Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Panther WRs

thats the whole point. Panthers still need to draft someone but you can't go into the season with a raw rookie and Jerricho Cotchery. Signing Austin and Britt would be the best combination of cost effectiveness and upside. I don't know what Austin would command on the market but everything i have read about Britt indicates he should likely get no more than a very cheap 1 year deal to 'prove it'. Britt is now another year removed from major surgery and with a guy like that, I would think $$ would be a great motivator. a 1 year deal might just bring out the best in him.

admittedly i know less about Austins current health and potential contract demands. but assuming healthy he seems like he would be a very good compliment to Britt

if not for the proximity to NYC and his old stomping grounds, I would LOVE for the Jets to take a cheap shot on Britt. See if he can play opposite Decker with Kerley in the slot. Could free them up to look at TE or CB in round 1. However, I think there would be just too many distractions/temptations.

Panthers have ~5M in cap space, so Britt & Austin might be what they can get at this point and keep a little spare cash for random stuff.

Of course, these players are cheap for good reasons. If the Panthers find out that those two are both done during pre season (I say 50% for Britt and 70% chance Austin is done) the Panthers could also end up back where they are now & with fewer alternative choices left ..

If I was the GM I'd sign at least one more 'safe' choice. Maybe not someone with huge upside, but someone you can rely on to be a solid ... then sign Britt. Trouble is, I don't see anyone left who really fits that. Of course they cut someone who did ...

Interesting article about 'savings' by cutting Smith & grabbing Cotchery: http://overthecap.com/replacement-cost-panthers-wr-steve-smith/

Trouble is, I don't see anyone left who really fits that. Of course they cut someone who did ...

Santonio Holmes was fine last year in the two or three games he was healthy despite having Geno tossing the ball.

holmes will likely ask for more $ than austin and i see little difference. on one hand you have a bigger injury risk but a quality locker room guy and on the other hand you have some injury risk and a locker room cancer.

Britt makes too much sense here so im sure they won't get a deal done with him. Even if you want to show me a 'safer' option than Miles austin, the upside on Britt is too great to not try a 1 year low $ deal.

im sure i'll get laughed at for saying this but Britt is the best WR of this free agent class. the reason is simple. He offers the highest upside, im talking top 10 type upside that he already flashed, for some of the lowest risk. any deal for him will be cheap with incentives. Hes only 25....

though it seems he may be headed to STL

im sure i'll get laughed at for saying this but Britt is the best WR of this free agent class. the reason is simple. He offers the highest upside, im talking top 10 type upside that he already flashed, for some of the lowest risk. any deal for him will be cheap with incentives. Hes only 25....

You're spot on. None of the others have close to the upside, which he has displayed at times, that Britt has.

Looks like the Panthers are going to bring in Jason Avant on Monday. :sleep:

Guess they are going to just plug in some players this year with the tight cap space.

Avant looked done last year but his teammates absolutely live him and he's a great leader and mentor to young players. He has no business playing a lot of snaps but you could do a lot worse as a 4-5 cheap vet to fill out the roster.

Glad he found a team.

Looks like they did sign Avant to a 1 year deal. Likely something minimal, but I don't see any contract #'s posted.

If they draft WR in rounds 2 & 4 or something, I agree that Jason is a positive guy to have around to mentor & fill in the cracks.

Overall the Panthers have accumulated a few #3/4 guys without any clear cut starting quality receivers. I'm still very curious to see how heavily they will rely on the rooks & how that will work out with Cam.

Looks like they did sign Avant to a 1 year deal. Likely something minimal, but I don't see any contract #'s posted.

If they draft WR in rounds 2 & 4 or something, I agree that Jason is a positive guy to have around to mentor & fill in the cracks.

Overall the Panthers have accumulated a few #3/4 guys without any clear cut starting quality receivers. I'm still very curious to see how heavily they will rely on the rooks & how that will work out with Cam.

It definitely didnt help out brady last year.

They probably intend to draft their WR1 and WR2. It will be interesting to see who they land. Keep in mind, WRs need time to develop.

Agreed. It's not a bad plan .. if you want to peak in a few years down the road. However, the fans likely think the time is now, after last year's record.

DeAngelo Williams didn't seem too happy today (but he might not be here to peak in a few years): http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/10/deangelo-williams-panthers-stacked-boxes/

“Not only did we get rid of (Smith), (we got rid of) Ted Ginn Jr., Brandon LaFell and (Domenik) Hixon,” Williams said, via NFL.com. “You talk about Steve but I talk about all four of them, because those are three potential guys — Steve,Brandon LaFell and Ted Ginn – that can stretch the field … and Hixon was a possession receiver that came in and moved the chains for us.”

“I don’t have any concerns so to speak,” he said. “I just don’t want to see eight, nine guys in the box week in and week out because we’re working on our timing.”

Sadly, the' Steve Smith Will Never Get Old' plan didn't work out after all. Who'da thunk it?

Doesn't seem like much changed here in the draft.

Benjamin is no lock solid future success and the Panthercats got no other WRs in the draft.

So:

Benjamin

King

McNutt

Cotchery

Avant

Underwood

Pilares

Clemons

Lucas

Berins

Plus these two UDFA's:

Corey Brown WR Ohio State
Marcus Lucas WR Missouri

Doesn't seem like much changed here in the draft.

Benjamin is no lock solid future success and the Panthercats got no other WRs in the draft.

So:

Benjamin

King

McNutt

Cotchery

Avant

Underwood

Pilares

Clemons

Lucas

Berins

Plus these two UDFA's:

Corey Brown WR Ohio State

Marcus Lucas WR Missouri

If fantasy football had a Punter position, I'd take the Panthers Punter early.

• Like 1

as a Panther homer, i'm not too concerned.

Sure, losing Smitty hurts - but IMO that's more because of who he is, what he's done in his career and how involved he is in the Charlotte community.

However, he only had like 65/750 last year - put together any combination of Avant, Cotchery and Underwood and they have as good if not better stats than Smitty did. And all three of them were part time #3 WRs at best on their respective teams.

Plus Olsen was the leading WR w/ 70+ recs - and he's coming back.

Sure, i don't like the idea of listing any of their current WRs as the number one, but the fact is the Panthers aren't reliant on offense to win, their defense was one of the top Ds in the league last year and they've improved their roster on the D side.

Am i a little peeved CAR didn't make a trade for Stevie Johnson for a future fourth? Heck yeah... but i understand they are trying to build a team of young players around Cam, and they feel they can get by this year with what they have. Gettleman is trying to build a team with long-term stability, that can perform consistently year after year. Though i do believe he thinks last year was more of luck and situation than CAR just being that good. Having NO, TB, and ATL all having down years really padded their stats.

So if they can go 10-6 this year (or even 9-7 for the first back-to-back winning seasons in team history) i think it's considered a good year. They've added guys that could develop into future starters, and by 2015 they'll be out of the ridiculous cap mess that Marty Hurney created; including finally being able to afford cutting DWil and Stewart. To me, that's the goal.

• Like 1

as a Panther homer, i'm not too concerned.

Sure, losing Smitty hurts - but IMO that's more because of who he is, what he's done in his career and how involved he is in the Charlotte community.

However, he only had like 65/750 last year - put together any combination of Avant, Cotchery and Underwood and they have as good if not better stats than Smitty did. And all three of them were part time #3 WRs at best on their respective teams.

Plus Olsen was the leading WR w/ 70+ recs - and he's coming back.

Sure, i don't like the idea of listing any of their current WRs as the number one, but the fact is the Panthers aren't reliant on offense to win, their defense was one of the top Ds in the league last year and they've improved their roster on the D side.

Am i a little peeved CAR didn't make a trade for Stevie Johnson for a future fourth? Heck yeah... but i understand they are trying to build a team of young players around Cam, and they feel they can get by this year with what they have. Gettleman is trying to build a team with long-term stability, that can perform consistently year after year. Though i do believe he thinks last year was more of luck and situation than CAR just being that good. Having NO, TB, and ATL all having down years really padded their stats.

So if they can go 10-6 this year (or even 9-7 for the first back-to-back winning seasons in team history) i think it's considered a good year. They've added guys that could develop into future starters, and by 2015 they'll be out of the ridiculous cap mess that Marty Hurney created; including finally being able to afford cutting DWil and Stewart. To me, that's the goal.

I really think this is one of the mosty interesting offseasons to watch, the Carolina WR situation.

First off, I think Olsen will be a top 6 TE this year, he got the most in CAR last year and this year he will get more.

Secondly, I hear you on SS but I cannot tell you how glad I am that he is gone as a Saints fan. That is one player from the division I truly wish had been with the Saints and would have been a great fit here.

And I cannot count the times just in general how many times I have seen SS save Newton from the fire (and other CAR QBs). The way he goes and gets the ball is really elite. I think his leaving is a big deal from an on-field perspective, and even considering the decline with the age/years. Newton has never had another WR1, SS has been his go-to guy, he will be missed.

And then there's Benjamin. He has opportunity but I am not sure the output will be there. Aside from Olsen I don't think there's any real FF value here, but like I said I think it's interesting. I think King and Underwood both have the skills to emerge if Benjamin does not step up. This will be in flux though and I think one of these CAR WRs will be an in-season pickup for bye week WR3 purposes, just waiting to see who.