idea? Is a strategy to potentially take lower prices players and then pay up for the ones you want?

Example - I have:

Ajayi = $38

Isaiah Crowell = $28

Willy Snead = $7

A.J. Green = $47

Bilal Powell = $15

Traditionally I should take Ajayi, Crowell and Green, which is $113 out of my $200 budget. All are decent and expected to do well. But I could take Snead (not amazing but not bad at $7), Crowell, and Powell, pay $50 and have $150 to spend on a rookie RB or go after Ajayi/Green if I want them.

Any thoughts as to best strategy? I guess the downside is will I end up paying more for those players I gave up (or similar caliber) compared to espn pricing.

Standard scoring 12 team league.

This is tough and to a large degree, it's a know your league thing.

If you think you can get your player for less at auction than the cost of keeping them, you should throw the fish back in the pond (so to speak)

Ajayi and Crowell appear to be priced on the high end of the range I'd call reasonable.

Snead appears seems reasonable relative to what I think he will do.

Green Does not.

I'd be very hesitant to spend that kind of money on him. You may be better off sending him to the auction block and bidding on him.

I'd say WRs and rbs are at a premium. It's a keeper so rookies are overvalued. Agreed aj may be gotten lower but probably not much less. The issue is what's left after keepers. If I don't keep him he will be by far the best player on the board. So he could go way more. But then I spent 81 on Powell, ajayi, and Crowell. And have a good amount left on some good players.

Definitely complicated.

you know what, I ran some numbers and Ajayi isnt as bad as I thought in terms of fantasy points vs price. Still on the high end of the acceptable range.

Given what you said about your league, I may consider doing a flip flop on my opinion. It may be best to keep him.

Ideally he is a $32-34 player, but payign the extra 3-5 bucks for a little security isnt a terrible thing.

but given the large number of good rookies coming, you may want to spend a few dollars on the top rookies. There may be more value there (more risk, but likely more value)

but that also is league dependent. My league loves bidding on the hot rookies so the value isnt there nearly so much for me. In fact, this years draft has so many big time rookies, that a lot of good RB's who would normally be protected have been left available. So I have some interesting choices to make.

Agreed! In a $200 value league (standard scoring), last year Elliot went for like 120, it was insane.

Probably see the similar for a couple of the other rookies, maybe some value in some of the rbbc situations that could materialize.

Ended up just doing AJ, Crowell and Ajayi. Ends up being $113 of my $200, but solidified three key positions with decent players with upside. Espn seems to have inflated numbers too, but if they are, then everyone is in the same boat with any keeper.

Agreed! In a $200 value league (standard scoring), last year Elliot went for like 120, it was insane.

Probably see the similar for a couple of the other rookies, maybe some value in some of the rbbc situations that could materialize.

Ended up just doing AJ, Crowell and Ajayi. Ends up being $113 of my $200, but solidified three key positions with decent players with upside. Espn seems to have inflated numbers too, but if they are, then everyone is in the same boat with any keeper.

Elliot was a special case. running behind the best line in football and a complete skillset?

very few RB's get thrown into a perfect situation like Zeke did last year.

I wouldnt expect anyone to pay that kinda dough for any of the rookies. $70-80 would still be too much but I could see someone paying it.

Keeper league Auction 4 years contracts

Brady $34 was suspended for him cheap

DAK $7 picked him up in FA

Bell- $16 Bought low after his 3.5 rookie year

McCoy $34 drafted him

Henery $12 drafted still waiting for this to pay off

Odell $ 13 picked up his rookie year when he was on Ir

Cooper-$13 drafted rookie year

Mixion $10 rookie pick (trades Graham,IFert,Big Ben,Ware)

Cap is $250 I have about $109 to spend do I add 2 stars or do I add a bunch of depth.

I could grab Hilton,Dez,Gronk,Lynch,Cook,Thomas $40 is what these guys will go for or I can just grab a bunch of 10-15 dollar guys? Like Meritdth,Moncrief,Wallace,Cobb type guys. What strategy would you go with.

Keeper league Auction 4 years contracts

Brady $34 was suspended for him cheap

DAK $7 picked him up in FA

Bell- $16 Bought low after his 3.5 rookie year

McCoy $34 drafted him

Henery $12 drafted still waiting for this to pay off

Odell $ 13 picked up his rookie year when he was on Ir

Cooper-$13 drafted rookie year

Mixion $10 rookie pick (trades Graham,IFert,Big Ben,Ware)

Cap is $250 I have about $109 to spend do I add 2 stars or do I add a bunch of depth.

I could grab Hilton,Dez,Gronk,Lynch,Cook,Thomas $40 is what these guys will go for or I can just grab a bunch of 10-15 dollar guys? Like Meritdth,Moncrief,Wallace,Cobb type guys. What strategy would you go with.

with what you got, you should probably swing for the fences. One top WR and maybe not Gronk but someone like Kelce or Rudolph(less risk of injury). After that go for depth You will have enough cash left over.

But right now is primarily the time to go for it.

So we start a flex and the teams that do well get a solid rb2 for a flex. So goal here is to have three solid rb starters.

So have $83 Left. Any people I should target with remaining? Assume most top 10 wr/rbs are gone by now but some are still there like the michael thomas or baldwin types. Obviously rookie Rbs are there and most people after miller in ff rb rankings (minus doug martin and t west).

with what you got, you should probably swing for the fences. One top WR and maybe not Gronk but someone like Kelce or Rudolph(less risk of injury). After that go for depth You will have enough cash left over.

But right now is primarily the time to go for it.

That how I feel. I believe I can grab one of the big 3 Dez,Hilton,Gronk and Grab myself a solid back like Martin then just sit back and wait and start taking players $5-10 range off my ranking sheet that should go for more.

If You can keep less than 3, I would on a 200 $ budget. I would keep W Snead, and I would consider Bilal Powell, although Powell could go for 18-22, or He could go for just 8-12. Keeping Snead and throwing the rest back would be My strategy. Obviously, I like AJ Green, but I could see AJ going for a little bit less