Sign in to follow this  
Dicks Sporting Goods Sales Sink After New Gun Policy...

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/dicks-sporting-goods-sales-sink-after-new-gun-policy/

Dicks Sporting Goods has suffered a surprisingly steep downturn in sales since promising to sell fewer guns, but the problem isnt the gun sales, Fortune says.

Stock tumbled to the lowest in four months after the sports store banned assault-style weapons from its Field & Stream stores and raised the minimum age for a customer to buy a firearm from 18 to 21.

However, the store has also suffered problems with overstocking and high discounts, as well as increased competition from places like Nike and Amazon.

After the Parkland school shooting last month that killed 17, Dicks executives were aghast to learn that the young gunman had bought one of his many guns from them, though not the one he used in the shooting.

As a sign of solidarity with the student protesters calling for gun control laws, Dicks announced it would no longer sell assault-style firearms and high-capacity magazines.

The athletic gear company instituted a similar ban after the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting but rescinded it a few months later and returned to selling assault weapons. This time the ban is permanent, Dicks says.

Thoughts and prayers are not enough, the company said in a statement. We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem thats in front of us.

Theres going to be some pushback and we expected that, said CEO Edward Stack, in an earnings call with Wall Street analysts, according to CNN. There are going to be the people who dont shop us anymore for anything.

The decision is not going to be positive from a traffic standpoint and a sales standpoint, Stack predicted.

The companys shares fell 7.3 percent after going up 13 percent this year. Sales failed to hit the projected $2.74 billion, tapering off at $2.66 billion for this quarter.

Dicks still plans to open 19 new stores this year and hopes it will boost their brand.

:lol:

Could have told them that...

Stock tumbled to the lowest in four months after the sports store banned assault-style weapons from its Field & Stream stores and raised the minimum age for a customer to buy a firearm from 18 to 21.

D!ck's stock was trading at $29.87 on February 5th and is now trading at $33.26. At no point since the Parkland shooting did it close below $31. HTH.

D!ck's stock was trading at $29.87 on February 5th and is now trading at $33.26. HTH.

embarrassing

some top notch fake news they got there

So? That makes no actual difference to the company

That's debatable, but I never said it did. The article said their "Stock tumbled to the lowest in four months". That's not true.

D!ck's stock was trading at $29.87 on February 5th and is now trading at $33.26. At no point since the Parkland shooting did it close below $31. HTH.

the national review, another bunch of hacks that I can ignore.

• Like 1

Well, that clears things up nicely.

Doh!!! Evil Libruhl facts!!!😭😭😭😭

That's debatable, but I never said it did. The article said their "Stock tumbled to the lowest in four months". That's not true.

The fact that you actually have to beat them over the head and explain that is just tragic and typical

Why did you pick Feb 5th?

Why did you pick Feb 5th?

That was the actual low from the last four months.

That was the actual low from the last four months.

Wouldn't it just be better to show what the price was right before they announced their new gun policy?

Wouldn't it just be better to show what the price was right before they announced their new gun policy?

What I did was plenty to show that the quoted line was a massive piece of fake news. If you want to research it further knock yourself out. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

's sales are limp after gun ban

Bad policy when you tell the majority of your customers you disagree with them.

Keep politics out of it and just sell merchadise.

This is fine example of a lemming ignoring all evidence that this is a blatant slant piece with outright lies in it.

This is fine example of a lemming ignoring all evidence that this is a blatant slant piece with outright lies in it.

My assertion is that D!ck's customers are predominantly white, middle class who like sports particularly hunting and fishing. That segment of the population believes in owning firearms.

Where am I wrong?

My assertion is that D!ck's customers are predominantly white, middle class who like sports particularly hunting and fishing. That segment of the population believes in owning firearms.

Where am I wrong?

And they still sell firearms. Just not high capacity mags and assault weapons. And not below 21.

Good for them. And anyone who has a problem with their decision is a hack.

Of course, the reason they did it is they dont want the bad press when the next school shooter has a dicks receipt and shopping bag for this AR on him.

Where am I wrong?

You are completely wrong, Dic.ks is a story for yuppies that work out in the gym or for parents of kids in sports. It is a place to buy workout clothes, bikes, running shoes, baseball bats, etc.

The fishing gear at Di.cks is awful. Almost everything they carry there is cheap and ill-suited for local fisherman. I am much better off shopping at the local wal-mart or even a gas station located down on the coast than at dic.ks. This may sound like an exaggeration but i can assure you it is not. There is a Buc-ee's gas station located in freeport, texas that sells top of the line gear and has a selection of offshore fishing equipment.

I was pretty excited when a dic.ks opened up close to my house last year, but the store is completely worthless.

You are completely wrong, Dic.ks is a story for yuppies that work out in the gym or for parents of kids in sports. It is a place to buy workout clothes, bikes, running shoes, baseball bats, etc.

The fishing gear at Di.cks is awful. Almost everything they carry there is cheap and ill-suited for local fisherman. I am much better off shopping at the local wal-mart or even a gas station located down on the coast than at dic.ks. This may sound like an exaggeration but i can assure you it is not. There is a Buc-ee's gas station located in freeport, texas that sells top of the line gear and has a selection of offshore fishing equipment.

I was pretty excited when a dic.ks opened up close to my house last year, but the store is completely worthless.

You should go to one in the south. They focking love the store. Academy too.

DIcks owns field and stream as their hunting and fishing stores. Dicks sporting goods is not marketed to hunters and fishermen

You should go to one in the south. They focking love the store. Academy too.

I live in Texas near the coast. The specific Dic.ks near my house is supposedly geared towards fishing because it is so close to the gulf coast. They offer hardly anything useful to the local fishermen. I go there once a month just to see if they will start improving, but so far that has not been the case.

Academy offers a slightly better selection and I do shop there regularly, the problem is that they need to cater to bass fishermen, inshore fishermen, and offshore fishermen. There selection of offshore fishing gear is not good and their inshore fishing selection is adequate. But the great thing about Academy is if they do sell an item it is almost always the cheapest place to buy that item locally.

DIcks owns field and stream as their hunting and fishing stores. Dicks sporting goods is not marketed to hunters and fishermen

Field and stream is better. They offer a better offshore selection than either Bass Pro shop or Academy and it is not even close. There inshore and bass section is as good as Academy or bass pro shop as well.

The problem is the closest one is a 40 minute drive from my house.

Where am I wrong?

Your assertion is fine on it own, but its in a thread that tries to claim that 's stock price has plunged since they changed their policy, which it hasn't, is pushing false narrative. You want the story to be true, so you ran with it. lemming.

Bingo - least the one here is... 's is a place the yuppie crowd doesn't mind dropping $100 for any kind of workout shirt that says Under Armor or Nike.

They own Golf Galaxy too.

Agreed on their fishing selection. Its awful.

Your assertion is fine on it own, but its in a thread that tries to claim that ######'s stock price has plunged since they changed their policy, which it hasn't, is pushing false narrative. You want the story to be true, so you ran with it. lemming.

New to FF?

Your assertion is fine on it own, but its in a thread that tries to claim that ######'s stock price has plunged since they changed their policy, which it hasn't, is pushing false narrative. You want the story to be true, so you ran with it. lemming.

A piece of advice: don't waste your time trying to discuss politics with any of these people (on either side). Think of it this way...if you saw two autistic kids yelling at each other over which brand of paste tastes better, would you bother trying to convince them that they are both wrong for eating paste in the first place?

A piece of advice: don't waste your time trying to discuss politics with any of these people (on either side). Think of it this way...if you saw two autistic kids yelling at each other over which brand of paste tastes better, would you bother trying to convince them that they are both wrong for eating paste in the first place?

:lol:

Elmer's

http://www.thepizzle.net/schools-out-for-summer-the-glue-stick-taste-test/

######'s Sporting Goods shares jumped 23 percent at the market's open Wednesday after it beat fiscal first-quarter expectations and hiked its full-year earnings forecast, easing concerns that restrictions it placed on gun purchases would hurt its sales.

:dunno:

I was shocked

Why would one go to d1cks anyway? for what?

Bingo - least the one here is... ######'s is a place the yuppie crowd doesn't mind dropping $100 for any kind of workout shirt that says Under Armor or Nike.

They own Golf Galaxy too.

Bingo....

Here in Fort Worth....Academy caters to the hillbilly, hunting, and fishing crowds............Whereas I end up at Dicks about twice a month to hit a few drivers on the launch monitor, before buying golf balls and spending too much on workout clothes and old man things like massage rollers/elbow braces......To be honest, I was only maybe 65% confident in saying they even had guns, as they are in the far back of the store, unlike Academy which makes sure you can't miss them.

And they still sell firearms. Just not high capacity mags and assault weapons. And not below 21.

Good for them. And anyone who has a problem with their decision is a hack.

Of course, the reason they did it is they dont want the bad press when the next school shooter has a dicks receipt and shopping bag for this AR on him.

Funny thing I was killing time and waking around at d!cks, yes, they dont have ar 15s, but some of the weapons they kept are much more lethal than an AR 15

Funny thing I was killing time and waking around at d!cks, yes, they dont have ar 15s, but some of the weapons they kept are much more lethal than an AR 15

How do you determine the lethality of a gun?