Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Amazon receives 238 bids for its second headquarters

I submitted my bid as well. I got 52 acres of open land available

combine it with bunny and you could have thousands

For starters I never said cities shouldnt bid on HQ2. I said its a shame they are courting such a bad employer.

And I never responded to your post by characterizing it as they shouldn't bid. I pointed out how silly it is to characterize it as 'a shame'.

Because it isn't. It's the wrong characterization, and I pointed out why and how.

I would sit here unpacking your other strawmqn claims but that would only invite more Mensa Troubadour responses and you have more idle time than anyone else here.

HTH

But I don't post more than you. You've posted more than me. In fact, you've posted more than almost anyone. Since 2004, you have over 48,000 posts. Since 2009, I have 7,500 posts. That means you have put up 3700 posts a year. That's 71 per week.

I have put up 938 posts a year. That's 18 a week.

You need to stop claiming stuff that is absolutely untrue.

And you need to actually argue what I said, not what you invent in your head.

That doesn't make it a shame, and it's irresponsible to not attempt to draw a monster employer like Amazon. It would, perhaps, be a shame that an individual would take such a job.

But then consider this: in a market which is truly healthy - not 'liberal "we have to get used to the new normal of 10% unemployment"' healthy - the market participants are FORCED to adjust their employment practices to remain competitive with others.

In short: if you understand business and economics, you understand that the single biggest and most effective check on bad employers is great markets.

And not adding Amazon to a market is not the way to accomplish that.

I'll give you another chance to support your contention, MDC, that my explanation to you is 'full of strawmen and nonsense'.

It may look like Greek to you (you appear to understand business as well as you get conservatives), but it is sound reasoning, and perfectly defensible.

And I never responded to your post by characterizing it as they shouldn't bid. I pointed out how silly it is to characterize it as 'a shame'.

Because it isn't. It's the wrong characterization, and I pointed out why and how.

But I don't post more than you. You've posted more than me. In fact, you've posted more than almost anyone. Since 2004, you have over 48,000 posts. Since 2009, I have 7,500 posts. That means you have put up 3700 posts a year. That's 71 per week.

I have put up 938 posts a year. That's 18 a week.

You need to stop claiming stuff that is absolutely untrue.

And you need to actually argue what I said, not what you invent in your head.

He makes a post about 4X as often but you type about 25X more words per post. So who wins?

He makes a post about 4X as often but you type about 25X more words per post. So who wins?

I'm guessing the one with something worth saying - and if the skulls of mush inside weren't so rock hard outside, I'd get my points done in half the words.

No one, everyone loses.

My company looked into some preliminary traffic studies and the feasibility of relocating a train station at one the Chicago sites.

No one, everyone loses.

That's silly too. PS: the posters that are worth befriending are not the posters you're looking to impress.

That's silly too. PS: the posters that are worth befriending are not the posters you're looking to impress.

The posters worth befriending are the ones that I do not need to try to impress.

It was a joke edjr. Plenty of businesses operate in those cities despite high taxes.

GE got a massive tax deal to move their HQ. Amazon will get the same.

That's a long a$$ short list..

• Atlanta, GA
  • Austin, TX
  • Boston, MA
  • Chicago, IL
  • Columbus, OH
  • Dallas, TX
  • Denver, CO
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Miami, FL
  • Montgomery County, MD
  • Nashville, TN
  • Newark, NJ
  • New York City, NY
  • Northern Virginia, VA
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Toronto, ON
  • Washington D.C.

DEATH MATCH!!

My county made a list. We just lost Discovery Communications so I am sure they are throwing money at Amazon.

I read the Amazon HQ2 request for proposals a few weeks ago and theyre asking for 1) a metro area of 1m or more residents, 2) quick access (30 min by car) drive to a major airport hub, 3) immediate access (2 miles) to major highways, 4) a downtown location and 5) access to a young tech savvy workforce. They also want up to 8 million square feet and 100 acres of land.

If this is honestly what Amazon is looking for Philadelphia ticks pretty much all of the boxes. Second highest proportion of colleges / universities of all US cities, a ton of available space for new build at the Navy Yard and Schuylkill Yards, and access to NYC and DC while being far cheaper than both.

I read the Amazon HQ2 request for proposals a few weeks ago and theyre asking for 1) a metro area of 1m or more residents, 2) quick access (30 min by car) drive to a major airport hub, 3) immediate access (2 miles) to major highways, 4) a downtown location and 5) access to a young tech savvy workforce. They also want up to 8 million square feet and 100 acres of land.

Dallas has all of these, plus a bigger airport, 2 airports in fact.... And no question all the land they desire.

Anywhere is possible for sure, I just I'd don't see them going anywhere North, West or tax heavy.

It will be Denver.

I tend to think Amazon wouldnt put a second HQ in the western US.

I tend to think Amazon wouldnt put a second HQ in the western US.

For meeting/travel purposes it would be easier.

If the time zone difference is too great it will make scheduling meetings a headache, plus business travel is easier between Denver/Seattle. Not to mention Denver is one of the nicest and "hippest" cities in the country.

It could be a different city, i am wrong all the time, but my gut feel is they will choose Denver.

For meeting/travel purposes it would be easier.

If the time zone difference is too great it will make scheduling meetings a headache, plus business travel is easier between Denver/Seattle. Not to mention Denver is one of the nicest and "hippest" cities in the country.

It could be a different city, i am wrong all the time, but my gut feel is they will choose Denver.

I just assumed a company as big as Amazing me would want a presence on both coasts and access to NYC / DC for connections to the financial markets and lobbying purposes. Dunno.

I like how it is cities for all of them EXCEPT Northern Virginia, VA and Montgomery County, MD...

Amazon: The Decision

hosted by LeBron James

:dunno:

Reality is right, that's a long a$$ short list - besides "look at me" why release that list and call it "short"?

Reality is right, that's a long a$$ short list - besides "look at me" why release that list and call it "short"?

20 down from 238 is considerably small, less than 10% - I'd say that makes it short. :dunno:

It's the ATL. They literally can triple their black workforce just by locating there.

Biz sense. You don't haz it.

WTF does "kinda d1cks" even mean when contemplating drawing a mega corporation to your State? You get Amazon with a major operation in your State, and you're fiscally more sound, and your citizens are going to earn more and pay more taxes.

This is not difficult to understand. You do what you should to make your State's environment as conducive to business as possible.

Smart Governors like Scott Walker of Wisconsin get it, and attract companies like Foxconn as a result.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:doh:

Smart Governors like Scott Walker of Wisconsin get it, and attract companies like Foxconn as a result.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:doh:

Not sure what this means, but would you rather FoxConn DIDN'T come to WI and create jobs? Would you rather have had jobs go somewhere else?

Even if FoxConn came in and only created 20 jobs total, that's 20 jobs WI would NOT have had.

It is the Busiest Airport not the largest.

Orlandos is the busiest only for a couple months out of the year though.