Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Cardinals sign Antonio Cromartie for 1 year, $3.25M

When free agency started 10 days ago, cornerback Antonio Cromartie's phone didn't ring much. And when you're expecting calls, silence is perplexing.

Maybe it was Cromartie's age; he turns 30 next month. Or his health; he played through a hip injury much of last season. Cromartie insists he doesn't care now.

On Thursday, he signed a one-year deal with the Cardinals and sounded as if he could not have been happier about it.

"I'm so happy that the Arizona Cardinals organization took interest in me, made me feel at home," he said. "Made me feel like I was wanted. I'm very thrilled and happy to be where I'm sitting at right now."

Cromartie, an eight-year veteran, didn't receive the riches that elite free agent corners expect in free agency.

He will make at least $3.25 million in 2014 and can earn another $500,000 if he plays in every game. That's under the market value for a cornerback who has made three Pro Bowls, including in each of the past two years with the Jets.

The Jets cut Cromartie earlier this month to save $9.5 million of cap space.

The Cardinals apparently were the only team that brought Cromartie in for a visit. He reportedly was interested in re-signing with the Jets, too, but the interest wasn't reciprocated.

Cromartie visited the Cardinals last week, then left town. The Cardinals brought another cornerback, Mike Jenkins, in for a visit this week, something that probably helped prompt Cromartie to sign.

"My selling point to him and his agent (Ben Dogra) were the fact that if you're going to some degree, resurrect your career, why not do it at a place where you feel like you have a top five defense, you have a team that's going to feature you on a island?" General Manager Steve Keim said. "So your ability to create stats … is beneficial to you. I just felt like it was a great fit."

It also helped that Cardinals secondary coach Kevin Ross coached Cromartie with the Chargers. The Cardinals felt they had a good read on Cromartie's personality, and Ross' presence was reassuring to Cromartie.

If Cromartie has recovered fully from a hip ailment, his addition gives the Cardinals a formidable secondary. He is expected to start opposite Patrick Peterson, a Pro Bowl cornerback the past two years. Jerraud Powers and Tyrann Mathieu could play the nickel cornerback position.

The Cardinals' medical staff cleared Cromartie, who said he has been working out with no problems.

"On my visit, it was like I've been here for two or three years already," Cromartie said. "It's motivation to be part of a team that's right where it needs to be, a team that's committed to winning and also a team that's right on the edge of being a Super Bowl champion team.

"I'm a veteran guy going into my ninth year, and that's what you look for."

With Cromartie (6-feet-2, 210 pounds) and Peterson (6-1, 219), the Cardinals have two strong, physical cornerbacks who can play the style of defense coordinator Todd Bowles prefers.

"I just know this: The type of defense that we want to play, which is a pressure defense, corners on an island … he is a really good fit for us," Keim said.

Peterson apparently was excited about the news. Soon after the Cromartie deal was announced, Peterson tweeted: "It's about to be trouble, trouble, trouble."

In his introductory news conference, Cromartie was asked several times about playing with Peterson. Each time, Cromartie emphasized that the Cardinals have a trio, not just a duo, of elite players.

"You can't leave out Tyrann (Mathieu), either," Cromartie said, referring to the team's nickel cornerback. "You have three guys who can put a lot of pressure on the offensive side of the ball to make offensive coordinators and head coaches think about where they want to throw the ball."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/03/20/cardinals-agree-to-terms-with-antonio-cromartie/6654789/

If he is over his hip injury, the combo of Peterson, Cromartie, and Mathieu will be formidable. As a Cards fan, I love the signing.

Their defense is going to be even better this season. They have their 2nd round pick from last year to replace Dansby and now this. They've upgraded their return game and the offensive line will not only get back their stud rookie, but a left tackle, which they haven't had in years. I really like this team heading into 2014. Their coaching staff needs to get more credit. Arians is one of the best offensive minds in the games and that defense played very well.... They will compete for the Division Title.

Their defense is going to be even better this season. They have their 2nd round pick from last year to replace Dansby and now this. They've upgraded their return game and the offensive line will not only get back their stud rookie, but a left tackle, which they haven't had in years. I really like this team heading into 2014. Their coaching staff needs to get more credit. Arians is one of the best offensive minds in the games and that defense played very well.... They will compete for the Division Title.

Too bad Carson Palmer is their QB. He is the only reason they are not one of the favorites to win.

Nice low-risk/high-reward signing. I'm surprised he didn't drum up a little more interest in free agency, the way CBs flew off the market this off-season

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/03/20/cardinals-agree-to-terms-with-antonio-cromartie/6654789/

If he is over his hip injury, the combo of Peterson, Cromartie, and Mathieu will be formidable. As a Cards fan, I love the signing.

amen . no question this is a very good move for the cards .

It's a shame that Washington's status is up in the air. That would really solidify things.

The RB tandem of Ellington and Taylor is going to make people take notice as well.