Sign in to follow this  
cbfalcon

Amazon to open Grocery Store without checkout lines

Now THIS is a game changer. Could even make it convenient enough for me to start eating food again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/01/21/amazon-set-open-its-grocery-store-without-checkout-line-public/1048492001/

SEATTLE After a year of testing with its own employees, Amazon plans to open its store that lets you browse, grab and walk out skipping the checkout line, but not the bill to the public Monday.

The convenience store and its proprietary technology, made up of hundreds of cameras and sensors and requiring a new Amazon app, dangled the promise of solving a bedrock complaint for shoppers long checkout lines when it was unveiled just over a year ago. The high-tech approach, crafted by the company that's most visibly changed how Americans shop in recent years, suggested grocery shopping was on the cusp of its biggest breakthrough since bar codes.

Now THAT would be something :thumbsup:

But, only further cuts us off from social interaction. Chit chat in the checkout line is one of the last places people talk to those outside their bubble. Oh well, itll be convenient as fock

Awesome. We should definetly bring in some more of that sweet uneducated unskilled labor from Mexico and Central America so they can not do these kind of jobs replaced by technology.

Now THAT would be something :thumbsup:

But, only further cuts us off from social interaction. Chit chat in the checkout line is one of the last places people talk to those outside their bubble. Oh well, itll be convenient as fock

The future looks scary as Fock man. Huge unemployment. People completely narcissistic and cut off from real human contact. Its like 1984 man. The party members and the mass of the proles.

I enjoy going to the grocery store, especially with my kid.

We prefer Stop and Shop, because it has "do it yourself" check out lines.

Without checkout lanes how will I find if if Jennifer & Brad are getting back together?

:D

I spend my whole time telling my kid "no, put the candy back"

My mother had to stop bringing my little brother to the store for exactly that reason. :lol:

My mother had to stop bringing my little brother to the store for exactly that reason. :lol:

Do the same with my youngest. He hasn't figured out that he needs to put the candy in his pocket and not ask.

There is a 'cryptocurrency' angle to this. This is IoT technology that can and probably will be involved in this going forward. There was an insufficiently substantiated rumor floating around that IOTA and Amazon were collaborating on a way to allow IOTA to be the backbone of sensor technology to enable this sort of thing.

At the present, what you see in that article sounds like iteration one of the tech, with copious amounts of cameras. I think the refined end product is going to simultaneously simpler and more sophisticated, and I think it's going to disrupt the packaging industry: packages with RFID/NFC readable characteristics right in the cardboard, paper and styrofoam.

Shoplifting will be virtually eliminated, unless you want to do something like completely remove the product from the package and put it in your own/pockets without being detected by smart cameras, because you'll pay with an instant transaction from your 'wallet' when you leave and the sensors detect the RFID signature from the packages leaving the store.

That means you'll have to be identified by your wallet's signature prior to entering the store as well.

Interesting crazy Big Brother/Mark of the Beast stuff coming in the future.

Do the same with my youngest. He hasn't figured out that he needs to put the candy in his pocket and not ask.

Right? is there an easier way for kids to get some candy

Oh, I wasn't considering that this would crush our economy or lead to Allen Iverson taking over and enslaving us. I just thought it would be cool to walk right in, grab some lemon popsicles for dinner, and walk right out. But if it means they are going to matrix my grandchildren, I'll stand in line.

The future looks scary as Fock man. Huge unemployment. People completely narcissistic and cut off from real human contact. Its like 1984 man. The party members and the mass of the proles.

Ive done some reading on this. It doesnt HAVE to be a bad thing.

In a utopian version were all freed from manual labor and can spend time learning, bettering ourselves intellectually, bonding with our family, pursuing hobbies and interests etc. This will require a substantial guaranteed minimum income though since, yes, most of us will be unemployed in the traditional sense.

But Im a realist (or a pessimist, if you must) and so I agree that the dystopian hellscape version is far more likely.

Right? is there an easier way for kids to get some candy

My daughter is even way behind your sons. She sticks her face right about 6 inches in front of the candy, then looks back at me with a super sweet smile to see my expression.....then if I poker face her well enough, she makes a clearing the throat sound. That's when I usually give her a speech about the homeless not having any candy and I point out that I bought her a hoverboard the week after Christmas.

My daughter is even way behind your sons. She sticks her face right about 6 inches in front of the candy, then looks back at me with a super sweet smile to see my expression.....then if I poker face her well enough, she makes a clearing the throat sound. That's when I usually give her a speech about the homeless not having any candy and I point out that I bought her a hoverboard the week after Christmas.

Isn't it amazing how short their memories are, when they want them to be.

Isn't it amazing how short their memories are, when they want them to be.

When my daughter was about 18 months old, we walked into a CVS to grab a prescription refill for me. She pointed to the candy area and kept mumbling about a small yellow ball with hearts on it. I had no idea what she was talking about. I told her the toys were the other direction, but she ignored me and hopped right over to the 30 bags of jolly ranchers and reached behind them to grab a yellow ball with hearts on it that I suddenly remembered her wanting about 6 weeks prior from the same CVS and that she had obviously stashed.

In truth, it confused me greatly.

When my daughter was about 18 months old, we walked into a CVS to grab a prescription refill for me. She pointed to the candy area and kept mumbling about a small yellow ball with hearts on it. I had no idea what she was talking about. I told her the toys were the other direction, but she ignored me and hopped right over to the 30 bags of jolly ranchers and reached behind them to grab a yellow ball with hearts on it that I suddenly remembered her wanting about 6 weeks prior from the same CVS and that she had obviously stashed.

:lol: :wub:

And how could you possibly not buy it at THAT point? LOL

:wub: