Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

G-Men: P-L-E-A-S-E don't pull a "Browns"-type move ..

Noone in the world is saying that Joe Flacco is a HOF candidate. They are just saying that Eli is not either because they have similar stats.

If you want to use passing yardage in a year and number of touchdowns in a year as how to measure a HOF QB, then let's compare Eli to Brees:

Manning:

7 years over 4000 yards (including 3 or 4 that are under 4100 - so just barely over 4000)

7 years over 25 TDs (only 1 year higher than 30)

4 pro bowls

Brees:

12 years over 4300 yards (5 of those over 5000)

12 years over 25 TDs (9 years over 30 and 2 over 40)

11 pro bowls

There is your difference between HOF and not HOF

THIS time 1 billion

Noone in the world is saying that Joe Flacco is a HOF candidate. They are just saying that Eli is not either because they have similar career stats.

If you want to use passing yardage in a year and number of touchdowns in a year as how to measure a HOF QB, then let's compare Eli to Brees:

Manning:

7 years over 4000 yards (including 3 or 4 that are under 4100 - so just barely over 4000)

4 pro bowls

Brees:

11 pro bowls

There is the difference between HOF and not HOF. And there are many more stats that can be thrown out there about these two that will say the same.

This time two Billon.

I dont disagree that Brees is better, but I do think that Eli has enough stats and as won two Super Bowls too be voted into the HOF.

Thanks for the reply.

This time two Billon.

I dont disagree that Brees is better, but I do think that Eli has enough stats and as won two Super Bowls too be voted into the HOF.

Thanks for the reply.

Well then, if we all see that significant of a drop off from one QB to another same era QB, and they both get into the HOF, then it makes me wonder why they even have a HOF. Brees and Manning are light years apart in talent. That's like the difference between LeVeon Bell and James Stewart.

Well then, if we all see that significant of a drop off from one QB to another same era QB, and they both get into the HOF, then it makes me wonder why they even have a HOF. Brees and Manning are light years apart in talent. That's like the difference between LeVeon Bell and James Stewart.

Again I don’t disagree.

Just because Brees and Brady and mmm big Manning are diffently better players, that doesn’t mean Eli won’t make it.

I think he has enough under his belt too make it.

And I think the HOF voters will also.

Hey thanks.

Great reply.

Dalton's history IS facts, they're not made up. I'm simply setting up a scenery where an average QB, whom we all know is average, can compile a career similar to Eli's.

Basically, you're only standard for a Hall of Fame worthy QB is an average QB who can stay healthy and compile a certain number of yards and touchdowns where his y/a, completion pct, and interception total is irrelevant. Yes, Eli won 2 super bowls, one to which he was carried to - make no mistake about that, but Flacco accomplished the same thing. Just that his name isn't "Manning", nor did be play in NY (Dallas, Pittsburgh, or Green Bay).

The bottom line is, the only people who think that Eli "DESERVES" to be in the Hall of Fame are his family members, Giants fans, and people who think that Super Bowls are the only measure of greatness.

You bring up that he plays in NY as a factor. I assume there must be other NY Giant players in the HOF who aren't deserving. Who?

You bring up that he plays in NY as a factor. I assume there must be other NY Giant players in the HOF who aren't deserving. Who?

Well, that's not really my point ("...other NY Giant players in the HOF who aren't deserving"). Aside from Namath (being a NY player), there isn't any others that I know of. My point is that it's a major market and/or rich NFL history... it's why I also included Dallas, Green Bay, and Pittsburgh.

Eli was CLUTCH when the Giants had that monster defense. In fact he is the most clutch QB of all time.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

Flacco was more impressive in his super bowl post season, and his team had to score a lot of points to win their super bowl.

For the year you are talking about, Manning had 9 post season TDs and 1 interception with only 1 passing TD in the super bowl. Tom Brady was held in check.

Flacco had 11 post season TDs and 0 interceptions in their big year with 3 TDs passing and 0 interceptions with the team giving up 31 points in their super bowl.

And they both had very nearly the same careers the rest of the time..

There is a serious real comparison of the two careers. If Manning get's in, it's is not because of any talent on his part other than being average on a team with a very good def. Flacco was more clutch.

Eli was CLUTCH when the Giants had that monster defense. In fact he is the most clutch QB of all time.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

Nice Pull! I had forgotten all about that piece. I don't think HOF voters really pay attention to that kind of stuff, but Its nice to know one of the Rock Stars of the analytics movement hold Eli in such high regard...

Nice Pull! I had forgotten all about that piece. I don't think HOF voters really pay attention to that kind of stuff, but Its nice to know one of the Rock Stars of the analytics movement hold Eli in such high regard...

Yeah, the rock star needed a million words to overlook that the teams eli played on were better than him. Football WAR is complete garbage. In baseball it's somewhat justifiable. In the NFL, there is no way to calculate that accurately without having personal likes and dislikes of a player. Even if an analyst is neutral, it doesn't work. At all. This is a terrible article to use as an argument.

They actually look into the whole picture. Eli has the record for most fourth quarter TD's in a season, the year he carried the 25th ranked defense and the 32 (last) ranked running game to a title. And beat a couple of HOF QB's in the playoffs. Plus an overtime game in the NFC championship on the road. Might be the most clutch season in NFL history

Clutch is not sucking all game and throwing a 4th quarter ball that some wr makes a crazy circus catch on a 3rd down. In a game that your defense gave up only 14 points.

And he has been so clutch that he will end his career under .500 most likely.

Seriously, just compare him with good QBs.

They actually look into the whole picture. Eli has the record for most fourth quarter TD's in a season, the year he carried the 25th ranked defense and the 32 (last) ranked running game to a title. And beat a couple of HOF QB's in the playoffs. Plus an overtime game in the NFC championship on the road. Might be the most clutch season in NFL history

That indeed was a very good run for Eli.

Great post.

I like this Rock Star take on manning:

Eli Manning

The narrative sure has changed for former first-overall selection out of Ole Miss, Eli Manning who was considered a near bust for the New York Giants. Covered in the giant shadow of his brother Peyton Manning, Eli entered the 2007 season with 54 touchdown passes and 45 interceptions in three seasons while completing just about 55 percent of his passes.

He had moments where he looked sharp, but threw interceptions at an alarming rate and that only got worse in 2007. Manning completed 56.1 percent of his passes for 3,336 yards with 23 touchdowns and 20 interceptions.

Then Eli got hot in the playoffs and found himself winning his first of two Super Bowls, both against the heavily-favored New England Patriots. What people seem to forget in their praise of Eli is he never would have won that first if not for a miraculous catch by receiver David Tyree. Manning threw a desperation pass up for grabs and being a third-and-5 play, it could have ended the comeback drive that led to the win.

The Giants defense stifled the Pats in that game and even had a great stand in the second quarter after an Eli pick that helped keep New England from putting their foot on the Giants throats. If not for that defense, a miraculous play by Tyree and dropped passes by New England in their rematch at Super Bowl XLVI Manning would be seen in a different light.

Without any rings, Eli would be harshly criticized for throwing an average of 16.5 interceptions per season, including an embarrassing three seasons of more than 20. In 2007, he threw 23, 2010 he tossed 25 and in 2013 he had a ridiculous 27 interceptions.

Football is the ultimate team sport, but a team victory gives a quarterback immunity for the rest of his life apparently.

That indeed was a very good run for Eli.

Great post.

Let's not forget his clutch 4th quarter drive in the super bowl (his second one) to score the game winning touchdown ( not FG) and one of the all time great passes in NFL history to Manningham to get the Giants out of their own end.

Let's not forget his clutch 4th quarter drive in the super bowl (his second one) to score the game winning touchdown ( not FG) and one of the all time great passes in NFL history to Manningham to get the Giants out of their own end.

Let's not forget how clutch Flacco was in his SB post season. He had 3 TDs passing and a defense that gave up 31 points \, He played the whole game and didn't have to rely upon his defense to allow him to only have one good drive all game. Flacco needed to play the full 4 quarters. That's clutch. Eli was bailed out no matter what time of the game his TD pass happened.

Oh my soul, that’s right.

That was amazing.

Key note, it was not a game winning FG.

Great post.

• Like 1

Let's not forget Eli won not just one, but two NFC championships on the road, in overtime, in horrible conditions. He's had some of the most clutch moments in the history of this great game. Tough SOB as well.

Only Qb in NFL history to beat a 18-0 team in the super bowl.

Noone in the world is saying that Joe Flacco is a HOF candidate. They are just saying that Eli is not either because they have similar career stats.

Manning:

4 pro bowls

Brees:

11 pro bowls

There is the difference between HOF and not HOF. And there are many more stats that can be thrown out there about these two that will say the same.

Bingo.

Elis numbers are pretty much what the new normal will look like. If you hold down a starting job for years and dont get hurt.

As pointed out here. Dalton, Flacco, Ryan... all on pace to match Elis numbers. None of them belong in the hall.

When youre taking your grandkids through the hall, and see a bust of Eli, and the kid asks who that is, what is the answer.

Well kid, he was a pretty good qb. Played a lot of years. Amassed some numbers. Was never dominant. Was never even top three. Got hot and hit a couple of Super Bowls. But his brother and father were good and he played in New York.

Bingo.

Elis numbers are pretty much what the new normal will look like. If you hold down a starting job for years and dont get hurt.

As pointed out here. Dalton, Flacco, Ryan... all on pace to match Elis numbers. None of them belong in the hall.

When youre taking your grandkids through the hall, and see a bust of Eli, and the kid asks who that is, what is the answer.

Well kid, he was a pretty good qb. Played a lot of years. Amassed some numbers. Was never dominant. Was never even top three. Got hot and hit a couple of Super Bowls. But his brother and father were good and he played in New York.

And then the kid asks, "Why is he in here with Brees, dad?", and the father replies, "Because the hall of fame is just a hall of image of the new york media." "It's meaningless son, just outright meaningless in the big picture."

"Hence eli manning. I think that's his name ...?"

W Moon HOF Qb win% 493 no super bowl titles

Fouts HOF Qb win% 503 no super bowl titles

Jurgensen HOF Qb win% 487 no super bowl titles

Namath HOF Qb win% 500 one super bowl win.

Eli manning win% 527 two Super bowl wins and 2-0 in Super Bowls only Qb too beat a 18-0 team and 2-0 vs Brady in the super bowl.

Also has more passing yards and tds then any of those other great HOF Qbs.

Mmmm he will be voted in, and should be.

Thanks.

Daddy, isn't the point of this game to win titles, not amass yards because you play in a dome and your team sucks so much they're always losing and you're throwing? Yes son, but many people who know nothing about football just cling to stats. They used to be dungeons and dragons nerds, but then fantasy came along and these dorks started spouting stats with no context.

Daddy, isn't the point of this game to win titles, not amass yards because you play in a dome and your team sucks so much they're always losing and you're throwing? Yes son, but many people who know nothing about football just cling to stats. They used to be dungeons and dragons nerds, but then fantasy came along and these dorks started spouting stats with no context.

Yes son. Titles are more important. Thats why if you look right over there, youll see Michael strahan, leader of the defense that actually won the titles.

Yes son. Titles are more important. Thats why if you look right over there, youll see Michael strahan, leader of the defense that actually won the titles.

Daddy, he only won one title. I'm a little kid and I know that. You shouid lay off the weed. What was your dragon name?

NFL Network is currently featuring all the Super Bowl Champs, a different one every hour. I think they are up to the 85 Bears at this moment. Already have the 2007 and 2011 shows being recorded. Definitely looking forward to reliving the most CLUTCH QB in NFL history at the apex of his Genius! Happy Memorial Day to all.

NFL Network is currently featuring all the Super Bowl Champs, a different one every hour. I think they are up to the 85 Bears at this moment. Already have the 2007 and 2011 shows being recorded. Definitely looking forward to reliving the most CLUTCH QB in NFL history at the apex of his Genius! Happy Memorial Day to all.

If they show it, Elis pass to Toomer before the half in the 07 Dallas playoff game is a thing of beauty. Dallas was the #1 seed that year. Road warrior. No home playoff games. Only one in his second title drive. Clutch

Wow, and it will be so great to see Mark Rypien amd and Jeff Hotstetler and Joe Flacco and Jim Plunkett (who won 2 superbowls) and Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson and Doug Williams.

All Hall of Famers for sure. They all QB'd teams to a SB.

Wow, and it will be so great to see Mark Rypien amd and Jeff Hotstetler and Joe Flacco and Jim Plunkett (who won 2 superbowls) and Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson and Doug Williams.

All Hall of Famers for sure. They all QB'd teams to a SB.

No no no.

How many of those listed have won Super Bowls plus have thrown for over 51000 yards and 339 tds.

How many of those others you’ve listed have thrown for over 4000 yards six times, and tossed over 25 plus tds seven times?

Mmm

Eli has.

He’s a HOF.

Thanks.

No no no.

How many of those listed have won Super Bowls plus have thrown for over 51000 yards and 339 tds.

How many of those others youve listed have thrown for over 4000 yards six times, and tossed over 25 plus tds seven times?

Mmm

Eli has.

Hes a HOF.

Thanks.

So it's about stats? Not super bowls? And if so, is it yearly average or total as of the year they vote?

So it's about stats? Not super bowls? And if so, is it yearly average or total as of the year they vote?

Lol you can spin it anyway you want.

Eli has won two Super Bowls has the stats and as a winning percentage better then other Qb this are in the HOF.

I guess you will disappoint when you hear that he is going in.

Thanks for the reply.

Eli has a winning percentage better then other Qb this are in the HOF.

Seriously? He is only like 9 games over .500. Do you seriously believe that? Well, that's how Manning fans make their arguments. Just making things up.

Look At post # 344.

I just posted winning percentage of four HOF qbs that are worst then Eli.

You too can look it up

I do seriously believe it’s a fact.

Hey thanks for the reply, always a pleasure.

Lol your a funny person.

Look At post # 344.

I just posted winning percentage of four HOF qbs that are worst then Eli.

You too can look it up

I do seriously believe its a fact.

Hey thanks for the reply, always a pleasure.

Lol your a funny person.

Yeah, he cracks me up too.

So Eli is best in winning % in nfl Hall pf Famers?

Who said that? But comparing Flacco and Eli is kinda funny. Lol.