Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

****The Official Seattle Seahawks Offseason Thread 2014****

Great stuff as usual Phillybear. I see offensive line, TE and WR as our top three picks, but we really have the luxury of best pick available or trading down for extra picks. They can't seem to nail the first rounders anyways :shocking: .

I think Rice, and Clemons are cap casualties. We probably will have to pick between Mebane and Bryant to clear up some room to sign Bennet, would love to see him come back but not sure we can afford him, he was dominant in the playoffs. I think Bennet really cashes in. Can't see how we can let Bryant go, we need an oversized DE to anchor against the run and still provide some pass rush and while he is slipping that skillset seems hard to find. Maybe I am wrong on that though.

We really need to improve the Offensive line, the truth is the superbowl is going to be played out 2/3 times a year in the NFC between San Francisco and Seattle and their front seven owned our offensive line in the NFC championship game. We had to bring in a sixth offensive lineman in the second half just to hold up. Even though we have already spent a ton of high picks on the offensive line in recent years, I still think this is where our first rounder should be used.

I like the tandem of Miller/Wilson at TE with another development project behind them. Hope Miller restructures his contract or we have to spend an early pick here.

If we can count on a full of season from Harvin :dunno: , then Baldwin/Kearse round out the WR corp with another development prospect. Would love to see our second rounder used here. I really don't like Tate, he had a great year this year and showed some real chemistry with Wilson but he sucked for the first three years he was here. I don't like that he just showed up in a contract year, he's small, and isn't a burner like Harvin. I will grudgingly admit he makes great route adjustments but I think we can do better.

Tate actually started to show up last year, but I mostly agree. I'll miss him more returning punts than as a receiver.

I'm on board with all you guys too. I'd like to keep him, but Baldwin is so much more important than Tate is. Especially with the emergance of Kearse and a healthy Harvin.

Just going over my fantasy notes quickly. It sems like this is a bad year for FA wr's. Decker,Maclin,Edelman and Tate seem to be the upper tier guys. Could very well be a repeat of last year with Mike Wallace. Supply and demand wise, those guys could get bigger contracts than their worth. And this is a deep year imo for the wr draft class.

Tate could very well become unaffordable even with a hometown discount. If it comes to this, you let him walk to keep Baldwin, and draft a wr.

Just going over my fantasy notes quickly. It sems like this is a bad year for FA wr's. Decker,Maclin,Edelman and Tate seem to be the upper tier guys. Could very well be a repeat of last year with Mike Wallace. Supply and demand wise, those guys could get bigger contracts than their worth. And this is a deep year imo for the wr draft class.

Tate could very well become unaffordable even with a hometown discount. If it comes to this, you let him walk to keep Baldwin, and draft a wr.

I love Golden Tate and would love to have him back but he is not worth over-paying, especially with all the WR talent in this year's draft and as you said a healthy Harvin next year. JS & PC will not overpay. What will also be interesting to me is to see how this FO values Breno Giacomini. I really think he shoudbe brought back but again at the right price. If they let him walk that tells me they are ready to roll with both Bowie and Bailey who showed great promise last year but neither strikes me as the enforcer Breno is.

I agree with you guy's. Bring back Tate only if it's a really good deal. We must think about Thomas, Sherman, and R.Wilson and be sure to bring back those 3 no matter what.

I think we are plug and play at WR...... I mean Kearse looked the best of all of them many times this year. R. Wilson will spread it around so well that it doesn't matter who they are. But, P. Harvin is the hopefull to take over #1 and is really similar to Tate anyway.

I like Baldwin's fire and knack of getting open. But, Tate was doing that also at times and usually went against the #1 corner.
He did dissapear in the playoff's though. None of them including Harvin are deal breakers for us.

I think it's all about the money if we get Tate back. He's nice to have (punt return and blocking mainly) but other priorities for sure.

I think Z. Miller is more of a priority. And IF we lose him, TE really becomes #1 issue to me. And that would mean first round pick there unless there is somebody else on the market.

P.S. - I REALLY like this new WR signing. Big guy with hands and some speed. Had some impressive numbers. Very interesting.

S. Rice = Gone.

Tate = Probably gone

Baldwin = I think he'll be back

Kearse = He might end up being our best WR of everybody, if not already.

Harvin = Hopefully our #1 and stays healthy.

I'd like to bring in a tall rookie with speed in the draft.

That D-line is going to be total churn.

Cliff Avril is coming back.

Does anyone expect Chris Clemons not to be cut?

Michael Bennett is gone. He's put out a high price tag and we can't afford 10 million a year for him. Thanks for the year.

Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane are veteran leaders and good players but make too much money on their contracts.

Tony McDaniel and Clinton McDonald could walk away if anybody out there paying attention gives them a decent contract.

The two rookies Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams were hurt.

O'Brien Schofield is getting no buzz.

Word is that when Clemons is cut, they move Bruce Irvin back to DE to his spot. This way they start KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Malcolm Smith, their best LBs, and use Irvin as a situation pass rusher, not using him on rushing downs because they seem to have some depth at D-line now, or will depending on how things shake out.

Also, stupid rumor is Tate is possibly going to resign for 4 years, 24 million. Too much. Don't like. Even if it's backloaded.

That D-line is going to be total churn.

Cliff Avril is coming back.

Does anyone expect Chris Clemons not to be cut?

Michael Bennett is gone. He's put out a high price tag and we can't afford 10 million a year for him. Thanks for the year.

Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane are veteran leaders and good players but make too much money on their contracts.

Tony McDaniel and Clinton McDonald could walk away if anybody out there paying attention gives them a decent contract.

The two rookies Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams were hurt.

O'Brien Schofield is getting no buzz.

Word is that when Clemons is cut, they move Bruce Irvin back to DE to his spot. This way they start KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Malcolm Smith, their best LBs, and use Irvin as a situation pass rusher, not using him on rushing downs because they seem to have some depth at D-line now, or will depending on how things shake out.

Also, stupid rumor is Tate is possibly going to resign for 4 years, 24 million. Too much. Don't like. Even if it's backloaded.

I expect Clemons to be cut. He has had a spectacular run in Seattle, we got more than 30 sacks in three years of service, and all we gave up was Darryl Tapp and I think a 7th rounder or something. But he generates more of a cap savings than anyone else on the roster, per Field Gulls, and he is on the wrong side of 30.

I think we franchise Bennett if he is indeed asking for $10M plus. I don't recall how much a franchised DE would get (actually this might depend on whether they would franchise him as a DE or as a DT, the cap impact is probably different) but he was the most disruptive guy on that DL for much of the season. Unless the average of top 5 contracts at his position would imply that he'd be getting $10m or so anyway, in which case, yeah, let someone else double his salary, plow the savings into restructurings for Earl and for Sherm.

I think Bryant is gone, too much money for a two-down guy. Who we would get to replace him is an open question. Jesse Williams? That might be asking a lot.

I don't see why we should like the concept of Irvin moving back to DE. It didn't work well the first time. He did fine at OLB, not great, but fine. If there's a hole to fill at DE, I would rather plug the hole with another free agent addition if possible. Maybe I've been spoiled by PC and JS seemingly finding under-30 fill-ins at key spots like they grow on trees.

I say we tender Baldwin as a 2nd rounder, which in this draft is probably enough to scare away teams from going after him. This draft is rich in high quality WRs. At least one of them should fall to us at the bottom of the first round. For the same reason I would be willing to cut bait on Mr. Tate if his asking price is in the $6M range that you're suggesting.

Good news. The salary cap went up 7mil this year. Was 123mil last year and will be at 130 now. This is essentially a free contract in my book.

Also, I havn't heard anything on a Tate deal yet. My hope would be with a hometown discount. That we would've been in the 5 year 20 mil area which I would be fine with. 4 for 24 just seems like too much for me when we still have to pay Baldwin.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/02/20/schneider-says-franchise-tag-use-unlikely-bennett-a-priority/

Regarding the draft, Schneider noted his aversion to need-based selections: “We’re not going to have this player, so we have to draft this position? I think that’s where you get in trouble. Any of the draft rooms I’ve ever been in, the biggest mistakes you make are when you [draft based on position scarcity].”

Look, the people that have been visiting these threads for the past 11 years know how passionate I am to best value on the board. Is it an accident that when finally we bring in a GM that feels the same way, we win a Super Bowl rather quickly? For the grief that I give the front office, it's because I'm a perfectionist. I do believe we have one the finest front offices in NFL football. It's criminal John Schneider hasn't won GM of the year.

Good news. The salary cap went up 7mil this year. Was 123mil last year and will be at 130 now. This is essentially a free contract in my book.

Also, I havn't heard anything on a Tate deal yet. My hope would be with a hometown discount. That we would've been in the 5 year 20 mil area which I would be fine with. 4 for 24 just seems like too much for me when we still have to pay Baldwin.

Here's a great breakdown on our cap:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2014/2/19/5426432/seahawks-2014-salary-cap-projections-including-nfl-draft-free-agency

I think we franchise Bennett if he is indeed asking for $10M plus.

JS stated he will not franchise Michael Bennett.

Classy move if JS stands by his words, which I would expect. Thats the kind of thing free agents will take notice of even if we can't resign Bennett.

Take a short "prove me" contract here and if we cant get you a long term deal we won't prevent you from getting one either.

If we franchised Michael Bennett, it would cost more than 10 million this season, and you couldn't get the cap relief a signing bonus provides. It would be a bad move.

If we franchised Michael Bennett, it would cost more than 10 million this season, and you couldn't get the cap relief a signing bonus provides. It would be a bad move.

Then he's gone. A shame, but I like the discipline to stay true to the philosophy and build the best team they can for as long as they can.

I did add the caveat that if franchising the guy would imply a contract north of $10m anyway, which PB is saying it would be, then I agree it's not a good idea.

I got a feeling Bennett won't be back guys. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyone think Hauschka gets a franchise?

Also, the more I'm reading on this CFL kid, the more intrigued I am. Good ridence Ricardo Lockett (I can't stand that guy)

Anyone think Hauschka gets a franchise?

If I remember the numbers correctly, he was making around a million this year, but if you franchise him, you would bump him up to 3 million, which is a sharp bump up in pay. Hey, I think he's the cat's pajamas, but Pete doesn't trust him to attempt 50+ yard FGs. Hey, we all know Russell Wilson threw the TD to Kearse on 4th in the 4th Q vs SF in the NFC title game, but Pete called timeout when he reconsidered allowing Hauschka to attempt a long FG. Do you give him a franchise money deal when the coach doesn't trust him. And it's not one game. In the past two seasons, think back, when he have 4th down and a chance at a 52 yard FG, do we kick it or do we punt? I'd say we punt it 90% of the time. That being said, Hauschka must have pumped steroids into his leg this year because his kickoffs were much deeper. But we still don't attempt long FGs.

I did add the caveat that if franchising the guy would imply a contract north of $10m anyway, which PB is saying it would be, then I agree it's not a good idea.

It's possible that we get Bennett back because he is so good in this defense but may not be as effective in other defensive systems. Therefore he may not be the guy other teams are willing to break the bank for. I mean he was available last year and there was relatively no market for him.

If I remember the numbers correctly, he was making around a million this year, but if you franchise him, you would bump him up to 3 million, which is a sharp bump up in pay. Hey, I think he's the cat's pajamas, but Pete doesn't trust him to attempt 50+ yard FGs. Hey, we all know Russell Wilson threw the TD to Kearse on 4th in the 4th Q vs SF in the NFC title game, but Pete called timeout when he reconsidered allowing Hauschka to attempt a long FG. Do you give him a franchise money deal when the coach doesn't trust him. And it's not one game. In the past two seasons, think back, when he have 4th down and a chance at a 52 yard FG, do we kick it or do we punt? I'd say we punt it 90% of the time. That being said, Hauschka must have pumped steroids into his leg this year because his kickoffs were much deeper. But we still don't attempt long FGs.

Exactly. If he leaves, he leaves. No way I franchise him.

First shoe drops: Adios Sidney Rice :(

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

Well, it's not like we are being caught by surprise by anything thus far in the preseason.

Rice is arguably, well argued by me anyway, the 2nd most talented WR on the roster. He just can't stay healthy. Too bad. If he doesn't come back in some capacity, I'd bet he goes to New England.

It's possible that we get Bennett back because he is so good in this defense but may not be as effective in other defensive systems. Therefore he may not be the guy other teams are willing to break the bank for. I mean he was available last year and there was relatively no market for him.

I think a lot of teams see that he played inside, he played inside, he was generally very effective either way. They'll think he's not scheme-dependent, and he has that musky Super Bowl scent all over him. Somebody will pay the man what he's asking for, and let's face it, he earned it.

The Seahawks defense was on the field for 69 snaps in the Super Bowl. Here are the guys who took more than 50% of them:

FS Thomas (69)

CB Maxwell (69)

MLB Wagner (66)_

SS Chancellor (61)

CB Sherman (55) - presumably would have played more except for late-game injury

CB Thurmond (51)

OLB Wright (50)

DT Bennett (47)

DE Clemons (46)

DT McDonald (45)

DE Avril (41)

I put a strikethrough on the ones I think will not be around next season. If we let Clemons and Bennett test the free agency waters, and we lose them, we'll get some nice cap savings with which to re-sign McDonald, re-sign Sherm, new deal for Earl, etc..Thurmond played well and I love him as a nickel corner, but he historically has been injury prone and probably replaceable in the draft. Besides, if Tharold Simon comes back from injury, he could step into that role.

It's also noteworthy that none of the front four guys played more than about 70% of the snaps, meaning, we rotated in a lot of the second unit guys for a decent number of snaps too. I feel like having a deep bench is pretty important to the style of play that JS and PC want to play, which also means we can't allocate too many dollars to one guy or else the depth won't be up to snuff.

I think with what Philly heard about Tate, and now Rice's release. Even though that was expected. I'd say this probably resigns Tate sometime this week before FA starts.

It's just a wild connection on my part though.

Word, I could stomach Tate leaving but would be pissed to see Baldwin go. With the cap going up and the money they can save cutting guys I think we have a good shot at retaining Golden.

Looks like Red Bryant is next on the chopping block. Again not really a huge surprise.

Looks like Red Bryant is next on the chopping block. Again not really a huge surprise.

He's got a roster bonus due in mid March, so it's going to have to happen sooner rather than later. He was a leader, but he plays less than 50% of defensive snaps, and he frequently gets injured. Sad to see him go, but his contract is way too rich to keep this core of the team intact.

On the other hand, this keeps the possibility of resigning Michael Bennett alive.

Chris Clemons is probably the next shoe to fall.

• Like 1

This is a solid signing. Not only is this guy the natural replacement for Sidney Rice and our new tall WR, a bit of a background on the CFL, a sport I love to follow and watch.

2012, when this kid excelled, Winnipeg was easily the worst passing team in the league. Dead last. In a wide open passing league, they completed around 59% of passes, threw for 16 TDs and 23 INTs in 18 regular season games, 4500 yards, and their leading QBs were Joe Elliot (from Purdue University) and Alex Brink (from Washington St University), a couple of poor to mediocre NCAA college QBs that really sucked it up in the CFL. And this Matthews kid still put up numbers. Impressive.

He's got a roster bonus due in mid March, so it's going to have to happen sooner rather than later. He was a leader, but he plays less than 50% of defensive snaps, and he frequently gets injured. Sad to see him go, but his contract is way too rich to keep this core of the team intact.

On the other hand, this keeps the possibility of resigning Michael Bennett alive.

Red is one of he last Ruskell guys on the team. He might be back at a discount. He's married to Jacob Green's daughter so I imagine that might help keep him at a lower contract.

This is a solid signing. Not only is this guy the natural replacement for Sidney Rice and our new tall WR, a bit of a background on the CFL, a sport I love to follow and watch.

2012, when this kid excelled, Winnipeg was easily the worst passing team in the league. Dead last. In a wide open passing league, they completed around 59% of passes, threw for 16 TDs and 23 INTs in 18 regular season games, 4500 yards, and their leading QBs were Joe Elliot (from Purdue University) and Alex Brink (from Washington St University), a couple of poor to mediocre NCAA college QBs that really sucked it up in the CFL. And this Matthews kid still put up numbers. Impressive.

Like I said earlier. The more I read on him, the more excited I get to see him in camp.

I have no issues what so ever with a 5 deep of Harvin,Tate,Baldwin,Kearse and Matthews. Of course Matthews has to work out, and Kearse has to not regress any, he stook a huge step foward this past year.

If my money is correct. Rice is a 7 and a half mil save. Bryant is a 5 and a half mil save. And Clemmons would be another 7 mil.

If my money is correct. Rice is a 7 and a half mil save. Bryant is a 5 and a half mil save. And Clemmons would be another 7 mil.

Throw in a Zach Miller restructure and we can probably lock up Sherm, ET, and Tate.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24455137/jim-harbaughs-relationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

Jim Harbaugh's relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC Championship Game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this offseason, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.

:lol:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24455137/jim-harbaughs-relationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

Jim Harbaugh's relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC Championship Game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this offseason, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.

:lol:

The Seahawks are destroyers of organizations. We blew them up on the field and now it has carried over off the field. We ruined that organization. :clap: :overhead:

The Seahawks are destroyers of organizations. We blew them up on the field and now it has carried over off the field. We ruined that organization. :clap: :overhead:

Let's not get carried away here. Harbaugh almost immediately turned that team around after the Mike Singletary debacle. But, he's a hard-charging guy and I guess he doesn't know how to throttle back with anyone, no matter how powerful they are. Maybe the 3rd straight season of close but no cigar was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd still rather he go join an AFC team.

Let's not get carried away here. Harbaugh almost immediately turned that team around after the Mike Singletary debacle. But, he's a hard-charging guy and I guess he doesn't know how to throttle back with anyone, no matter how powerful they are. Maybe the 3rd straight season of close but no cigar was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd still rather he go join an AFC team.

It's not a recipe for sustainable success over any kind of period of time. I'd say that one of the most important ingredients to the success of the Seahawks is the way the coaching staff and front office and ownership are all completely on the same page and get along so well in every aspect, especially Pete Carroll and John Schneider. Just think back to the history of the franchise and all the infighting. Just all the recent stuff with guys like Ruskell, and Holmgren, and Whitsitt,

He's as good as gone. These rifts never end well.