Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Offensive Coordinator Study

Well, it is a nice read.

and the info is helpful to those who know how to use it.

I'm of the mind it is not my place to provide run-of-the-mill content. I'm also of the belief most of the people who see this are capable of comprehending it, so it is a matter of getting people to realize it is there.

Believe it or not, I've been doing almost this exact same thing for years.

When you get to the next level, you'll try to account for injuries. So what you're going to need to do is break up shares into RB1, RB2, RB3, RB4, RB5, WR1, WR2, WR3, WR4, WR5, TE1, TE2, TE3, etc. Then you have to write software to download all of the game logs from pro-football-reference, parse injuries and snap counts to see who was the WR1 for instance that game, and then assign your shares accordingly.

So say a guy like Leveon Bell gets suspended or someone loses their starting job, you still reflect that the OC gave the ball to his lead back X percentage of the time or whatever.

If fantasy ever became a full-time job for me, that might be a possibility. The sad thing is that it is not and it was difficult for me just to meet the deadline for this story as currently constructed. That's not Mike's fault, just the reality of the situation right now.

I'm of the mind it is not my place to provide run-of-the-mill content. I'm also of the belief most of the people who see this are capable of comprehending it, so it is a matter of getting people to realize it is there.

Don't go to far, your red zone TDs is a bunch of who shot John BS. When I get the time ill check this out.

Really good read. :cheers:

Thanks Matt.

Don't go to far, your red zone TDs is a bunch of who shot John BS. When I get the time ill check this out.

I'm mot sure what you mean here, but I'll be standing by. The RZ article isn't supposed to be a game-changer as much as it is a who-did-what inside the 20, 10 and 5.

I dont care for alot of peoples opinions about things. When you state comprehend, it becomes a silly word. I can look at SOS and ill ask if the editor is just useing stats from the previous year. I want to know things like- who they play at home, what people they drafted who will make a difference, did they make any changes with coaches, did they pick up anyone from another team. Then you compare it to peoples projections and how they configure things and like I have posted before, 2 QBs that throws for 35 Tds does it really matter how many are in the red zone ? It becomes a useless stat like RISP in baseball, who should have a better batting average with a pitcher struggling with control and in the stretch. Bottom-line I'm trying to win, I want to know what the majority of people are thinking based on what they read and how ill get around you. When I read expert opinions it turns into everyone goes down the same rabbit hole, but to FFtodays credit I found this site as the best thinking outside the box site. And even though my posts are not going to make you happy, its not worth your time to boot me and for me to make a new id.

I dont care for alot of peoples opinions about things. When you state comprehend, it becomes a silly word. I can look at SOS and ill ask if the editor is just useing stats from the previous year. I want to know things like- who they play at home, what people they drafted who will make a difference, did they make any changes with coaches, did they pick up anyone from another team. Then you compare it to peoples projections and how they configure things and like I have posted before, 2 QBs that throws for 35 Tds does it really matter how many are in the red zone ? It becomes a useless stat like RISP in baseball, who should have a better batting average with a pitcher struggling with control and in the stretch. Bottom-line I'm trying to win, I want to know what the majority of people are thinking based on what they read and how ill get around you. When I read expert opinions it turns into everyone goes down the same rabbit hole, but to FFtodays credit I found this site as the best thinking outside the box site. And even though my posts are not going to make you happy, its not worth your time to boot me and for me to make a new id.

I see what you are saying.

a dominant player is a dominant player.

but this kind of info is more useful for those questionable players.

case in point Cecil Shorts.

solid receiver, and there was one year, where based strictly on stats, he was a high end #2 WR.

But the reality is he was a garbage time champ. Really good at finding the soft spot in the zone and made a lot of fantasy owners very happy in the second half of the fourth Quarter. His red zone numbers were not great because lots of teams would switch from zone to man in the red zone and this type of stat tells you that he's not as good a WR as the numbers that year indicated.

And truth be told, he was not able to duplicate those numbers and was never much more than a WR3 after that.

My rationale is that it is tougher to make plays in the red zone because the field is shorter and there are more defenders per square foot of playing field.

While there are many ways to use this data, one thing the red zone stats tell us is who has the ability to overcome these obstacles.

sometimes it's a good way to tell if a WR is likely to break out or if he has hit his peak statistically.

I see what you are saying.

a dominant player is a dominant player.

but this kind of info is more useful for those questionable players.

case in point Cecil Shorts.

solid receiver, and there was one year, where based strictly on stats, he was a high end #2 WR.

But the reality is he was a garbage time champ. Really good at finding the soft spot in the zone and made a lot of fantasy owners very happy in the second half of the fourth Quarter. His red zone numbers were not great because lots of teams would switch from zone to man in the red zone and this type of stat tells you that he's not as good a WR as the numbers that year indicated.

And truth be told, he was not able to duplicate those numbers and was never much more than a WR3 after that.

My rationale is that it is tougher to make plays in the red zone because the field is shorter and there are more defenders per square foot of playing field.

While there are many ways to use this data, one thing the red zone stats tell us is who has the ability to overcome these obstacles.

sometimes it's a good way to tell if a WR is likely to break out or if he has hit his peak statistically.

But by your logic the person who writes the info is wrong, every year is a different book if you take the time to break down things in a sense like your betting your house. I don't have that much killer instinct after playing so many years, but give me 5 minutes to hear the rules of any league and I should make money. And I'm being honest when I say when ESPN comes out about a player and all other sites line up, I know what everyone else is thinking going into a draft.

If a person projects Brady and Rodgers to both have 35 TDS and Rodgers has 2 times more red zone TDs, it tells me to take Brady or to assume the editor is wrong on his projections.

The criticism reminds of the Teddy Roosevelt quote about how easy it is just to be a critic.

Doug, great read and thank you, as always, for your insights, which I take as food for thought (and respect for your audience) vs an attempt to be the 'end all' analysis.

I think most who make this site one of their most important resources do their own homework. I agree this type of info helps you spot certain tendencies such as those instances where a players talent might not match his usage etc.

I would add there are fantasy football resources that charge more and provide far less than the contributors and the members at fft do

• Like 2

I would add there are fantasy football resources that charge more and provide far less than the contributors and the members at fft do

Sounds like a testimonial. :thumbsup: