Sign in to follow this  
LunaTick

Future of College Football

There are currently 3 legal cases that will affect the future of college athletics.

One case seeks to unionize the students.

One case seeks to disperse royalties of those players featured on shirts/games/etc with the player

One case seeks to alter the how these students are compensated.

The affect of these cases will likely alter the college scene.

When, depending upon how the matters are addressed in courts and then in congress, is unknown.

Of these, I think that Unionization is most unlikely to happen and most likely to implode the whole damn thing.

Most likely to trigger about 1,000 educational institutions to walkaway from the whole student athletic thing.

As the costs would likley impair any benefit of having any sports to continue on their campus.

Don't worry, there only needs to be about 32 to 64 schools to keep the racket going to entertain the masses. Which means fewer cinderalls and no worries about expanding the big dance in March.

A lot is made about how much revenue is received.

A lot is unknown how these revenues are spent and dispersed.

Most have no clue how quickly a whole bleep load of money can be spent in no time.

All of this stated misses one central point. At the end of the day, these universities are centers for education.

Politically speaking, athletics are a luxury and not a necessity for them. If their existence is no longer a benefit of these institutions, they will not only be tossed out, but jettison.

HERE IS THE THING: The issue here really only affects 2 Sports. Basketball and Football.

What will likely happen?

Most of these student athletes participated in sports or in a division where the entire compensation issue really isn't justifiable. Toss into this the complexities of Title 9, State funding etc. And that the issue is primarily centered about 2 sports. Basketball and Football. Baseball and Hockey already have mechanisms in place providing these students opportunities outside of academics. At the moment, sports like Golf, Track, Soccer, LaCrosse, Bowling really are not a factor yet.

So what the solution will invariably involve is somehow introducing the Baseball/Hockey draft model into Basketball and Football.

However, neither the NFL nor the NBA has a real farm system at the moment.

Sure there is Arena Football, Candadian Football, and some Semi Pro teams

Likewise the NBA has a Developmental League.

Neither of these operates or beneifts the major league team in the same was as they do for Hockey and Basketall.

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT

It is really about a few. A few people that have a shot at all of playing a sport, that has a league. Wherein the compensation for participating is greater than a scholarship.

There about 128 FBS teams that can offer 85 scholarships and 124 FCS teams that can offer 65 scholarships.

Put this in perspective, the NFL draft is 32 teams, 7 rounds with some supplemental picks. Or approximately 250 players drafted. Which is about a single player from each of these institutions going to the NFL. (really most of these institutions would be thrilled just to have someone walkon an NFL team and be there through the 4th preseason game).

SO THEN WHAT

IMO, these athletes have to remain student athletes.

But I think the following will have to occur.

1. Rules IRS uses to determine if a Contract Worker vs Employee would apply. therefore, the 50 hour a week training session will be no more. Player will have to set their own schedule. Coaches cannot "influence" these hours.

2. Compensation will still be mainly about tuition. I could see this being an option. Scholarship and no cash - or - Case and pay your own tuition.

3. relaxing of the employment rules, but still regulated.

4. Disability provisions will be added. Both health and tuition riders. (I think this is where booster cash can be used).

HOW TO COMPENSATE THE FEW?

This is where a draft could help. If drafted, and as part of the leagues collective bargaining,

The player to receive additional monies on a scale. More time in college, more pay. More starting time, more pay.

Any marketing rights of the player would be through this same league mechanism.

No guarantees of making the pro league team.

No guarantees of being compensated by the pro team throughout. (if they drop you, can be drafted after college, like is done now).

RANT OUT.

(really surprised is not being discussed here at all)

The unionization was being discussed at the geek board. The other legal disputes havent gotten much publicity that i have seen.

I am for the unionization. Now i dont want this turning into a massive money grab for the players, but i felt something extreme needed to be done in order to get the schools attention. They need some sort of medical expense coverage from the schools. One tool on here suggested Obamacare should be suitable coverage (most of us know he is a troll anyway).

The biggest problem will be the inexperience of the students governing this union if it does form. They may see the dollar signs and get greedy, i really hope this doesnt happen. Since there are so many schools that do not receive anywhere near the profit of the big schools this situation is very delicate.

Still, there is a lot of money being made on the backs of these students. Something needs to be done about fair compensation.

The biggest issue is going to be the Workers Compensation benefits the schools will have to pay. I work in insurance and the cost of this alone will prohibit many of the small schools from remaining in the NCAA. First, no Insurance Carrier wants to write Workers Comp as it is, especially not a monoline policy covering a sports team. The "tail" on these claims can reach 30 to 40 years. Second, with all that is known about concussions and brain injuries resulting from football, a team-wide policy is likely to cost in the mulit millions of dollars and come at a VERY steep price, including a new helmet of some type, more doctors on staff, regular check ups for the players (likely after each game), and rule changes on the field. This is the one business segment Insurance Carriers have been burned on for years. There are still court battles going on today from Lead and Asbestos cases from the 40's and 50's. Those Claims run as high as $100 million and the Carriers often lose, especially if it is a class action suit. So, the policy for a college team would likely be written in Surplus Lines (non-standard) and the school would be shelling out millions each year.

Will a small school who is currently generating $3 to $5 million in profit from their football team still be interested? I doubt it.

An individual policy would not work. If they Unionize, or form some other type of agreement, they will be mandated by law (Federal) to have this coverage. Keep in mind someone who has a history of concussions, or possibly more than just one, would probably be excluded from the coverage. The other thing is the drug testing.... We all know many of these athletes use Steroids or HGH. An Insurance Carrier providing this coverage, with this risk, is going to require mandatory random testing and it will likely be a blood test, not the common urine sample. What will that do to the sport?

Personally, I think the insurance cost alone will cut the number of schools in the NCAA in half. You can't pass that cost on to the student. They would choose not to play unless their parents are wealthy. Even a high profile school making $30 million off their football program is going to lose a ton of money on insurance alone. The only way to make any of that money back is to pass the cost on to the consumer. Bring on the $19 beers.

Since colleges act as the defacto minor leagues for FB and BB it makes sense that eventually the participants would want a piece of the pie. Scholarships are pay imo, but I would like to see insurance and tuition riders written into the deal in case of injury. Coaches ability to slave drive the athletes should also be scaled back. In the ideal world the NCAA would also be gutted and much of their power revoked. While I don't think any union should be formed I could see a players association brought into existence to lobby for causes. Any revenue made from the usage of player faces, voices, appearances should be split 50/50 school/player. I do agree if this stuff becomes a reality many schools will just drop sports altogether, but that would probably be better for educational purposes.

When discussing unionization, it's important to keep in mind that the Northwestern students won because that is a private institution. That's at the crux of their argument: that the school is a private business, not funded by the public, and that it's largest revenues come from certain sports. As structured, the ruling affects a very small number of schools as they pertain to big time D1 athletics, but the competitive edge it would provide them would be staggering. The ability to legally pay that highly sought recruit, when nobody else in your conference can do the same (ie USC) would be insurmountable.

I guarantee that AD's would be lining up to write those checks. People act as if the financial compensation is going to be equal across sports. It won't even be equal within a sport. The kid who is projected to be an ok OL is not going to be smoking cigars and throwing money overhead like Scrooge McDuck. He's going to be the same schlub as always.

I noticed someone reference workmen's comp, and that's a good point. It's exactly where those revenues that Texas A&M made selling Manziel's #d jersey should go. Apparel, likenesses, etc split down the middle, but not between school and player. Split goes to the fund that helps to sustain this system.

• Like 1

I hear about the suits, for KFAN barriero has on an attorney about once a week.

In the last 6 months, they have talked about them. The NW issue with Unions, a California suite dealing with likeness issues and licensing products, and a third.

Union issue has moved or will to an appeals to the main labor review board. As this board is appointed by Obama administration. Would they rule against. Perhaps, but how would the AFL CIO react to tihs?

Licensing Issue: the judge has the parties trying to resolve this out of court. But the NCAA position is to not bend. Either as a delay until they have a better idea or in hopds that a knight will come in to save their hides.

Employee Issue / Unionization:

For me this has greater negativity and raised the uncertainty of future outcomes beyond comprehension.

1. how do you restrict "tenure" to 4 years of eligibility. - See U of MN basketballs Trevor Mbakwe getting a 6th season of eligibility.

2, how do you require educational requirements.

3. how does this not devolve into an industry unto itself?

Beyond all of this, does Title 9 become become replaced with Equal Employment rules?

Plenty of examples greedy college kids racing to a pay day in basketball.

All of this for a few tens of athletes over the interests of the many thousands.

Is shameful.

The students are fairly compensated to the tune of 50K+ a year. The debate will wage about how intrusive the colleges/ncaa can be on their lives. It will also wage on how the schools can profit directly on their likeness without compensation.

Compensating them more for playing football is off the table.

If they do become "employees", it will be death to women's college sports (save basketball) and they will be subject to all of the rules of the other employees of the college.

The students are fairly compensated to the tune of 50K+ a year. The debate will wage about how intrusive the colleges/ncaa can be on their lives. It will also wage on how the schools can profit directly on their likeness without compensation.

Compensating them more for playing football is off the table.

If they do become "employees", it will be death to women's college sports (save basketball) and they will be subject to all of the rules of the other employees of the college.

I wouldnt want womens sports to become extinct, but maybe everyone realizes putting their games on television is kind of a waste. Who really watches that stuff? Womens basketball is just flat out boring.

All I'm going to add here is please don't eliminate Women's College Volleyball. Unionize, pay people, do whatever.... Don't get rid of the reason spandex was invented. : )

I wouldnt want womens sports to become extinct, but maybe everyone realizes putting their games on television is kind of a waste. Who really watches that stuff? Womens basketball is just flat out boring.

I agree, but basketball is big enough to survive even if it runs a deficit. Lacrosse, Field Hockey, etc would be reduced to club sports. Soccer has a shot to stay significant with the help of donations and sponsorship. Not being forced to hand out 85 women's scholarships every year would save Men's Baseball.

Would someone mind explaining this all to me a little more? I'm not as big of a college sports fan as I am pro and all the legal stuff with this has me completely lost.

Would someone mind explaining this all to me a little more? I'm not as big of a college sports fan as I am pro and all the legal stuff with this has me completely lost.

Well the suit northwestern has going is about them unionizing. Not sure of the exact things they want, but one of them is to have medical costs covered by a team for a sports related injury. They also want some sort of entitlement for revenue. They want a part of the money that gets brought in from a jersey with their name on it.

The royalties is part of a different suit i believe, but they do want part of the revenue

Well the suit northwestern has going is about them unionizing. Not sure of the exact things they want, but one of them is to have medical costs covered by a team for a sports related injury. They also want some sort of entitlement for revenue. They want a part of the money that gets brought in from a jersey with their name on it.

The royalties is part of a different suit i believe, but they do want part of the revenue

I thought it was regarding not losing a scholarship if they git hurt and cut? Guaranteed opportunity to pursue the education they are supposed to be getting as student athletes. I am good with that ideal.

There are currently 3 legal cases that will affect the future of college athletics.

One case seeks to unionize the students.

One case seeks to disperse royalties of those players featured on shirts/games/etc with the player

One case seeks to alter the how these students are compensated.

The affect of these cases will likely alter the college scene.

When, depending upon how the matters are addressed in courts and then in congress, is unknown.

Of these, I think that Unionization is most unlikely to happen and most likely to implode the whole damn thing.

Most likely to trigger about 1,000 educational institutions to walkaway from the whole student athletic thing.

As the costs would likley impair any benefit of having any sports to continue on their campus.

Don't worry, there only needs to be about 32 to 64 schools to keep the racket going to entertain the masses. Which means fewer cinderalls and no worries about expanding the big dance in March.

A lot is made about how much revenue is received.

A lot is unknown how these revenues are spent and dispersed.

Most have no clue how quickly a whole bleep load of money can be spent in no time.

All of this stated misses one central point. At the end of the day, these universities are centers for education.

Politically speaking, athletics are a luxury and not a necessity for them. If their existence is no longer a benefit of these institutions, they will not only be tossed out, but jettison.

HERE IS THE THING: The issue here really only affects 2 Sports. Basketball and Football.

What will likely happen?

Most of these student athletes participated in sports or in a division where the entire compensation issue really isn't justifiable. Toss into this the complexities of Title 9, State funding etc. And that the issue is primarily centered about 2 sports. Basketball and Football. Baseball and Hockey already have mechanisms in place providing these students opportunities outside of academics. At the moment, sports like Golf, Track, Soccer, LaCrosse, Bowling really are not a factor yet.

So what the solution will invariably involve is somehow introducing the Baseball/Hockey draft model into Basketball and Football.

However, neither the NFL nor the NBA has a real farm system at the moment.

Sure there is Arena Football, Candadian Football, and some Semi Pro teams

Likewise the NBA has a Developmental League.

Neither of these operates or beneifts the major league team in the same was as they do for Hockey and Basketall.

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT

It is really about a few. A few people that have a shot at all of playing a sport, that has a league. Wherein the compensation for participating is greater than a scholarship.

There about 128 FBS teams that can offer 85 scholarships and 124 FCS teams that can offer 65 scholarships.

Put this in perspective, the NFL draft is 32 teams, 7 rounds with some supplemental picks. Or approximately 250 players drafted. Which is about a single player from each of these institutions going to the NFL. (really most of these institutions would be thrilled just to have someone walkon an NFL team and be there through the 4th preseason game).

SO THEN WHAT

IMO, these athletes have to remain student athletes.

But I think the following will have to occur.

1. Rules IRS uses to determine if a Contract Worker vs Employee would apply. therefore, the 50 hour a week training session will be no more. Player will have to set their own schedule. Coaches cannot "influence" these hours.

2. Compensation will still be mainly about tuition. I could see this being an option. Scholarship and no cash - or - Case and pay your own tuition.

3. relaxing of the employment rules, but still regulated.

4. Disability provisions will be added. Both health and tuition riders. (I think this is where booster cash can be used).

HOW TO COMPENSATE THE FEW?

This is where a draft could help. If drafted, and as part of the leagues collective bargaining,

The player to receive additional monies on a scale. More time in college, more pay. More starting time, more pay.

Any marketing rights of the player would be through this same league mechanism.

No guarantees of making the pro league team.

No guarantees of being compensated by the pro team throughout. (if they drop you, can be drafted after college, like is done now).

RANT OUT.

(really surprised is not being discussed here at all)

wow