Sign in to follow this  
yupper

Consideration when setting lineups

Ive been playing fantasy for about 10 years and I found that after 10 years that Im good at drafting players but terrible at setting my lineup. I probably over analyze the hell out of it. Im curious what others weigh more important when setting a lineup. Does matchup weigh the most? Or, Never bench your studs? I find it hard when you have a good amount of depth and have to sit guys that you value. Example, I benched Sanders last night in favor of Ingram based on rankings along, and now I have 32 points on my bench. I get that some weeks guys will have good weeks in your bench but in a game of guessing what can I do to help myself try and make the right educated guess? Any insight is valuable and I appreciate any and all of your responses!! Thanks!

Matchups and player strength (studs) are the most important. Id say matchups are less important, people only like to say they are worth more than they are. In reality there are too many variables that go into every decision to make it predictable. Go with your gut or the gut of someone you trust that watches and knows a lot of football. Lean towards the best player in the best offense when you cant decide. Lean towards teams with better QBs. Good QB means more first downs means more plays means more chances for your guy.

Last decider would be Vegas score totals, lean towards higher scoring game total. More points, more action, more chances.

Matchups are very important to me when setting my line ups.

Matchups and player strength (studs) are the most important. Id say matchups are less important, people only like to say they are worth more than they are. In reality there are too many variables that go into every decision to make it predictable. Go with your gut or the gut of someone you trust that watches and knows a lot of football. Lean towards the best player in the best offense when you cant decide. Lean towards teams with better QBs. Good QB means more first downs means more plays means more chances for your guy.

Last decider would be Vegas score totals, lean towards higher scoring game total. More points, more action, more chances.

This is a good point, because the Vegas line is a good indicator. Vegas isn't wrong very often.

This has been on of my better seasons thus far, I've left very few points on the board. Sometimes its actually a result of a good draft. I had a team one year that was loaded top to bottom. Problem was, every week I chose several wrong players. I got so sick of it I started making trades, mostly 2 for 1, for premium players. It made my lineup choices a lot easier and I ended up with the best team I've ever had in 15 yrs of fantasy football (still didn't make the playoffs though).

Bottom line is, don't overthink it and don't spend too much time on it. We like to believe we can control the outcomes, but this thing we do is mostly lucky/educated guessing.

I go with my gut alone for the first few weeks. However, at about this point in the season, we finally have enough weeks under our belts for matchup strengths to actually be worthwhile, so I will use them to make decisions between 2nd tier players.

Secondarily, I will always ride a hot streak until it crashed to earth.